Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    PS Problem is awefule crunching on just the slightest of turns at very low speeds or over bumps.

This is a very commonly mentioned issue from '04 owners on different forums and consumer review sites.

Also have a 2004 and have had this issue starting at 18K miles -- dealer tried to fix it but was of little help except to shrug shoulders and replace parts at my expense (had since passed out of warranty).

Now have 104K miles and the suspension only gets worse -- very loose and imprecise handling above 40 mph accompanied by incessant creaking from all four corners at lower speeds.

I'm just running it as is until it's dead. There are no alternative parts available -- just GM replacements and I'm not going to spend $1000-2000 to replace the entire suspension (springs, bushings, control arms, strut mounts, etc.) with the same parts that wore out so quickly.

Engine and transmission are strong, though. Just make sure to replace the timing belt as recommended -- or sooner!

Let us know how you make out with the suspension repairs.
  • sorry to hear of your Aveo's suspension problems.

I was wondering if you knew anything about the new 2007 Chevrolet Aveo 4-door sedan. Is it pretty sound mechanically? Is the jury still out on it because it's so new?

Does this new Aveo also come with built-in suspension problems? The car is not expensive and looks pretty attractive, if you choose the right color and some nice wheels. Do you like the new Aveo sedan?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• Hi everyone

i have an old aging 92 metro ragtop love driving it. its been giving me problems but a fun car 2 drive. when i got it fixed they said it wouldnt be safe for more than a year :sick: at most due to rust from the prior owner leaving it in tall grass for 3 years. the floor boards rusting out. so i just got another job and now am in a hunt for another car. i stumbled on the aveo hatchback and my first thougt on it was very cool looking :shades: . i looked into it further and learned it has roots from the metro. anyone out there can conferm this?it looks like a fun car to drive and if all goes right with the job i will be getting an aveo by the way whats the insurance on these cars average about?
    Does this new Aveo also come with built-in suspension problems?

As far as I know, it's just the early models that have the suspension complaints. Revisions were made in 06 and again for the new 07. Some people have mentioned that the 04s were actually the most reliable in other respects, though.

Do I like the 07 sedan? -- nice interior, uninspired styling, not such a bargain anymore. When the time comes to replace mine, I'll look at everything else first.

The new model hasn't exactly set the automotive world on fire -- people are on waiting lists for the Fit, Yaris and Versa, but Aveos are just sitting on dealer's lots.
    i looked into it further and learned it has roots from the metro.

To my knowledge, no ancestry from the Metro at all. That car was a rebadged Suzuki built in Japan, but the Aveo was designed by Daewoo to be their new Kalos before they went under and GM bought parts of Daewoo's operations in South Korea.

No such thing as an average for insurance -- it'll vary on so many factors. Try comparison shopping online -- I checked when I bought mine through Progressive and it came up with a quote less than 1/3 their own price, which I went with (AIG).
  • new 2007 Chevrolet Aveo sedan. If the color was right and the wheels were right and I know the price is low, there's an outside chance I might take one for a spin and see how I like it.

Not much of a chance but it does exist somewhere. I just would strike it off of my list totally if Chevy hadn't fixed the suspension problems. Nothing like a nagging problem the service department can't seem to replace enough parts to fix fully completely. Not my idea of fun.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• This is the same problem we had with our 05 Aveo the dealership kept telling us it was normal the car was 7 mo old and had 10000 miles on it when we traded it in on a 2006 Cobalt LS before we lost any more money on it.coming up on 1 yr and so far it had been trouble free. The Cobalts are a much better built car and arent much more expensive. :shades:
  • Has anyone seen anything concerning the future addition of stability/traction control on/in the AVEO? GM has said it intends to have ALL of its vehicles available with both stability/traction and OnStar by 2008, I believe. Is it possible, or probable, that these "improvements" will make their way into the AVEO, especially the refreshened AVEO5 which makes its debut sometime early next year (2007)?
    I know this entry level vehicle is just that: "entry level" to some...and not worth the extra expense to those who only want the most inexpensive wheels they can get, but I think there are those who would appreciate and maybe even purchase these "options" if that is what GM has in mind to do with these additions, whether standard or extra cost. The Cobalt is nice, but I'm sure some potential customers will want the AVEO with these improvements. Why? It's smaller, and in NYC smaller IS better, for street parking, errands, etc, IMHO.

Any 4-1-1?

Peace! :shades:
  • I was reading my manual and there is a chapter about starting the car where you need to turn the key to each point before starting the engine. If you don't do this it will flood and you'll have trouble starting it. When you put the key in turn to the first notch (the clock and radio will light up) then the next notch ( the dash settings will adjust, fuel, coolant, etc.) then start the engine, do not give it any gas when doing this either. The engine floods easily. Hope it helps! :)
  • :sick: My son just had the same thing happen to his 2004 Aveo with less than 50,000 miles on it. The shop he had it towed to won't fix it and said he had to take it to the dealership because the valves/pistons might be bent. His gas cap and manual door locks have broken. We consider the car to be a cheap piece of crap.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Posts: 161
    Hi. If you still have not bought an Aveo..I assume you are looking at the hatchback? It has nothing to do with the Geo Metro,like the other post says. It is a Daewoo that is all over the world in most European countries under every name you can think of. As far as insurance goes,even with side airbags,I got no extra deduction for that,because I came down from a big truck with antilock brakes and it could have run over this car. State Farm says my premiums went up because it is 'less crash worthly compared to my truck'. It has a good side and front crash 'worthiness',but it isnt a big truck or a big huge car. It is a little car. So you pay a bit more. And if you go from a 92 to a 2006 or 2007,you will pay a lot more anyway. Go for it,just get the hatchback,the sedan is sooo dull,the 2007 sedan looks a lot better than the 2006,but the hatchback is exactly the same except for a different automatic transmission shifter and a drivers arm rest. Something it desperately needed.
    My son just had the same thing happen to his 2004 Aveo with less than 50,000 miles on it.

If you didn't know already, that repair is covered under the 60K powertrain warranty. If the dealership gives you a hard time, call GM at the number in the driver's manual. I had to!

After 60K, you're on your own as far as timing belt failures, so keep them changed as recommended -- this engine has little margin for error with the belt.
    Hey. Anyone else have their tires go nearly bald at such a low mileage? I only have 2,800 miles on them, and the front tires are already worn so badly. I have to go get them inspected at Pep Boys...that is the place the tire company told me I had to go to, to have them looked at to see if they will replace them under the tire warranty. The tires look like they have 30,000 miles of wear on them! The back ones look brand new of course. I know front wear drive tires wear faster...but I have never had them wear THAT fast. They are worn our evenly,not like if they were out of balance or aligment. Everyone on here seems to say that the tires are junk anyway...but has anyone else also had this problem? I know they will try to wiggle out trying to replace these. BUT I don't think I should have to buy new tires at 3,000 miles. So..anyone else have problems like this that I could tell them about IF the tire company won't cover replacement? I know I am running then on the hard side..but they are wearing out evenly...not the center or the sides. They just look like they are almost out of tread, at 2,800 miles! :mad: .
  • If they are the original tires, I took my car back to the dealership where I purchased my 05 Aveo and the tires were found to be faulty and they were replaced at no charge to me. Good Luck!!
  • I believe someone may have switched tires on you! You may have had work done on your vehicle and someone took your new tires and replaced them with used tires or your tires were switched when you were parked. After you purchase new
    tires you should invest in a set of wheel locks for about $15
    I'm hoping for the 'faulty tire'report today when I go to Pep Boys. How do you get a faulty tire anyway!? My dealer didnt want to hear from me,they said it's all on the makers problem. I seriously doubt anyone switched my tires, all that work for (2)14in tires. Heck, nearly no car even uses 14in tires anymore! Everything is 20-24in rims and tires. I wish they would have taken my wheels and switched them. Ever since I hit that little curb,I have a tiny dent in the front wheel, so I know its my wheel. But if that would have damaged the tire, it would have thrown it out of alignment. They are wearing very evenly. And that was only like 400 miles ago. Well I'll find out today. But I am going to bang out that dent and shoot some flat black paint on it ,just incase they want to blame that,and then make the wheel as dirty as possible to cover any trace of it!!! But if I have to buy two new ones, they wont be these crappy ones, they do sell these exact tires. Ultra high performance onces on Corvettes and exotic cars dont even wear this fast. They even last for up to 20,000 miles...not 3,000. We shall see today.
  • Thinking about a new Aveo SVM. Seems like I can get one for $10 minus my $1k in GM card points, plus about another $500 or so off, so about $8500. Problem is, they want $1400 for AC, which puts it up to $10k again, and beyond what I would consider a great deal on this car. Have some questions:

Has anyone had the dealer install AC on an SVM? How did it go and how does it work?
    What would be you folks' opinion on what a good deal on an 07 SVM hatch with and without AC would be, price-wise?
    Anyone with high miles on their car, and how is it holding up?
    Anyone buy an SVM lately, and what did you get them down to on price?

Thanks for opinions.
    Faulty tires are usually bad or broken belts, leading to vibration or a tendency to blow out and fail completely. I've never heard of a tire wearing out that quickly, although I've seen front tires go bald in 9000 miles on a car that only made turns at very low speeds in a company parking lot (security guard patrol vehicle).

Your dent in the wheel won't cause accelerated wear evenly across the tread. Had the same thing myself, was hammered back and no problems since.

I put on 2800 mi. every 2 weeks -- that kind of wear is disastrously bad. I don't see how anyone could dispute a warranty claim.
    Long story VERY long...these stock Kumo tires are rated to last only 20,000 miles! I was told by the dealer and by Pep Boys tire manager and they both said that they are wearing FAST, but it is because they are 'crappy tires' that GM puts on a cheap car. That came directly from the service manager,at my dealer and the Pep Boy inspection. They both said that they are wearing fast in the front since 75% of the weight is there and since I ONLY drive in the city. I am a 'prime canidate' for tire wear. They measured the tread depth with this very accurate little gauge and the ones that are 'worn out'...in my opinion, are only 2/10's lower than the back ones! So I paid for a rotation of the tires..$21.00, now of course it drives like brand new..but they wont replace them,even though GM admits they are 'cheap crappy tires', and they wear out fast, and more than likely I will need new tire in under 15,000 miles! They are not defective. I reported this to GM and told them if I get in a car accident because I have no grip now in the back..I WILL sue GM for every cent I can get..IF I live through it!! They couldnt have cared less..but it is in my files that I reported that I am VERY worreid about the safety of my tires...they just put it in my file,gave me a complaint number. So I told them..that if I crash because of these crappy tires, that I had inspected at THEIR dealership, and at Pep Boys, as told to me by Kumo,...I will have proof that they should have replaced them with GOOD tires. So..everyone with 14in Kumo 722 tires..watch the wear on them. I can see the wear bars already...and they said as long as the bars are not even with the tread...they are 'good'.! So...hope I live though my crash when I hit a Florida 'puddle' in our rainy season. I am saving now for Goodyears or Pirellis or someother brand! They should not be wearing so fast,they are wearing like Corvette tires or other high performance tires. That are only suppose to last 18,000 miles..but they stick to the road like glue and are on $60K cars! Not a $11K econobox! I am beyond ticked off. But I have run the circle all day yesterday, so once these front ones wear down in 2,500 miles,about 6 months,I'll replace them all! BEWARE!!! of YOUR Kumos.
    Wow! Looked that tire up on tirerack.com and it has NO treadlife warranty -- NONE! I've never heard of such a thing.

There is a workmanship warranty, but apparently that is it. Some consumers gave the Kumho 722 good reviews, even praising the treadlife, but there have been many complaints about early wear on the Aveo.

Have had good luck with my most recent tires -- LeMans Champion HRs purchased at Firestone for $39/each. Have about 40K on the fronts and they're wearing very well and the rears are like new. My last front tires (Falken ZX) were shot at less than 25K miles and in the rain it was like driving on grease.