Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• My own car purchase 5 years ago was very complicated and took quite a bit of maneuvering to get what I wanted at the price I wanted. A few years ago, I helped my husband buy a new Passat and it was a comparatively painless experience to get exactly what we wanted at the price we wanted. This time, I was helping my brother make a Jetta purchase (because of my husband's Passat, my brother really had his eye on a Jetta). Admittedly this was a difficult purchase to research because we started out looking at CPOs and prices vary widely. But we finally made our way back to the dealership where my husband had bought his Passat and had another very positive experience there (Antwerpen Volkswagen in Pasadena MD... I would recommend them to any VW shoppers in the area).

Here's what he bought: a "demo" 2004 Jetta GL Automatic w/ESP in platinum grey sold as "new" with full factory warranty (that begins counting from his purchase date and the existing odometer reading). The MSRP is $19160 and the invoice is $17984. We got it for $14131 + destination charge and TTL. I'd read a lot of pros and cons about demos, especially when they have a few thousand miles as this one did. But we checked it out thoroughly, gave it a test drive and felt fine about it having been, essentially, used.

The price seemed good, even if you research it as a used car, and especially compared to all the 2000-2002s that we checked out in our area. As a used car, Edmund's TMV pricing puts his Jetta at $13,982 private sale, and $15,746 dealer sale. They also suggest $16,461 as a dealer CPO price. Of course as a used car, you'd have no destination charge, so a fair comparison on price would be to include the $457 destination charge my brother paid, making his car $14,588.

So the numbers seemed right whether you looked at used car pricing or new car pricing. And he got all the benefits of a new car. My brother was basically able to get exactly what he wanted in a newer model, with lower mileage than what he'd found elsewhere and that was because it was a demo. There was simply more negotiating room because of the VW new car incentives. We walked out of the dealership feeling really happy about the car and the price.

Here's the breakdown:

Car: $14131
    Freight: $457
    Tax: $729 (5% MD)
    Documentation Fee: $49*
    Title/Tags: (I don't recall this number, but it was what we expected it to be)
    Financing was done at 4.99%

* I was pretty sure this was a dealer profit add-on to the bill, but honestly, it wasn't big enough to cause a fuss over (they have to make thei money someplace).

I know it can be difficult shopping for a used car or for a demo because there isn't as much information. So I hope this experience helps someone else out there.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Sounds like your brother got a good deal on a solid car. I hope he enjoys his new ride.
  • You are not understanding my previous posts discussing this. If you are paying 2.9% in interest and making 5% in the savings account, you are making money.

That's all I'm saying on this topic.
  • This is probably way too late; however, as far as the price is concerned - I purchased a similar car for 20,500 - but it had the 1.8T, but it was manual. It also had the sports package.

I think you can get a little better price on the car...but that's just me.
  • hankyhanky Posts: 6
    I negotiated down to $200 below invoice on a 2005 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon. Is that a good price?
  • I know it is quite a stretch, but Hewlett VW in Georgetown has the best customer service. I wanted a TDI, so one saturday morning my husband and I started calling every VW dealership in the state for the best price. They beat everyone hands down, and now I am the proud owner of a 2004 TDI. No hassles, no fuss. It was painless and stress free. My dealership experience made buying my TDI that much better.
  • Hi,
    I am looking to buy a 2005 Jetta GLS (not the redesigned one). I know it carries 1.9% apr. Can these cars be bought below invoice with the introduction of the new Jetta? Any good deals people are getting?
    Thanks!
  • irenek90irenek90 Posts: 1
    Leftover 2004 Jetta GLI, loaded with everthing, NEW.
    Sticker is just under $26K and they are offering it for just under $21K.

I know it's a good deal, but considering the car is going to be 2 model years old in a few more months, I want it to be an exceptional deal.

Should I jump on this or should I get them to come down a little more considering I can spend a little more for the new model, which I also like?
  • etbeaveretbeaver Posts: 3
    Yes, I picked up two jetta's GLS TDI's for 250.00 over invoice only because my wife and I were 1200 miles from home. If North Penn Imports in Pa. stuck to what we agreed on threw our e-mails and would have disclosed the fact that you can not get loyalty rebate with out financing with them, per North Penn Imports!!! Their word means nothing even when given in black and white! But my lawyer sees them handing over my two 500.00 rebates real soon. It pays to have a lawyer in the family!!!
    If you can afford it, I would get the new 05a due out this may or june, that are 20% bigger all around. With all the old problems fixed. Just wait until june or july 06, and if those 04's are still sitting there you could get even a better price, yes they may even pay you with a little kindness.
  • waisunwaisun Posts: 4
    Irenek90,

Are you getting this quote from North Penn Imp? Have you bought from them already? I think $21,000 is a good deal since you got 200hp, 17" low profile tire wheel, ESP, ASR, EDL, sports suspension, which GL, or GLS have not got.
    As a matter of fact, I bought one from them on Apr 1. I prefer this one over the new
    2005.5, more hp, better handling and better VW look. The only compliant is the braking power.
  • molloymolloy Posts: 2
    Although I'm a normally intelligent person, I get thoroughly stupid when I sit down with a salesman. Remember that girl in school who did fine in all her classes, but flunked Finance? Yes, that was me. Someone please help!!

My daughter is in college, 5 states away, with 7 YEARS of grad school before getting a real job - she currently has 3 part time jobs. I'm going to co-sign a car loan for her. Her 1995 Civic has been an excellent car, but it now has 95,000 miles and constantly needs repairs/part replacements. Anyway, she wants a Jetta, and I want a reliable, long-lasting, safe car for as little as possible.

Questions:
    1. Does VW currently offer any financing deals?
    2. Does VW offer "certified used vehicles"?
    3. Anyone know Jetta's crash test safety rating?
    4. Can anyone explain the 05a - how does it differ from the 05?
    5. We'd like to buy an 05 demo, but if unavailable, would you suggest a used Jetta, or a new one?
    6. What "off the lot" price should I aim for? ie: $200 over invoice, $1,000 under msrp...?

Thank you all so much for your opinions.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    95,000 mile is nothing and repairs are extremely unlikely to exceed the cost of buying a car, buy a new car if you want but don't think that you are saving money by doing so. My daughter is in college (she is getting out with a BS in about a year) she drives a 95 Ford Contour with 130,000 miles on it.

1. Does VW currently offer any financing deals? yes, I think 1.9% old Jetta and 2.9% on the new version. These are currently through tomorrow, so you will want to see what new incentives are in a couple days

2. Does VW offer "certified used vehicles"? yes

3. Anyone know Jetta's crash test safety rating? Good...check iihs.org and safercar.gov

4. Can anyone explain the 05a - how does it differ from the 05? A lot. New one is much larger and is a totally new design. When you look them up here on endmunds.com, the new one is 2.5 and value edition old one is GL GLS, etc.

5. We'd like to buy an 05 demo, but if unavailable, would you suggest a used Jetta, or a new one? If it was my daughter, I'd suggest she keep the used 95 Civic ;)

6. What "off the lot" price should I aim for? ie: $200 over invoice, $1,000 under msrp...? Use edmunds TMV also look at the link to incentives when you do the TMV thing. Also look at carsdirect.com.
  • molloymolloy Posts: 2
    To Jeffyscott: Thank you so much - your reply was so complete, fast, and very helpful. I'm really appreciative!
  • shelby2shelby2 Posts: 1
    My husband and I looked at a 2002 Jetta GLS TDI, manual w/ almost 52,000 miles on it. At first, the salesman told me the price was $18,880, but that it was a loaded car and sold initially for $24,000. Does this sound right? In subsequent research I can only find a MSRP of $18,950.

They lowered the price almost immediately to $16,880 and when I got home there was an email w/ the price at $15,900, but the blue book value looks like it's about $13,000.

Also, I read one review on epinions that said the the 2002 had terrible reliability problems and that it single handedly brought the overall reliability of the European import lower than the US car mfgrs to its lowest level in 30 years.

Any of this sound right, wrong, or??? I'm a bit confused. Considering the CarFAX report, but not until I've exhausted free avenues.

Thanx.
  • cposcpos Posts: 1
    Please what ever you do do not I repeat do not buy a VW from Rusty Wallis Volkswagon!!!!! I had the worst experience that anyone could ever have with that dealership. They did several illegal deads, padding the deal, they faked the certification on my car, service problems, really really bad car history ect. YOu name it, and it happened to me. After I bought my car I started taking it to Park Cities. I recieved good service there but please stay away from Rusty Wallis. I have filled several compliants with the city, state and government agencies. Some of the stuff that they did to me is completely against the Law. Best of luck! : :lemon:
    We bought Graphite Blue VE for my wife today. Got a really good price, they sold it to us for about $18,940 with automatic and ESP (including the dealer's $89 "processing fee"). This is about $50 below invoice.

We had to go about 75 miles away to get it but (in addition to getting exactly what my wife wanted) the deal was worth it. Buying experience was completely painless at Zimbrick VW Marketplace in Middelton, WI. I emailed them asked what their price was on the specific car we wanted and they came back with $18,849. I asked for the "out-the-door" price and they sent back itemized price totaling $20,017, with the processing fee, tax, title and plates. This was the exact amount that we paid when we got the car.

The only surprise was they said edmunds was wrong about the 2.9% financing from VW. Edmunds says this is for up to 48 months, but dealer said it was only for up to 24 months. We took the 24 month loan.
  • philip_gphilip_g Posts: 3
    Does anyone have an opinion on the 229/month lease deal they have on the VW website?
    Seem ok? Seem like a ripoff?

2005 new Jetta 2.5 with Manual Transmission

$229/month
    36-month lease
    $1,974 due at signing
    (plus license, tax, options and dealer fees)
    $2,199 due at signing for NY State residents
    (plus license, tax, options and dealer fees)

Or, see your local VW dealer for one of the many other great lease deals available on Jetta sedans.
    **US cars only. $229 first month's payment, $1,170 down payment, $0 security deposit and $575 acquisition fee ($800 acquisition fee for NY State residents) due at lease inception. Monthly payments total $8,244. Based on MSRP of $21,005 for a 2005 new Jetta 2.5 vehicle with 5-speed manual transmission, excluding title, taxes, options and dealer charges. Closed-end lease offered to highest qualified customers by Volkswagen Credit through participating dealers. Supplies limited. Offer ends June 30, 2005. Requires dealer contribution of $543.73, which could affect final negotiated transaction. Lessee responsible for insurance. At lease end lessees responsible for $0.15/mile over 36,000 miles for damage and excessive wear. Additional charges may apply at lease end. Purchase option at lease end for $11,762.80. Dealer sets actual prices. See your Volkswagen dealer for details.

http://www.vw.com/jetta/offers_incentives.html
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Wife likes the car. We have to have auto tranny, mats, keyless entry, wheel well moldings and door edge guards, the last 2 items I always insist on down here in South Florida...rude parking lot drivers!
    The floor salesman gave us a price at $18,600 plus T, T & L and the internet guy said $18,999 plus T, T & L. Think we are being played, but not sure yet. Also not sure about VW "reliability" having owned Japanese brands since 1988.
    I asked for "out the door" prices, as we always pay cash and will probaly have a trade. Our time table is between now and July 4th weekend. If she likes it, I will go and drive the particular car she wants to check for alignment/tire problems, radio reception & to make sure all electronics work as they should. Then I will go in with her and use the credit card and a check for the balance if they give us the price that they said, have a printed e-mail copy from the internet guy and a paper copy from the salesman. Hopefully, they will honor the "lower" price and be fair with the trade in.
    Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, as a bit shaky about VW quality still!

The Sandman :confuse:
  • Hi Philip, did anyone respond to you? I"m wondering the same thing and am waiting for a lease to come in from the dealer on an automatic trans with a moon roof. It seems that no where can you find info on lease rates! good or bad
  • I just spoke to a dealer and that promo of $229 a month is actually not includeing tax etc so it works out to be much higher
    Think we are being played, but not sure yet.

Why? Prices you quote sound pretty good...right around invoice. VW has 2.9% financing on this model, I did not get any indication that a lower price could be had by turning down the financing...so we took it even though we could have paid cash if we really wanted to. We only got two year loan, some dealers have 4 years at that 2.9% rate.

Auto trans and ESP are the only options available on VE (we got both on ours). Floor mats and keyless entry are standard, assuming you mean the remote keyless thing. Not sure what door edge guards or wheel well moldings are, so can't comment on whether the car has those.

I think the negative reliability reputation is overdone with VW...but have never owned one. Consumer Reports puts them about average. Prices on extended warranty, while higher than Honda or Toyota, are not particularly high on VWs...so they can not be all that bad.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Still not quite clear on what ESP is. Anyone?

The Sandman :confuse:
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    Just tell you one example of ESP will prevent you from accident/injury, a few weeks ago, I drove off I95 offramp and try to cut off a car in my right lane and exit and there is a right curve to turn immediately after cutoff and my car's speed is too high, when I almost felt I will skid out, the engine started to reduce power and I felt some additional braking on my pedal and my car is safely on the right track. Thanks for the EPS.
  • thekingtheking Posts: 107
    :D My wife leased a 2.5 Jetta (not the value edition that internet managers offer when you ask for a price quote on a 2.5) with automatic and Xm radio;no optional packs 1 or 2. The capitalized price was at exact dealer invoice (I asked about holdback and VW to dealer only $2000 program..Was told "no way Jose" ) Her cost was $269 a month not including 5% Mass. tax for 48 month 48 k miles with 0 down and she paid first payment and reg. and doc fees of $600.00 . How did she do ????
    Take the deal. Don't 21k is a good price for a diesel jetta gls 100 hp w/esp. that is not the issue; here. Honesty you know the only thing one can take to the grave is your word. Internet salesmen at Norhtpenn imports simply did not stick to his word and they played games. He is new and he can not give that price. Bs, he must check with the fat man in the main office in order to reply with any kind of quote! North penn also broke the federal law that states clearly that ONLY the owner can remove the vehicles new sticker that was not in the windows of neither of the 05 jetta's I picked-up! They may ask you; the New owner if they can remove, but to take it upon ones self and never even show the customer, is in violation of the federal law, and Pa. attorney general is receiving my complaint letter shortly!!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    A reporter hopes to interview recent VW or Audi model buyers aged 30-40 who are first time buyers of a VW Group car and willing to discuss their profession/income; and recent VW or Audi buyers aged 30-40 who are repeat buyers of the brand and willing to discuss their profession/income. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, July 20, 2005, and provide your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• melanie3melanie3 Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 old style Jetta GLS for 17,850, including all the dealers' fees. I took the $2000 cash back rather than the low financing, but the dealer told me I could not get the $500 vw owner loyalty bonus without using vw financing. Does anyone know if this is true?
    Looks like that is true. A little digging on vw.com found this:

VW Owners and Lessees, get a $500 thank-you when you purchase or lease your next VW by September 6.

Current Volkswagen owners or lessees get $500 toward their next VW if they finance or lease through Volkswagen Credit by September 6.
  • dgnesmithdgnesmith Posts: 1
    Hi to all,
    I have been combing the internet for two weeks now looking for a high mileage jetta tdi, manual, 2000-present. I can't find anything above 125k miles for sale. I know they are out there, but I don't have a clue where to look. All the jettas on ebay are lower milage vehicles with prices I'm not willing to pay (I just bought my first house and don't want a car payment).

Does anyone know where I should look or know anyone ready to sell?
    Please let me know.

Thanks, Dan