Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 79377937 Posts: 390
    I also had the famous rotten egg smell in the begining. But the dealer had filled up the tank with some unknown brand of gas. The gas station was across the road from the dealership.

After running the tank nearly empty and refilling with a known brand of gas the smell went away. GM also says that the cat converter might smell when new. How many miles have you done so far?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    raybee, I have the same problems. My egg smell certainly is not as bad as with my Vibe's Corolla engine. I also have the rough idle, which is most noticable when the AC is OFF. I also believe this idle issue is causing my shifts to be rougher and rougher. I used the downshift button quite a bit while driving around Shenandoah Natl Park today, and the shifts were all rough.
  • max4me, I haven't had any of the odor problems but I have noticed the rough idle with the AC off. That seems strange, since you would expect the opposite. I love my Maxx, having put 1600 miles on it in four weeks (a couple of medium trips to show off the car to relatives).
    today, I used the manual shift mode in city traffic. When starting from a still position, and the car is in 2nd gear, there is a bit of a clunk to the transmission. Anyone else played with the manual shifter and noticed clunkiness?
  • pmcgpmcg Posts: 5
    As you thought, my steering column was replaced, no questions asked. The service advisor tells me that GM is planning to use the electric power steering system on all of its vehicles. Sure hope they get the bugs out first.

Will now wait and see if the fix holds.
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Glad to hear you got it fixed and that dealer went right to replacing the column. Likely your problem was a small sensor in the column was not working correct - but it requires replacing whole column to repair vehicle

It is doubtful that electric power steering would be used on any vehicles larger than Malibu until 42 volt electrical systems in use. Although electric assist power steering does gives you great fuel economy savings because no energy wasted running a power steering pump when you don't need it, the system still does require a lot of power when making quick turns and the huge SUV/Trucks that so many people drive now just plain weigh too much to do an electrical assist power steering on the column like Malibu and some other smaller vehicles have.

Nice also not to have power steering fluid/lines to deal with.
  • I have a 2000 malibu and it is running hot. I have replaced the motor, radiator, water pump,thermostat

There is no leak it just runs hot and over heats. The water is not flowing through, you can hear the water boiling in the pipes.

Have anyone else encounter this problem...

Please Help
  • 79377937 Posts: 390
    "I have a 2000 malibu and it is running hot. I have replaced the motor, radiator, water pump,thermostat".

Well, that doesn't leave much more to change except the hoses. It's just possible that a rubber hose has got a blockage in it.
  • Thanks,I'll have the hoses replaced again.. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
  • I have a 04 Maxx LT I bought in July and just started getting the "Check Gas Cap" message yesterday. I have the new locking gas cap accessory I bought from the dealer, but I have had this cap for over a month now without a problem. So this message is puzzling. I re-seated the cap several times and am still getting the message. I checked the owner's manual and it said the message should go away after several engine starts. I also talked to the dealer--they had no idea and said I would have to bring it in for them to see it. If I still get it over the next day or so I am going to go back to the stock gas cap and see if the problem goes away. If not, then to the dealer.
    Are you having any problems with fuel gage not going to full when fill up?

Once the message shows up it will not go away until the test runs again and passes successfully. It might be related to new gas cap.

If you bought the locking cap from dealer then repost with its part number and I will do a little research for you. I think GM P/N 22729974 or 10331673 are OK but not sure about others.
  • Hi I have the same model as you..and I have had the rough idle from the first week I purchased the vehicle. The dealer seems to think there is NOTHING wrong..and that is the way it is. I think I will contact Chevy and see what they say about this. I am not happy with the "nothing wrong" diagnosis...and in regard to the exhaust smell I encountered that maybe once since I purchased the car.
  • pmcgpmcg Posts: 5
    Point well taken. When working well the EPS is great, especially useful in parking lots. Hope this fix holds. Nice talking with you.
  • I just joined the discussion forum today and was reading the posts regarding fuel pumps and filters and fuel pressure and hesitations with much interest. I've have had my 00' Malibu (112,000 m.) in the shop 3 times in 2 months. My Malibu was 'shutting down' at 65+ on the highway. It would start to hesitate and then completely shut down. The garage replaced the crank sensor, the ignition system, and finally the fuel pump. After replacing the fuel pump the car no longer shuts down, but still hesitates at 65+ speeds and when accelerating (2000rpm+). I don't believe the garage replaced the fuel filter. I'll check that out. BTW, the service manager and machanics at the Chevy garage all say, "we can't duplicate your problem".
    OK, since I'm having lunch with pao on Tues, I figured I'd put down my list of quirks I'll be looking for to compare to my car:

1. engine idle vibration when stopped (a/c off)
    2. why does the a/c (and light) stay on when you have the defroster temp turned all the way to warmest setting? I didn't think having the a/c on when the heat was on was a good thing
    3. position of temp guage when fully warmed up
    4. rotor vibration when braking lightly
    5. tranny harmonics between 15-35 mph on steady acceleration
    6. clunkiness of manual shifting between 1st and 3rd, and if you can feel the tranny downshift (lurch) to 1st gear when coming to a stop when the car is in 2nd gear

geez, will there be time for lunch? if anyone cares to chime in on any of these topics, feel free. I know many of you have engine idle issues.
  • glennbglennb Posts: 34
    Ditto on the clunking in the manual shift mode maxx4me. I tried manually shifting, but it seems to clunk when it still automatically downshifts even in manual mode.

Glenn Butzlaff
    I have held off on taking the Maxx in for warranty work because we are too busy racking up miles on the car. Right now my list of problems or curiosities is:
    -Warped rotor sound on braking (getting worse).
    -Right side mirror/switch flakey.
    -High pitch whine or whistle (vacuum leak) when car is accelerating.
    -Wheel vibration at certain freeway speeds (maybe rotor related)
    I have low expectations from the dealer tho, based on experience with my power sliding door on my Venture. It did not get fixed till the warranty ran out and I paid for the repair; voila! Never broke again. I may have experienced a brief rough idle yesterday when I started the car, but it was just a momentary thing. I have 4300 miles on in just under 2 months. My wife is hating the car, but the gas mileage is a whole lot better on our weekend excursions. I noticed the gas tank is pretty inaccurate, especially in the full or 1/4 tank range. I have put in 10 gals of gas on an empty tank and had it gauge out to just under full. I am just glad we have this support gro... I mean forum, to compare notes.

Glenn Butzlaff
    Cudahy, WI
    I would like to give you low down on this feature.

I am sorry to say that this is not designed to be a manual transmission shift mode like the Tap Up/Down shifters you might see on other vehicles.

For the Malibu this "+/-" button is simply a method to allow you to downshift to low gears like you would have typically done with the shift lever. On the Malibu this feature is called Electronic Range Select. In order to maximize space in the console area for cupholder and other storage the shifter travel was reduced to have only the PRNDL (5 positions) instead of 6 or 7 positions.

You should consider that this feature is not different then when you shift into lower gears on a vehicle with a shifter that has positions like PRND321. What you see displayed is just the maximum gear that is possible not the gear that you are actually in.

Now the Pontiac G6 GT model DOES have a mode called Driver Shift Control which is more of a manual shift mode. The shifter actually has a special gate you use to upshift or downshift.

I asked someone who knows about this a lot and he says that driving in the L1, L2, L3 range on a Malibu will result in more "feel" (what your are calling clunking) during torque reversals and shift events. You do not feel this when in Drive because of all the stuff in the transmissions that is there to try to give you smooth shifts. Running in the L1, L2, L3 is defeating the transmissions abilty to give smooth shifts. He says there is no advantage to bein in this mode during city driving.

Refer to owner's manaul on page 2-29 (or around there).

Hope that helped.
    Thanks for the tip e2helper. I remember the sales guy telling me this was a feature designed for use as a shifter like I tried using it. Oh well. He doesn't work there anymore...

Glenn B.
    NP,
    Next model year I think there will be another model that might use the shifter the way you were trying.

I can't say any more at this time ;)