Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Ok - I met with the Service Manager last night (he has been the only one i have been dealing with since visit 2) I discussed with him the Ohio Lemon Law and he feels though i have grounds to stand on since its been in 5 times for fuel and 3 times for alignment - however he admits it is more of the mistake of his service dept not the manufacturing process. He is speaking of extending my warranty to 5-7 years depending on what GM would be willing to do. Has anyone heard of this? I havent seen anything posted about this from what i have searched though. He said he would back me up if I would to pursue the Lemon issue with GM - and explained that they would "buy back" the car at the depreciated value.. i guess i really need to do some more research as far as what is going to happen now. All I know is I bought a new car - so i would not have to take it to the shop - and deal with these issues! This has been the biggest pain! :mad: I think you are all right - i think my car *CAN* be fixed - i think. but how many times do i have to take it there before enough is enough? 5 times in 2 months - 7 times? 10 times? what about when i go to sell/trade in my car? When they look up my VIN number it is going to show all of these repairs right? Grrrr :mad:
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    I had to have the rear quarter panel glass replaced...the repair shop broke it during body repairs.....took 4 weeks to get the piece in...and it was almost $300 for the small piece of glass.....seems it came from some small supplier of GMs....thank goodness it was the other guys insurance company that paid for it!!!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,525
    I think I hear a scare factor being added in... "depreciated value."

IIRC the only mark down is the mileage cost to pay for the mileage you have used on the car that you would have had to pay on any car which you owned. If he thinks they're going to depreciate the car 20% or something, I would contest that.

Who knows lemon law?
    I beleive you are correct on mileage depreciation....in answer to the original question...as long as the dealership inputs the repairs done to the car it should reflect in the GM data base.....

lemon law varies by states......in VA the car has to be our of service for 30 days total for the same problem...and the dealer must be afforded three times to correct the issue.....again check your state laws....also interesting that the service manager admits its his service department and not the manufacture process....that might impact the buy back as well...because it can be fixed.....but again....the number of attempts and the lenght of time in the shop for the same problem are probably the keys
  • In CA it is 30 days out of service does not have to be the same problem. If it is a safety issue you get a better response. However mine were almost all electrical. The stereo was replaced several times, heated seats coming on by themselves, had and oil leak, a headlight replaced, headliner replaced and so on.
    I had my first Maxx bought back under the CA lemon law. It had numerous problems and eventually almost all of them were resolved. When they did the buyback the only deduction made was for mileage usage up to the first repair which was at 845 miles and cost me $194. They do not refund the extended warranty in full it is prorated also. Also any extras that you add like window tint are not reimbursed.
    I would contact your New Motor Vehicle Board in your state, if you have one, and see if they can help you. We have one in CA and they do all the work at no charge.
    Even after all the trouble with the first one, which was an 04, we went back and bought an 05 Maxx. So far to date no trouble. We really love this car.
  • dr0ff0dr0ff0 Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu 2.4L :lemon: and it needs to have four new fuel injectors. Is this something that I can do at home, or does it really need a pro in a shop to do it?

I've been quoted 1.5 hours labor plus the cost of four new injectors at $125 each; I can buy them online for $29.96 each, so I'm thinking I might go ahead and try -- if there is a chance of my actually doing it :-)

Thanks!
  • redmaxxredmaxx Posts: 627
    Problem of the week: Sunroof. Totally inoperative. I suppose that is better than being stuck open. :sick:

Anybody want to take bets on what the next problem is going to be? :lemon:
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    What it comes down to is do you want to dump tis car or stick it out? If you do Lemon Law, don't expect toomuch other than breaking even (depends on how much you are financing). And you still have to buy another car. If you stick it out, it sounds like you may be able to get a extended warranty through GM which may be the route to go if you really like the car. The GM warranty is transferrable which will help when/if you sell your car.

It's a matter of do you want to bail or stick it out?
  • pao,new update - chevrolet says that the part will take another 2 weeks to arrive!
    all this while every week they kept saying thats its coming mid-late this week,and today the rep said that he is embarassed by it - apparently the supplier lied to them about availibility of the part..this happened after a voicemail by him yesterday - "the part is in transit to your town"... amazing set of lies
  • all,is there a consumer complaints forum where I can lodge a complaint against Chevrolet? It will be (hoping it will be) 2 months for the replacement part to arrive - and only now are they considering the option of a loaner car for me - due to safety and security issues,which they didn't feel existed before!
    parts suppliers are always under the control of GM...that was the case with my window...a small town vendor.......anyway...keep us informed
    bad switch..or fuze?
  • 79377937 Posts: 390
    The same engine was used on some Chevy Cavaliers and I have a Chiltons manual for that. It seems as if the job is quite straight forward and should present no difficulties. Why do you need to change the injectors? My 1998 Cavalier has done 130,000 miles with the same injectors and no problems with them to date.

Before you work on the fuel system you must relieve the fuel pressure.

1. Loosen fuel filler cap to relieve tank pressure. Do not tighten at this time.
    2. Start engine and let idle.
    3. Remove fuel pump relay from power distribution block in engine compartment.
    4. Let engine run until fuel supply in fuel pipes is consumed.
    5. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  • redmaxxredmaxx Posts: 627
    bad switch..or fuze?

Who knows? It goes in in a few days so I'm going to let the dealer fix it.
  • I am not sure what state you are in but in CA the warranty does not transfer you have to cancel it and get a refund which is prorated.
    We actually came out ahead on our buyback with the new one being on sale and we had paid off enough we could pay cash and save the finance charges and get the rebate. They do reimburse the full amount you have already paid on the car minus usage fee.
    We were offered an extended warranty and one months car payment first from GM but turned it down and held out for a buyback.
  • :sick: :mad: I have a 1999 Malibu LS. For the most part, it's a good car but recently, I've had problems with the Theft system. The light starts flashing when i first try to start the car and the car will not star. I called a dealer which told me to leave the key on the on position (without starting the engine) for ten (10) minutes and the theft system will re-program itself. This works but i find myself having to do this very frequently.
    CAN ANYONE HELP !!!???
  • Puhrince,

I had my skylight replaced in June, and waited 10 weeks for the part to arrive. Apparently, skylights are not stocked as spare parts and my service manager told me, as you were told, that one would have to be pulled from the assembly line. The issue with my skylight was not with the glass itself, but rather, a large split in one section of the rubber trim that runs around the edge of the glass.

I hope your replacement part arrives sooner than mine did as your issue is serious.
  • Pourlemerite,

I finally got word from GM that the part is not coming off their assembly line,but rather it comes from a supplier in Mexico..they said the part departed from Mexico on Friday.. now why they lied to me earlier i have no idea, and why the part is being shipped only now, i have no idea tooo (neither do they)..
    and the temporary cardboard cover which was coverting the skylight hole came off on the weekend..i had to get a new cover and get it retaped again..at the same time my wife has to watch out for rain
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I'm surprised the dealer does not have a local windshield shop for such items like this. 6 weeks is a long long time for a simple glass replacement.
    not sure its a straight forward glass replacement with the tint etc and it is an odd shape...so probably not a standard piece a local windshield shop would carry...they would probably have to order it as well....
  • I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx in red. I just got a recall notice on the visors. Mine were broke when I did a test drive. Plastic doesn't last too long. Lets hope these new ones are much better.... :D
  • busey1busey1 Posts: 8
    YOu might not want to here this but I had this same problem and they had to replace the whole starter system. then it continued again and they found that there was a water leak in the windshield that dripped into the main computer board under the glove box. I would have them check both out.
  • My 2000 Malibu has the same problem with the rear speakers going out.

Did you fix yours and if so how?

Thanks for the info.
  • This past week I'm leaving work and try to start my 04 Maxx remotely . . nothing happens. I try to unlock the doors remotely . . nothing happens. By this time I'm at the car and can hear a strange whirring. Manually unlock the car and notice every light on the dash flipping on and off randomly. Turn the key in the ignition and nothing happens, no click, nothing but the light show quits. After about 5 seconds with the key in the IGN position, my normal dashboard lights come on but car still won't start. I get a jump from a co-worker and the car starts fine. I drive home, no issues. I turn off the ignition at home and try to restart the car right away with no luck, same symptoms as before (complete with light show). Called the dealer who sent a wrecker, wrecker driver says "dead battery, happens on all the remote start cars". Dealer had the car for 4 hours then called and said car was ready, only problem was the battery died and they replaced it. I understand batteries going down, but 16 months old? Dealer says they checked for parasitic drain (something sucking the battery down) and couldn't find anything. I don't see any other posts on batteries themselves, but I'm wondering if the comment about remote start wiping the battery faster is true.
    I'm afraid that the new Malibu's are fine cars but are having their reputation damaged by crappy electronics. The other day my clock mysteriously lost 10 minutes causing me to be late for work. Then the radio lost its presets - I am the only driver of this vehicle and use the same key fob all the time - then, the radio refused to search so I could not re program the presets. The next day everything worked normal again.

Once when starting the car it sounded as if it was only firing on 2 cylinders - I have the 4cyl. Ecotec - this went on for at least 30 seconds. Switched off and re started and the engine was fine again. This and other random events convinces me that some computer is hanging up or is unstable. I just hope a fix is on the way because I find it very annoying. I don't know what to expect next.
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    What type of radio do you have? How many lines in its display 1 or 2? That is easiest way to tell or whether it has 3 or 4 buttons on each side of display. The base level radio has 1 line and 3 buttons, the uplevel radio has 2 lines of display and 4 buttons.

The radio with Six-Disc CD changer is another radio version which also has 2 lines of display and 4 buttons although they have different functions.
    If this is factory remote starter I am not aware that it causes any extra battery drain. He might have been commenting on aftermarket stuff which I am sure would cause extra battery drain since they are adding additional electronic modules to the vehicle.

Do you know approx build date of your vehicle?
    My radio has 1 line of display and 3 buttons each side. It has a single disc player.
  • TSB 04-02-32-003, does indeed reduce rattles and clunks that the steering gear can generate within the steering rack.

It also makes the steering feel lifeless and numb, and may cause it to "pulse" in the center position.

I'll have it checked again at the 30K checkup and see if it can be backed off a little. No fun having lifeless steering.
    Thx for info. If I come up with any suggestions I will post back