Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• from what I read on the GM/Chevy site, it is only for the 2007 models. the question about 2006 models was answered in the FAQ on the site and it was saying that this new warranty was only available for the 2007 models.

http://www.gm.com/warranty/index.jsp?brandid=vs&lang=en&cmp=gm_com

ps: i took the liberty of changing the title of the post since i was the original writer of the " privacy glass" and i think we are done with that topic ;)
  • wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    50-60,000 miles belt change for all of these small cars.

Additionally, if the belt drives the water pump (as it does in the Aveo), replacement of the water pump is recommended with every other timing belt replacement.

Just had both replaced at 93K at a private repair shop and was fairly pleased with the cost -- $385 incl. tax. The dealer wanted $500 for the belt replacement alone. First belt was replaced at 43K under warranty.

A good guide to locate which cars have timing belts or have "interference" engines is located at Gates.com -- download the pdf file for reference.

Timing Belt Replacement Guide
  • i've went to my dealer on 4 seperate occations begging them to do something about the mileage... I've brought receipts and begged and everthing... They kept telling me there were not bullitins or psi so there was nothing they could/wanted to do.
    I called gm customer service, and after that they test drove it 20 miles and claimed they got 40mpg. First of all i dont think its long enough to get an accurate estimate, secondly, there is no way. I drive the care very gently and the most i have ever gotten on a tank was about 27-28mpg, and about 20-24mpg is what i average.
    They told me to bring it back again, so i did. And they did the exact same thing, even though they promised they were going to run it at least 100 miles and hook it up to machines and do tests and what not.
    That time they basically told me i'm a moron that doesnt know how to drive and doesnt know what i'm talking about.
    I don't really want to cause a fuss because i know the owner of the dealership, and he really jumped through hoops to get both me and my dad a car at a great interest rate, but i'm really upset.
    I know the mechanics get paid on commision, and i'm thinking this is the reason they aren't wanting to spend any time on my car. I just want this fixed, and really don't know what to do at this point. I don't have the time (i work and am in nursing school) to drag this thing up there every week to have it just sit in their parking lot while they pretend to do work on it, but i want something done.
    I have copies of my receipts from the times i've filled up, and the amounts i've gotten on those tanks. The people at gm customer service keep trying to buy me off with a free oil change. But i really do feel like i am not getting what i paid for.

What do you guys think i should do.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I think you should try a different dealer and see if they have heard of anything. As mentioned earlier, some model early model Aveo's had to have the computer reprogrammed to correct the mileage problem.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I have an '05 hatchback LT with automatic and consistently get 26 mpg in-town, during the summer with A/C running (I live in upstate South Carolina)...about the same on the highway with the A/C, but without the A/C in winter mileage jumps to the low 30's.

I consider myself an average driver, usually going the speedlimit or whatever the prevailing traffic is running.

Have you tried filling up at a different gas station? Considering the small size of the gas tank, does it look like the amount you are paying for equals the amount of gas you are actually getting?

I ask this because I recently read an article that discussed the method used to determine how gas is dispensed, and it brought up several ways discrepencies can enter into the amount reported.

Just a thought you might wish to consider.
    I drive the care very gently and the most i have ever gotten on a tank was about 27-28mpg, and about 20-24mpg is what i average.

Is this an auto or manual transmission, are you using A/C a lot, and what type of driving conditions?

If your driving is primarily short trips in heavily congested city with A/C running, you may not get any better.

Also, do you calculate your mileage out or estimate from the fuel gauge? I shared a subcompact company car with another driver who SWORE it only got 20 MPG, but the actual calculations of mileage divided by gallons to fill showed 32 MPG.
  • calculate on fill up by miles driven on the tank...

Trips about about 7-10 miles a apeice... sometimes Ac sometimes not. Haven't used it but twice in the last month and mileage is still the same.

And actually I read somewhere that it was best to use the same place everytime to get gas so thats what i do. They say its better for your engine.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    26MPG city AFTER the car has reached full operating temperature and you are mostly driving at 40MPH with few stops. Given that most cars during the first 4 to 5 miles of warm up only get 75% of city fuel economy, 19.5MPG. Averaged out with the 26 MPG after it is warmed up the last 2 miles, 22-23MPG average is about right on the money.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Posts: 161
    Well it still sucks...to be polite. But it is now sticking around 19mpg, with all city driving,A/C on, and driving like a little old lady! Now that summer is finally over. I can actually ride without the A/C on sometimes for up to 5 mins! As soon as we have our 1 month or actual cool air,I can roll down the windows to! The front bumper has to be repainted, under warranty. The bottom 'rung' on the bumper,the air intake,is looking 'mottled',so I took it back to my dealer and the body shop guy saw it and says they will repaint it and I get a loaner for as long as it takes to repaint. Not a good sign that the paint is fading on the most 'protected' part already! The hood is another matter. I have sent the estimates to repair the lines that the hood bra embedded into the clearcoat,and sent the bra back...now I wait to see what the company will do. All 3 estimates were over $500 to repair the hood! Amazing what a $24 vinyl hood bra can do in damage. It's under warranty, the bra warranty, I just hope this comapny sticks to it and they pay for damages that I didnt cause. They better cut a check to pay for it,or its Judge Judy time! I bought a hood bra to protect the paint,only to have it ruin the paint! So I should get the refund on the bra, and the lowest estimate to repair it. I'm sure they will drag their heels. But they have all the things they requested,and now I wait. We shall see what I get. I am going to spend that money on a clear 'bra' to be applied to the hood. It doesn't hurt the paint and it can be peeled off years later and the paint will be the same color as the rest of the hood,and it doesnt flap in the wind as you drive. And you cant even see it. But ti is expensive, but if this comapny pays for the damage it caused, THEY will be paying for it :) . Even light city driving is obviously enough to cause damage with a hood bra! :mad:
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    The body shop should have told you to leave the bra off the freshly painted hood for at least 90-days and no waxing. A factory paint job also takes a couple months to cure properly.

I don't recall your first post about the mileage, but do you do the basic maintenance on it such as the tires, oil, air and oil filters, etc. The tires are the most important to watch especially here in the Midwest were the cool weather causes you to lose more air faster. My tires were off about 5 psi on my Chevy p/u last week. Also in the winter in most parts of the country the gasoline grade is changed with more ethel added to help with cold starting, etc., thus deminishing fuel mpg even more.

I like the idea of the clear sticker protectors for hoods and wheel wells. I haven't seen much advertising for them though.
  • I am having the same problem with my 2005 Aveo hatchback! It only has 15,000 miles on it and I've taken it in to the dealership 2 times for problems starting the engine. They couldn't "recreate" the issue and after looking under the hood said they couldn't find anything wrong with it! I'm totally frustrated with the situation and don't know what to do. Did you ever find out what the problem was with your Aveo not starting? Did it get fixed? Help! :confuse:
  • I have a 2005 Aveo hatchback, 15k miles, still under warranty and have had to take it to the dealership 2 times because the engine has problems turning over sometimes. They couldn't "recreate" my issue and after looking under the hood couldn't find anything wrong! They said the next time I had trouble starting it to have it towed to the dealership. They already checked the battery and ruled it out, I mentioned it could be the fuel pump, hoses, etc. and they said it all looked fine. I think they are either feeding me a line or think I'm crazy because it always starts just fine for them! Has anyone else had this problem? Have they fixed it? Help! :cry:
  • Notice: 2004 Chevy Aveo owners - Some 2004 model year Chevrolet Aveo vehicles may have a condition where the fuel tank gas cap wont tighten properly, or the fuel cap wont come off, or is broken. These conditions may also cause the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). Additionally, please be aware that the fuel cap may not seal adequately to the filler neck if pushed down when being tightened. Do not apply a downward force to the fuel cap when tightening.
    General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank cap. If this condition occurs on your 2004 Chevrolet Aveo within 10 years of the date your vehicle originally placed in service or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.
  • Notice: 2004 Chevy Aveo owners - Some 2004 model year Chevrolet Aveo vehicles may have a condition where the fuel tank gas cap wont tighten properly, or the fuel cap wont come off, or is broken. These conditions may also cause the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). Additionally, please be aware that the fuel cap may not seal adequately to the filler neck if pushed down when being tightened. Do not apply a downward force to the fuel cap when tightening.
    General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank cap. If this condition occurs on your 2004 Chevrolet Aveo within 10 years of the date your vehicle originally placed in service or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.
  • Yeah I got that in the mail today....I am going to stick the letter in my file for all my car stuff. Just incase.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    thanks for the reply but I don't think it pertains to me...my Aveo LS is a 2005...
  • just wanted to update my post and say the problem is fixed! :) I have an aftermarket CD player the previous owner installed that was incorrectly wired and was causing the engine to not turn over at times. I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier or that the dealership didn't catch it either. I had a feeling the two might be connected when every time I turned the engine off none of my radio settings were saved. It all makes sense now and I see more than ever that only a professional or a person with good knowledge of stereo installation should be fiddling around with such things! ;)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,012
    A reporter from a national news magazine is hoping to talk with consumers who have just downsized their vehicle from a SUV (preferably large) to a small, compact car. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, December 4, 2006 with your daytime contact info.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I just recently am running into the same problem. I have a 2006 Aveo and am having problems starting it. But one difference is that mine Stalled while i was driving and then wouldn't turn over. but if i let it sit for a moment it starts right up. The first time it happened was 3 days ago and its happened 3 times now. Everything under the hood looks fine. I've had my aveo for 6 months now and i bought it brand new from the lot. i had the after market cd player installed 4 days after i bought the car stereo at a car audio shop and had them install it. I don't know what to do. the closest dealership is 85 miles away!
  • I bought a brand new 2004 Aveo in 7/2005 off the dealer lot. Several months later i started hearing popping and creaking in the front suspension area, it got worse in the months to come. Finally took it in after a year of driving. Here is what happened
    1)Dealer decided it must be the Bushings and they replaced them, bad move bushings dont wear out in only months, Anyways Fix 1 didnt do very much
    2)Turned it back in and they checked their TSB list that indicated to replace control arms. This was on their work order and receipt they gave me,, For some reason they Instead decided to only torque control arms., bad move .... still didnt fix it. Fix 2 failed
    3)Turned it back in for third attempt, This time I pointed to GM TSB instructions on their own work order and said they might want to try that one.

Ill post here when i get the car back and hopefully i will have positive results otherwise im heading for lemon law activity.

PS Problem is awefule crunching on just the slightest of turns at very low speeds or over bumps. Passengers even notice it and inquire. Other than this the car has been pretty amazing,, wish they could just fix this suspension thing once and for all or put me in a new car!
    PS Problem is awefule crunching on just the slightest of turns at very low speeds or over bumps.

This is a very commonly mentioned issue from '04 owners on different forums and consumer review sites.

Also have a 2004 and have had this issue starting at 18K miles -- dealer tried to fix it but was of little help except to shrug shoulders and replace parts at my expense (had since passed out of warranty).

Now have 104K miles and the suspension only gets worse -- very loose and imprecise handling above 40 mph accompanied by incessant creaking from all four corners at lower speeds.

I'm just running it as is until it's dead. There are no alternative parts available -- just GM replacements and I'm not going to spend $1000-2000 to replace the entire suspension (springs, bushings, control arms, strut mounts, etc.) with the same parts that wore out so quickly.

Engine and transmission are strong, though. Just make sure to replace the timing belt as recommended -- or sooner!

Let us know how you make out with the suspension repairs.
  • sorry to hear of your Aveo's suspension problems.

I was wondering if you knew anything about the new 2007 Chevrolet Aveo 4-door sedan. Is it pretty sound mechanically? Is the jury still out on it because it's so new?

Does this new Aveo also come with built-in suspension problems? The car is not expensive and looks pretty attractive, if you choose the right color and some nice wheels. Do you like the new Aveo sedan?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• Hi everyone

i have an old aging 92 metro ragtop love driving it. its been giving me problems but a fun car 2 drive. when i got it fixed they said it wouldnt be safe for more than a year :sick: at most due to rust from the prior owner leaving it in tall grass for 3 years. the floor boards rusting out. so i just got another job and now am in a hunt for another car. i stumbled on the aveo hatchback and my first thougt on it was very cool looking :shades: . i looked into it further and learned it has roots from the metro. anyone out there can conferm this?it looks like a fun car to drive and if all goes right with the job i will be getting an aveo by the way whats the insurance on these cars average about?
    Does this new Aveo also come with built-in suspension problems?

As far as I know, it's just the early models that have the suspension complaints. Revisions were made in 06 and again for the new 07. Some people have mentioned that the 04s were actually the most reliable in other respects, though.

Do I like the 07 sedan? -- nice interior, uninspired styling, not such a bargain anymore. When the time comes to replace mine, I'll look at everything else first.

The new model hasn't exactly set the automotive world on fire -- people are on waiting lists for the Fit, Yaris and Versa, but Aveos are just sitting on dealer's lots.
    i looked into it further and learned it has roots from the metro.

To my knowledge, no ancestry from the Metro at all. That car was a rebadged Suzuki built in Japan, but the Aveo was designed by Daewoo to be their new Kalos before they went under and GM bought parts of Daewoo's operations in South Korea.

No such thing as an average for insurance -- it'll vary on so many factors. Try comparison shopping online -- I checked when I bought mine through Progressive and it came up with a quote less than 1/3 their own price, which I went with (AIG).
  • new 2007 Chevrolet Aveo sedan. If the color was right and the wheels were right and I know the price is low, there's an outside chance I might take one for a spin and see how I like it.

Not much of a chance but it does exist somewhere. I just would strike it off of my list totally if Chevy hadn't fixed the suspension problems. Nothing like a nagging problem the service department can't seem to replace enough parts to fix fully completely. Not my idea of fun.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• This is the same problem we had with our 05 Aveo the dealership kept telling us it was normal the car was 7 mo old and had 10000 miles on it when we traded it in on a 2006 Cobalt LS before we lost any more money on it.coming up on 1 yr and so far it had been trouble free. The Cobalts are a much better built car and arent much more expensive. :shades:
  • Has anyone seen anything concerning the future addition of stability/traction control on/in the AVEO? GM has said it intends to have ALL of its vehicles available with both stability/traction and OnStar by 2008, I believe. Is it possible, or probable, that these "improvements" will make their way into the AVEO, especially the refreshened AVEO5 which makes its debut sometime early next year (2007)?
    I know this entry level vehicle is just that: "entry level" to some...and not worth the extra expense to those who only want the most inexpensive wheels they can get, but I think there are those who would appreciate and maybe even purchase these "options" if that is what GM has in mind to do with these additions, whether standard or extra cost. The Cobalt is nice, but I'm sure some potential customers will want the AVEO with these improvements. Why? It's smaller, and in NYC smaller IS better, for street parking, errands, etc, IMHO.

Any 4-1-1?

Peace! :shades:
  • I was reading my manual and there is a chapter about starting the car where you need to turn the key to each point before starting the engine. If you don't do this it will flood and you'll have trouble starting it. When you put the key in turn to the first notch (the clock and radio will light up) then the next notch ( the dash settings will adjust, fuel, coolant, etc.) then start the engine, do not give it any gas when doing this either. The engine floods easily. Hope it helps! :)
  • :sick: My son just had the same thing happen to his 2004 Aveo with less than 50,000 miles on it. The shop he had it towed to won't fix it and said he had to take it to the dealership because the valves/pistons might be bent. His gas cap and manual door locks have broken. We consider the car to be a cheap piece of crap.