Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Post last 6 digits
  • 215123 are the last 6 digits of the LS, I think, although there also is the number 5000 at the very end.
    Looks to be April 22, 2004 (Earth Day!!). Silver exterior color, right? It would have latest steering column. It falls in with the latter half of population of owners on the board.

Others posters might be able to chime in on other stuff they have learned.
  • prdmprdm Posts: 145
    Hi e2helper. Could you run this VIN for build date.
    159183 I know build date is 9/o4 but was wondering about Friday afternoon cars. Is that a myth?
    Thanks, Peter.
    I think it is a myth. BTW your date is 1/23/04 which is......a Friday. Vehicles take longer than a half day to build. I am not sure of entire process time from body shop welding the body panels together to out the door but it is more that an 8 hour shift involving the efforts of thousands :)

Hey where did you buy this car? Your profile says CT but that isn't where car was sold from :)
  • Anybody else finding the neutral cloth upholstery isn't very kid proof? It shows everything, and is already starting to look worn and tired after only 60 days use.

Do they still make plastic seat covers I could have installed?

Other than that, love the car!

Raoul
    VIN 237245
    Davis, CA
    Thanks for the response. It's supposed to be an '05. Door sticker shows build date of 09/04. It came from Hassett Chevrolet in Fairfield, CT with 2 miles on the odometer. All the panels line up perfectly so it can't be a Friday car : )
    Oh sorry, I needed to know it was an 05. Info I gave was incorrect :(
  • e2helper, Just to keep you up to speed. Awhile back you advised me to certainly have the fuel gauge problem taken care of(never goes to full on fillup)which causes "Check Gas Cap" chime and message to activate. Taking it in tomorrow and will make them aware of the TSB that addresses a faulty gas tank design as was reported in a previous post. Also, going to have the brake vibration problem looked at and fixed hopefully. Just curious how long they will keep the vehicle. They had it two days if you recall for the air bag light problem that is still working OK :-) e2helper, My 2004 Maxx LT Vin #F244238, I would appreciate any info you can give me on this build date whenever it was:-)Thanks as always ~~ Pete ~~ from Long Island NY.
    Build Date was 6/3/04 - I already had looked it up :)

About 1 1/2 week after that date they were building 2005 model year so you have a very late 2004 model vehicle

No idea on how long they might have the vehicle, sorry. :(
  • I got the same story from my dealer (San Antonio, Texas). I still beg to differ, but I'll let it go for a while and see if anything else goes wrong. Don't want to take it in for every single thing.
  • Are you able to tell me info about my Maxx? such as steering column? etc. Last 6 is 167914.
    02/06/04. Did you have column replaced? What was your complaint? I kind of thought you would have late updated part in your vehicle already.
    Gee, I had already looked it up before
    09/20/04
    Thank you.
    Peter-
  • duffdduffd Posts: 9
    e2helper did they corret the fuel gauge and check gas cap problem in the 2005 model year I have a 2005 LT maxx and have had the check gas gap message once and I have the fuel gauge problem of never registering full. Vin #101773 would appreciate you telling me anything you can about this vin#
    sorry it is an 2005 LS not LT model.
    06/15/2004, early 2005 model.

Bulletin #04-08-49-025 states both 2004 and 2005 Maxx are affected.

I am sure it is corrected in current 2005 production but believe that there was a certain range of Maxxs affected that spanned 2004-5 model.

The bulletin isn't specific about VINs or build dates however I believe you are in range where it likely is occurring and your experience kind of proves it.

Did you get wireless headphone set with your Rear Seat Audio system?
    yes I got the wireless headphones
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    e2helpher - Just curious, on my 04 Maxx LS (VIN 178793, built Feb 04) the gas gauge has always read full and I have never had the check gas cap message. If the gas tank is a bad design, why aren't all cars affected. Could a car have tank with bad design but work OK? Or was there more than one tank design being used during a production run?
  • I was wondering if anybody else had their howling transmission fixed, and how long it took for the repair. Also, are there any TSBs out on this issue, so I could mention it to the dealer if I decide to have it fixed?

Also, e2helper, I'm sure you're tired of looking up people's build dates, but could you please look mine up and see if there's calibration updates I should be aware of? Last 6 of the VIN is 202032.

Thanks!
  • Just got my 2004 Malibu LS sedan back from dealer, where it had been for a week. It failed to start several days, had a dead battery, and I do mean dead. After I would charge it up, it was fine until the next day. Problem seemed to be the 6 disc CD radio, it was grounding out the battery. The radio was replaced and so far so good. Anyone else had this problem, or heard of this problem. Sure would hate to be caught somewhere with a dead vehicle. Otherwise the car is a pleasure to drive. By the way, bought the vehicle new last April, and it has 4950 miles on it.
    I believe this was a specific issue with fuel tank warpage that occurred for a period of time after your vehicle was built.
    Soon I will know everyone's (LOL)

Your's is 03/31/2004. It was built prior to the latest powertrain calibration, so yes there is an update available (TSB 04-06-04-080)

Sorry, but I don't have any first-hand experience on transmission issues but I think it is covered in TSB 04-07-30-021A. BTW they have to pull the transxle from vehicle to change the part so a pretty big job.
  • Thank you very much e2helper!

Anybody in here had the transmission howl fixed?
  • tra2883, I would describe the sound I hear as something like a low-pitched groan or whine...and only upon initial acceleration. It's not overly disturbing but it is a sound I don't believe I've heard on other GM vehicles I've driven. So far, I'm inclined to see if it gets any worse before contacting the dealer about it. I too am wondering if others hear the same "howl, groan, or whine". And
    I'm also curious as to whether anyone else has had the transmission serviced for that reason.
    From the bulletin.

Some customers may comment on a growl or howl type noise during light to moderate acceleration from a stop. This noise is load and engine RPM sensitive and will occur between 1500 RPM to approximately 2300 RPM. The noise is most noticeable in first and second gear. The noise may dissipate prior to the 1-2 shift, but will be noticed again in second gear depending on the load and engine RPM. The pitch of the noise will change during the 1-2 shift.

The noise is due to the new 5/8 inch drive link assembly being at a resonant frequency during certain driving conditions.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    I have the noise all the time during upshifts. It doesn't bother me a bit. I sure don't think it is worth taking my tranny off of the car, risking leaks and damage just for this noise. It will be interesting for all of us to monitor if there is any higher failure rate among those Bu's who have had the 5/8 inch drive replaced, or those who have not.
  • trw2trw2 Posts: 1
    I just took my vehicle into the dealership for the problem you are describing. They described it as excessive crank time, however they told me they couldn't duplicate the problem after I left it there (not that I was surprised) Anyway, I have no idea how to fix it. I would like to know if anyone else has come up with a concrete solution. I don't like the idea of having a brand new car that sounds worse that the one I traded in when I try to start it. I've never had it not start, but I don't want to have that happen to me next.
    I don't know build date of your vehicle but if not the latest they might want to update the calibration.