Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• I bought my 2004 Aveo LS Hatchback on December 1st 2004. With all the GM discounts going on at the time, I recieved quite a good price. I have most of the options except for the sunroof. Only major problem to date, was that the clock was replaced and the optional Dealer Installed side moldings came off in the cold weather.(Chevy- Parts)I drive the car between Gurnee,IL. and Milwaukee,WI.at high speeds and the car has not given me any problems even in high winds. I believe this vehicle is "The little engine that could".
  • Anybody know of any video games where you can drive an aveo?...I know it's a strange question, but I've been wondering recently. -Russ
  • jjryanjjryan Posts: 9
    haha haven't heard of any. Unless Gran Turismo uses it in the new one as a compact car but if they use a 5 door small hatchback they will probably use a Honda or something more foreign that's easier to customize and has plenty of real life options. Maybe they will introduce a Scion in the new version. Who knows? I haven't seen if it's even out yet to know or what the release date is.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    indeed a great car. i have been driving one for a week as a rental, and it is smooth, quiet, and powerful. much more refined than a civic in my opinion. at least you do not hear the tire noise from the wheel wells. civic has barely any insulation.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    would you buy a Chevy Aveo some day? Considering it's basically completely all Daewoo inside and out! It seems to be getting pretty fair marks from everyday drivers, including those reporting here on Edmunds.

Another question...how much of the Chevy Aveo is actually Chevrolet designed or built, in any way, besides the Chevy bow-tie?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• jjryanjjryan Posts: 9
    it's not a bad little car. i mean you get what you pay for. I have the 5 door LS hatchback and i've seen the clock issue problem posted on here but heck it's a clock who cares. As long as it has no mechanical and transmission issues creeping up on it i'm fine. Mine is just about to hit 500 miles.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    I must be older than most of you because I remember when it was almost guaranteed that the clock in your new GM or Ford car would only last a few months before it stopped telling the correct time. The 1960-80's were the dark age's in auto clocks. The issue of a bad clock in the Aveo is odd for today. Crappy supplier? Over voltage ? GM in its hugeness should be able to drop a different clock into production in weeks. I wonder if it is because they are so big that they do not know what is going on... no. that can't be it... there have been Aveo buy backs just for this clock issue.
  • lulaskylulasky Posts: 8
    Hi there, just killing time...

I just wanted you to know I bought a hatch back in May 04 and it is fully loade. I got it from our local dealer for 12,500 all inclusive. It is an awsome little car for a 50 year old. I just wanted something to play in. I had dark tint placeed on the windows and every officer believes they are gonna see a young black kid...I am a plain old white guy...but an old hippie. I have tried many smaller cars and this little thing is very tight and solid. The only problem I would raise is the gas mileage. Town only...about 16-18 mpg. I expected more. highway is great. I have automatic but it has this cool button that locks it into any gear you have shifted to...I like it. The sound system is very good for a small seemingly cheepo car. Everything is well engineered. Mine is red. I just love that thing and I really don't have any other problems. I really like the rear view exterior mirrors heating up. It gets you rolling faster in the mornings!

Best wishes, Randy Carver Shelby, NC
  • lulaskylulasky Posts: 8
    Hey!

I'm not sure but I think you're talking about the button that holds the Aveo in the chosen gear until it is shifted. Pretty cool... You can drive it like a manual trans with the beauty of becoming automatic by pushing a button...I love my 04 Hatch...Red with dark tint windows. Cool little car. mine is loaded and I got it tax, tag, etc for a little over 12
  • parky129parky129 Posts: 50
    Apparently the low around town mileage is because of the use of the automatic as a standard shift, (Hold feature used). If you used it as an automatic allowing it to shift as needed your mileage would be around 26-28 in town and 32-35 on highway. But it is your car , use it as you wish. And Good Luck. The hold feature is made to allow the holding of the transmission in a higher gear when starting up on slippery surfaces such as snow. Doing this will allow the engine to apply power to the wheels at a slower rate than if the first gear is used, sort of like slipping the clutch to allow gradual power to be applied.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    They should rename that hold feature and call it the Winter Driving feature. Good idea.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,810
    A reporter with a national magazine is hoping to talk with a consumer who took advantage of a 24-hour test drive or other extended vehicle test opportunity (including a car rental) and subsequently bought a car similar to the one s/he tested. If you have a story to share, please submit it to jfallon@edmunds.com along with your daytime contact info no later than Wednesday, March 9, 2005.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• camper1camper1 Posts: 6
    This question is for those who have other cars (and therefore can compare the aveo): is the vibration at the steering wheel normal for this type of vehicle? Mine is a 2004 with 12,000 miles, other than that, I am happy.

Camper
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    Vibration when? Sitting at idle cold? Idle warm? Has the vehicle had its first tune up yet (has 12,000 miles, is close)? While driving? Have the wheels been properly balanced and rotated yet? Has the four wheel alignment been checked/performed yet (has 12,000 miles)? etc....
    At normal highway speeds (50-55mph). I has been in the shop where they have checked everything they normally troubleshoot...still it has the shaking at the wheel. It has gradually gotten worse (to the point where you can visually see the wheel shaking) but the mechanics are unable to find anything wrong with it. Anybody else out there with this problem?
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    What shop has checked it? Vibration at highway speed is 90% of time is due to the tires or wheels. You need to get the car into a place that has a road force variance tester (much more than just a wheel balancer) to properly check the tires and wheels. Occasionally poor front end alignment will also cause vibration at highway speeds.
  • i_l_aveoi_l_aveo Posts: 15
    I have less than 3k miles, I do feel some vibration on acceleration pedal at 65 mph but the car itself is not shaking at all.
    You have a good point about the tires. I took the vehicle to two different chevrolet dealers for repair. One said they check everything, tires, rims, balancing but nothing. The other replaced a tire rod (which I think was not the problem) but it still does it.

I agree with you and think this is had to definitely be related to tires or rims. I have actually jacked the car in the front and visually inspected the tires but can't detect it that way.

As for the "road force variance tester," I don't know if the chevrolet dealer has this type of equipment, I will ask them. If they don't have it, I may have to pay for this service myself to get to the bottom of this.

I love this car and want to keep it, so I need to find a solution.
  • shorti81shorti81 Posts: 6
    Well, my car is acting up again, i posted about this in nov (pg 11 i believe) and it started acting up again last nite. funny how it does this right around the time im due for an oil change! i called the dealership and made an appointment for 7 this morning (thank god i did cuz now the check engine light came on and it kept stalling on me, which is pretty scary when you're trying to turn left!). Has anyone else had this problem? Car hesitates when accellerating, kinda "kicks" just before you come to a full stop, sometimes stalls with no warning.
    Just wondering if this is a problem with just my car or if its happening with others.

Thanks
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    "I don't know if the chevrolet dealer..."

There was a lot of comment about wheel vibration on the Elantra threads about 4 years ago when I bought mine. Mine vibrated and I bought the standard $7 per tire Wal-Mart lifetime balancing and rotation. They fixed it the first time. Most people who went back to the dealer never got theirs fixed. Truth is that the typical tire dealer (even WallyWorld) sees about ten times as much of this problem as any car dealer.