Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• andy_handy_h Posts: 49
    Has anyone tried to fit a bike or two in the back yet? I'd like to know before I give it a shot and mess up the interior or something. Oh, also, I've been getting a lot of people asking how much my car was too.

A member of this board fitted his mountain bike nicely in his Aveo:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mht_in_la/detail?.dir=247c&.dnm=f8fcscd.jpg&.src=p- - h
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I hope that you took down the drivers information after they rear-ended you. There is a good chance that you may have had more damage than you think. Most cars have similar bumpers on their cars designed to absorb the impact rather than deflect it like the metal bumpers in the past. Under bumpers now-a-days are plastic egg crate like absorbing structures that do get damaged, and any impact will weaken them possibly to the point that one day they may loose their absorbing structures and damage and safety could be jeopardised.

If you haven't already, get your car inspected.
    As you know, GM is not doing well. But, the Chevrolet Aveo continues to do very good with sales up 23.5 percent, compared to May 2006.
  • canuck785canuck785 Posts: 160
    good to know!!! :)
    i re-read my post and it did sound kinda mean...sorry i meant it to be kinda funny like "DUH, dude, HELLOOOO!!!???" not sure it came across like this...
    I apologize if some felt offended by it.
  • 1oldguy1oldguy Posts: 3
    Guess that means they sold 2 in June.
  • efrantzefrantz Posts: 7
    Its cool no bad feelings here.
  • Yeah, I'm actually waiting for it to get fixed. I went to the Chevy dealarship to get it worked on because they offered to fix more things instantly. I want the WHOLE bumper replaced, not just some touch up paint. I found out about the egg-crate thing when my camaro z28 was wrecked.

Also, I dodged a bullet on the rental car. They nearly gave me another Dodge Stratus. I HATE DODGE STRATUS'S (strati?) When my camaro was wrecked I was made to drive one for nearly a month and its horrid. I would not recommend that car to anyone as it is very loud on the inside due to road noises, bad response time in acceleration, and not very comfortable especially for 6 foot plus people like me. Luckily I was given a Chevy Cobalt right before I stepped out the door (after waiting 2 hours). The Cobalt is nice, but it's not my new Aveo. I just feel cramped in a car. The Camaro had t-tops so it wasn't too bad, but the Aveo is like a mini-SUV on the inside which makes me happy.

Also, anyone put in a new stereo system in the Aveo? I have the premium speakers but the stereo's sound output and lack of an auxillary are less than desirable.
  • flav2000flav2000 Posts: 8
    My family's got a new 2006 Pontiac Wave in Jan. - which is the same car as the Aveo except for the nicer looking grille and black instead of body color columns near the windows

We love this little car, and it performs well although it's a bit underpowered considering how many big hills we have here in Vancouver.

Anyways, I am just wondering if anyone have problems with any of the door handles, esp. the ones that open the trunk. We have the trunk handle fail twice in 3 months. When it breaks, the handle will give no pressure and would not open up the trunk. As far as I know, there is some kind of a pulley assembly that opens up the trunk lock. According to the rep, it's the "clip" holding these together that messes up.

The 2nd time we brought it into the shop the handle broke again right when we tested it for the 2nd time. :sick: It's good that we were still in the lot. That handle mechanism is now okay for 3 weeks now. I'm crossing my fingers.

Just want to inquire if others encounter this issue before.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    2004 Chevy Aveo w/ auto and a/c that I purchased brand new for $8500 has been wrecked! Nobody hurt, but g/f mangled it - most likely totaled. She's fine, so I'm not going to complain, but it's going to be much more difficult to taunt people with the amazing deal I got with no car...
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    glad to hear no one was hurt. Sorry about the car....
  • wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    Out of curiosity, how did you manage to get such a low price, since it's way below list?

That's exactly what I paid for the identical car with 17K on it. I went that route since the best price for a similar new model was $11,400 -- sticker price was a bit over $13K.
    wave54 - They raised the price of the Aveo for 2005 I think, the sticker for my car was $11635 or something. There was a ~$2100 discount to $9535, and then 2 $500 dealer incentive coupons (why they wasted them on me, I still don't know), and then I had $1000 of GM card money.

Private party value right now is $8250 - if insurance pays that much, I will have pretty much gotten the best resale value for any car ever. 25000+ miles for $250!
  • Just bought a 06 SVM aveo for $8973. G.M. employee price and %0 financing. Right now they took the 0% away and they have $1000 bonus money on them. I work for a chevy dealership and we sell less than 10 of these a year, mine is the only one on the lot now!. I saved a bunch of money buying the S.V.M. since I can install the A/C myself later on for the price of the kit ($925) Everyones calling me crazy but I love this car!
  • geissajgeissaj Posts: 14
    I recently purchased a 2005 aveo that was wrecked (and repaired) I paid 5500 and the car had 13500 miles. The car was completely repaired as it was a front end wreck, fenders, hood and bumper. The car has the same inherent flaw that the daewoo Nubria had that is weak lower control arm bushings ( not part of the wreck). I currently own three Daewoos including the Aveo and do my own repairs so I am somewhat knowledgeable about these cars. I purchase these cars because they are very inexpensive and easy to repair. If you can't fix a Aveo/Daewoo you shouldn't be fixing cars period. However the front end bushing should be repaired or recalled (redesigned) by GM as this is a design flaw and could be very dangerous. This problem causes tourquesteering and wandering in as little as 15,000 miles. GM never recalled the Nubria probably because there were so few of them sold I put two sets of bushings in my Nubria in 55,000 miles the first set at 18,000 miles. If you are experiencing steering problems contact NHTSA and file a complaint. As my car is not under warranty I will simply replace the lower control arms which will cost me $185 for the parts but would cost you much more. I am still way ahead at the price I paid. Other than the bushings the car is excellent gas milage, fit and finish, AC radio MP3, seats car is lik new. Pressure GM for repairs if you have problems.
    a dealer in iowa has aveo sv for 7995$ right now, 2006 brand new. i dont know how he can get such a low price!?
  • Either its a demo or they are going into their holdback money (or its an ad to lure you into the dealership) "sorry we just sold it" Good luck at that price you are buying it below dealer cost!
    chevysalesma2 - We loved our Aveo, 26000 flawless miles.

geissaj - what do you replace the bushings with? rubber or polyurethane? what is the flaw?

canuck785 - SVMs are almost always advertised at 7995 in Los Angeles

peddiss96 - your shin rests against the cup holder? You must be 9 feet tall!
    However the front end bushing should be repaired or recalled (redesigned) by GM as this is a design flaw and could be very dangerous. This problem causes tourquesteering and wandering in as little as 15,000 miles.

Responded to you in the Aveo Modifications board also -- can just the bushings be replaced? I've heard that you can't. Local dealer has already suggested new control arms and that was at 38K miles. I didn't take them up on it since the issue at the time was creaks and crunches (very common on 04 models) -- now it is erratic torque steer and extemely sloppy steering and handling.

I'm well out of warranty and am trying to keep costs down to a minimum, yet something has to be done soon. If it comes to it, will have lower control arms replaced when I bring it in for a timing belt. Seems those wear prematurely as well and I won't try to push the recommended 60K miles interval. First one went before 40K.
  • peddiss96peddiss96 Posts: 3
    No, Just 6 foot 3.
    i exchanged a few emails with the internet sales manager and he said he has like 10 of them, sedan and hatchabck, all 2006, they always get low prices on aveo, according to him and there are no catch...except that you have to buy the one that is on the lot but it would be a 6 hours drive for us so we are looking locally too. someone said in a reply to one of my post to look at the accent and the rio and thank you, i am also considering those cars now!!
  • tcasteeltcasteel Posts: 3
    This is the exact reason we sold our 2005 aveo it cluncked really bad over bumps and it only had 10,000 mi on it, We had it back to the dealer 3 times for it, but every time it was the same old story.. they couldnt find anything wrong. i wasnt going to wait and let it get any worse so i figured our best option was to get rid of it, So we traded it in for a 2006 cobalt LS sedan its alot more powerfull and feels like an all around better built car..
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    According to the official AVEO service manual, both bushings (front and back)are servicable (replaceable).
    According to the official AVEO service manual, both bushings (front and back)are servicable (replaceable).

Thanks, that will be my next move. Had 4 new tires and alignment this morning and they told me the front-end was tight, but if anything, it feels more mushy and disconnected.
    I purchased my 2006 Aveo LT with all the goodies for 14.5K. I am still enjoying every bit of it. I, very much, like the wheels, spoiler, fog lights, cruise control, moonroof, etc.

Try it with the new VW Rabbit, and you will pay about 22K. I am happy with my Aveo.
  • tcasteeltcasteel Posts: 3
    Why would the bushings on a brand new car need serviced
    at 10,000 mi? wouldn't you think the dealer would have known to service them if they needed it .In my opinion the Aveo is a cheaply built car and it's just a plain miantnance nightmare Its like they say, you get what you pay for. I hope you had sence enough to get the extended warranty because you will.. be using it. I liked the car at first too and thought thought it was going to save me money, but the upkeep on it is whats going to get ya. :sick:
    Oh and i lost
    3000 on it in 9 months when trading it in so forget resale value :cry:
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I have a 05 Hatchback (fully loaded with moonroof)with a little over 12K miles. So far, I have had no problems other than the radio (specifically, the CD player, which I replaced with an after-market Sony with an AUX jack for my iPod)...I was simply responding to a question someone had about lower control arm bushing replacement. I do most of the maintenance on my vehicles, and the bushing replacement seems to be relatively easy, according to the Helm/GM maintenance manual. I agree, if these items need replacement at less than 30K miles, there is a design issue at hand. But, at that mileage, and in a 3 year period, it would be warranty covered.

Personally, I like the car. I get 26 mpg in town with the A/C running, and around 35-36 hwy mpg. For my use (primarily an "around-town" ride), it offers everything that I wanted.
    I just ordered a set of control arms I don't think the bushings are available The control arms look realativly easy to put in check out www.gm-car-parts.com for parts the control arms come with both bushings and ball joint. The timing belt is also fairly easy I put two in my Daewoos took two hours and one six pack. GM should cover these Items. These aren't bad cars but some of the problems can be repaired at reasonable cost if you can do the work yourself I wouldn't want to pay for the shop time. GM should be held to repair these problems and include a disclaimer on the timing belt repair or include a free replacement or a fixed cost replacement so your not at the mercy of the repair shop
    I hope you got a good deal on the trade the cobalt is probably a better car I like the seating position in the Aveo like a small van. Every body needs to understand that these cars are not necessarily made cheap but are made light weight to achieve good gas mileage ratings. Light weight cars don't hold up quite as well. They are also more vulnerable to winter weather conditions from salt corrosion. Does anyone remember the Datsun HoneyBee 40 miles to the gallon with a carbueater
    Check out the this site http://www.ratdat.com/brochuregal/honeybee_brgal/images/honeybee2.jpg 1976 HoneyBee 1st Gas crisis it's only going to get worse
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    The Aveo is a descent sub-compact car and maintenance friendly. The Cobalt is a premium compact car in a different price catagory, so comparisons between the two are not very close. For the money you get a pretty good car with the Aveo and it looks to be a better buy for the money than the Yaris, Fit, etc.