Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Sierra Hybrid pickup

1235»

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680
    Will they get a tax credit? 18 MPG city may be wishful thinking. Has to be a lighter foot than mine. 21 MPG highway should be doable.

General Motors says the hybrid system gives the trucks the best city mileage ratings of any full-size pickups.

EPA ratings show the trucks get 18 mpg in the city and 21 on the highway for two-wheel-drive models. Four-wheel-drive models get 17 city and 19 highway ratings.

http://www.mlive.com/business/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/business-1/113111950572770.xml&col- l=5
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    Great truck if you live in Florida. You have to admit, it's nice to have a rolling generator. GM should really not slap a hybrid sticker on it. Let's face it, it's not a hybrid. It's a pickup truck with a built in generator. NOT a bad thing. I'd buy it IF I needed a PU.
    If you drive the Sierra hybrid 15k miles per year you will save 167 gallons over a conventional Sierra. If you compare that to a Prius over a Camry the savings is only 128 gallons per year.

PS
    With auto stop it is close in concept to the Honda hybrids. NO smog check you gotta love it.
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    On the East coast we have no such checks. I am registered in PA. Lucky me!! Gotta love it!!
    The GMC is running great. Drove 380 miles to Barstow and back last Thursday. First time on the highway with the Hybrid. I had just convinced the dealer to exchange the tires on the truck. It had Goodyear Wrangler ST's, possibly the worst tire ever made. In the first rain they were so bad I could not take off without spinning them. Now I have Firestone Destination LE's. Somewhat taller and wider. The GYs were 235/75/16, the Firestone's are 265/70/16. Much more solid driving and riding experience. I don't know if they affected my odometer or speedometer.

Back to our trip. I started out trying to drive 65 MPH, the speed limit on Interstate 15 in San Diego. The computer indicated right at 20 MPG. It was obvious I was holding up traffic even in the right hand lane so I gave up and went with the 75 MPH flow. This was at 9AM and the traffic was still very heavy headed North. South bound was stop n Go. Other than slow downs at the main freeway exits we maintained the 70-75 MPH for the 185 mile drive to Barstow. Driving home was equally heavy but seemed to move smoother with less slow downs. The North bound lanes were stop n Go for the last 75 miles into the San Diego area. I could not commute in that for any amount of money.

The truck is very quiet and the XM classical stations provided uninterrupted music the whole trip. The trip computer gave us an 18.2 MPG for the entire tank. I had filled up before we left and did so on our return. Calculated mileage was 18.87 MPG. The truck now has about 1250 miles on it.

I got a real surprise in the mail from Farmer's Insurance. Because it is a Hybrid they lowered my premium from $545 to $399. That paid for all my gas for the first 6 months.

Conclusion:
    I like driving the truck. I don't see a mileage improvement, maybe after it is broken in. I would still rather have a 1/2 ton PU with a 5 cylinder diesel like the one in our Mercedes RV. That is an 8000 lb vehicle that gets 22-26 MPG. Gasoline propulsion is just a highly refined losing proposition IMO.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Which of the following best describes why you own a hybrid?

a) to make a statement

b) for the tax credit and other perks

c) because they’re environmentally friendly

d) to save money at the pump

e) to be the first to own new technology

Please submit a few sentences to support your response no later than Friday, January 27, 2006. Be sure to include your Forums username. Thanks! (wclarke@edmunds.com)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Does this mean your truck now goes UP in value since no one can buy a new one?

Or does it have the opposite effect?

GM Nixes Hybrid Pickups

Hybrids on Hold
    GM axes hybrid pickups until two-mode system debuts in 2008

By RICHARD TRUETT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Updated: 04/26/07, 10:06 am et
    DETROIT -- Despite rising gasoline prices, General Motors quietly has dropped the hybrid versions of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups.

GM's next hybrid pickups are due in about 18 months.

The Silverado Hybrid sold for $30,040 including shipping, about $3,000 more than a V-8 powered Silverado with the same size engine and same trim. The Silverado Hybrid and the more upscale Sierra Hybrid were launched in late 2004. They were GM's first gasoline-electric hybrids. But neither truck received much promotion, and sales were slow.

The total production run of both trucks was about 3,000, according to GM. There are a few unsold models of both trucks in dealer inventory, said Chevrolet spokesman Brian Gobel. Production ended in December.

Neither truck generated much buzz, mostly because the hybrid system didn't drive the vehicle on electric power alone. The fuel economy increase of 2 mpg compared with a standard Silverado or Sierra was not dramatic enough to captivate buyers the way the Toyota Prius did.

But the trucks did offer several unique features, including an onboard 2,400-watt generator and four 120-volt outlets. They also gave GM bragging rights about having the most fuel-efficient V-8-powered full-sized pickup.

In idle mode, the trucks could generate enough electricity to power a house. GM officials had hoped the hybrid Silverado and Sierra would find a market with construction workers, campers and others who needed electricity in remote places.
    I still have mine for sale. I have had several people interested. I will not sell it cheap. It is almost 2 years old with 9300 miles on it. Edmunds Private sale TMV is right at the price I paid new. If I sell it at wholesale I will only lose about $1000. My biggest complaint is the extended cab with overlapping suicide doors. Same complaint as people with the FJ Cruiser. If I have not sold it when it gets close to 3 years I will buy the extended warranty. You know how flaky hybrids are :)
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    That pickup was nothing but a traditional vehicle with an auto-stop feature.

To qualify as a hybrid, something needs to be combined. Not getting any propulsion power whatsoever from an electric motor meant it never met the criteria.

It was disingenously labeled, a vehicle serving as a great example of "greenwashing".

Thank goodness it is being discontinued.

JOHN
    Well John I think you have found something we agree on. It does also have regenerative braking that is noteworthy. I am not sure the auto-stop makes any difference in mileage. I get about 15 MPG around town. Nothing to write home about. Thankfully I did not get stuck paying a $3000 premium. The dealer wanted to unload it during the big sales of 2005.
    We just took the GMC PU on a road trip through part of the Southwest. The coolest day we had was over 90 degrees. The Climate control in the cab was set at 75 degrees and kept us very comfortable for the entire trip. Much of the time was over 100 degrees. Phoenix was 113 degrees, you can have that larsb. I was pleased with the mileage on this trip. I drove the speed limit or 4 MPH over most of the time. The best tank was mostly between 65-75 MPH. Even out on Interstate 8 driving 75-80 MPH from Yuma to Phoenix we got 19.93 MPG. That was the hottest day of the trip. Best mileage was driving from Albuquerque to Durango up to Mesa Verde National Park and then over to Page, AZ.

Overall gas mileage in the GMC hybrid PU truck 19.56 MPG. High tank from Cortez Colorado to Page Arizona 21.79 MPG. Low mileage was while in Albuquerque 17.57 MPG, 161 miles city driving.

Conclusion: I do not think the hybrid system makes any difference in mileage on the highway. I think the 5.3L GM engine is the best compromise for a vehicle of this size. By surpassing the EPA rating (pre 2008) it proved to me, if you do not make fast starts and cruise at comfortable speed you can get the rated mileage. Also the CA designer gas is lousy for mileage. Shell outside CA yielding the best mileage. Looks like this tank of CA Shell will be the lowest mileage of the trip when I fill up next time. The computer says 18.3 MPG. It is usually .5 MPG lower than calculated. I expect the last leg to be about 18.8 MPG.
  • Has anyone had to replace a hybrid battery yet in the GM hybrid truck?

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 4x4 Hybrid with 39,000 miles. The truck just died on me the other day. Went to start it one morning and it wouldn't turn over.

Towed it to a GMC dealer with a tech. qualified to work on it and they are saying one of the hybrid batteries is dead and the other two show a low charge. Current estimate is 3 to 5 days for a new battery to arrive.

Also, initially the dealership was saying that the battery is NOT covered under warranty. Everything I have says GM is covering ALL the hybrid components for 8yrs/100,000 miles - this includes the batteries.

The dealership says this sounds right to them and that they were just going off what the tech. had said in regards to the warranty.

I'm curious to see what experiences others may have had.
    I only have 12k miles on my 2005 Sierra. It is 25 months old and no problems so far. I plan to buy the extended warranty if I keep it past 3 years.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    A Forbes.com article on the least efficient hybrids and the dreaded "hybrid premium" are the subject of today's Alternate Route entry, Boon or Bane?

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

My Sierra Hybrid was a nice enough truck. I sold it and would never consider another hybrid. They are TOO complex. Too much to go wrong. In fact most new cars suffer from too many gadgets that are going to cost you a ton of money when the warranty expires. I am going to buy older vehicles and just drive them. Keep the money in the bank. Let the masses make car payments the rest of their lives. Hybrids are the current leader in throw-away technology for cars.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.