Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Oil Changes/Service Questions

Comments

• Good Idea, and I will try non ethanol to see if there is any difference.
  • mybooomybooo Posts: 92
    Just curious, does anyone know where the cabin air filter is on the 05 MAXX? And, is it hard to replace? Thanks in advance!
    OK, I have been running 89.5 Unleaded with 10% ethanol for the last few weeks. I do not see any difference in mileage or performance. Sure beats my 03 Grand Prix GTP that did not like ethanol :-)
  • prdmprdm Posts: 145
    Don't believe they came with filters in place though they seemed to have designed a structure to house them.
  • redmaxxredmaxx Posts: 627
    They did not come with a filter. But if you go to a Saturn dealer and ask for an Ion filter (costs ~12 here) you can just slip it in.

Open the glove box and remove everything. Press in very hard on the sides of the glove box and wiggle it back and forth while trying to pull it away from the dash. Its best to work on getting only one side of the glove box free before working on the other. Once you have disengaged both sides, the glove box will drop down. Now you are looking for a door that is about 2-3 inches tall and about as wide as the filter. Be careful when opening it. I snapped the latches of by trying to undo them the wrong way. Slide the filter in. Pay attention to the markings on which way the air goes on the filter. Inside the car, the air travels downward within that compartment. Close the door and then snap the glove box back in place. You're done!

If you should snap off the latches for that door, then you can a couple of pieces of strong tape (I use strapping take) to hold it in place.
    Thanks for the info! Sounds kinda hard :-) My luck I would break something :-(
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    the glove box is very hard to remove. I have to squeeze one side in about as hard as I can to remove one peg; then I do the other side. I would recommend cutting paper furnace filters instead of wasting money on GM filters. I don't believe you will break the plastic glove box; I have been very rough with mine attempting to get it off. It is well worth the effort since I have seen first hand the dirt and mold I am capturing.
  • I have a problem with the idle. Sometimes it runs so slow it stalls, to keep it running you have to keep your foot on the gas. Other times it runs at 2500 RPMs and if you touch the gas it goes faster. Each time you start it up, that is the idle you have. Most of the time it runs right. If you have a problem you just shut it off and try again, it takes several times or over night The car has 172000 miles and it is cold outside 10to 30 degrees F. If anyone has had this problem I could use the fix. Or is there some other web site I should go to? Thanks
  • you press one side inward at a time.

Be sure there is a good solid support under the filter to prevent it getting sucked into the fan just below it.

One furnace filter that has a plastic grille is WEB. You can cut this to fit the Malibu filter compartment and then put the media filter over the grille.
    Can anyone tell me where the PCV is located on the MAXX? It is about time to change it, and I am not sure where it is. I must be overlooking it! THanks in advance!
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    It plugs into the front value cover to the right of oil fill cap.
    THANKS! Will change it this weekend!
  • We bought a 2005 2.2 Malibu in may 2005 the all round Best Car we have ever owned.
    However early Sept. it began shuttering at idle in drive
    this went on till 5000 miles in December then the check engine lite came on
    took to Chevy dealer they stated the coil(ign.mod.) was gone and cleaned 2 spark plugs one week and 170 miles later the shutting and check lite came back again this time another coil(ing.mod.) :surprise: , 1 injector and 4 new plugs we are driving a fine runing car. But we are wondering when it will pop back up again,as the chevy dealer has no clue why 2 coils(ing mod) and injector have failed. Fingers Crossed.as of 01/07 06
  • tunabobtunabob Posts: 3
    Just got my Maxx(used 2005) and the only thing this car come with was an owners manual. dealer has ordered one, but setting up the auto garage door opener is driving me NUTS! Please, someone tell me how to set it. What the dealer showed me didn't work. Tia, tuna
  • kmaurerkmaurer Posts: 48
    Have you subscribed to MyGMLink.com? You can get an electronic copy of your owner's manual there.
  • tunabobtunabob Posts: 3
    Cool! Did it, got it, done.

Thanks so much.
    tuna
  • john134john134 Posts: 1
    I had a remarkably similar experience with my 2001 Malibu LS: Had the fuel pump replaced after a non-start episode in 3/2004, and then had the ignition module replaced when the problem recurred a month later. This solved the problem until recently. The "theft" light now goes on for no apparent reason intermittently. No non-start episodes yet. Wondered if you had recurrent problems or if Chevy has addressed this systematic annoying problem?
  • qx56qx56 Posts: 69
    bought a set of michilin x at sams car never handeled so good corners like a sports car and the gas mileage is up
    OK, now thanks to your help here, I found the PCV. Now, how the heck does it come out? On our MAXX where the valve goes in, there is like a retaining type holder that looks to be riveted into the engine, thus the pcv does not pull out. I am stumped! I cannot pull the PCV out. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? THANKS! Larry :-)
  • n0rsemann0rseman Posts: 8
    The PCV on the 3.5 in the Maxx is the fixed orifice type. These usually don't need to be changed.