Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I saw one of these at my local dealer. An interesting color for sure. Very 50s, as is the pastel blue. However, up close, the color has a dull metallic finish to it, making it seem it wouldn't hold its shine too well in the long run.
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    I saw a sedan at the dealer in that color and it looks very cool. I think it would hold up very well.
  • ceestandceestand Posts: 6
    Well, let no one say I won't admit when I'm wrong.

After visiting several sites, including the NHTSA as well as the SAE (who won't tell you the color of the sky without charging you), I've found that the pressure rating inside the door is the one to use.

In fact, the NHTSA has a fun little Flash presentation about tire pressure. They also say that the tire pressures listed are cold ratings and that driving as little as one mile can change the temp in the tire. Kind of makes the air pumps at gas stations worthless huh?
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    The air pumps at the gas station are to get you by if you have a tire way low on pressure and to top of the tires after you already know how much to add.

You measure the air pressure early in the morning on your Aveo and notice that all four are exactly 4 psi, say 26psi, low from door rating. You drive to the gas station and remeasure the tires and now measure 31psi. How much air are you going to put in the tires? Should be 4psi which will give you a hot measure of 35psi. Even though the air you are putting in is a different temperature and the temperature of the air in the tires will change as soon as you put it in, it will come out very close the next morning to the correct value.

Like I said before, it is better to be slightly, ever so slightly, over inflated up to a few percentage with no ill effects rather than under inflated.
  • noblejrnoblejr Posts: 1
    I am considering the 2005 Aveo LT Hatchback, and I would just like to know if anyone knows how large of rims it can have? I know that the site says that it comes with 14's, but it also mentioned the fact that the car might be better suited with larger tires/rims... let me know if anyone has customized there's and has this info....
  • cswain20cswain20 Posts: 1
    Have you heard how the Rostra cruise control works? Please let me know!
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    In Europe the some Chevy Kalos, which is the same car as the Aveo , come with 15" alloys and a lower ride height. They also get a two door model. Check out Suzuki Canada Swift + site. They have a lot of items for the Swift+/Aveo/Kalos. Look up the Kalos Blue for some Ideas on custom looks... also the Kalos Dream ,which was the show car that the Aveo was based on :shades:
  • parky129parky129 Posts: 50
    I have had a Rostra cruise control since last year, November to be exact. Over 8000miles and no problems. Easy install, two different units one for automatic and one for standard transmission. I have the automatic, get between 30-42mpg depending whether in town or on a trip. It takes about 1 1/2 hour to install since I am a senior and not too limber anymore. Love the cruise, would be lost without it.
  • rsmith1rsmith1 Posts: 9
    afgan, Take your car back to Chevrolet. My Dealer agnowledge that there is a problem with them and they are replacing them as needed. They will only replace the clock only if you complain.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I have been speaking with the GM help line, and they say there are no records of Aveo clock problems. Of course, we owners know differently...

Your dealer seems to have additional info. Would it be possible to get the name and city where your dealer is located? I just don't want to replace 1 bad clock with another bad clock.
    I am having it installed on Monday. They had to order the kit, and it took a little over a week to get it. I'll let you know how it works, but I expect no problems, as Rostra makes many OEM cruise control units for several manufacturers...

I'll get back with the results after a few days of testing the unit...
    The official GM response is that there are no known problems with the Aveo clock.

However, as more Aveo's are sold, I expect that response to change. What I have learned from this, though, is that speaking with or emailing the Customer Support and Service Center about a problem is a complete and utter waste of time. Not that I expected anything much different.

And GM wonders why it continues to lose market share.

As for me, I will just wait a while before having my clock replaced...The car is such a pleasant experience that I would have bought it even if it didn't have a clock...after all, who buys a car to get a clock???
    I agree although my clock is working fine, I purchased car in November 04 and have 8300miles on it. There has been no problems with my Aveo since purchase, unlike several new cars in the past that were full of defects. I notice that there are a few radio stations that give incorrect time signals and later come on with the correct time (usually PBS stations). If I had found a car previously that was as troublefree as this one is I wouldn't have hesitated to purchase a new car.Last new vehicle was a 1996 Astro Van.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    really Chevrolet's, they're Daewoo's rebadged as Chevrolet's. I say this because people tend to give Daewoo a bad name (that is if they've even heard of them before!!) as far as automaking goes. It's not true, though. Daewoo was doing a good job of producing cars but their South Korean leader turned out to be corrupt. That and several other factors, at least one of them being the South Korean economy, combined to doom Daewoo in the car business. I have a sneaking suspicion that us car nuts never even heard all of the story "behind the scenes" that helped lead Daewoo into oblivion. They were some $17B in arrears when they were "rescued" by GM. I will congratulate GM on acquiring Daewoo. That was a very smart thing for them to do. Very smart.

Enjoy your Woo's...I...I mean your Chevrolet's.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Daewoo has been supplying cars to Suzuki as well and was at one-time considered the best of the Korean cars.

I used to own a Pontiac Lemans (1988) that was a Daewoo in disguise. It was a descent car, but I usually had starting problems when ever it rained.

From what I have seen and heard, this car is far supperior to any past model.

There are quite a few rebadged cars on the market from different automakers, as well as motorcycle makers sharing models like Suzuki and Kawasaki. This is a smart business decision that fills a void in their product line, and saves a consideral amount of money.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I drove an Aveo last year at the GM autoshowinmotion.com test drive last year and was very impressed, but I continually hear people saying it is this or that.

I sat in a 5-door model yesterday and was as impressed as I was last year. The interior plastics are as good or better than any other economy car. In my opinion plastics are plastics, big deal, poor excuse. The manual transmission didn't feel any different from the many others I have driven. It didn't feel like it was going to fall-over or fail as some have mentioned, it felt like any other manual transmission. The clutch pedal feel seemed a little light in what I am used to, but I am sure that is fine.
    The Aveo is a good quality car......a lot of people don't know much about cars so they just parrot what they have heard....it has a different feel than my last car but different still than the previous....

The interior is very good and the paint quality is also. I think you will like the car.
    On several other Aveo websites that I monitor and belong to, there are people who treat their car as if it is a big toy. They modify it, race it and treat it as if it is a throwaway object. They aren't having too many problems with the car , except for problems they are creating. They have bragged about reving engine up till rev limiter kicks in then popping clutch, reving to limit and popping clutch with rear brake engaged to spin wheels. The only problems were breaking transission strut braces. They are also modifying suspension components and complaining about cheap original equipment quality, but until thy abused the car the so called cheap components held up fine. I have had my Aveo since November 2004 and have had NO problems with the car at all, I have had many new cars in my 50 years of driving experience and this is the first New car with a defect yet to show up! I drive the car as if it is mine, rather than as if it is rented. I use the cruise control most of the time and get between 30mpg and 42mpg, depending on where I drive. I have automatic transmission base model 5 door and love it. :)
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Low end cars are often abused, that's the real thing that lowers their value...
    yes I have noticed over the years people that buy low end cars usually dont take care of them or dont know how. Otherwise the cars are really good overall.