Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• Surprised to find an Aveo forum!! There are VERY few of them here in Georgia, at least outside Atlanta. But I just got back from a visit home with my wife for several weeks, to Palermo, Sicily. A friend of mine from Virgina whose job means he LIVES on planes used miles to come over for a week, and we borrowed my father-in-law's 2007 hatch Aveo (called a Chevrolet Kalos in '07, they kept the old Daewoo name until this year) for a 4 day trip around the whole island. It is a 1.2 liter GPL model, uses compressed gas! Switches back and forth to gasoline while driving with a little switch, and the tank fits in the spare well, which means the spare is in a cover, taking up (scarce) luggage space. But GPL is 1/2 the cost of gasoline (they call gas benzina) and the milage is about the same. We ran in the 70-80 mph (interstate speed limit is 130 kph, about 83 mph) range, and the car did a great job. We didn't find too much noise, and there is constant strong wind on the central rolling plains of Sicily. I drive a Towncar 350+ miles round trip to consulting job each week, and don't think I'd want one here because passing on Georgia 2-lane hiways would be hairy. (I don't drive the Towncar in town - ironic - have an old 240D Merc for that which gets 27 mpg in town). And for all you guys talking about small cars, the Aveo is my parents-in-law's BIG Chevrolet! Their other car is a Chevrolet Matiz - actually more fun than the Aveo, but not a highway car really . If anyone is interested, you can probably google it and find Chevy in Italy with pics and so on, though might be in Italian you know.
  • Hi there: has anyone else had issues with their check engine light coming on again and again and again? I purchased my 2008 Aveo 5 2 weeks ago. I left the dealership and on my way home the CE light came on. I read the manual and followed the emission suggestions (check the gas cap, better gas, weight distribution, etc.) to no avail. I took the car in and they told me that there was excess carbon in the muffler so they cleaned it and the car is fine now. So yesterday, just 1 week after receiving my car back from the dealer, on came the CE light again. Its at the dealership now (again). Anyone else experience this? Thanks! :confuse:
  • yngwieyngwie Posts: 16
    Hey ther! I've never had a CE light issue on my 07m Aveo 5.Only problem Iam occasionally having is the damn wiper blades come on without warning. haven't had the time to get it checked yet!
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Sounds like it could be the exhaust oxygen sensor. See the other most recent engine problem posts/
  • Actually, it seems that the intake manifold was improperly built at the factory preventing the entire emissions system from properly working. Chevy is replacing the intake manifold as well as the EGR valve so the problem should go away completely. Thanks for the help though! :)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who recently purchased a new small or mid-sized car and either got great financing or cash back/incentives offered to them . If this is you, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number by Wednesday, October 8, 2008.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• andy_handy_h Posts: 49
    My 2006 Aveo has 50K and has no problem. What's your year, mileage, and luck?
    My 2007 only has 15,000.So far only problem was my wipers would come on at will. I had to remove fuse to stop them. The dealer(Armen Chevy in Ardmore Pa.) fixed the problem no charge as it was a warrenty job. They were great.I driveabout 300 miles a week and love this car!
  • I have 2007 Aveo hatchback and have approx. 10,000 miles on it. I have had no problems except for a minor problem of the passenger air bag light not going off when I had a passenger. I took it to dealer and he fixed at no charge and has been perfect ever since. Other than that, I love this car. It handles great, good gas mileage and comfortable (even for my 6'4" husband). No complaints so far.
  • I purchased a used '06 Pontiac Wave (which is the twin of Aveo, sold only in Canada). The car drives well, no problems so far. Mileage is not great, but acceptable.

I noticed something after the weather started cooling down. It seems to take forever to warm up in cold mornings. It blows cold air for over 5 minutes before it starts to warm up. Heating works fine after that point. It's tolerable now, but I expect it to be a bigger issue as the weather turns colder.

I'll have it looked up as a part of warranty. Has anyone else faced a similar issue?

- sriver.
    5 minutes! This car is an internal combustion engine car. 5 minutes is way too long. Did you turn the knob all the way red?
  • Thanks andy_h.

Yes, it was set to the warmest. I haven't driven it much in real cold weather so far. We haven't had many cold days so far. It warmed up in under 2 minutes today, a relatively warm day (well above freezing).

I'll wait for a few cold days to see if it's as bad as I saw a few times, and then take it to a dealership.

- sandyr.
  • i found out recently the low engine coolant affects the car heating. once i topped it up the heater worked better. somehow the engine coolant is tied in with the heater, i would have thought it would be connected to the air conditioner but it isnt. but then i am no mechanic.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Posts: 161
    Does anyone else have a problem with their windshield being all scratched up from their wiper blades? Mine started to get a scratch pattern only a month after being bought,brand new! I have never had this much scratching on a windshield on any car or truck ever! Is it just mine? Or is this an Aveo issue? I polish it like 2 times a year to try and get rid of some of the scratches,and the 'road grime' and water spots, with a very fine polishing powder that is meant for this purpose. Of course I can't do it as well as maybe a professional company. I replace the wiper blades frequently and use a lot of wiper fluid to keep it wet when i use them. But it seems to be VERY scratched. Anyone else? Or am I being to picky?
    Sandy,

Turn the knob all the way red, turn the fan on full, and kick the rpm up a few times. That should warm your car real quick.

A.
  • aveo5aveo5 Posts: 8
    Is Chevy going to compete with the sub 10K Nissan or does GM want to gift wrap it for the Japanese ?
    That versa has nothing, no ac, no power windows, etc.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Yes, I read that it is a bare bones car with a different grade interior. The lack of radio is the most surprising feature. How much would it cost them for a radio, maybe $10 or so. How about putting at least an AM radio in it like basic cars used to have.
    Hey Folks,
    I am going to replace the stock front door speakers with a pair of pioneer 4" speakers. Crutchfield says they fit. How hard is it to get the front door panel off? I did the rear speakers with pioneer 4by 6's and they fit the opening fine I just had to screw the things into the plastic as not all holes matched up right.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    Neither does the $12,000 Aveo...