Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Sierra Hybrid pickup

Comments

• sinepmansinepman Posts: 137
    They always tend to get less than the average person. I suppose their editors have lead feet. They were not too keen on the auto stop feature either. It probably needs some refining. I don't even see it advertised either. I guess it was another GM flop. Oh well.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    From what I read they only produced 300 of the Sierra hybrids for non fleet sales. I don't think they are a big seller. Generally the public is not interested in the technology. The Prius is a fluke that caught the attention of Hollywood and then appealed to the techno geek crowd.

The auto-stop does take getting used to. It is very nice to sit at a stop light in total silence except for the AC fan. When you let off the brake the engine starts so quietly that you do not hear it if the radio is playing. You have to look at the tach to tell if it is running. I have less than 300 miles on mine so I cannot give any mileage details. The total indicated by the computer is 17.2 MPG. That is on very short trips to the store.
  • molokaimolokai Posts: 313
    I guess there are tons of geeks around. Let's say to the tune of 100,000? That's just the 2005 model year. A fluke? Nah... it's called making a GOOD car. I am definitely not a geek, but I do love the technology in this vehicle. Averaging 47.1 on this tank with two trips on the highway at 80 MPH. Can't beat that!! Whew... I love this car.
  • sinepmansinepman Posts: 137
    I love new technology and I am impressed from what I have read on this and other forums. I was going to wait for the Camry, but I may just get the 06. I hear there are few improvements they've already made in the Euro version. I look forward to getting rid of my BMW. I LOVE the car, but there have been too many warranty issues.
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    I've been following all the threads too. I am hoping to score an 06 Prius just in time to take advantage of the new tax credit. Regarding BMW, they are probably the best out of all the German car makers now. I am sorry you had problems with yours. Good luck!!!
  • Good for Toyota for making a car that people like. But why does it become a club to hate GM? Obviously, GM has missed the hybrid boat. It was more than the fad that they thought it was. But GM is still doing quite a bit for the auto world. They are working on Hydrogen technology and though it is at least 10 years away, think of the potential. A car whose only emission is water. I hope that GM will partner with Toyota, Honda, D-C, and Ford, and end this stupid debate on fuel economy. Some people like trucks and don't mind paying more the gas. Some people like a greener car that may cost a little more, but they like the gas mileage and can sleep with themselves at night. Bottom line, drive what you want, it's your choice. Be glad that we have more to decide on than just color.
  • I agree. I'm a pleased-as-punch HCH owner and I almost always am on the side of 'hybrid' in these discussions.

But I applaud GM for making the hybrid they have. And I applaud their investments in other technologies. They may be late, but IMO they are moving in a positive direction.

So stop the bashing. Doing so only trivializes your own point of view, and sways people in the wrong direction.

And I love reading Gary's posts, even though I often disagree with him. He's one of the best things going on this forum.
    And I love reading Gary's posts

You are too kind. I like to debate what ever the subject. My friends don't always agree with me either. We still get along great. As for my Sierra hybrid. We went shopping at Home Depot and Lowe's this morning. I told my wife I would not miss driving the Passat too much when we sell it. I would rather pay a few bucks more for fuel and be in a PU truck. I just cannot get into driving a car. Too low to see what is going on ahead of me. Mileage holding a 15 MPG with all short 3 mile trips on the hybrid. Gas dropped another 4 cents today, $2.799.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > stop the bashing

It's the misrepresentation that upsets people.

Hybrid means there is some type of blending.

Since no electric propulsion whatsoever is provided, no blending has occurred. It's just an improvement to the existing system, increasing response time and extending fuel-cut to non-moving conditions. The engine provides 100% of the thrust.

GM should have called this improvement something else, rather than "hybrid".

JOHN
    I think you have missed some of the purpose of the GMC Hybrid. It also uses regenerative braking to charge the batteries. The hybrid system is quite useful on construction jobs with four 120 volt AC 20 amp circuits available. The climate control is electric saving fuel while running on battery power. It also saves gas while stopped in traffic. And the biggest thing it is the ONLY HYBRID PU truck on the market. Nothing Toyota builds would satisfy my vehicular needs. Toyota is still years behind GM in the truck building business. That is the bottom line.

Definition of Hybrid
    Something of mixed origin or composition.
    Something, such as a computer or power plant, having two kinds of components that produce the same or similar results.

I don't see in the definition of hybrid where the Prius is anymore qualified as a hybrid than the Honda or GM hybrids. It is merely the combining of different components to give an end result. The desired end result is the saving of a bit of fuel. In the case of the GMC Hybrid I did not have to give up Handling, comfort & towing ability.
    GM merely used the term to try and entice interest. Apparently it didn't work too well as they sold very little. The mileage gains are nil. Essentially you're just paying for a generator.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > Something of mixed origin or composition.

There is no mixing.

Where's the component that doesn't already exist?

The battery is bigger than usual and the starter is bigger than usual.

It's an improvement to original parts, nothing new.

JOHN
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,732
    "Where's the component that doesn't already exist?

The battery is bigger than usual and the starter is bigger than usual. "

Well, there is the equipment added to enable the regenerative braking to charge the batteries, plus the electric A/C (gary, correct me if I'm wrong on this one), and of course the components to run those electric 110V outlets. Those don't exist on a stock GMC...
    No offense

No offense taken.
    I also don't worship any vehicles. They are just a means to get me and my stuff from one place to another. Actually buying the Sierra Hybrid was an after thought. It had the engine and towing package I wanted. The dealer offered the hybrid option for a grand and I figured what the hey. I like the truck. It is very Quiet & smoothest running vehicle we own including the Lexus. I don't get offended easily. I realize there are a lot of zealots hang out on this forum with very narrow vision.
    "I realize there are a lot of zealots hang out on this forum with very narrow vision."

I get annoyed when people talk about themselves on this forum :P :P
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Enough of the personal stuff. Resist the urge to talk about each other and stick to the topics please.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• I would love to buy a GMC anything but the hybrid would be better. Saving gas is always a good thing. Unfoprtunately, all the reserach I have done suggests that the new hybrid does not have any better mpg than my 2001 Sierra. The complexity of the system doesn't seem to warrent a change nor the 17 mpg city. That is not a savings to me.
  • jray4jray4 Posts: 15
    GM is getting bad publicity by people who probably never owned a GM vehicle. I' ve owned nothing but GM vehicles for the last 30 years. I agree during the past years styling was not the greatest but their engineering was always good. I usually trade cars about every 3 years, but my wife Buick is 10 years old with about 100,000 miles on it and it still has the original battery and brake linings. The only thing that has been replaced are tires oil, filters and belts. GM cars starts at the touch of the key and you can not find cars that starts better than a GM vehicle. I also own a Vette and you can not find another car of it's type and engineering for the money.
    What I driving now is Pontiac Vibe and if you don't know, this car is the same as a Toyota Matrix with a little different sheet metal styling. I bought this car out of curiosity to see what is all this hype about the Toyota's. Well, now I know and I can wait to get rid of it. I've had brake problems, wheel bearings, noisy transmission and basically a very noisy car. The horn on a motorcyle sound louder and is bigger than this car. So I've change the horn and now is the time to change this lousy car and buy good GM car like maybe Chevy Cobalt that rides like a big car and a Pontiac Solstice,

Joe
    Cobalt was rated low by CR. GM is in the shape they're in now because their quality has been poor in recent years. That's changed. Good luck!!
    I have the Sierra hybrid. The only reason for you to get the new hybrid version is if you want the 110 volt 20 amp capability. I like mine so far. It is very quiet starting. The auto stop works great at the stop lights. The climate control keeps you cool even in 100 plus weather. I doubt you will see much difference in mileage. Another plus is no smog tests in CA.
This discussion has been closed.