Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• it is a malibu ls with 114,000 miles on it, it's rides kinda bumpy but i was told by other malibu owners that its fine, the rpm are at a right place traveling 55, I live in NYC and i use 89 type fuel. Besides an air filter is there anything else that could cause this problem, like a cylinder not working or a plug problem?
  • I think it is just another Maxx thing. Mine does it all the time and my husband (the mechanic) says not to worry. So I don't.
  • I think it is the best car ever. It is the most versatile car I have ever owned and has the greatest features in a small car. Mine is loaded and I would not trade it for anything. I had to have the first one bought back because of all the first year problems and I had them all in one car. But turned right around and bought another one. I get a lot of comments from people who think it is a really nice looking car. Your wife will love this car. My husband doesn't get to drive ours very much. We have a great dealer and no we have no major concerns except what we will do if they discontinue this car and I need to replace it years from now. There is nothing out there that compares for the price. I say go for it. You will be very happy I am sure.
  • Do you know if it is possible for the dealer to turn up the amount of steering assist at Hwy. speeds? I know the system is all computer controlled was just wondering. 05 Maxx LT Thanks
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    First, switch to 87 octane. You are wasting your money using 89 octane. Second, your plugs are long overdue for replacement. Third, since you are in NYC, you have a lot of stop and go traffic. That could be most of the problem. Here's an article someone posted on the Oldsmobile forum regarding bad gas mileage.

http://www.artsautomotive.com/Mileage.htm

Also do you have any "check engine lights" on ?
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    From a dealer standpoint, no, they don't have any ability to modify the "feel" of the system unless a new calibration were released for vehicle - none ever has been that I am aware of. As you might expect the system does have a lot of flexibility in calibration during development phase, however. The same basic system is used on Malibu and G6 but different calibrations are used for those as well as with 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engine due to vehicle weight and handling requirements
  • According to my owners manual there is a "service engine soon" (I forget the exact name) indicator that is supposed to be in the lower left corner of the instrument console.

I have never seen this light show up during startup. Is it supposed to light up during start?

If not, How can I find out if this light is working?
  • Are you sure you want to turn UP the assist? Wouldn't this decrease the road "feel" at highway speeds and make the steering feel less tight?
  • bhw77bhw77 Posts: 101
    Hi gang,
    I am planning my semi-annual dealer visit for oil change and there are couple annoying problems I want to address. One is - there is a ticking noise then engine is cold and it goes away with warm up. Sounds like lifters on my old Mazda (btw I know that there is no lifters in this engine). Any idea?
    I can bet my money that there will be "problem cannot be replicated" response...
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    I would honestly get a second opinion...from someone other than a dealer..for the transmission....try one of the speciality shops.....Im not so sure from your description that is it is the transmission....but have it checked again..or by a different dealer......have you checked the trans fluid levels?...I assume the 02 isnt a sealed system like the 04 is...the 04s had a transmission howl..but it was noticed from start to low acceleration....the clunk sound is also still an issue in the 04/05 maxxes to some degree...I can hear is slightly in mine...but with 57K on mine..an 04..its running fine......again...get that second opinion...
  • redmaxxredmaxx Posts: 627
    According to my owners manual there is a "service engine soon" (I forget the exact name) indicator that is supposed to be in the lower left corner of the instrument console.

According to your owners manual that light will turn on briefly when you turn the key to on.
  • Thanks. It doesn't. Looks like (sigh) another trip to the dealer is in order!
  • xkiddx13xkiddx13 Posts: 122
    besides the fact that its a malibu, go with the '05 cleaner look and and some more of the bugs have been worked out.
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    It is the "Service Vehicle Soon" ;)

Owner's manual for initial 2004 model was incorrect. It was corrected for 2nd printing of 2004 manual

If you want to force on the indicator to light up one thing you could do (if you want to try this) is pop open hood and take a look for the coolant recovery bottle attached to front of dash. Look for wiring connector to this bottle and disconnect it from the bottle. Now turn on ignition and wait for about 10 seconds. The LOW COOLANT message will show up in Driver Info Center, chime sounds and the "Service Vehicle Soon" should illuminate. Just plug back in and the lamp will go off in a few seconds.
  • I bought a used '05 Maxx with 11, 000 miles in December. When I test drove the car I noticed pulsating in the brakes. The dealer said it was because the car had been sitting for a while and fixed the problem for me. Now the brakes are screeching a bit. I mostly notice it first thing in the a.m. or after the car has sat for a long time. I'm wondering if this is something I need to worry about and have checked out or if it's normal.
    Thanks!
  • Yup, it's "normal. I asked my dealer mechanic about it just yesterday. His reply was a "GM went cheap" look and said that a lot of GM vehicles form rust on the rotors overnight (or in my case, over the weekend). The type of steel used in the rotors that come with the car must be prone to quickly forming rust. Once the brakes have been applied a few times, the rust is gone.

I have this problem after driving in rain or snow, then leaving the car sit for the weekend, or once in a while overnight.
  • pwd666pwd666 Posts: 5
    I'm having a problem with my E-brake indicator. It keeps randomly beeping. It usually occurs when you hit a bump or when it decides to go on. I have checked the brake fluid and it's topped off. I'm trying to get at the release switch to replace it but after looking from underneath I was unable to see it. Does anyone know how to get at it? Do I have to remove the entire dash to get at it? Also where is the turn light flasher module located? I checked both fuse boxes and they don't seem to be there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is for a 1999 3.1 l
  • First, thanks E2 for note on the "service vehicle soon".. will try your suggestion soon.

Wrt Brake rotors:

Has anyone else found that (thanks to bad wheel torquing, etc) their disk brake rotors become warped and cause braking pulsing, __if__ the wheels are then remounted and retorqued __properly__, after a time (say 500 miles or so) the shuddering will diminish or possibly go away?

I've noticed that on my '04 Maxx. A real pity most dealers haven't a clue on how to properly torque wheels (had to go to a good tire shop for that).
    OK, I'm having problems getting my radio to do what I want. Every time I get in my car, it starts playing back the CD that is in there. I hit the band button and it goes to FM2. So I cycle through to FM1, listen for a little while and then shut off the car. I hit the lock button on my fob. I can turn the car back on and it comes back up to FM1. However, if I leave it for a number of hours or overnight, its back to CD->FM2. What is going on? Is it possible to COMPLETELY reset the radio (erase ALL stored settings for both fobs?)
    22k miles and I need new brakes. Every time I come to a stop they screech. I've washed the car to no avail, so it isn't dust. I think 22k is pretty bad for brakes, but I do like the stopping quality and quietness of the OEM pads. Is there a way to get that, but have the pads last longer?