Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    I have an 04 Maxx. The brakes were fine until the first time the dealer rotated the tires at 6,000 mi. After about 3k miles the pulsing started when stopping from high speed. They turned the front rotors at 9,500 miles, no charge, and all was well.

The tires were rotated again at 11,800 miles. Again about 3,000 mi later the pulsing problem returned. They turned all 4 rotors at 18,000 mi. Again no charge and all was well.

There is a 12 Page Service bulletin for all GM vehicles that explains in detail the Brake Warranty Service and Procedures that should be followed. It specifically says that improper torqing of lug nuts can cause lateral run out and pulsing problems. The bulletin number is 00-05-22-002E, last updated March 2005. There may be a later version F, which adds the 2006 model cars and light duty trucks.

I went out and purchased a torque wrench. Whenever I have my tires rotated, or wheels removed by anyone, as soon as I get home, I retorque the lug nuts to 100 ftlb. I have not had any pulsing problems since, now have 25,000 mi.

Contrary to what dealers may tell you, the service bulletin says that rotors are covered under the 3/36 warranty. The rotors must be refinished (turned), not replaced. However, if they do this multiple times and the rotors go below the minimum thickness, they must replace them under warranty. Unfortunately, they will use the same crappy rotors.
  • crosby1crosby1 Posts: 23
    I apologize if I appear to be rubber-necking here, but the idea of getting access to information comparable what has been described as a "build sheet" is worth the risk of appearing nosy. Please reply if this can be shared. If not I understand.
  • Sounds exactly what I have experienced, thanks! I will discuss bulletin with dealer and see if they will actually do anything about it.

Per Consumers U, Malibus have had a ___long___ history of brake problems. I suspect this rotor issue may be the primary culprit.
  • pwd666pwd666 Posts: 5
    Do I need to take apart the steering wheel colum to get at it?

Also is it just one screw that hold in the release switch for the park brake in?

Eric
  • I have a 2005 malibu ls with 7500 miles on it. I have had XM radio problems from the 1st month i owned it. they have installed 4 radio's and 1 body control module. Now the cd player will not work. they tell me it is a software problem. my local service has worked on it for 4 days straight and no luck. He tells me it is between GM and Delphi to fix the software problem. I Might have a software glich with my computer that writes the check for my payment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    What type of problem do you have with XM and when does it occur? Right at start-up or when you are driving?

Would you be willing to post back last 6 of your VIN so can get an idea of history?
    No don't need to take apart steering wheel/column.

I don't have enough info about how the switch is attached to assembly. Service info doesn't have specifics about the replacement of the park brake switch and it has been too long since I have seen one personally to remember it.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 874
    Why would the dealer tell an owner the rotors are not covered under the 3/36, if the factory pays them to do the work???
  • mybooomybooo Posts: 92
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question - I have a similat type tumping noise that comes from the front left side when I apply the brakes from highway sppeds. This only happens at highway speeds, and not in town. It also does not do it everytime. I would think if the rotors were warped, it would do it all the time at highway speed and not just some times. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the steering problem that my dealer is waiting for the part from Chevy (due 1st qtr 06)? Any ideas? THANKS!
  • I have no frigging idea....

But very worrysome that service departments often don't read the info GM sends them. Might explain who so many of them ___don't___ know what they are doing?
  • rft3rft3 Posts: 1
    This buffeting / noise issue is terrible. Has anyone successed in getting GM to address it?

Thanks!! Bob
  • If both of my '04 Maxx's windows are open at the same time, there is severe buffeting, probably caused by air turbulence around the tail/hatch region.

This has been common to most hatch backs I have driven. There's no trunk to smooth the airflow out behind the rear windows.

A workaround is to open front and opposite back. You get good airflow that way with very little noise. Also, opening one side works as long as windows are not rolled down too far.
  • 2000 Malibu, 3.1 engine. 92K. All of a sudden won't start. Has gas, of course! HELP??????
  • I'm not sure what you mean... Where is the flasher located again? is it beside the blower motor? or around the steering wheel? Any word on the release switch?
    Hmmm. Turn signal flasher is part of the hazard switch as I posted before. This term "hazard switch" is used in owner manual so I don't know how better to mention it. See page 2-46 of your owner manual if you have one for a graphic of entire instrument panel. The hazard switch is item "H" and is located between the instrument cluster and the AC vents above the radio. Most important thing I mentioned was that this part has been recalled on some vehicles and yours might be one of them. See recall number in original post.

As far as the park brake switch I am afraid you will need to stick your head under the dash and look for it. It is located on the park brake pedal assembly opposite the actual pedal for your foot. It will have an electrical connection with a single blue wire going to it. To give you a roadmap where to look :) start at the bottom of pedal...measure up about 9 1/4 inches and then forward about 9 inches.
  • I have an '05 Maxx purchased in December. Today was unseasonably warm so I decided to turn off the heat in my car. However, even though I had the heater turned to the "off" position, there was still warm air blowing from the vents. Anyone know anything about this one?
    Thanks.
    Likely because you were driving the vehicle at the time. Although you have the blower motor turned off your forward motion will result in "ram" air being forced into the passenger compartment. Under those conditions you should just adjust the temperature control.

That is my guess at least
  • bhw77bhw77 Posts: 101
    I finally decided to drop my Maxx to the dealer for oil change and take care of few annoying problems.
    Here is that I've got:
    Problem - Engine makes ticking noise then cold.
    Response - "After oil and filter change no ticking present"
    Of course 3 hours later then engine cooled off ticking is there

Problem - Rear shades will not stay closed.
    Response - "shades working as designed" means not working

Problem - a rattle or clink noise from foot well area
    Response - "Remove and replace steering column kit and test drove. noise now gone"
    Power steering assist has gone also. I had a noise and power steering before dealer visit - now I don't have neither.

ehelper2, please could you give me TSB for sunshades problem? I found # 04-08-110-004A, but they told me that this one for "different types of shades".
    Also - What is steering column kit
    part #88967179 - S/col rem 6.518
    Car is 04 Maxx, build in april 04

To add an insult they SMOKED in my car...
    I guess I am going back tomorrow.
    Sorry to hear your issues bhw..

I don't have suggestion on your first item (engine tick)

WRT to rear shades, the TSB now #04-08-110-004B - I don't know what changed with rev "B". Still indicating applicable to 2004/5 Maxx and adds reinforcements P/N 15227088. They have to remove the headliner to add the reinforcements. No different types of shades as far as I know but I just caution that they are removing the headliner to add them.

The steering column kit is the steering column part number replaced by campaign done on earlier 2004 Malibu - your vehicle wasn't covered by campaign but this is likely the part number of any replacement column.

Are you indicating that you now have no power assist?

There is another document dealer has available for review which might have been applicable to your vehicle for rattle complaint although you probably described it more detail to them than what you posted here. However you might suggest they look at #PIC3747. It is for a noise which doesn't have anything to do with the column but likely sometimes hard to isolate where a noise is coming from. It indicates a TSB will be issued for dealers soon with more details when parts available.
  • bhw77bhw77 Posts: 101
    to ehelper2
    <<Are you indicating that you now have no power assist? >>

There is some left, but after "fix" steering became much heavier, especially at low speed (parking) and
    VERY slow returns to center. Dealer "informed" me
    about TSB 04-02-35-009 from May 24,2004 (steering column replacement ) and offered to do it if "fix" doesn't help.
    I did not have any common issues with steering besides rattle (before "fix")
    As a ticking noise - it took local mechanic who I work with my other cars 2 min to tighten a belt and it is gone.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    It could be a number of things but the first thing I would check is the battery. next would be the ignition module. Know problem with igniiton switches located on the dash.
    There are several "zeroing" routines that must be done when the column is replaced - maybe dealer didn't perform them?
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    I have same problem with my 04 Maxx LS with sunroof. If I drive with only the back windows down, you hear the load resonating sound. The lower the windows, the louder it gets. On my car, the noise is coming from the headliner. You can see and feel the entire headliner shaking. I just don't open the back windows unless the front windows or sunroof is also open. Not sure this is unique to hatchbacks. I also have 05 Equinox SUV that does same thing.
  • There is a TSB on this that will provide you with a wind deflector the dealer will install. It gets rid of the noise. e2helper should be able to give you the TSB# I had one done right after buying my Maxx and I love it.
    I am still trying to figure out why so many drive around with rear windows only down :P

However to answer request, I am only aware of a TSB for a wind deflector for sunroof on 2004/5 models. #04-08-67-009 however that is for sunroof

I believe GM Accessories (and likely aftermarket) have wind deflectors available for purchase which are to help keep out water when windows open - and likely reduce wind buffeting. I don't have any personal experience on any of those products and I don't think there is any type of TSB for that.
  • E2, driving with only Rear windows down helps keep blareing truck engines and other noise out of the drivers' ear.

But the buffeting at speed with both rears open is annoying.

A trick to get around that is passanger front/driver rear windows open for maximum circulation (this can blow stuff out of the car!!).
  • e2helper the TSB I was referring to was for the sunroof. It helped with the buffeting noise when the sunroof is open and the back windows are down. I drive with the back windows down and not the front to cool the car and not get myself windblown.
  • I am also having the same problem. Hope someone can help soon!!!!
  • suddenly the electric windows (all) dont work and replaced circuit breaker. still dont work. also noticed that heater/ac blower doesnt work. where do i start looking for the problem and are the two items not working related? thank you
    What model year?