Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Meet the Owners

Comments

• I recently picked up my Malibu from a Charlotte, NC area dealer. It's an 2006 Maxx LT:

1. Versatile....6 CD changer, adjustable rear seats, heated seats are a few of my favorites.

2. Classy looking, I opted for midnight blue. The fog lights add a nice touch.

3. Was able to use 2000 GM Card miles

4. Engine, this 3.5 V6 is great on the highway and around town.

5. Leg room. I'm 6'4" so I need it for sure.

6. Mileage. I drove from Spartanburg, SC to Charlotte, NC and averaged 30 MPG. Right now there's about 1,000 miles on the car.
  • airmaxxairmaxx Posts: 9
    I've had my maxx for a while now. I has 33k on it and no problems save a check engine light fixed under warranty. Yesterday I hauled a 6 ft tree, three flats of plants and a large box containing a garden trailer. This with 2 adults. I love this car. Kevin
  • estrauss11estrauss11 Posts: 5
    I forgot to post in my origial reply, that I did own a 1979 Chevy Malibu Classic for many years, until I upgraded to a fully loaded 79 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ.
  • Greetings Fellow Malibu Owners...I purchase my 05 Malibu LT V6 in October of 2005...I racked in over $4000 worth of rebates and dealership incetives as well as used the GM Supplier Discount which brought the asking price all the way down to $25,000 (i purchased)...I Love my Malibu (Scarlet)...I am having trouble out of the brakes which GM REFUSES to replace because they say these are top of the line GM brakes and the sqeeling and grinding is normal!...anyway I love the ride and the gas mileage...I hope you all enjoy your Malibu as much as I LOVE Mine!!
  • I have a 2004 Malibu LS I bought new in November 2003. At over 34k miles, I have had several problems with the car. The major problems has been the steering. I have had the steering column replaced 3 times. After being replaced, it seems fine for a while then more problems. The problems consist of every time I turn the wheel there is a loud "thud" sound. I can also feel it in the wheel. I have complained several times to the same dealer I purchased it from. I called Customer Service and they suggested I take it to a different dealer. Last month I took it to a different dealer with the mound of service paperwork I have. They looked at the car and the service rep told me that GM issued a bulletin in March to service reps about electronic steering issues. According to the bulletin, problems with the steering resurface approximately 3 to 5k miles after being replaced. The rep said GM has made new parts and that they would not be available until June. The repair will be covered under warranty. I will repost once I find out more. Are there any other owners that are having simular problems?
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    first Ive heard about a "new fix" to the steering issue..know there is the same line out for the suspension as well to get rid of the clunk.....but awaiting parts on that as well..so this is a new line.....04 Maxx LT here purchased Feb 04 with 68K on it..and not problems with the steering column at all...will be interesting if this is a reengineering design..will GM retrofit those cars even out of warranty....
  • :mad: They had better fix mine. They will never get rid of me until they do.
  • shakey150shakey150 Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I just purchased a 05 certified chevy malibu LS V6. Car has every option that I could ask for except xm radio. I have to say I really am impressed with this car. This car will run like the wind. The power from the 3.5 is unreal for a v-6 that gets over 30 mpg. handles exceptional. comfortable to drive with many creature comforts. Love the remote start. I was scared of the malibu at first but I am glad I bought it now. Great car at a great price. It's fun to see the look on peoples face when the innocent malibu blows their doors off at red lights. But I bought the car for fuel economy not racing so I got to quit that hehehehe, front tires are also expensive. I have to say I would recommend a malibu to my friends and family. Car feels very safe. Currantly looking for custom accessories would appreciate any links.

Take care all.
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Posts: 101
    Welcome to the Malibu owners club Shakey! It's nice to hear from another satisfied Malibu owner/driver. I get a kick out of the guys who come into this forum raving about their asian cars and how great they are. But as you now know, alot of those cars are seeing alot of Malibu tail lights at intersections! As far as safety, you picked a winner. Have a look at the sites for crash ratings, if you havent already. Its very impressive that GM's Malibu sits in the top 6 along with Audi, Subaru, Lexus, and Saab for safety in it's class. And yes, Malibu beats most top asians for safety.

You'll notice that people do very little complaining about the new Malibus here. In fact there really is only one problem that keeps coming up and thats the steering, which was taken care of after 04. Thats quite impressive when you think about it.

A reason the GMs beat the asians at the traffic lights is good ol north american muscle. Most asians are measuring HP at the flywheel rather than the wheels which makes them look more powerful, on paper at least.

Good luck with the Malibu!
  • I have a 2003 malibu and I love it. I wish it had more speed but other then that I have had no major issues with it. I have found that it sucks gas though. In the florida weather you have to have air on all the time. I owned a chevy cavalier before this and I had all sorts of problems with it so I am so happy that this car is great. I may even upgrade to the 2006 model which is nice too!!
  • I too have a Malibu Maxx who's steering column has been replaced. I am feeling a vibration now, the dealer says its the breaks.I say its in the steering column. When I wreck, you were all my witnesses... its the steering, stupid!
  • loud00loud00 Posts: 2
    Hi everybody,

we bought a 2005 Maxx LT in April 05. Lots of miles in 15 months (35,000) and has been GREAT. Until steering went out. Been in the shop a week, and they "cant get it to work". I believe they have installed a new steering column. Got it back after 1 day, then right back in later that day, still there. I have been horrified to read so many accounts of the same problem, and I have even read all the NHTSA reports. I am seriously thinking of getting out of the car and into an Equinox, although I love so many of the features on the Maxx, and the way it drives and fuel economy.

Does anyone know if there is a legit new fix? If not, I can't see going through this again. I think the dealer will actually be very fair on a trade, and we did get over 1 great year of service from the car, but I am spooked.
    the installation must include a recalibration of the steering column itself.....when you say they cant get it to work...what are you referring too.....most on here have had no problems after the column was replaced...

I have an 04 Maxx LT....and have had no problems at all with mine....just turned 72K on it....
  • loud00loud00 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply!

After they installed it, I was told last Friday that they were getting some sort of "cannot communicate" message.

I have read of multiple cases of people having 2, 3 and 4 columns replaced and still having problems. There have also been (at least) two lemon law awards for Malibu's with this problem, including a case in Oklahoma, I believe, where the state statute was strengthened as a result of a case involving this car/problem. This is why I am not optimistic.
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Posts: 64
    Have the rotors turned or replaced and see if it goes away. My rotors had to be turned at around 7K miles and the probelm has not returned... If it is the brakes, you should only feel it while braking. Could be a lump or slipped belt in a tire as well... tire rotation would change the feel of the problem in that case... replace bad tire to fix that issue. Bent rim? I guess a high speed balance would show a tire or wheel issue, and might correct a minor problem. ;)
  • canam81canam81 Posts: 2
    Good morning everyone, my name is Jason. I bought a used 2001 Chevrolet Malibu 2 years ago, as a car to get me to school... and other things too. I bought my car when I lived in the States at 32900 mi and my odometer flipped to 101000 mi yesterday. Did I mention I love to drive? Anyways, I have enjoyed my car, it has never let me down (knock on wood; it is getting old now). I am a new member here, because I wanted a place to come to learn about the inevitable repairs and any other advice.
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Posts: 64
    Welcome to the forum. I hope I get to 101K with as few issues from my black 2005 Maxx LS (BLKMAXX)... only 84.5K to go...
    04 Maxx LT here..and just flipped 75K yesterday...still going strong....hoping to get at least 125K and more
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    ...enough trips to SC already!! I just turned over 29k :blush:
    hey football starts on 1 Sept...so let the road trips begin..solstice goes down first as we are doing tailofthedragon over labor day in the sol.....318 curves in 11 miles.....

http://www.tailofthedragon.com