Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    again another complaint for an incompetent service dealer and one that is shirking their duites for customer satisfaction...Im still amazed......all vehicles will have problems...as noted in all the forums..but without a good dealership and better service department we all are lost...sounds like a ground swell GM needs to know about
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Sorry to hear about your continued problems, wuv.

By the way the remote start is working as designed. Whenever the engine control system has a current fault that will turn on the Check Engine Light, your Remote Vehicle Start system will not be allowed to start the engine.
  • Ok will do but not hopeful I will find one. Also what do I do about the security code and such?! Lemme know
  • The malibu has only hit 32411 and now its making a whistleing noise. When we got it right at 32000 it wasn't making a peep you couldn't even tell it was running from the outside until the engine fan came on to cool it down. I noticed this whistling noise is not uncommon on other vehicles besides the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. A dear friend of ours has a 2001 Toyota RAV4 and hers makes the same exact pitch whistle that my malibu is making at this point. Wonder what it is, now the engine whistling aside from a new came radio speaker problem?! Gee it don't rain it pours on my side of town! PLEASE HELP ME I think i done got myself in deep with this car!
  • Purchased '04 Maxx new a month ago. On 1/21 dealer svc manager wrote that alignment is "within specs". The left drift is only slight, but nonetheless, uncomfortable.

Yesterday, took it to place advertising free alignment check: Tire Kingdom. A year ago took the Expy to same place and dealt a real tech who properly advised me to replace the Continental tires (it solved that problem 100%).

Yesterday, the manager and 2 tire swappers hovered over the machine and setup and finally got a reading that said the Maxx is out of alignment, causing it to drift to the left. The machine's software reported that the caster is not adjustable on '04 Malibu, per GM. The team said they could adjust the toe only (The Hunter brand machine displayed indication of left front wheel toed out, and also needing a caster adjustment). I told them to proceed if they were sure this would help.

After short test drive, I reported that whatever they did, was not a fix. They didn't charge me anything, plus I gathered from their huttles that the alignment tech was off yesterday.

Now here's the scary part. When I hit I-59, the tires began to sing and the front suspension felt a little different (as in loose). Suffice to say that I'm not going to mention to my dealer that anyone has touched the vehicle.

I am going to be firm with my dealer to do another check.

At least one Maxx owner on this site has reported that an alignment solved his left pull problem, and that he paid for it. I'd like to know:

Was that successful alignment done by the dealer?

Is it true that there is no caster adjustment on the Maxx?

Is it likely that another dealer would do an alignment check?

Thanks.
  • Alignment on the 2004 & 2005 Malibu should be left to the dealer. Your T/K people told you right that the caster isn't adjustable (and it isn't on most front-wheel drive cars, for good reason). However front camber is adjustable by shifting the strut, and rear toe and camber is adjustable with built-in cams. BUT, the software also had fine print that said this car may require special OEM tools. Other owners on this forum have mentioned the use of scan tools or such that help re-program the electric steering. This is probably out of the range of the typical tire shop for now.

Go to the dealer before you wear out your tires!
  • Hi All!

Haven't posted in a while because I finally surrendered my Maxx to my wife and took back my '02 Liberty. For the record, the Maxx was purchased in January '04 and has a December'03 build date on the door label. I drove the Maxx again a couple of weeks ago to take my wife to a doctor's appointment and on the way back I got the chime and warning light for a power steering failure. Having read earlier posts, I did what everyone else has done, turned the car off and restarted it. That lasted for about a mile when it failed again. Another restart got me the rest of the way home without a problem. I left the Maxx parked in front of my home, and left NY on 1/21 for 9 days in Cancun (not bad... left the day before the blizzard!) I got home, and on 1/31 drove my wife to yet another doctor about 25 miles from home. On the way back, on a parkway, the steering failed again. Needless to say, I took the car into the dealer this morning. To my amazement and pleasure, without an appointment, the dealer took the Maxx in, replaced the steering column and had it back to me a few hours later in perfect condition. No stress, no problems! This has restored my faith in my Maxx and in my dealer, Dobler Chevy in Hempstead, NY!
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    I was owner that paid (the dealer) for 4W alignment to resolve slight left lead/wander. I believe the toe setting was off. Only reason I had to pay was because I waited too long to complain (6mo./10K), and alignments are considered a normal maintenance item, not covered by warranty. Had I complained at first visit, it would have been covered.
  • tim10tim10 Posts: 15
    A new TSB to address the door freezing problem was released on 1/27 for Equinox and the New Style 04-05 Malibu/Malibu Max. Hopefully e2helper can post the TSB# because I didn't see it at the dealer long enough to write it down.

It was listed as an "urgent upgrade notice" telling the dealership they're required to add the super lubricant to the door handles by march 31st on instock units. It said that GM started applying the lubricant at the factory on 1/07, so any car received by a dealer 1/28 or later will not be affected.
  • I commented about the dealer's initial dismissal of the pull-left problem on the survey form. It gets sent to (if I remember correctly) GA. I'm sure it then gets sent to the dealer.

Plan to drop off Maxx at the dealer ASAP for a 2nd try. Two "We Owe" items they "fixed" were below expectations: "Malibu" bezel replaced in center dash is not lined up well, and removal of rust from passenger rear seat-back hinge was 50%. Svc department was closed when I picked it up last time, plus it was dark, so I was not able to let them know my level of (dis)satisfaction. This dealership is transitioning to new ownership so present level of quality workmanship may not be getting any one's attention at present.
    The number you are looking for is 05-08-64-002 which came out Jan 20.

I don't have any more info on it than that but at least you can reference it for your dealer in case they have problems finding it.
  • A word of advice check cartrakers.com (about chevrolet malibu's) you might not want to keep your car.
  • chrpaichrpai Posts: 32
    Please don't feed the troll. Like someone on Edmunds needs to be told how to find car websites.
  • the url listed does not work. cartrackers.com does work and offers mostly complementary reviews of the 2004 Mailbus.

Yes the malibus have problems but so do its competitors. Biggest problem is our "independent business" dealer setup that guarantees wildly varying dealer quality and experiences.
  • The power steering on my '04 Maxx failed yesterday. I bought it new about eight months ago and it has just over 9,700 miles. I took it to the dealer today and they replaced the steering column, no problem. So, for those keeping track, chalk up another steering column!
  • 37453745 Posts: 152
    Doesn't that put the time of manufacture in the so-called revised component upgrade date? I'd be interested to know what the actual date of manufacture was for your vehicle.
    Yes just provide last 6 of your VIN if you don't know the build date and I will post back your vehicle's birthday for you
  • njmaxxnjmaxx Posts: 15
    hickoryd, i meant to reply to you, but sent to someone else. I have the same leftward pull and lots of svc visits. I'm going through lemon law issues with GM. email me: nietzchean@hotmail.com
  • njmaxxnjmaxx Posts: 15
    kurt, do u work for GM?
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    04 Malibu sedan, has any one with a sedan encountered have the gauge read 3/4 when full. It was showing about a half tank and I know my wife just been local,filled the tank which took 4 gal and read 3/4.