Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I know a lot of people (including me) who take very good care of their low-end cars (and they take care of me). I see a lot of abused non-low-end vehicles. This behavior is not limited to one class of car, and it's not true across the class.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    You mean not true across the class of car, not the class of people.

Certain classes of people manage money and assets very poorly, they get into binds and can barely afford to make car payments and insurance, let alone any maintenance. They do buy many different brands and models, but a preponderance of the $250/month car customer will buy a new Kia or Hyundai, even though they really should only be in a $165/month car.

You know that commercial on tv with the guy mowing his lawn, talking about his nice house, car, etc and payments up to his eyeballs.

Forgot to mention, add the fact that many of the lower end cars are much less tolerant of neglect than cars that were designed a little better, and you have disaster on the way.
    I meant class of car. I really think any discussion about "class of people" is of no relevance to this forum.

I really don't know what you mean by "less tolerant of neglect". If you fail to maintain any car, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Try not keeping the fluid levels up on a Lexus, for example, and see what happens. Its "better engineering" will not help you when the transmission fails, the engine seizes, or the A/C stops cooling.
    I think you missed the point or I was not clear enough. More likely the latter, my explanation.

When refering to the class of people, not meaning any socio-economic or other class, I mean people who do not manage assets or money well. i.e Most people who cannot manage money well do not maintain assests well, i.e. car.

Having been in engineering, a car or other electronic or mechanical system that was engineered to sustain a higher level of operation beyond normal will take a greater level of neglect and abuse before failing. In addition with different engineering specifications, they (the manufactures) pretty much know given a certain design criteria and manufacturing tolerance what the mean of failure due to normal use will be for a given component. It is a critical balance between cost and reliability.

Take the Geo Metro 1.3L engine, well designed, used very little oil, as a result was more tolerant of oil neglect, sludge damage would occur after 10s of thousands of miles of neglect. Take the 2.0L Chrysler engine (or the early Saturn engines), known to use oil, if neglected very long oil level would get too low and engine would seize up well before 10K miles.

The Daewoo Lanos 1.6L/Aveo 1.6L is generally a good engine, but does require some 'normal' attention as all cars should have. Timing belt replacement due to the interference engine design comes to mind as a biggie. Seen lots of Lanos on ebay with broken timing belts at 65K-70K, past the recommended 60K.

Back when I was 20, I fell into the 'class' of people that was not very smart about managing money or credit. I wised up pretty quick and it took years to get things right. Some people on the other hand simply do not take care of money or assests well at all. Like the old auto mechanics saying, you can pay me a little now for maintenance and preventative repairs, or pay me a lot later.

Hope this is a 'better' explanation and with the examples more explanatory.
    When it comes time to retire my current ride, a 96 Metro Sedan Automatic, 138K. I am leaning very heavily towards a slightly used Aveo Hatchback. I kind of like the fact so far that they do not command really high resale values used. Pretty decent initial reliability from a powertrain and major systems standpoint. Plus the local Chevy dealer has the best service department of any dealer around, probably the biggest factor.

For a small car the ride is well controlled, relatively quiet (luxury compared to my 96 Metro), nice interior, good feature content. $8,000 gets a fully loaded certified 2004 hatchback with less than 20K on it.
    I don't think I missed your point. You were insinuating that a certain class of people buy low-end cars. Stereotyping is stereotyping, and it's a dangerous practice however you define the class of people. Let's talk about cars, not the classes of people who drive them.
  • oyveyooyveyo Posts: 12
    The point is valid. People who can't manage money rarely can manage routine maintenance schedules. It's not a socio-economic thing at all. Inexpensive vehicles often are bought by owners who don't see the big picture and fail to plan for the long term (oil changes, proper break-in, etc.). Sure, many a Lexus gets beat up but it's more out of, "Hey, I can buy a new one tomorrow" . It ain't irresponsible if you can pay for it...just a pity.
    What is the typical payment on a 60 month loan on a $12,000 Aveo, 7% interest, sales tax down? ~$237. In order to get a 60 month loan at reasonable interest rates the car must be only one or two years old and relatively low miles. The extra $13/mo to bring it to $250 will put the extended warranty out to 100K.

What new cars does the Aveo compete against for the $250 a month buyer?
    Hyundai Accent or Elantra
    Toyota Echo, maybe a stripped Corolla.
    Maybe a stripped Honda Civic.
    Dodge Neon, with big rebates.
    Ford Focus base with rebates.
    The Suzuki low end lineup, Aerio, Reno, Forenza.

Given the current Hyundai/Kia warranty, more people who are first time car buyers, or are only approved for a $250 month payment are chosing those cars. Given the recent improvements in quality, it makes sense.

I think GM did the right thing in bringing the Aveo to the line-up. If they would only look at the warranty and include 'free maintenance' or a maintenance package with the sale of the car, it would go a long way.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    ...ok, before we get too far off-track, let's get back to discussing the Aveo. Tons of people love this car for a variety of reasons. Let's stick to the car please.
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    I know this is off subject, but has anyone modified the grill on their car? I mean got rid of the bar and bowtie.
  • lemon2lemon2 Posts: 3
    The clock on the Aveo is a joke. The dealer has replaced 3 clocks in 19,000 miles of driving. The dealer also told us that GM has a real problem here and they say it is electrical. Even the new vehicles setting on the lot for sale have problems. GM never admits to any problems but if you pin them down they will tell you we know about it, we just can't get the clocks from the supplier.Thank you GM maybe I'll call you every time I need to know what time it is. (lemon2)
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I also have the clock issue...what is your current stance on this? Continue to swap out clocks, live with what you have, wait for a fix, or what?

I also spoke with the GM "representative" about this...they are like the secretary in the old Mission Impossible TV show/movies, as they have no "knowledge" of any problems...
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    It is ironic now that GM is 300 Billion dollars in debt! I wonder who is going to rescue them. Daewoo was worth rescuing because they had a good product. Is GM worth rescuing?
    BTW, the Daewoo Kalos AKA Chevrolet Aveo is now sold in Canada in more disguises. The Suzuki Swift, the Chevy Aveo, The Pontiac Wave. All the same car.
    And they are all over the place. A huge success in Canada.
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    What is this clock problem that yall are having. I havent had any problems with my clock.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    It's to bad about the clock issue; hopefully, they will correct this issue, if they already haven't. If it were me, I would tell them that I will wait until they get the correct part. The clock issue is not so terrible.

As for front end grill modifications, I also would like to see some. And im sure there are a lot already out there. I was thinking of that myself, along with the Cobalts; front grill. It looks like it wouldn't be a clean cut with the OEM grill, and the whole grill would have to be replaced.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    The clock problem that I have experienced consists of 2 issues.

1- It loses time, but in my case, it appears to be related to running the car. If you leave the ignition off for several days, the time loss doesn't seem to occur. By time loss, I am talking about 1 to 2 minutes a day.

2- Sometimes, the clock simply resets itself to an arbritrary time. This happens to my clock approximately once a week.

I suspect that the resolution to this problem is simply a filter on the power input line to the clock, as I suspect the ignition "spikes" the clock with excess voltage/current each time the car is started.

My plan is to wait until there are enough Aveo's out there with this problem so that there will be enough folks complaining about it for GM to finally issue a fix for it.

Just seems like a sad commentary on GM, having such a nickel and dime problem of this nature, especially since digital clocks have been standard on cars for the last 20 years or so...you would think this would be an area where there would be no mis-understood issues....go figure...
  • igdtnigdtn Posts: 6
    Hi, My clock every once in a while will change time. It usualy happens if I stall tthe car. It annoying since it is usually the day I don't have a watch on. On another note has anyone else got the key lime green besides me yet I am always having people ask what cololor it is called. I still wanted the orange though. I love my Aveo so far. It is almost time for it's first oil change. : :D
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I like the orange the best also, but the green looks interesting.
  • wildstoutwildstout Posts: 1
    Hi all I just bought a new cd player for my Aveo and I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the stock cd player out?
  • oyveyooyveyo Posts: 12
    There are two plastic strips on either side of the stock radio about 3/4" wide. They snap out with a flat blade screwdriver at the bottom (be careful) The rest is easy.