Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• I've now been driving a rented Aveo since November 29th. It had 1373 miles on the odometer when I picked it up, and now has about 4300. I called the rental agency as it was approaching 3000, to ask about the recommended oil change, and was told to bring it in for servicing or a swap when it hits 5000 miles. I'll probably swap it for something else this weekend... or maybe not.

The gas tank is too small. Only 10+ gallons. With an average of 28.8 mpg, that means I've had to fill up 11 times in 13 working days. And with such short range, I don't always have the luxury of being near a low-priced station when I need to fill up.

I guess the other thing is, I don't feel very safe on the freeway. I always pay attention to what's going on around me. But in the Aveo I don't have the maneuverability to avoid an accident, nor the horsepower to get past an SUV or a semi trying to change into my lane.

That's about it. Don't buy an Aveo if you're going to drive it like I do. It will go fast, but it's not designed to be driven fast. And it sure takes a long time to get up to speed, even if you keep the pedal to the floor and rev to 4000-5000 rpm in each gear.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    I used to drive my Chevy Sprint (3 cyc - 1 liter) to Watkins Glen and back to Long Island in the same day (700 mi. round trip). This included a friend and luggage. Your telling me the Aveo is no good for a trip like that...with 4 cyc?
  • 2004 Special Value Aveos are occasionaly advertised in Chicago for $6199.99

I'm sure that they will try to add whatever they can add to that price.
  • 5port - Last month I drove our Aveo from Los Angeles to Mammoth and back (300-350 miles?) and it was fine. I actually think this car is a good long distance cruiser - it's roomy, reasonably quiet and smooth, and has no problem doing 80mph. I also think the auto-transmission is excellent.

jojo - They aren't allowed to add anything to a listed price, they have to sell the car exactly as specified, at that price. (that is the law in CA, anyway) I occasionally see a SVM Aveo for $6999 - but no A/C in Los Angeles just doesn't work.
  • Tom,

The snow hasnt really come down yet actually. We have had a slight dusting but thats it! I will be heading to Springville for Christmas so I'm sure I'll get a taste..they always have alot of snow. I will keep you posted.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Can someone please tell me why the Aveo gets such low gas mileage. My 2004 VW Passat 1.8t gets about 27 MPG with mixed city/highway driving. So, what I'm seeing is a 170 hp VW (with Turbo) gets similar gas mileage as a 103hp Aveo. Somethings not right here. My Passat also weighs 1000 more lbs.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    The Aveo uses a fairly old engine design and does not have the latest technology for maximizing fuel economy, e.g. VVT. Also it's not a good idea to compare your fuel economy with that of someone else--YMMV in other words. You don't know how their driving habits, terrain etc. compare you yours. Who knows, maybe you'd get 35 mpg with the Aveo.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    It is true that driving habits play a role in fuel economy, but anyway you look at it, a 103 hp car should get better gas mileage than a 170hp vehicle. Driving habits only play so much a role.
    If the same driver, same conditions, same route--yes, I agree.

Example from my own experience:

Recent mpg on 138 hp compact sedan driven by my wife: 18 mpg

Recemt mpg on same car, driven by me: 38 mpg

Mpg on 4200 lb. Grand Caravan with 3.8L V6, driven by me: 30 mpg
  • When I was driving our Aveo, I got about 30 mpg mixed, and 34+ on the highway. Now that the gf is commuting in it, she only gets 25mpg. Mysterious!
  • when you turn the heat on or AC, you will get less mpg

if you have auto transmission, you will get less mpg than manual one
  • 5 stars front, 3 stars side.

Hey, it's better than a Z4.
  • I get 28 MPG in mostly around town driving but the gas tank is a little small for an ECONOMY car?

I live in North Collins we get the same weather that Springville gets. I will be back in NY in the spring.
  • I got my aveo 4 weeks ago, I still smell of oil burning after 700 miles. is it normal ?

other wise I am enjoying driving it.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Korean cars have a protective coating on the chassis, exhaust, etc that is applied at the factory to prepare the car for the journey to the USA by ship. The coating on my Elantra took 1 to 2 weeks to burn off. Enjoy your Aveo.
  • I have an 04 hatchback and have not noticed this problem, but since it has been getting colder outside, what I have noticed is that when first taking off in the car, it wants to run for several minutes in third gear, then when it gets warmed up, it will upshift. Worried me a little at first, but it does allow the engine to warm up a little more quickly. The heater works good, except when it is absolutely bitter cold out, then it must be run on high for the hour it takes to get to work. It is a zippy little car, with good gas mileage, perfect for my commute. Mine is loaded, automatic, a/c etc. When I go in a store, people are usually looking at it when I come out and they say "what kind of car is that, is it an electric car?" lol. Took it to Florida ( 980 miles) for 60 bucks in gas. Absolutely love it so far. Salesman was VERY in tune with the car, it's competitor's etc. Service has been very very good. Would highly reccommend it.
  • I read in some professional review that octane 87 is required for the aveo.

what he meant with that?

is octane 87 better than 93?

any body knows?
  • The Passat is a much heavier car. So you would think the fuel economy would be worse.

But the Aveo's horsepower and torque peak at a relatively high RPM level. So I think in a "mixed" driving environment, the Aveo is going to spend more time in the lower gears and higher engine speeds... climbing hills, trying to reach freeway speeds, etc.

I haven't driven a VW with the 1.8 turbo engine, but I imagine it has enough low-rpm torque so that it doesn't "need" to downshift as often.

And finally, turbo-charged engines are just more efficient overall.
    87 octane is the "regular unleaded" gas. It is good news that the Aveo doesn't need anything higher than 87 because the higher the octane rating, the higher the price.
  • I checked aveo manual and it says use octane 87 or higher.

less than that, will damage the engine