Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'll go all out and say no, it's not possible.

You've got a wide, flat, pancake engine that certainly won't mate up to any Nissan trannies nor would it likely fit in the engine bay designed for a transverse in-line 4.

I doubt the engine bay is long enough, either.

I can't think of a more complex swap. Bring cubic money.

-juice
  • bigpapidobigpapido Posts: 18
    hey great blog man. you basically saved me a lot of time test driving the same cars i've been looking at. i'm seriously considering the STI too...i'm 25 now and am also worried that this is my last chance at something fast and impractical. the only concerns i have is that i live in LA/Orange county and so traffic is a concern. also, i've never actually owned a stick...so i'm worried that the STI may be too much car for a first timer. should i go with a WRX limited instead of the STI?
    A WRX Limited wagon will be a lot more practical, even if you do end up getting married and having 2.3 kids (I think the .3 means a dog).

STI in traffic is like a bull in a china shop.

-juice
  • john500john500 Posts: 409
    Anyone have any pointers on how to actually record a 0-60 mph time of 5 seconds with a Subaru STI? I bought one about a month ago and I'm just starting to punish it now. The first three times I've pushed it, I smelled fried clutch and the acceleration was poor. I believe I'm not used to the turbo lag. How do you optimize the launch without popping the clutch?

Thanks
    I'd avoid slipping the clutch entirely. Not worth the $$$ for the 2 seconds of fun you get in return.

Legacy owners report that they get the best rolling acceleration by slowly rolling into the throttle, i.e. not just flooring it.

-juice
  • fisherboyfisherboy Posts: 16
    First get your WRC credentials. Then rev to 5k and drop clutch. Keep foot down to 6800 rpm or so and shift to 2nd in a nanosecond. 60 should be coming up in 5sec, - 10th if you are a pro on a grippy surface and it is not to hot out.

Oh, be prepared to write checks if you do that very often. I take the rolling start approach and save the driveline the shock of the dropped clutch. Slipping the clutch gets you up speed fast enough for most mortals.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • iowadociowadoc Posts: 2
    Clunky thunky noise from trunk wing area since new 55,000 miles/16 months ago. Or maybe it's the rear shock area. It is beginning to get to me. Any suggestions regarding what it is/ is it fixable. 2nd WRX. 1st was a wagon. I need an STi wagon for my dog/bike/stuff. Dont make me go EVO. Only problem other than the noise was that it ate the turbo at 145. fixed under warranty....had 48K miles..at the time. I'm 50 y.o. and it's the most enjoyable ride Ive ever had. More stable than any beemer at warp-speed....but THE NOISE... help would be appreciated.
    Wheel bearings?

Do you hear it when you're coasting in neutral? That would help narrow it down. Is the pitch speed-dependent?

-juice
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    it's stock I suppose?

adding to juice; going over bump, turning, stopping?

I have a clunky thunky noises in my wagon too, but I know what they are. Too much slack on one brakeline and it knocks against the inside wheel well when the strut rises and drops.
    The other is the endlinks.

-Dave
  • fisherboyfisherboy Posts: 16
    I read in another forum (NASIOC?) that some STI owners had a clunk from the rear they traced to a sticky rear strut.
  • jus wondering if there are any other 20smth year old guys in my position? that is, going to college, interesting in fast cars and a little fast driving {0-60mph} and worried that it won't be practical to redline from a stoplight once in a while [every other light on fridays and sats] with future gas prices?

Unlike my high school friends who's parents financed their "fast and furious" scenes, i actually have 2 more years of undergrad be4 i can get my Subie STi, which i'm hoping will get decent styling by then. anyways, i just wanted to throw that out there....

p.s. i'm currently studying abroad in europe and 99% of cars here are diesel and 6spd, i've heard diesel yields good torque but it stills sounds like crap in my option...
  • casbah27casbah27 Posts: 1
    I've been researching AWD cars lately and am drawn to the fact that the STi has front, center, and rear limited slip differentials. It seems unstoppable. It's also significantly safer than the Evo and has the elegance of a naturally balanced engine configuration-the flat four.

However, I'm curious as to how these differentials work. I know that the rear is a "Torsen" type-ok, that's familiar.

The front is a "helical" type-is this essentially a generic way of saying Torsen?

And the center combines "a mechanical with an electronically controlled" type-What does this mean? Is the "mechanical" part simply a Torsen/helical type? And how exactly does it work in conjunction with the electronic one?

These are very technical questions and I appreciate any help or a hint as to where I could read about the details of the STi drivetrain.
  • Hi all, I'm in the market to look for an STi and have found most posts here really informative and interesting. I have some questions on your experience with STi before i consider if i should get one.

How has STi been been treating the owners on the road in terms comfort of ride and when there is bad traffic?

I have test drove a pre-owned STi from a Subaru dealer and it seems like i can't control the clutch too well due to the sports and short clutch. I have been driving stick for a while and never had problem controlling the clutch, but STi's seems to be foreign to me. I tried flooring the gas, but the jerks from the shifting of gears made my wife sick.. Am i not doing it right?

How do you get the hissing sound from the turbo when u change gear? I tried doing that but did not hear anything.

Also, is it advisable i go for a pre-owned STi if it's not too bad? Thanks a bunch in advance if you are assisting me with all these questions.
  • If you have a very hard commute every day this will not be probably the ideal car for you. It can be a daily driver but not when you experience bad traffic very often.
    I cannot tell if is your driving or your wife just doesn't enjoy being in this type of car.
    I'm guessing that you were a little slow in releasing the clutch (jerks from shifting, no hissing sound from turbo).
    A pre-owned performance car is always a risk but if you think you can save enough to make up for that I guess it is okay.
    Just drive a new one before you make a decision... to make sure you don't get a lot less by buying a used .
  • Thanks for the information.

Releasing the clutch faster will give me the hissing sound from turbo and reduce jerking? Do i need to rev to a certain RPM to shift gear and hear that hissing sound?

I might need to try again. I tried a preowned one but did not ask to try a new one. I just don't want to run into situation that i pay 34k for a new STi and 1/2year later, evo X and newer STi comes out and forces the older generation's price so much lower.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Discuss all the latest Subaru news, dropping gas prices, or just get to know some of your fellow forums fanatatics a bit better! :P

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• The more you rev the more you are going to hear the sound. Right now a brand new 2006 STI will cost about 31000. Try the new BMW 335 twin turbo. It is about 10000 more than the STI but is giving you everything you ever wanted in a car. Just brilliant. And that comes from an STI owner.
  • Are you driving an STi now or the BMW335? How different do you find these 2 cars? What is the $10k difference? Twin Turbo sounds exciting. I have not considered another car other than an STi. Thanks for opening my options!
  • I'm driving an STI but I wish I was driving that BMW. The sound that machine makes is intoxicating. If you can afford it I will say go for the BMW. Torque coming at 1400 RPM(compare with 4000 RPM for the STI) .. Unbelievable...absolutely no turbo lag...
    Just drive it..it will blow you away.

About 10000 dollars is the difference between a fast car and a perfect car.
This discussion has been closed.