Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Oil Change

124»

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,785
    This was good advise 30 years ago.

This doesn't happen anymore.
  • gyushergyusher Posts: 67
    Personally I am of the opinion that motor oil also goes through a 'break-in' period and actually performs best around 2-5K miles when it starts to wear out (for lack of a better word). I use Mobil 1 and change oil and filter at 6K. I watch for deals then buy as much M1 as I can afford depending on what kind of deal. I remember when I switched to M1. Walmart had 5qt bottles on sale for 7 bucks. I bought 40 of them.

I do watch for the 'rating' to be sure I'm using what my car calls for plus I try not to have so much on hand that it 'spoils' in the can.

Speaking of Penzoil (with Z7). . . I used it with one quart of ATF in each oil change in my 71 Oldsmobile (455) that I drove for 370K. It still ran fine but after 14 years I was getting tired of the car. . .

I also knew a guy who changed his filter and added 1 quart of 'Quaker State' every 1K miles and never changed his oil completly. I personally saw first hand 2 cars that this guy drove for over 100K doing this. . . Not I. . .

I know with motor oil opinions are like rear ends but in the end I think the manual knows best for the most part. That said however there are always exceptions.
  • nickitxnickitx Posts: 1
    I'm going to change my engine oil in a few months. However, I'm confused of what oil is needed for my 2004 Dodge Neon, which oil do you recommand for synthetic oil?

In addition, how do I know if I should replace my oil filter? Should it be in every 3 months?

thanks
  • gyushergyusher Posts: 67
    Check the manual for weight and amount. If no manual check around the dipstick among other places under the hood for those values.

As far as 'brand' goes. . . Mobile 1 among others.
  • what ever you do ,choose a oil that you like and stick with it.and use any primum oil filter.these oil filtre have better valves in them that help keep oil draining out of the block and head,or the upper half of the moter.
  • The least hassle:
    Your Dodge Neon needs 0w-30 or a 5w-30, so you could put in Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30, change it in the Fall ( because oil thickens slightly over time), and leave it in with a Mobil1 oil filter for 1 year or 15,000 miles.

If you don't mind extra time/labor costs, go for Valvoline Synpower 5w-30, as they are showing that they have lower Sequence IVA wear than Mobil1. Or you could choose not to believe Valvoline's test results and use Mobil 1 0W-30 for its great cold start flow characteristics to minimize wear. Those synthetics should be able to go 6 months or 10,000 miles easily. If you live in a very dusty climate, or make frequent short trips, or have a lot of idling time, then change more often.

There is a war of claims going on now:
    Valvoline Synpower claims 4 times the wear protection compared to Mobil1. We don't know if they can back it up, but the Mobil lawyers are trying to shoot them down on that.
    See link: Click Here for Valvoline link
    And Mobil's response: Click here for Mobil's response
  • I think you should go for the 1000 mile oil change. My friend did that and he has not encountered any problems in his car so far
  • lobolobo Posts: 5
    Anybody here that can help me with a little problem?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,331
    Fire away!

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Anybody here that can help me with a little problem?

Sure. I'd do the first oil change around 1,500 miles, just because I want to get the older oil out, even though it may not have that many miles on it. Probably doesn't matter.. 3k or 5k would probably be fine.
  • I just had my 2000 Jeep serviced after being submerged for 4 hours in a flood that went up to the headlights. The service station said I should have the engine oil changed twice, just to be sure all the water got out of the oil, so I okay'd it. The more I thought about it, the madder I got as I feel I got taken since I'm a lady. Was that good advice? I'm really burning mad that I spent money for back-to-back oil changes--that seems ridiculous and I'm embarrassed to tell anybody. Your advice would be helpful as I need to pick my Jeep up tomorrow and I feel like I may give them a piece of my mind as I feel they cheated me out of my money.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I think they gave you good advice, and the cost of an oil change isn't so bad that you should feel you were taken advantage of. The oil is the least of your problems though, with a water level that high the long term effects on the electronics is going to haunt you in the future.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,785
    Comning in late here but the other poster is right. Paying for two oil changes is the least thing you should be worried about and my guess is you have already found this out.

At a minimum, you should have changed ALL of the fluids in that Jeep.

They gave you good advise and you are mad because you think they cheated you?

Amazing!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,338
    Lucky you weren't charged for changing the headlight fluid.
  • I remember buying my 2003 Odyssey EX-L NAV for $30K, MSRP was $32K
    I got a sticker shock when I see the price has gone up almost $5K..
    so, why is the price of Nav still a ridiculous $2K? what is it in this that it should cost so much?
    How is Honda managing to sell for so much more, given competition selling for a lot less? Nissan Nav is upgrade is only $500
124»