Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New 2005 Altima: Interior and other info

Comments

• jumpnjoejumpnjoe Posts: 34
    Cool Max,

Glad it worked out for you. I think you'll be happy with it. Sounds like you got a good deal. What color did you decide on?

I don't know what the stats say about the Accord vs. Madza, but I know that I fit more comfortably in the Accord and in the Mazda, I felt like it was a tight fit. Just one man's opinion.

Joe
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Congratulations on the Nissan. I kinda knew you would get it. You seem kinda fustrated though yesterday on these boards though. Enjoy the Nissan!
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Some dealers treated me like I was nothing. That drives me CRAZY.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase.

The car is less than $240 a month and it will be paid off in 18 months because I put $14K down.
  • jumpnjoejumpnjoe Posts: 34
    Dealers can pay the price for their stereotypes. You probably put more down than 95% of buyers out there and because you are young, they ignored you. Too bad it's that way.
  • pda97pda97 Posts: 88
    The V6 is now rated at 250 hp while delivering 20/30 MPG. Not bad !
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,743
    With premium gas going towards $3 a gallon this summer, it will still cost a bundle. I wish that they would get it to run well on regular.
  • rampedramped Posts: 358
    The regular/premium debate about the Nissan v-6 has gone on for years, but my experience and that of many others is that the engine runs fine on regular, but it isn't as efficient (small horsepower/gas mileage sacrifice). I have usually run 89 octane in my Maxima and done just fine.
  • ultimaultima Posts: 96
    This is from the 2005 Altima Manual
    Technical & Consumer Info Section 9-3:

FUEL RECOMMENDATION

For 2.5L engine

Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 91).

For 3.5L

Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 91).

For improved vehicle performance, NISSAN recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI number (Research octane number 96).
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    Which model and color did you get?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    With Charcoal Cloth.

I washed "Allana" today and she is beauiful!

Love that car, but nothing can compare to my ole 1991 Honda Accord EX.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    Just returned from a test drive of a 2005 Altima SL 3.5. (With NAV and Traction Control / Air Bag Pkg.)

Overall, given that this is a FWD car, it is a pretty impressive effort.

I had driven a 3.5 automatic (4-speed) just after introduction. The difference between that car and this one was more dramatic than I would have expected. The interior materials, fit and finish are clearly improved. The NVH improvement is substantial. And the 5-speed automatic has an excellent man-u-matic mode. Very well executed and to my taste.

The ride and handling under mildly aggressive driving was solid, firm, well damped and responsive.

The 3.5 L V6 is still a very good motor. At 250 HP / 249 TQ through this trans., it certainly delivers performance that most anyone would find adequate. And most would likely find sporty. With an EPA rating of 30 highway and a 20 gal. tank, the cruising range potential is useful and pretty remarkable.

If FWD were not an issue for me, I would very seriously consider this car. For just over $30K list as driven, with a pretty effective NAV system, this looks to me like a attractive package.

Just my $.02 contribution (less $.03 rebate – I owe $.01!!!)

- Ray
    Impressed.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    "Just my $.02 contribution (less $.03 rebate – I owe $.01!!!)"

That was funny.

Sat in a basic 2.5S at the NY Auto Show. I very much like the redesigned center stack and improved tactile feel of the controls. I thought the seat fabric was a BIG disappointment, however, and I'm not sure its any better than the outgoing iteration. The Suzuki Verona I was in had nicer material, and stickered at 16,800. (Granted, its the only facet in which that car is better than the Altima, but worth noting...)

~alpha
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    why is FWD an issue?

just curious.
  • andy71andy71 Posts: 96
    Reading all your posts has convinced me that you know about as much about cars as the people who design and build them. Are you majoring in Automotive Engineering or something similar? If you were in the market for a mid size car what car would you buy?
    Btw, have you sat inside a loaded V6 Altima(2005 model). Seems like all the interior improvements Nissan made to the Altima is only limited to the V6 version.
    no, the interior changes are all the way down to the base 2.5 and 2.5s.
    I appreciate your comments and feedback. I would like to be clear in that I am not an engineer, nor am I pursuing a career in Automotive Engineering (I dont want to portray myself as something Im not). However, I do have a very intense passion for transportation, specifically automobiles. My fondness tends to be toward the practical, which is why I like sedans, and why I know more about the best sellers than exotics and those priced in the upper strata. I thoroughly also enjoy facts and driving, which is where most of my commentary comes from, and I read EVERYTHING I can about vehicles I find interesting. Regarding driving- even if its just a 15 minute test drive, if you know what youre looking for, you can tell spades about a vehicles design, where corners were cut, etc. I think most consumers have a problem matching their actual needs against the right design, and balancing what they WANT vs. what they need.

I was fortunate to have visited NYIAS with some of the members of the Subaru Crew Cafe here at Edmunds.com. Most notably, Bob, rsholland, was very interesting to talk to, and stated that he really enjoyed all vehicles, which I feel as well.
    If somehanded me a 3 cylinder Chevy Metro with an automatic, I could still have fun with it, and evaluate it based on its intended purpose, and against its competitors. They're just cars.

I guess thats a long answer to a short question, my apologies. ( I do like talking about myself, lol).

My pick in the family sedan category. Hmmn. Right now, encompassing everything from safety, fuel efficiency, reliability, resale, room and performance, Id have to go with The Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder with Side Curtain Airbags. At 23,230, on the sticker, its hard to fault its portfolio of assets.

HOWEVER, the most promising entry, I feel, for the immediate future, and the growing desire for AWD capability without SUV consumption- the 2005 Subaru Legacy. Certainly, I havent driven one, but the car is well styled, roomy, ergonomically near faultless, has a proven drivetrain, the latest safety features, and AWD- all for an expected $23,000 - $24,000 with auto.

My parents- both 49 yrs old- will be looking to make their final new vehicle purchase for at least 5 or 6 years, this fall. The Legacy is number one on the MUST SEE list.

~alpha
    have them check out the ford freestyle. wagon looks, with 3 rows of seats and AWD. should be a great crossover entry. it will come out this summer.
    Legendary Ford quality!!

My parents owned Fords and GMs up through the early 80s. They are done with American makes forever- seriously theres no going back for them. (The Fords moved them to GM, GM moved them Toyota, and with my aunts delightful Aspen experience, they bypassed Dodge altogether.).

~alpha
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "My parents owned Fords and GMs up through the early 80s."

I won't claim that Ford and GM have caught up to the Japanese brands in quality but the gap has certainly been closed and they are much better than they were 20 years ago. One shouldn't dismiss a car they like due to 20 year old data. My $.02.
    YOU talk to my parents and tell them that, ESPECIALLY when they've had no reason to leave the Japanese makes, but strong memories as to why to leave the domestics.

~alpha
This discussion has been closed.