Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• 5port5port Posts: 395
    They should rename that hold feature and call it the Winter Driving feature. Good idea.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    A reporter with a national magazine is hoping to talk with a consumer who took advantage of a 24-hour test drive or other extended vehicle test opportunity (including a car rental) and subsequently bought a car similar to the one s/he tested. If you have a story to share, please submit it to jfallon@edmunds.com along with your daytime contact info no later than Wednesday, March 9, 2005.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• camper1camper1 Posts: 6
    This question is for those who have other cars (and therefore can compare the aveo): is the vibration at the steering wheel normal for this type of vehicle? Mine is a 2004 with 12,000 miles, other than that, I am happy.

Camper
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    Vibration when? Sitting at idle cold? Idle warm? Has the vehicle had its first tune up yet (has 12,000 miles, is close)? While driving? Have the wheels been properly balanced and rotated yet? Has the four wheel alignment been checked/performed yet (has 12,000 miles)? etc....
    At normal highway speeds (50-55mph). I has been in the shop where they have checked everything they normally troubleshoot...still it has the shaking at the wheel. It has gradually gotten worse (to the point where you can visually see the wheel shaking) but the mechanics are unable to find anything wrong with it. Anybody else out there with this problem?
    What shop has checked it? Vibration at highway speed is 90% of time is due to the tires or wheels. You need to get the car into a place that has a road force variance tester (much more than just a wheel balancer) to properly check the tires and wheels. Occasionally poor front end alignment will also cause vibration at highway speeds.
  • i_l_aveoi_l_aveo Posts: 15
    I have less than 3k miles, I do feel some vibration on acceleration pedal at 65 mph but the car itself is not shaking at all.
    You have a good point about the tires. I took the vehicle to two different chevrolet dealers for repair. One said they check everything, tires, rims, balancing but nothing. The other replaced a tire rod (which I think was not the problem) but it still does it.

I agree with you and think this is had to definitely be related to tires or rims. I have actually jacked the car in the front and visually inspected the tires but can't detect it that way.

As for the "road force variance tester," I don't know if the chevrolet dealer has this type of equipment, I will ask them. If they don't have it, I may have to pay for this service myself to get to the bottom of this.

I love this car and want to keep it, so I need to find a solution.
  • shorti81shorti81 Posts: 6
    Well, my car is acting up again, i posted about this in nov (pg 11 i believe) and it started acting up again last nite. funny how it does this right around the time im due for an oil change! i called the dealership and made an appointment for 7 this morning (thank god i did cuz now the check engine light came on and it kept stalling on me, which is pretty scary when you're trying to turn left!). Has anyone else had this problem? Car hesitates when accellerating, kinda "kicks" just before you come to a full stop, sometimes stalls with no warning.
    Just wondering if this is a problem with just my car or if its happening with others.

Thanks
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    "I don't know if the chevrolet dealer..."

There was a lot of comment about wheel vibration on the Elantra threads about 4 years ago when I bought mine. Mine vibrated and I bought the standard $7 per tire Wal-Mart lifetime balancing and rotation. They fixed it the first time. Most people who went back to the dealer never got theirs fixed. Truth is that the typical tire dealer (even WallyWorld) sees about ten times as much of this problem as any car dealer.
    My aveo accelerates beautifully! It's one of the things I love in this car! (I also love the 600 watt base speaker). As for the transmission "kick," mine does it too! I is specially noticeable when coming from a high speed to a quick stop. It may be that these transmissions have that characteristic. I don't think that it means a defect or malfunction.

Let me know what the dealer finds!
  • shorti81shorti81 Posts: 6
    I just talked to the dealer and it is the same sensor that i had problems with in nov. how many kilometers does your aveo have on it camper1? mine has around 21000km. also do you drive an automatic or a standard.

i will let you guys know what sensor it is when i pick my car up.

thanks
    I have automatic transmission. I have about 13000 miles in my aveo. I am thinking about taking my car to a dealer with a Hunter's GSP9700 tire balancing machine. If the problem continues, I may have to buy new tires...
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    I would guess tires. Does it have Kumho's... I had a set slip their belts at 10000 miles... the tires were ruined. All the balancing in the world will not fix it. If the new tires do not fix it then I would point a finger at wheel bearings.
    GOT IT FIXED! I took the car to a third chevy dealer. The service department charged me $29.00 for the balancing of the 4 tires. They have e GSP9700 machine and now the card drives BETTER than when it was new!

It is a pitty that it took three dealers to fix the problem! (it really bothers me that the other dealers said they checked the balancing of the tires)OH, well. Thanks for all the help!
    Wow. $29.00 for a road force variance and balance check on a GSP9700. That was a deal. At least you now know where to take the car.
    I would suspect that if they only charge $29 for a proper balance, that the remaining service rates for maintenance are also reasonable.

Hitting a pot hole hard, curbing the tire, or many other things can throw the balance off. As well as the tires not being properly, or well balanced from day one.
  • zedmetalzedmetal Posts: 2
    Hi, sorry but i'm a complete new guy to this car, infact i haven't even gotten it yet, being shiped as i type. i was just woundering if any of you could give me advice, i wanna get the back windows on my car to go all the way down (not the half way down like they have for child safty of whatnot). i haven't had the chance to open the door itself and try stuff out, mostly cuz i don't have the car yet. so if any of you could help me that would be great. thank you for your help, peace.
  • oyveyooyveyo Posts: 12
    Does anyone know the polarity color codes for the Aveo rear speaker wires? Thanks
  • beliverbeliver Posts: 155
    zedmetal: there are a lot of cars that don't allow the rear window glass to go all the way down. It has nothing to do with "child safety" In most cases the design of the rear door does not have room to allow the glass to retract fully.

believer
  • I have test driven the Scion, Suzuki Reno, and the Chevy Aveo to the advice of some people on this message board. I took them home for the weekend, too. I found that while the Scion and Suzuki were most impressive because of their name, they were not the best preforming car. I fell in love with the Chevy Aveo. It handles like a dream. Before you so easily dismiss it, give a spin, but also test drive the other cars. You will see that the Chevy Aveo is the best car.
  • jjryanjjryan Posts: 9
    Anyone got a great deal online anywhere to get the window visors for the 4 door hatchback 2005 Aveo ?
  • twlkp76twlkp76 Posts: 3
    Why would you consider paying to have a problem that is obviously warranty related trouble shot? I was thinking about getting a new Aveo but this reminds me of the difficulty I had with Chevy Warranty service when my wife's Tahoe was new. Their attitude was, "We can't fix it so it's not a problem." We tried two different dealers and eventually had the problem fixed ourselves.
    Out of balance wheels and tires at 12,000 miles are not warranty related. Most shops recommend the balance be checked every other oil change as tires wear, road bumps and curbs get hit, braking hard or gunning it from a stop even once to chirp the tires is enough to mess with the wheel/tire balance.
  • lulaskylulasky Posts: 8
    No...I do not even USE that lock feature! I use mine as auto transmission only and STILL I have never gotten any better than 18 in the city!!! I HAVE TRIED IT WITHOUT ANYTHING ON, EG., AIR, HEAT, LIGHTS, ETC.

I'm beginning to get a little miffed about it since gas is over $2.00/gal here!!!! Any other ideas why.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED SINCE I AM FAR FROM EVEN BEING CLOSE TO RICH!!!!!! THANKS SO MUCH!

RANDY
  • parky129parky129 Posts: 50
    I would suggest a more moderate driving technique since gas mileage is lower when the engine is running at a faster revolution speed in lower gears. Unless you are climbing hills all the time the transmission should shift to overdrive and give greater mileage. Keep your foot off of the floorboard and let the transmission shift to higher gears. Gas mileage is best around 55 mph rather than 70 mph. I have never gotten less than 28mpg with my auto trans, but I drive in a normal fashion with normal startup and normal speed limit driving. am not suggesting that you are doing anything abnormal, but the mileage you are getting is abnormal. Try accelerating more slowly and let the transmission shift as you increase speed, jack rabbit starts are death on gas mileage.
    i WILL DO MY BEST TO FIND OUT. WILL YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW ABOUT AN EARLIER POST I READ...THAT THE REAR SPEAKERS HAVE A 600 WATT AMP? COULD THAT BE TRUE??????????? IF SO, I SHOULD GO AHEAD AND MOUNT THE HIGH QUALITY SUB-WOOFERS I GOT ON EBAY IN THE BACK PANEL THAT LIFTS AS THE HATCH IS RAISED.
    OK, I have tried everything you suggested and still I can't get 18 MPG. I am a reasonably intelligent 50 year old, and I fully understand 'moderation'...this car just won't do it when it comes to city driving. I don't know what else to do barring pulling my hair out! FYI-My hatchback is loaded with about every feature one can get except sunroof and cruise control.
    Hi,

Would you please explain "the 600 watt bass speakers". Is that standard equipment. I have never heard of that at all!!! Is it part of the standard package? How do I find out if min rears are 600 watts? Thanks so very much!
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Please stop typing in ALL CAPS. It is difficult to read and people think you are yelling at them.
  • parky129parky129 Posts: 50
    How many miles are on the car? possibly it isn't broken in yet? Sometimes mileage is low until you get a couple of thousand miles on the engine. Are the tires inflated to 30psi? I also have the hatchback with 5000+ miles on it have every option other than door locks and power widows. Have cruise and use it all the time when I can, never have gotten less than 28mpg here in Florida. Not many hills here, that could account for higher mileage but not 10mpg?