Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Sierra Hybrid pickup

124»

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,962
    We just took the GMC PU on a road trip through part of the Southwest. The coolest day we had was over 90 degrees. The Climate control in the cab was set at 75 degrees and kept us very comfortable for the entire trip. Much of the time was over 100 degrees. Phoenix was 113 degrees, you can have that larsb. I was pleased with the mileage on this trip. I drove the speed limit or 4 MPH over most of the time. The best tank was mostly between 65-75 MPH. Even out on Interstate 8 driving 75-80 MPH from Yuma to Phoenix we got 19.93 MPG. That was the hottest day of the trip. Best mileage was driving from Albuquerque to Durango up to Mesa Verde National Park and then over to Page, AZ.

Overall gas mileage in the GMC hybrid PU truck 19.56 MPG. High tank from Cortez Colorado to Page Arizona 21.79 MPG. Low mileage was while in Albuquerque 17.57 MPG, 161 miles city driving.

Conclusion: I do not think the hybrid system makes any difference in mileage on the highway. I think the 5.3L GM engine is the best compromise for a vehicle of this size. By surpassing the EPA rating (pre 2008) it proved to me, if you do not make fast starts and cruise at comfortable speed you can get the rated mileage. Also the CA designer gas is lousy for mileage. Shell outside CA yielding the best mileage. Looks like this tank of CA Shell will be the lowest mileage of the trip when I fill up next time. The computer says 18.3 MPG. It is usually .5 MPG lower than calculated. I expect the last leg to be about 18.8 MPG.
  • Has anyone had to replace a hybrid battery yet in the GM hybrid truck?

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 4x4 Hybrid with 39,000 miles. The truck just died on me the other day. Went to start it one morning and it wouldn't turn over.

Towed it to a GMC dealer with a tech. qualified to work on it and they are saying one of the hybrid batteries is dead and the other two show a low charge. Current estimate is 3 to 5 days for a new battery to arrive.

Also, initially the dealership was saying that the battery is NOT covered under warranty. Everything I have says GM is covering ALL the hybrid components for 8yrs/100,000 miles - this includes the batteries.

The dealership says this sounds right to them and that they were just going off what the tech. had said in regards to the warranty.

I'm curious to see what experiences others may have had.
    I only have 12k miles on my 2005 Sierra. It is 25 months old and no problems so far. I plan to buy the extended warranty if I keep it past 3 years.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,868
    A Forbes.com article on the least efficient hybrids and the dreaded "hybrid premium" are the subject of today's Alternate Route entry, Boon or Bane?

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

My Sierra Hybrid was a nice enough truck. I sold it and would never consider another hybrid. They are TOO complex. Too much to go wrong. In fact most new cars suffer from too many gadgets that are going to cost you a ton of money when the warranty expires. I am going to buy older vehicles and just drive them. Keep the money in the bank. Let the masses make car payments the rest of their lives. Hybrids are the current leader in throw-away technology for cars.
124»
This discussion has been closed.