Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• Actually, the story about the salesperson who didn't go out of his way to help an Aveo buyer is not relegated to Chevrolets. I went into the local Honda dealer recently to ask about a Pilot.(The one my wife wants for real estate work is the $32,750 EX-L with the DVD player) The conversations went like this:
    Me - I'd like a Pilot brochure.
    Salesperson - Let me look - Gee we are out of them.
    Me - When will you get one in?
    SP- Gee, I don't know. I guess you could try the Internet.
    Me - Do you have any Pilots in stock
    SP - Oh no, every one that comes in is sold immediately -nothing in stock at all.
    Me - Do you expect any in the near future so I could drive one?
    SP - All that come in here are ordered and delivered immediately. We don't have demos.
    Me - If I ordered one how long would it take to get one?
    SP - Oh gee, I guess three months or so. I really don't know.

I went to Albuquerque to Garcia Honda. They keep one of every model as a demo, plenty of brochures, took a test ride, met a very accomodating salesperson, got a 4- 6 week time schedule for an order - "less if you really need it immediately and we can find one within 500 miles or so", etc. Guess where I'll buy one when I get around to it? We are in the real estate business. Realtors who treat buyers of inexpensive houses with disdain are big losers. The parents or relatives often purchase 300k houses from salespeople who treated their childen right on their 75k house purchase. Same with a salesperson who treats Aveo buyers with disdain. Wish I owned the dealership when this happened. The guy would be looking for another job immediately.
  • I had very bad experience with sales people. A few years back when internet was booming I was hoping that, one day we don't have to deal with dealers anymore and buying cars will be similar to buying grocery. Unfortunately that day never came. Today, there's a dealer behind every internet auto site.

I also agree that GM cars are over-priced. All their cars are priced (MSRP) with incentive built-in. After incentive and about $2,200 GM card rebate, I paid a couple hundred over $10,000 out-the-door for my Aveo. If it's not for the rebate I would go for other brand with better warranty.

The overall atmosphere in the dealer is all about SUV. SUVs are big moneymakers for GM, either new or used. There are those who like to trade in their 3-year-old SUV for a new model. They are sales peopel's favorite customers.
  • Great hatchback and if any of you owned a Daewoo Lanos you will recognize the engine and it comes from GM of Austrailia.
  • jlgoldenjlgolden Posts: 32
    All new cars are overpriced, and American brand cars have not earned the respect to sell near sticker price. So, they are artificilly priced high and then sold with large rebates, which puts the price somwhere close to where it deserves to be. The Aveo too, is overpriced, and already has a $1000 rebate. Anyone who bought an Aveo before the rebate came along was screwed.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Aveo got a review in April Car and Driver. The reviewer is biased against Korean cars. That was obvious. Four pages long and chock full of info. Here is "The Verdict" from said article:

Highs: Decent fit and finish for the price. Roomy interior, not a penalty box. Charming "chirp" when you lock it.

Lows: A couple thousand more gets you into a nicer used car or a new Ford Focus. Not developed at the Nurburgring. Embarrasing "chirp" when you lock it.

The Verdict: Its a better transportation pod than the Kia Rio.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    I thought that overall the review was pretty positive. The Verdict doesn't do the article justice.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    jlgolden-

"All new cars are overpriced...."

Isn't that true of most everything? Don't know if you have any "Target-like" stores in Texas called KOHL'S or BON-TON, but every other day there is an ad in the paper or something in the mail or an insert in the newspaper- 20-40% off. Sometimes more. Use their charge card and get another 10% off. Come on the right day and you get a senior citizen discount. Some days they'll make an announcement on the store PA about additional discounts for that day! By the time they get through, you get clothes for almost nothing- BRAND name/designer label clothes too! It's not just cars! Look at the mark-up on jewelry! Is that any different?

fastdriver

PS Just happened to see this in my Yahoo news right after posting this-

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040305/55481_1.html
  • I find it strange that GM would launch this car and aim it at competitors such as Hyundai, Kia, and Suzuki when based on the numbers it fails in almost every way. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the hatchback model (I wish this was a more popular body style here in the US!), but for a student on a limited budget there are much better offerings out there for the money. First, even though the Aveo engine warranty was just bumped up, it doesn't match Hyundai/Kia nor Suzuki. Next, why would I pay 13.5 for an Aveo LS when for 12.9 I could get a Suzuki Forenza S with power everything, heated mirrors, substantially more power, and an 8 speaker cd... not to mention that the Forenza doesn't look like a tin can on wheels. No, I don't work for Suzuki... I've just done a lot of shopping around and can't justify paying that kind of money for a car that only has one power mirror and rear speakers that sound as if they belong in a clock radio. Moving up from the "special value" model to the "base" model only gets you air conditioning, and that's about a $1200 jump. $1200 just for air! Rap your knuckles on the Aveo's door panels and you'll hear everything that's missing in this car. All I see is another Geo Metro.
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Posts: 247
    Robert, I just drove an Aveo and was impressed. I have driven a Rio, my sons Metro,, a Golf, a Vibe and my wife has a Suzuki Aerio SX and I have a Sidekick. The Aveo may have thin doors but it drives solid, rides better than most small cars and is fairly quiet and is zippy and comfortable. I prefer the hatchbacl to the sedan but want to wait to see the Kia Cerato 4 door hatchback in June and the Suzuki Reno hatchback version of the Forenza in August as the Forenza sedan sits too low for my taste but it is a nice car. The Aveo is far superior to any small car GM has ever made before and I think Daewoo got a bum rap in some ways. Go and drive them all before you criticize them. Im not sure GM is aiming this car at anyone in particular but the truth is they have to sell so many economy cars to offset the gas hog trucks and SUVs under the CAFE standards. They are aimed at commuters and young people but several old fixed income people are buying them too. Dont just pay attention to price. Drive various cars and then decide. Too each his own.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    in this class of cars (subcompact). I love the look of the hatchback and the concept but GM is doing it again. Pricing themselves out of the market. There are too many other choices in the 12K to 14K range. The last great buy from GM was my 1987 Chevy Sprint Turbo. $8000 with no AC. I had aftermarket AC installed for $700. Great car.
    GM has been over-stickering things for a while, and offering huge rebates. The loaded Aveo LS goes for $8999 just about everywhere in Los Angeles.

Of course, prices are different in each city, but don't compare cars based on MSRP, especially GM cars.

What's wrong with the Geo Metro? Unbelievable gas mileage, simple, reliable transportation. Bad reputation just because it's so small, but as soon as I can find a stripped 3-cylinder for the right price, I'm going to buy it.
  • mht_in_lamht_in_la Posts: 23
    << The loaded Aveo LS goes for $8999 just about everywhere in Los Angeles >>

I find that hard to believe. Don't believe the special deals offered in the newspaper. Read the fine print.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    Metro was a great car for small town shopping trips or commuting on traffic clogged streets but was a death trap on an Interstate. I made the mistake of renting one once (I used to request an economy car and then take the cheap upgrade - once they didn't have an upgrade without waiting so I got a Metro). I pulled out on the San Diego Freeway and pushed it to the floor. The pedal stopped about an inch down and nothing much happened. I ended up riding on the shoulder for a half mile or so until I could get it up to 60, got off at the first exit and took it back immediately -scared as hell. I got a Corolla which was fine. I assume that the Aveo is a bit better than the Metro!
    My sons 97 Metro, 3 cylinder, 5 speed now has 120,000 almost trouble free miles until just recently and now has an electrical mystery problem. He operates it at high altitude in Colorado and often goes to the mountains in wintertime. It will cruise at 70 to 75 but you have to downshift if there is a head wind or steep hills. A K&N air filter and special spark plugs made a big difference. However I have driven an Aveo and they are much more car and similar to driving a Sentra, Rio or Corolla. The Metro was a bare bones car but good on gas, fairly trouble free but many cheap plastic parts and knobs would break off.. Much of the world goes for basic bare bones transportation. The Aveo is a big step up.
    I would love to buy the Metro to drive around town. I get about 27mpg in my current car, so I might save like $30 per 1000 miles driven in a Metro. It would take a while to make the money back, and repairs, insurance, etc. But I might get one anyway, just because it would be cool.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    Don't get me wrong. I live in a small city and a Metro would be fine but there is no "universal" car. Some, like my Cadillac, get great mileage on the road and horrible mileage around town. Metros are not for interstate drivers. I guess my Malibu is a good all around car. You can pass somebody with it, it gets good gas mileage, and is relatively comfortable. The Aveo costs less and may do about as well - I haven't driven one. Actually I'd really like to get a Fiat 600 like I had in California in the '60's complete with my wife's vinyl flower on the side. Top rolled down and if you needed to rebuild the motor you could carry it over to a workbench and rebuild it. It would run forever on a couple of bucks worth of gas.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    I drive my Metro every week on the interstate, because I have a 125 mi round trip and it gets 45-50 mpg. It has 120 thousand mi (and a 5 speed stick, so I have never had difficulty getting it up to speed on ramps). The 3 cylinder automatic is only good for around town. Good as it's been, it ain't gonna last forever, and so I have been thinking of the Aveo hatch. But I'd be giving up over 10 mpg. Used to be several choices in cars with over 40 mpg. None anymore, except for diesels and hybrids. Guess gas has to get way more expensive before a significant number of people will buy or drive a gas saver.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    44 mpg highway and 36 mpg city Honda Civic HX Coupe. More mpg city than the Aveo will get highway. Aveo is less cost short term due to lower initial purchase price.
    The diesels are higher mpg, though they are costly as only VW, Mercedes and London Taxi are selling diesel cars in North America.
    Perhaps Aveo will have diesel someday.
    quote-GM Daewoo will invest 1.74 trillion won (around $1.5 billion) in the expansion and restructuring of its production facilities, new models and diesel engine development, the company's president said on Thursday. -end quote
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    Americans have this bigger is better mentality. The Metro was a good car. The one I drove was peppy. I have already heard the SUV set making jokes about the Aveo. Funny because I think their huge boats are stupid looking. Anyway, On the price. "8999" sounds about top dollar I would pay considering I know you can buy a Kia Rio fully loaded for under that price. $81xx plus tax and license to be exact. My sister bought one last fall. As for the small print. Bull hockey. If the dealer wants to move the car he will. My sister was dealing with a huge dealer with hundreds of cars on their lot. I think there were about ten Rio sedans to pick from. She didn't have a trade in or any money down. The dealer knocked the price down from over $12000 to 9600 and then there was a 1500 buck rebate from kia. Don't be fooled when they say "we aren't making a profit because it is a small car". If you pay sticker they are making a huge profit. The Kia dealer my sister bought from was top notch. They will have a return customer in my sister.
    It has puzzled me why Daewoo's get lower then expected mpg. GM supplies the engines and if they can make a boat of a buick get close to 30 mpg why can't they make the little 1.6 in the aveo get close to 50. Someone pointed out on another board that koren cars seem to always get lower mpg. With Gas prices shooting over $2.00 in my area 50 mpg would be nice.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,717
    No new cars available in the U.S. today can get 50 mpg in normal use except the VW diesels and the hybrids, and even for them 50 is pushing it. Even the 1.5L engine in the ECHO doesn't get 50 mpg. There are very few cars that top comparable Korean cars for mpg. The Elantra is within a few mpg of the Civic and Corolla, and it has a larger engine with more power than either of those. The main problem with the Aveo, Accent, Rio, and Forenza is that they don't have the latest engine technology, e.g. VVT, that Japanese competitors like ECHO and Civic do. That's one of the reasons the Koreans cost less than the Japanese cars. But the Koreans are catching up. Hyundai and Kia have VVT engines in some of their small cars now, and eventually Daewoo will too.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,699
    Tiburon now has Continuously Variable Intake-Valve Timing.

An interesting note, though, about the Korean engines. Chevy calls the Aveo's 1.6L DOHC 16-valve cast-iron four banger with an aluminum head, 105 hp and 107-lb-ft.of torque motor "peppy". That may not be such a bad description if it's at all like my '99 Kia Sephia motor or my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4's motor. Both of those motors have been "peppy" and I got 25 city/32 hiway in the Sephia and I'm consistently getting 20 city and 25 hiway in the Sportsman. I don't consider that bad. My point is: drive your Aveo right and maintain it properly and you may get better mpg than you think or what's been stated heretofore. Not only that, you may find that the Korean Daewoo motor propels you along in a rather "peppy" manner, in an enjoyable kind of a way. Truly cool to have Aveo on the current automotive scene, huh?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

The Aveo has comparable power and weight to its competitors. Its gas mileage might not be quite as good, but it should be just as 'peppy'.
    I read somewhere that Daewoo's engines were sourced from GM's Holden division in Australia. If so one would think it would not be to large a task to update to a more modern engine from another division such as Opel or even Suzuki which has a great 2.3 with 155 hp. There was also some discussion about the reliability of Holden 4 cylinders in regard to timing belts and head strength. Have any of the people on this site owned Daewoo's before? If so what types of problems are repeatedly common with these cars
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    Yes I have 2 Daewoos, the Leganza and the Nubira. Both with Holden engines. The engine with the most timing belt issues is the 2.0L found in the Nubira and now in the Suzuki Forenza and Chevy Optra. The problem is really with the tensioner that seems to get loose at about 55K miles. You just have to do a timing belt service around the 50K mile mark to be on the safe side. Daewoo has covered this service under warranty here in Canada.
    my 99 Leganza though with the 2.2L Ecotec has not required servicing yet. I had the timing belt system inspected recently and the mechanic said, it was like almost new. No damage or wear whatsoever. However they told me to come back before my 5 year warranty expires, and they will do the job under warranty anyways since Daewoo warranty is covering repairs without fuss. They said they can blame it on a water pump seal leaking.
    With the Lanos 1.6L DOHC which a couple of my friends have, the common problems are misfires due to fuel injectors getting clogged, need fuel injection cleaning service around 40K mile mark, and the thermostat housing is plastic, and when the thermostat fails usually around 60K miles, the housing disintegrates and you lose all the coolant. Ironically GM is still using this plastic thermostat housing in the AVEO.
    Other than that, these engines are quite reliable, and have not caused me any grief so far. My Leganza is now 5 year old with ZERO trouble. I challenge anybody to claim better reliability.
    Sales here in the St louis area seem to be strong for the hatch... The dealer just around the corner from my home has sold every one they get in. They had about ten and all are gone in about a month. Although I still have some quality questions I think over all the Hatch was a good Idea for Chevy. It has drawn people into the dealerships that would have never set foot onto chevy lots. Also it gives diehard chevy fans a great city car to use in metro areas. Just shop around. Some dealers are still trying to sell them for 14K...while others are selling them for 8900.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    chrisducati-

Isn't it something how different areas of the country have different concerns/interests.You would think that with the price of gas that these cars would be good sellers. I still have NOT seen one sedan or hatchback here in So. CT except for the ones that are still sitting on the local dealer's lot.

Mine just came in- LS Sedan fully loaded. It took 4 months! Picking it up on Saturday. Can't wait to see what it's like.

fastdriver
    We saw an Aveo LS hatchback in white with alloy wheels, spoiler and dark limo tint while in Phoenix over the weekend. That is a popular combo here in Arizona because of the intense sun and it looked much sharper than we anticipated and it seemed to look larger that way. (not a good combination for snowbelt states)
    I have yet to see one in white. So far black is my favorite color. It seems red, silver and the two different shades of blue are the most popular here.
  • 2004aveo2004aveo Posts: 1
    The last big rig I owned was a 1994 Chevy one ton crew cab 4x4 (silverado). Cost 42,000 US new. Hated it right off but bought into the big rig myth. At 10k it dumped me at the Flying J truck stop in Winnemuca NV. Sold it and never looked back.
    Now about the Aveo. I own the LS with all the goodies. Love the car. I research now. First it is 5 star crash tested....better than Toyota's Echo. Second it has a 60k warranty. Third it's auto transaxle has a "hold" feature to let you shift like a manual trans. Forth, I don't drive fast so it gives me the stated milage plus two or three more per gallon. Fifth, this car was never made to be a race car. It was made to be a "all-around" entry level vehicle.....it does that well. Most dealers offer free oil changes so you shouldn't have to do a thing until 60k.....then comes the timing belt and the once over....cost should be around 200 US for this service. As to the engine, expect it to run well but noisier then a Honda. As to the price of a Civic with same options....expect to pay 16,000 US. I payed 13,000 US and mine has it all.....love the sunroof and the hatchback. One thing I don't get.....this car has no cruise control? And no way to get one as it never came with one. The wing is for looks only. The alloy wheels are small but nice....I asked the dealer and he says that 15" wheels are not impossible for this car....I'll stay factory anyway. At anyrate though...remember this car is entry level....don't expect it to be a BMW and it won't disappoint. And just a side note about my Chevy Tracker....It's still running strong at 100k miles and still tows a thousand pound loads on it's matching trailer....I love that rig. No leaks, no major breaks, great gas milage....and hey, it has factory cruise! What a great little two door. As to the 4x4....with the "rock-crawler" kit in the transfer case and a little jacking.....it beats my buddy's 2003 chev big boy.....and I can get around better off-road in between the trees! Big rigs really are a waste in every direction but two they are faster and they de-value in total dollars faster than a small rigs! I know...My Chevy one ton mentioned above.....it sold consignment for 28,000 after one year and 10k miles.....that loss would have paid for my Tracker!!!! Never again! And gas milage on the 94'.....would you believe 10mpg in town. Compair this to almost 30mpg with the Tracker. And the new one's aren't any better...I know I looked. For the same rig today it only gets 2mpg better! Sorry for the long post.....see ya, but if your driving a big rig, I wouldn't want to be ya!