Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• choblerchobler Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Malibu and have front end noise when making turns. There is a clunk when I turn the wheels, both ways. My mechanics have changed the bushings, but the problem is still there. They also changed a strut plate, and the problem continues. Any helpful solutions to save me some aggrevation and $$$?
  • 37453745 Posts: 152
    There is a service bulletin - #01-02-32-001 - for the condition and GM is aware of it.

The steering shaft universal joint spline [non-permissible content removed]. was installed without lubrication and causes a slip/stick condition.

An easy fix is to slip the rubber boot under the steering wheel down until you can see the universal joint and spline and, with a squeeze bottle with a long thin pipe attached, squirt clean engine oil down the hollow tube part of the assembly. You'll know what I mean when you see it. This is done from inside the car btw. If you look under the dash you will see the rubber boot.
    I am feeling like the strut or spring is making the noise. It is a loud clunk, and it is very frustrating. Any ideas???
    I have a slow antifreeze leak without any visible fluid leak. Any ideas???
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 612
    Your clunk may be lower control arms being worn out. Does it seem close to the wheels and is noisier when going over bumps?

If you're losing coolant with no visible leak, it's going somewhere internally, not a good thing. Check the oil, if it's cloudy, then the coolant is mixing with it.
    It sounds like there is something being caught, like the spring uncoiling. Could be the lower control arms.

As for the coolant leak, I just changed the oil and it didn't look bad. Will keep an eye on the coolant levels. I just put in some Barr Leak. Hopefully, that will help.

Thanks.
  • jmax4jmax4 Posts: 22
    Does anyone have a problem with the rear shades on the skylights? Mine tend to snap back a few times a month (the car is three months old and has 3000 miles) and the plastic that holds them becomes more flat with every month. The frequency of this problem increases during the hot weather, when the plastic becomes more flexible and does not hold the shades.
    Also, the fabric does not give enough protection from the sun, especially for the small children, which get hot there.

I called GM, but they said that this is the design and no one complained, yet.
  • lfarkashlfarkash Posts: 9
    This is my first posting. I have had my Maxx for 4 months and 6000 miles and I still am amazed at its form, fit and function. However, I have one complaint. I noticed the problem when I was driving with my windows open. The shades would start to flap and the inadequate clip would slip off the frame.

When I took my car into the dealer for its first oil change, I asked them to fix the rear shades on the skylights. They would not stay closed. I was informed that they "operated as designed". After being startled several times, I stopped using the shades. I have considered several options to attempt a fix myself, but I keep hoping that I will get a recall notice with a GM designed fix for the problem. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

I have been very surprised that this hasn't come up on the forum before. I've read comments about lack of a rear wiper and headrest problems. I felt it was just me and too silly to mention. But this problem is the only thing keeping me from being "Completely Satisfied". I, too, would like to know how many out there have given up on keeping there shades closed.
  • skyhawkskyhawk Posts: 126
    I gave up on the shades the first week. I rarely have passengers in the back seat, so I really don't care if they work. They are the cheapest part of the car.

Working as designed means the dealer does not know what to do to fix it.
  • jmax4jmax4 Posts: 22
    I am glad that there are others who have the same opinion about the cheap design of MAXX. I saw this type of skylight in a different car and there was a better design of a latch holding the shade. I would gladly get rid of the shades or keep them open, so there wouldn’t be flapping or slipping off anymore. My problem is that I have a small passenger in the back seat and I am thinking about putting a piece of paper (maybe cardboard) in the place where the shade is. This is even cheaper than Chevy’s design, but it will work better and “operate as designed”. :) That’s the only solution I came up so far.

I hope that we could get somewhere with the complains some day. Thank you.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    I have had my Maxx LS for 2 wks, 550 mi. Have not been to dealer for first service. So far I am extremely happy with this car. Fit, finish and ride quality are above average. As other's have said, my only complaint is the darn rear shades. They won't stay closed.

I'm expecting my dealer to tell me there is nothing they can do to fix this because that's the way they were designed. GM will have to redesign the notch in the trim so the clip ears have something to catch on when it slides up.

Maybe if enough people complain, GM will redesign the window trim and issue a technical service bulletin. When a TSB is issued GM will usually fix the problem for free if car is still under warranty.
  • anamoliianamolii Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 2003 Malibu that has been running very well. But for the past 2 days I noticed a burning smell while I’m driving, and then when I get out of the car, the smell lingers around the drivers side. Then today I noticed my temperature gauge went up 2 pegs above the halfway mark, which it shouldn’t have as it is 50 degrees outside and it’s never really done that before. What is this?
    Aside from a few squeaks here and there, I haven’t had any other problems.
  • kpugh2kpugh2 Posts: 20
    The wife's 04 LS w/ sun roof has a dent about 3" in diameter above the "B" pillar next to corner of sunroof.
    I do not see any surface defects and of course she has not idea what happen. I must say she is careful where she parts the car.
    Her car is black and in 90*+ heat could cause this problem? She does exceed the speed limits 75 mph is common could closing the sunroof at speeds cause this problem? The big question is this a GM problem? Has anyone else exp. this problem? The car is 6+ months old and 12K miles.
    Does anyone know of another GM Malibu forum that could be of help?

Thanks
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    I sincerely doubt that the dent has anything to do with the car's design or closing the sunroof at speeds. I bought my wife's '04 LT a bit over a month ago, and I guarantee you we're both careful where we park the car, as well as how closely we follow other vehicles on the road. Yet, somehow we've still aquired a scratch running horizontally for about 1/2" above the license plate bracket on the front (barely through the blue paint- the whitish primer shows), a 2" scratch on the passenger side fender that is actually down to the metal at its leading edge, and a slight mark vertically up the rear driver's side door about 4" from the door's leading edge (ie.- someone banged their car door into it). I haven't seen any of these as they occurred, despite going out of my way to park in places least likely to have "incidents". Yet, they've still managed to occur somehow, and these scratches weren't there when we drove the car off of the lot.

Basically, I'd suspect someone of hitting the car with something while it was parked one day (not far fetched either- I had a 1994 Geo Tracker parked in front of my townhouse, and some men doing construction decided to use the upper portion of the hood as a temporary resting place for some lumber they were carrying to the next unit down from ours, resulting in a fairly large indentation, and that also didn't leave any surface defects). Does your wife remember exactly where and when she first noticed the dent?
  • kpugh2kpugh2 Posts: 20
    SHe did not notice the dent I did this weekend when doing a visual check of car tires and etc.
    Thanks
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    I found a work around to keep the shades closed. No tools or modifications needed. After you close the shade and hook the ears of the pull clip in the notch, rotate the clip 90 degrees up so that the part of the clip you pull on is parallel to the glass. Then push the entire clip into the molding behind the notch. My shades have stayed closed for over 2 weeks. If you want to open them again, there is enough room for you to get your finger in behind the molding and lift the clip up over the notch area.
  • irritatinirritatin Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a 2001 Malibu. I bought this car after reading that the rotor problem was fixed. Silly me! At 18k miles the wobble started. My solution was to keep driving the car until the wheels feel off. at this point I figured that I had saved enough money to fix the problem for good(got another 9k miles). available to any mechanic or at any good parts store are drilled rotors and ceramic pads. By doing this I escentually equipped my car with high performance brake similar to those of a race car. Not only did this work in keeping the rotors from heating up, but improved the overall performance and feel of the vehical. The cost to me (through a friend) was $127.00 total for the parts. This was only about $73.00 more than after market stock. What an improvement. Why can't GM do this? It might cost them all of $20.00 per car. Good luck.
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    You certainly did the right thing by going with aftermarket parts. Its pretty well understood that the Malibu rotors/pads have limited life, especially in city driving/heavy use. There are many lifetime warranty rotors/pads for the Malibu at auto part stores, and they are very easy to change. Even Midas offers a far better option if a person is not interested in doing their own work. We have had no indications of problems with our '03, and I check the brakes closely at every tire rotation. At the first sign of any brake chatter or wear, I intend to go to far better components than the GM dealers have.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    anyone else received the notification from GM yet?...minor fix to reprogram the ABS controller and to add a retainer in the front safety belt connector.....service to take approximately 30 minutes.....not concerned with a recall as my 99 mustang had three the first year.....and this one is GM directed....so look for your letters!