Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• jworsleyjworsley Posts: 7
    My dealer said they wouldnt charge for the timing belt, but the labor would be around $125. Ive got around 41k now and im still holding out even though GM has recommended to dealer locations that they urge their customers to come in and have it done before the usual 60k. My dealer has had a couple of cases of 45k cars coming in with broken belt so far.

Wave54 regarding your suspension,, as i mentioned before we had to replace both front control arms entirely to stop the creaking and popping. Its even on GM's TSB list as required and it was covered under my warranty. Later we had an additional item that was related to the noise also, a leaky strut. The fixing of the two got rid of all noise. All was covered under warranty.
  • wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    as i mentioned before we had to replace both front control arms entirely to stop the creaking and popping. Its even on GM's TSB list as required and it was covered under my warranty

I'm long past any warranty coverage, so I'm keeping an eye on cost -- the creaking is annoying but not unsafe. Plus, it's from all 4 corners of the car, so lower control arms wouldn't help with the rear end.

I'm more concerned with a constant rumble from 0 mph on up and vibration from the front end. Hoping that replacing the worn front tires will help with that -- the front & rear bearings have been checked and are fine. Sounds like the car has knobby off-road tires.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Posts: 161
    I must be ignorant. Why is everyone so upset about having to replace their timing belt at 60K miles? And for just a couple of hundred dollars in total? Am I missing something?
    If you dont replace it,if it breaks it ruins your engine...right? So they tell you to replace it at 60K miles and then you are protected for another 60K miles...right? So what is the problem?

I remember the timing belt or chain breaking on my Mercury Tracer,a 1997-98 model,I wasn't driving it,my parents were,and luckily they stopped immediately,or my engine would have been ruined I was told. THAT belt cost over $400 to replace! So I dont understand why everyone is complaining.

That car had only like 45K miles on it. And it had no recommended mileage to change it,that I recall. So why is everyone so upset at this replacement?
  • pbolpbol Posts: 15
    Regarding the timing belt issues with these cars,Dont believe all you hear,Many complaints come from dealers and saleman on here trying to degrade the aveo so they will purchase something else,I have asked many people with these cars when i see them,Ask them there milage and to see if they ever replaced the belts,I have run into at least 15 peopel that never ever touched the timing belts,from 72000km to 98000km,So there you have it.Its people that own them ,drive them like race cars,that will break any belt on any car.This gives the reason for most on here replacing them so early 20,25,40 etc kms.Drive it normal and they wont break !The aveo are excellent reliable cars !
    They are upset because they drove the $iss out of their car ,and then the belt breaks,Any car driving like i see them do will break the belt,I have seen lots of aveos and waves with over 78000kms with no new belt.
  • hi there
    i would totally LOVE to talk to you in regards to the lemon law and what you know of it.. i feel i am a victim of bad business with my aveo. and i dont know where to turn.
    thank you
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    For a dealer or saleman to say something like that is really stupid on their part....that would sure drive me to a Yaris or Versa,Fit,Rio,Accent ....not smart on there part.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    There should be lemon law information in your owners manual. You should also be able to find something on that topic on google. The law varies from state to state. Depending on the terms in your state the problem would have to keep repeating itself a certain amount of times before you would qualify.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    You can also drop by our Lemon Law discussion to see if anyone there can help you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I know They are on forums pushing other products,and not just this forum,It can be any forum related to items.And to say it would be stupid for the saleman to do this,Not really,If they can degrade a car or any product on here saying it has to many problems,that would drive you to look at something else,Dont believe dealers or salesman,They will lie to their own grand mother to sell a car !
    Well considering the current 5 door hatchback, and even the sedan, is already sold all over the world, and GM owns the Opel car company already,...and brought over an Opel for Cadillac for a few years as a small luxury car, the 'little Caddy' that was out for a few years in the early 2000's. Bringing THIS car here is easy for them to do. Thats why they brought the 'Kalos' here and slapped on the Aveo name on it. It's known by all sorts of names all over the world. That one looks alot like the Honda Fit. I'd trade mine in on it. IF it really got better mileage. Wonder if they will manage to get REAL 30mpg out of this model??
  • andy_handy_h Posts: 49
    I bought a good digital tire pressure indicator and got my Aveo exactly down to the manufacture's recommendation. I notice my mpg and handling improve a little. This will also improve the life of the tires. Just a small advice.
  • rustywprustywp Posts: 3
    Hey, I have an Aveo 2006 and the hatch broke in Columbus last month on a Wednesday in the afternoon (I live in Dayton, 80 miles from Columbus). Today, I was at the very same location in Columbus, and the hatch broke again! So, as long as I don't try to open the hatch on a Wednesday in Columbus...LOL!
    Do you need to know how to get it fixed right? Or are you just commenting on an old posting of mine,and how yours is now acting like mine use to..till the dealer finally fixed it right after like 6 tries!? :confuse:
  • grace4evergrace4ever Posts: 30
    I just purchased an AVEO as well and owned a Geo Metro just like you. I loved my metro and it was also trouble free. It was a 97 2-dr hatchback 4cyl lsi and has 83,500. Hate to sell it but don't need TWO small cars! Hope I have as good luck with the AVEO.
  • grace4evergrace4ever Posts: 30
    Help! what is the correct tire pressure?
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    grace4ever, you've posted this question in several places. I don't know what the correct pressure is, but in this post:
    pf_flyer, "Chevrolet Aveo Tires/Wheels" #7, 17 Jul 2007 11:54 am
    I've pointed out where you should be able to find it.

Your car is a 2007, there SHOULD be a label, either on the door itself, or in the door frame on the driver's side of the car. That label also has information on the proper size tires that the vehicle should use.If it's not there, for whatever reason, a call to your dealer will solve the mystery.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I saw on another site that the Aveo 5 door will get the same front end of the sedan, along with the sedans interior. The tail-lights also will be changed, but it appears the rest of the car is the same.