Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrid Honda Accord

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    A manual HAH would have been guaranteed if the participants of this message board had participated in a Honda Hybrid marketing profile survey. A shame we were not asked!
  • Yes, I too use to love the thrill of goin thru the gears but because the U.S.A. has seen fit to retire trains (mass transit) in favor of a glut of semi trucks clogging our freeways which have turned our EXPRESS (ha!ha!)WAYS into giant parking lots....well, I just got tired of foot-leg & knee fatiuge from the constant stop&go that was a no-win aggrevation that only an automatic gave relief from. For you hardliners ...Go for it. You'll eventually wise up. Culliganman
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Traffic is a pain no matter what transmission. The transmission is not the problem it is the traffic.

Traffic is not a given either. I escaped to SD from the DC area 10 years ago. No traffic here. It has been years since I waited for more than 1 cycle at a stop light. My commute is less than 5 minutes - if I walk. Added bonus is no car inspections of any kind, no property tax on cars, speed limit is 75 on the highways and 65 on 2 lane roads (1 lane in each direction).

There would be absolutely no reason for me to pay more for a less efficient, less fun, less controlable transmission. A 4-cyl Accord hybrid with close to 200 hp and a manual tranny would be the hybrid I would prefer, and it would probably give the heavier, automatic V-6 a run for it's money in acceleration. All this while delivering better mpg at a lower cost.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Not lower cost. I bet a hybrid 4 cylinder would cost more than an LXV6.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    I suppose it is possible, but would it cost more than an EX V6 or a Hybrid V6?

BTW, make that a 4-cyl hybrid WAGON.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Low emission diesels are the answer. Wait 2 years and problem solved less expensively and less complicatedly.
  • >Low emission diesels are the answer. Wait
    >2 years and problem solved less expensively
    >and less complicatedly.

I guess I missed something is there going to be a diesel version of the Accord Hybrid?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I bet a hybrid 4 cylinder would cost more than an LXV6

So does an Accord EX-L (EX-L: $24,500; LXV6: $23,800). This was true back in Fall 1997 when I purchased my 1998 Accord (EX-L: $23,100; LXV6: $22,300).

But if Honda goes with Accord LX as a base, it should be possible to place Accord Hybrid (four cylinder) at about the same price as the LXV6 and both will have comparable features.

V6 seems to come at a premium of about $3K.
  • vietviet Posts: 847
    No way. Each upper trim level is about $2000 to $3000 more. I am falling in love with the Honda Accord Hybrid but the price is too high if including the NAV. This will be my 9th Honda.
  • For those who are interested, TheCarConnection.com has an article about the Honda Accord Hybrid:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7640&sid=27- - 4&n=157

OhioCarGuy
  • gatrhumpygatrhumpy Posts: 126
    That was a nice article, but the 0-60 times that they say are waaaaaaaaaaaay off. The Accord hybrid will clock 0-60 MPH at a flat 6.0 or 6.1 seconds, while my EX V6 will do 0-60 MPH in about 6.5 seconds. The hybrid is an interesting car, and I cannot wait to test drive one in December.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Blame it on Honda. The company is far too conservative in quoting the 0-60 time for Accord V6 itself (8.0s). But then, most people don’t go for all out drag racing anyway so 8.0s (Accord V6) and 7.5s (Accord Hybrid) may be quoted as a more realistic “everyday” run. In magazine runs, I anticipate HAH running 0-60 in about 6.5s, more often than not.
  • gatrhumpygatrhumpy Posts: 126
    I agree. The new Hybrid may be even quicker than that. All that I know is that I can't wait to test drive the hybrid.
  • Toyota's Synergy system is definitely more advance than IMA and is producing more power than IMA. Edmunds.com should do more homework before providing such bias statement.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    to which false statement are you referring?
  • xcelxcel Posts: 1,025
    Hi Edgar52:

Edmunds.com should do more homework before providing such bias statement.

___What biased statement? And if more power from HSD vs. IMA was relevant, how come the only Hybrid in Toyota’s stable is the slowest of all cars they sell here in the states vs. the AH which will be the fastest?

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    Edgar,

As somebody who doesn't own a honda and doesn't plan to buy the Accord Hybrid in any forseable future time frame, I trust my judgement is biased toward the unbiased and I've to seriously wonder if you are not doing the "grapes are sour" routine. I wonder how many people even remember that story from their childhood.

ksso
  • edgar52,

I see you just joined the forum and this is your first post. First Welcome!

If you will please review the current and archived threads you will find there has already been a lot of discussion on the subject.

Toyota's current hybrid system is the HSD; the synergy sytem was used in thier previous generation systems. The HSD is a "full hybrid" system which has a lot of merit compared to the "mild" hybrid system of the HAH which uses an IMA to assist the ICE.

That being said the implmentation of the HSD in the Prius , which is fully functional, is not performance oriented at all. A standard metric of performance, 0-60 mph accleration time, is very slow for the Prius in the range of 11.5 to 10.2 seconds. It is the almost the slowest Toyota vehicle in Toyota's line-up. The primary goal of the Prius was to be a live beta proof-of-concept of the HSD system; secondarily low emissions and high mileage. It was a success and is now being sold to Ford and is being applied to other vehicles in the Toyota line. Even the HSD system has its limitations , it is good for city driving and "surburban driving", a new term coined by one of the threaders meaning 35-50 mph range; not quite city and not quite highway. But the highway mileage of the Prius suffers a key reason is because one of the generators is always drawing power from the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine, normal motor in non-hybrid cars) even when the battery is fully charged. This is not efficient becuase there is ALWAYS a conversion loss when energy is changed from one form to another.

The IMAs hybrid implementation on the otherhand is very good on the highway. The HAH with IMA and VCM will achieve better performance (0.5 seconds better 0-60 mph than the non hybrid V6 Accord automatic) and better mileage ( 30/37 versus 21/30).

Power of the Honda Hbrid Accord will be in the range 6.5-6.0 seconds for 0-60 mph acceleration.

The is phenomally better than the Prius acceleration, worst case( best Prius to worst HAH)= 3.7 seconds better to best case ( worst Prius to best HAH) =5.2 seconds.

I don't think Edmunds made a mistake is their statement; It might have been you interpretation or bias in reading the statement. Edmunds was not making a theoretical comparison between HSD and IMA , but rather a comparison of the practical application in two vehicles : Prius versus HAH.

Again welcome to Edmunds forumms.

YMMV,
    MidCow
  • http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/honda/accord/100452039/roadtestar- ticle.html?articleId=103272&tid=edmunds.h..wkedmunds.firstdri- ve.1g.*

Edmunds says: ...the new Accord Hybrid's Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) system is designed to be the most powerful hybrid system ever built. "

Eat you hearts out Prius lovers!

YMMV,
    MidCow
  • mcardlemcardle Posts: 36
    Forgive me if this has been asked/ answered recently... went back through ~100 posts and didn't see it.

Honda's website shows an MSRP for a top of the line Accord (gas) as $28,700, with $500 delivery. Any idea of where they Hybrid will show up? Edmunds seems to think it will be $3,000 - $4,000 higher... thoughts?