Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Oil Changes/Service Questions

1789101113»

Comments

• pennscopennsco Posts: 2
    4 cycl. doing 1st oil change. where is oil filter housing. do i need a special wrench to remove filter or is this special wrench for removing plug? Thanks in advance. :)
  • pennscopennsco Posts: 2
    4 cyl. where is oil filter and wrench is for plug or to remove filter
  • barkernrbarkernr Posts: 3
    The oil filter housing is on the driver's side of the engine block. It has a black cap with a black hex bolt on top of the cap.

You can buy a special tool to remove the cap or you can do what I did. I took a 12-pt. 1 1/16" socket (you can probably use a 6 pt. socket as well) and cut it in half. Works perfectly.
    Where is this o-ring everyone keeps talking about? I have never found an o-ring on the cap to my oil filter cap.

I purchased a fram oil filter, which had an orange o-ring included in the package. I attempted to put that o-ring on top of the threads of the oil filter cap, but when I screwed the cap down the o-ring worked itself out. I just threw it out and screwed on the cap. Did I just do something wrong?
    Where is this o-ring everyone keeps talking about? I have never found an o-ring on the cap to my oil filter cap.

I purchased a fram oil filter, which had an orange o-ring included in the package. I attempted to put that o-ring on top of the threads of the oil filter cap, but when I screwed the cap down the o-ring worked itself out. I just threw it out and screwed on the cap. Did I just do something wrong?
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    If it does not leak you did nothing wrong, you are suppose to remove the old o-ring then install the new one.
    If the old o-ring is not damaged, it can be used over.
1789101113»