Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• gonogogonogo Posts: 872
    The steering column and rack are two completely different parts, serviced separately.
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    "corroded"?

Nope - chafed. And the most typical location was in trunk on driver side (wiring going to rear electrical center).
  • josephusjosephus Posts: 32
    Not a huge deal; but I left my car at the dealership this am and picked it up on the way to work this afternoon. On my way to work I noticed that for some reason they switched my readings to miles from kilometres (I'm in Canada). I don't have my manual handy, I'm at work. How do I switch back to kms? I wanna know what speed I'm driving.
  • zjswzjsw Posts: 2
    I have a 04 Malibu maxx purchased from a private owner a year ago. I got the Chev recall notice last Nov,indicating 3 items needed to be replaced. The first one is the Power steering assis. Orignal schedule to the dealership was cancelled due to the heavy snow. Then I got the second recall notice. There were only 2 items now with the steering one gone.
    I went to the dealership last week.But they checked the VIN on the web and said the steering job was marked as "done" and refused to do it again unless I had it cleared.
    I told them that my car hasn't have any repair job since I bought it. The previous owner also told me that the Steering had a recall,which he didn't had a chance to do .

Today, on my way home, the power steering suddenly went down.

I need to find out why the Chevy marked something unfinished as "done".

Is my problem an isolated one?

BYW,the car is still under warrantee.

Thanks
    Have you gone to Chevrolet website? The number for Customer Assistance Center is available there. If you have owner manual it would be in there as well.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,719
    many thanks, e2!

Is this just a sedan issue? Or both sedan and Maxx issue?

I'll look around the rear electrical center and see if there is anything obvious.

Incidently, if any of your associates can advise how to tell which version of the steering rack is on a Malibu (original or revised) that would be helpful.

_____ Incidently,
    Have noticed the shifting of the autotrans has improved over time. It seems "smarter" regarding switching off its overdrive lock when going up hills.
  • zjswzjsw Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot,e2helper,

I found the number from the chevy website and gave them a call. It turns out that power steering recall expired Jan 31 2006,which explains why my car marked as "done" even though I never had it replaced.

Anyway, I am going to have it repaired under the warranty tomorrow.

Thanks again for help.
  • Got my MAXX LS last july. This problem happened a couple of months later. Basically, when I start my car at stop sign or red light, the steering wheel will turn to left a little bit by itself and then turn back slightly. Since it does not turn back fully, the car pulls left. I should grab it firmly to prevent it turning. But I can feel it tries to turn left. It happens about 70-80% times. Stopped by dealer twice. They always claimed problem solved perfectly. However, it is not. Is there anybody here has the same problem? Thanks.
    1. steering columm electric self centering is not zeroed out properly. Dealer needs to know what it's doing to fix this one.

2. if wheel "pulses" in your hands then the columm may be going bad. This was a problem with some '04 maxxes.

also, the Maxx does have some torque steer (throttle it hard and it will try to pull in one direction (I think it's to the left...).
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 225
    Looks like I'll have to take the car back to the 3 hour away dealership. Had someone drive it back for me that was going over there for the day. Well, after getting it home, I took it for the test drive. They did update the PCM and now shifts right out of 3rd into overdrive while using cruise. Also, replaced the steering column, no rattles or clunks...but they didn't program it. Turns extremely easy to the left, and much harder to the right. So I'll have to make yet another trip over there to get this straightened out. For future reference I think I'll just live with whatever my car is doing, it's getting where it's more of a pain to get things fixed than to just live with the problems. The power steering in these has been around for over 2 years now, you'd think they'd know how to fix them by now. By the way, the dealership I'm taking it to is All American Chevrolet in Odessa Texas.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 225
    Another update on my situation...called them and they're refusing to program it, claiming that it must be the motor since it isn't holding on to the program. Couldn't get them to understand it's a new column that hasn't been programed so it doesn't have one to lose...I should have just lived with the rattly clunky old one. If only dealerships hired people that actually knew how to work on cars! I've been a loyal GM fan since I was born, every car in my drive-way and my parents drive-way has always been a GM. But I can honestly say, I might avoid them in the future as my parents have addmitted they might do so too, their 03 Yukon has gone through two steering columns and two fuel sending units and their 01 Silverado has gone through one steering column and three fuel sending units. I guess the 10.6 billion loss last year had to come from somewhere...
  • beedublubeedublu Posts: 236
    This happened to me once after I had an oil change done at my dealer.

I don't have my manual in front of me, but as I recall, you press the Menu button on the left side of the radio/driver information center until you get something that says (I think) English/Metric Units...when you press Enter, you'll have the option of choosing.

It is listed in the owner's manual (sorry that I can't go look at it right away) under Driver Information Center.
  • Thanks - dealer was able to replicate and found a loose and damaged wire. Living in Ohio it gets plenty wet out. It was starting drive me crazy. But I did about take my husbands head off the first time (he had to show me the key fob was in his car) :P
    Did the dealer say where the wire was located? I checked my Maxx's rear circut box and found a couple of wires that were in dubious positions but nothing that was frayed.
  • Was driving home from Atlantic City with my 2004 Malibu Maxx when I noticed the Temperature Gauge was still on the "C". This was after driving 10 minutes.Normally is positioned at least 1/3 up. Was wondering if using the remote start may have caused the problem or it is something else? Has anyone else had this problem. Tried shutting off and restarting and the same thing. Guess it will have to go in to the dealership. Wondering if it may be a fuse? Any advice will be appreciated.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    I have an 04 Maxx, built 2/25/04, with 27,500 mi. I have not had any problems with the steering column. My car was built after they fixed a known problem. A few weeks ago however, the power steering started acting up. All of a sudden when accelerating from a stop in a parking lot, the wheel started turning to the left all by itself and the car made a U-turn to the left. A lot more effort was then needed to turn the wheel right and no effort to turn it left. This started to happen several times each day. I also noticed a rubbing sound all the time when turning the wheel from stop to stop (windows rolled up and radio off). I never noticed this before. I took it into dealer this past Tue and they replaced the steering column and calibrated the torque and position sensors. The steering assist is now working properly again, but I still hear that rubbing sound.

I never saw the "Steering" Warning Message on the DIC display and the dealer did not say if any DTC codes were set. They just replaced the steering column. I believe there is a TSB out on this problem, 04-02-35-009, issued May 2004.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    Hi islandpete. Yep, everyone has had this problem. The only people who have not, were likely not looking at their guage when it did happen. The problem usually happens only once or twice, then never again. I call it a 'Bu growth spurt. Also, your normal driving temp should be exactly at the halfway point, or even a tick higher; not at the 1/3 position. Don't sweat this one, unless it happens repeatedly.
  • Thanks Maxx4me, actually just guessed at the approximate position of the gauge position. never really committed the position to memory,but will if it starts working. Will start it up in the morning and see if it operates normally. Naturally if it does not work by next week, in it goes. Thanks again for the heads up:-) :shades:
    Off topic but of interest, perhaps for amusement...I read an account by a dealer technician with a customer who brought in a vehicle (not a Malibu) with an occassional door lock complaint.

As the technician said he was underneath the dash checking out wiring trying to duplicate the complaint. He noticed that when we reached to move something that the doors did lock! I can imagine that satisfaction with being able to reproduce complaint because now he could likely isolate the cause.

However he realized that it was not due to him touching anything - it was from the movement of his body! He was laying on driver floor mat.

His story ends with him lifting the floor mat and finding a key fob sitting on the carpet underneath the floor mat. His post had a picture of a fob sitting on the carpet which did a much better job of telling the story than how I did it :D
    The item I was talking about was for the sedan on in the trunk area.
  • Thanks again maxx4me, you were right on the money. Started her up this AM and gauge was moving up after a couple of minutes. The normal driving temp as you also stated was just a hair below the center. I would consider this the normal range. Just a relief knowing it is not a major problem. Hate the hassle of taking it in :( Happy Motoring :D
  • redmaxxredmaxx Posts: 627
    Hi islandpete. Yep, everyone has had this problem. The only people who have not, were likely not looking at their guage when it did happen. The problem usually happens only once or twice, then never again. I call it a 'Bu growth spurt. Also, your normal driving temp should be exactly at the halfway point, or even a tick higher; not at the 1/3 position. Don't sweat this one, unless it happens repeatedly.

Mine has never done this. I watch the guage closely and would know if it did. I had an 03 lemon that went all the way to the red, so I've watched closely ever since. Two or three times a week my 04 will go half or three-quarters between half and the red-zone after getting off the highway and driving through the city. Won't go down until I let the car cool off. Always produces a rough idle.
    thanks, e2. didn't know it only applied to sedan (If I missed something plz obvious ,sorreeee! :blush: )
  • They said in the console. I am glad that it was figured out - the locking/unlocking click drowned out my radio going down the road. I was going nuts.
  • renaldorenaldo Posts: 1
    I have 321 miles on a 2006 Malibu LS, 4 cylinder. When I accelerate slowly there is a slight wobble. On other sites I have found others that have the same problem. It is the front drive axle shafts. I am wondering if anyone has this problem and whether they were able to get GM to fix it.
    Ron Humphrey
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    It could be that your wheel isn't seated properly on the axle.Ask your dealership to do a run out test on the wheel assembly, this will tell you if it's your rim our your output shaft assembly .My Malibu 2005 had a leaking output shaft seal,from the transmission. Fix under warrenty. These GM tech have been very good at fixing my warrenty problems with my 05 Malibu.

Russell
    I just had a oil leak fixed on my 3.5 liter V-6.It was leaking from around my intake manifold gasket. The GM techs put a dye into the oil to trace the exact location . After 1100 km of driving it was form the intake, I thought it was coming form the front main seal . The car only has 27015 km. Has any one else had this problem. Thanks

Russell
  • Yes I had this problem with my first Maxx after only 8600 miles and again at 13800. I am in the process of having had the dye put in my new Maxx to locate the oil leak it has and only 9500 miles at this time. I have also read of others with this problem. It was one of many reasons that GM did a buyback on the first one. We still bought another one and I really love this car. It is such a joy to drive and I love all of its features. I will be going back in next week so that the dealer can blacklight the engine and find the oil leak.
    When did you buy this new 05 Maxx? We factory order our LS in Oct 2 2004 and recieved it in Nov 8 2004. I'm like you, I love this car,and am amazed at all the little things that that have come up .
    The transmission had an output seal leaking from the tranny, GM replaced the seal.The gear shift button wasn't shift the gears when you put into low gear ,manually shift the trany up and down. Problem was a broken pink wire under the shifter assembly. Fixed, no charge. Also have this annoying extended crank time with this car. The starter stays engaged even after the engine is started, about 1-1.5 seconds, only does it once every fifty starts.
    Found a service bulletion from someone on this fourm. Seems that with the 3.5,3.9 v6 GM reprograms the PCM , released 02/05/2006, 02 08/2006 in Canada.

Things like a front marker light that wouldn't always stay on , adjustable petals that decided to stop when we were picking up the new car, 10 km, loose fuse. Stuff like this .
    Russell LS
  • jenifertjenifert Posts: 6
    I have an 05 LS and so far we had to get the windshield replaced because it had air bubbles in it, both visors replaced, then the lining round my windshield because it leaked, My rear view mirror fell off, and now my DVD will be on then just go to radio. Does anyone know what may be wrong with it? Also ever since I got it the headlight shakes. They checked it out & said that nothing is wrong with it....well if the driver side IS shaking and the passenger isnt then apparently something is wrong right? Also sometimes when I use the remote start it barely starts. Any suggestions? :confuse: