Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• ltmarltmar Member Posts: 45
    You do not have to pay sticker for an '05 or '06. I just bought an '06 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD for $500 over invoice. That was around 7% off sticker plus a very generous trade-in appraisal. I had to wait 31 days for it but I think that is mainly because I wanted the 6sp Manual.

I think you should tell the dealer you are very disappointed with them for trying to insult your intelligence so they better get serious on price before you walk.
  • sevigny17sevigny17 Member Posts: 6
    Jack
    I have a 05 DC SB TRD Sport, and I absolutely love it! I did test drive one LB and although it's only a foot longer it seemed like more.

I don't think Toyota does any special orders only whats on the menu. When I was shopping I found a dealer about 1 hour away from my house who had the exact truck I wanted on order, they where getting it to use as a DEMO. They had just ordered it a week earlier, in all it took 6 weeks to get it. I paid $250 over invoice and got the dealer to throw in a bed mat.
  • rjb5039rjb5039 Member Posts: 3
    The Ridgeline is butt ugly. Add that to a reason not to buy.
  • swbroswbro Member Posts: 9
    Here's one for you to chew on. A local lube tech told me that my '05 Tacoma has the "wrong" power steering fluid in the pump. When I told him I hadn't touched it (the truck only has 7k on it), he said that Toyota has been making the mistake at the factory. According to his experience it is the case in more than half of the new Toyotas he has serviced! I don't think he was trying to sell be a service I didn't need because he told me to take it back to the dealer to fix the problem. Apparently, the fluid in the pump doesn't match the specs on the cap or manual.
    Anybody else heard anything about this? I haven't had any problems with the steering, but I know some of you guys have.
  • rhoymerhoyme Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the advice. The dealer came down to invoice on the vehicle, but then added that in his initial price to me, he was overly generous with his trade-in figure to me, and now is offering me $1000 less on my trade--so I walked!
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    I've owned a lot of trucks, big and small. Engine power has made a lot of leaps in the years. I'm curious how a Tacoma with a 4 cylinder and a 5 sp manual would handle towing up to their 3500 lb limit? I never tow much more than 2700 lbs and my trailer has brakes. My Dodge Hemi Ram is overkill, I can pull away from lights with a trailer faster than most mundane cars out there. The price is 9.5 mpg towing and 14.8 empty on highway trips. I drove 25,000 miles last year, so it adds up. I also am looking to replace it at least by the end of summer with a cheaper newer more efficient vehicle, since it's used mostly for work and never has passengers, so a reg cab 4x4 is a possibility. It would keep weight, cost, and wheelbase(important if you tow in tight city situations) down. I'm also looking for a more nimble and manueverable ride in general. Anyone out there tow much with the 4 cylinder?

I started wondering if it can handle the job, because with 180 lb ft of torque at just 3800 rpm, it's no slouch. Then there's the 3300 lb curb weight vs about 5000 on my Ram. The manual transmission should also be more efficient at using the available power. Japanese manual transmissions also strike me as very reliable.

Would it be correct to mathmatically correct the power for the weight and transmission advantages to come up with a rough equivilent of towing power vs. the big trucks?
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Member Posts: 62
    Good for you! Yeah, that's a typical tactic by dealers, they hose you on the trade-in and then claim you practically stole the new vehicle from them.

This is also the reason I'm skeptical of people saying they got a fantastic deal on a new truck. The only ones I pay attention to are the ones that didn't have a trade-in.
    I couldn't agree more about the Ridgeline looks. I know it has a bunch of neat features - enough to get truck of the year by Motor Trend (I believe), but it just doesn't have 'the look'. It's got 'chick truck' written all over it (or maybe clueless guy..). The Ridgeline reminds me of the Honda Del Sol 'sports' car - it was supposed to be Honda's response to the Miata. I think they sold 3 of the ugly things.

Of course, Honda finally figured it out with the S2000 roadster - although way beyond the Miata price point.

Besides, what does their commercial say about the guys that buy the thing?..only a moron would mess with a grizzly bear. ;)

Besides, Tacoma's are meteor proof..
  • msibillemsibille Member Posts: 275
    I had the 4 cyl in a 2004 Dbl Cab and it towed my 1500 lb boat like it was nothing. The much lighter single cab would likely make up the difference for you.

Now, having said that, the biggest hills I ever towed my boat on were overpasses on the interstate. Secondly, I used to tow the same boat with a '94 Suzuki Sidekick w/ 1.6litre 94HP 4cyl, so the Toy 4 cyl was a huge increase in hp (but also vehicle weight) for me. If you've got a lot of hills to do, maybe that would be an issue for you.
  • len12len12 Member Posts: 3
    4x4......You're in snow country in DC and would use the 4x4 seasonally at least. It's a great feature in snow and icy conditions.

LB......The LB is more versatile than SB. I got a port installed cargo divider. I then located it the distance of a plastic milk case from the back of the cab. Great access for small packages.

Toyota has a menu of options besides their packages.I ordered OPTIONS for that suited me which are worth commenting on, for your consideration: RUNNING BOARDS which have the following benefits: 1) mud and stone deflector to the rocker panels 2)easy climb for short legged passengers 3) door protector for supermarket cart dings and keeps other vehicle doors from striking your sides when parallel parked at Wal Mart. CARGO DIVIDER (SEE COMMENTS ABOVE). RUBBER MAT for the floor of the bed.
    TOW PACKAGE for both towing and to accomodate assorted OEM hitch accessories. For now, my hitch sports a nifty American flag emblem.

Good shopping. Enjoy.
  • bro45usbro45us Member Posts: 36
    I have a LB sport and I am glad I got the extra bed length as I am not an off roader, I live in snow country and thats why I want 4WD. As for the turning radius this thing will turn circles around the S10 xcab I had so it's not a problem. The only drawback I can see for me is I think the short bed looks better but I would much rather have the extra cargo, especially if I decide to put a tool box in the back.
  • mtnman2mtnman2 Member Posts: 12
    I too have a LB sport and couldn't be happier. The 6" bed that comes with a LB would be considered a SHORT bed in a full size truck. I have only had my truck since November and have already found numerous applications for which the SB would have hindered ability to haul. Furthermore, I think that if you have a doublecab truck, the SB looks somewhat unproportional to the length of the cab. One more thing...if you ever wanted to utilize a truck-bed expedition style tent (like the ones sold by Cabela's) for a camping trip, anything shorter than the LB would be tough to lay down in. Just some things to think about...
  • ba_ba_booeyba_ba_booey Member Posts: 5
    Hi-

I have recently noticed a squeaking noise (isn't it always a damn squeak!) that occurs periodically (but frequently) when I run the heat/AC fan in my Taco 05. When the fan is running on lower speeds you can hear the continuous, vibrating, squeak very faintly especially with the fan on low, radio off and when at low speeds. When you increase the fan speeds I suspect that only dogs could hear the noise. My wife actually picked it up months ago but I thought she was crazy until I heard it myself and had to give in to it, and that was not fun! 8*)

Anyone else have this issue? Almost sounds like lubrication is needed for the vent/AC/defrost fan. If that is the case, should I even both trying to tackle it myself?

Thanks.
    BBB

:confuse:
  • ffanffan Member Posts: 1
    Message #5462: Clutch Problems

I got a 4 banger with a 5 speed and the clutch peddle wobbles/squeeks...Dealer did the circus act w/me and said there all like that...even had me sit in new one and take it for a ride...UH.The Silver tongue devil kinda had me believing it....till I started to read all the Edmonds Posts.

The Forum is Mentioning "Plastic" parts, Your indicatin "Safety" Concerns...

What Happened?

Thanks
  • priscprisc Member Posts: 16
    Hi folks,

I recently send out an email to solicit quote for a Double Cab 4x4 SB Tocama. I got several response back. One particular dealer was about $100 to $150 cheaper than the others. Additionally, his truck had a Front skid plate. I spoke to the sales representative and he mentioned that this trucks been sitting on their lot since November so they have discounted is a little more than the other truck. He mentioned that if I wanted a "fresh" truck, it would probably cost another $100 to $200 more.

My question is, should I be concerned that this truck has been sitting around for 3 months?

Are there any recalls and/or updates that were made recently that a "fresh" truck would have that the 3-month old truck would not?

BTW, this truck has all the options I was looking for. It
    Indigo Blue, my second choice in color after Silver Streak.

Any and all comments are welcomed.

Thanks,
    Jack
  • whiggaplzwhiggaplz Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2005 double cab long bed that's getting a 3 inch lift soon and wondering how big of tires I can get on her after the lift. Some people got 305/70/16 and I would like to stick with 16 inch wheels. What type (spec for off set) of wheels do I need?? Would 305/70/16 fit on the stock wheels? Does anyone know the stock wheel size? I thinks it's 16x7.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    My guess would be that the truck has options on it that do not appeal to the people looking to buy a truck. Any recalls have to be installed prior to sale, no matter when it was manufactured. For one thing, the vehicle sales are pretty scarce from the middle of November until the end of January when tax checks start showing up. Maybe it just arrived at a bad time. It is also possible that the dealer has a tough time selling any trucks, and that is not the only one that has sat. Could be a bad dealer.
  • vincewood30vincewood30 Member Posts: 48
    Toyota had to replace the entire inside clutch assembly. There is a TSB out for the problem. Ever since they put the new 1 in I haven't heard a peep out of it. My dealer said the next time it makes noise they'll probably put me in a rental til they decide what they'd do with the truck.
  • jadamjrjadamjr Member Posts: 28
    Well, I finally had my disposition hearing against toyota regarding the paint problems. Anyone one else having problems with paint chips or paint flaking off should contact a lemon law lawyer. A day after my hearing Toyota is calling my attourney wanting to settle my case as soon as possible. My attourney made them a couple offers so we'll see how eveything goes.
  • bobcatspotsbobcatspots Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased an 06 Tacoma 4x4 and it leans to the drivers side. Is there anyway to correct this? It's off by 3/4 inch and the dealer says that's within specs.

Thanks
    I'm thinking about getting rid of my 05 with the 4 banger and moving up to the 6 cylinder. I'm not impressed with the fuel mileage from it. I'm trying to work a deal out with Longo Toyota over in Elmonte. Hopefully they can give me a deal like they did before. I only paid about $250 over factory invoice for my 05. I have 2 trailers for work that I have. 1 is a 8 X 12 enclosed trailer and the other is a 500 gallon pressure washing trailer. Even though I have an 05 E-150 for the business you never know about Fords. I'd like to set up the pick-up just as a back up though.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    It is against Forum rules to post phone numbers and email addresses in your posts. I you choose, you may make your email addrss visible (public) in your profile.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • 05tacoma3305tacoma33 Member Posts: 6
    do you know what the TSB # for this
  • snfsma2snfsma2 Member Posts: 8
    We are considering purchasing a 2006 Toyota Tacoma, Double cab V6 with SR5 package. We went to a dealership over the weekend and the salesman mentioned that he had a leftover 2005. We test drove it and it has everything we want, it's even in the color we want. However, I'm wondering what we're giving up by going for a 2005 instead of a 2006? Is there a summary of the changes anywhere? We also looked at a 2006 on the lot and I couldn't see much if anything that was different.
    I know we can get this vehicle for about $300 over invoice for a 2006 model, if we go for the 2005 what is reasonable to offer relative to the invoice price?
  • boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    The truck has been sitting there for at least 6 months. Either it's a package/color that no one wants or they made a trade with another dealer late in the year and are regretting it now. I would punch the stats of the 2005 in kbb.com and see what they would be getting for that truck private party and retail. They should be dying to get rid of a 2005. You should be able to make a reasonable offer. If it isn't anything more than $700 dollars under invoice I would walk.

Oh and there aren't any noticable changes that wouldn't be covered under warranty except the tire pressure monitoring system which, in my opinion, is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].
    I am reposting this because I originally posted via a reply to an unrelated item (what I dolt)...

Hi-

I have recently noticed a squeaking noise (isn't it always a damn squeak!) that occurs periodically (but frequently) when I run the heat/AC fan in my Taco 05. When the fan is running on lower speeds you can hear the continuous, vibrating, squeak very faintly especially with the fan on low, radio off and when at low speeds. When you increase the fan speeds I suspect that only dogs could hear the noise. My wife actually picked it up months ago but I thought she was crazy until I heard it myself and had to give in to it, and that was not fun! 8*)

Anyone else have this issue? Almost sounds like lubrication is needed for the vent/AC/defrost fan. If that is the case, should I even both trying to tackle it myself?

Thanks.
    BBB

:confuse:
    Hi all.

Wanted to poll anyone who has the Toyota seat covers (link title)

I have heard threw some other forums that they don't fit 'snugly' (if that is a word) or look clean.

Anyone have any good/bad info on them? They slippery? They look like spandex to me.

Any thoughts appreciated.

BBB :D
  • job4job4 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same nasty problem with my $28K 2005 Tacoma. Frustrated with the situation and to the point of trading-in this noisy piece of truck, I decided to look at the root of the problem, which you identified. The nasty noise definitely comes from the top area of the windshield. The windshield seal strip has a center indentation that when you reach about 75 MPH starts resonating that high-pitched Toyota abomination. Solution: Visit your nearest Lowes and go to the window screen repair section and get a package of screen spline, black, .160 diameter for $2.77. You have 25 feet of spline, plenty to share with other frustrated Tacoma owners. The spline fits perfectly into the groove. The only tool required is a small regular screwdriver to push the spline in. Happy days are here again!!!
  • job4job4 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same nasty problem with my $28K 2005 Tacoma. Frustrated with the situation and to the point of trading-in this noisy piece of truck, I decided to look at the root of the problem, which you identified. The nasty noise definitely comes from the top area of the windshield. The windshield seal strip has a center indentation that when you reach about 75 MPH starts resonating that high-pitched Toyota abomination. Solution: Visit your nearest Lowes and go to the window screen repair section and get a package of screen spline, black, .160 diameter for $2.77. You have 25 feet of spline, plenty to share with other frustrated Tacoma owners. The spline fits perfectly into the groove. The only tool required is a small regular screwdriver to push the spline in. Happy days are here again!!!
  • dizzle65dizzle65 Member Posts: 20
    Hi all,

I am car shopping. Any thoughts as to why insurance for a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab with the TRD Off Road package is so high? I mean, my father is an insurance agent for a major and well-respected insurance company (not Geico or Progressive) and I recently got a quote on 3 cars I am considering, based upon full coverage in the state of Michigan. Keep in mind that I am 26, have never had a ticket or even been pulled over; have never had an at fault accident; etc.

The results were as follows:
    2003 Range Rover 4.4 HSE $985/six months
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD off Road $835/six months
    2006 Chevy Tahoe Z71 $738/six months

I mean, I expect the Range Rover to be high, given its theft rate, cost of repair, and uber price tag. However, I see no reason why the Tacoma, with a higher NHSTA crash test rating (5 stars), a $20K lower price tag, a lower potential for overall injury given that it holds fewer people; and with a possibly lower theft rate would be so much higher?

My father tried to explain, but not to me satisfaction. I believe that there is some kind of "Big 3" Insurance conspiracy or push to drive traditionally "American" cars or something like that.

Can anyone help me?
    I pay about $500 every 6 months through State Farm for my 05 Prerunner. They said that I'm paying about an extra $35 every 6 months just because it's the Prerunner and not the regular 2WD truck. But I have everything else on the policy plus they give me a little break for having a Commercial Driver's License.
    Sorry I don't have the number for it. You can call Penske Toyota in Downey (562) 861-3300 and the service department should know.

As far as the safety portion of it goes I just gave it to them thick. I told them that what happens it a part on the clutch assembly fails and I'm driving down the road and unable to move the truck and someone hits me. You can laugh if you want but Toyota bought my story.
  • dizzle65dizzle65 Member Posts: 20
    Hmmm . . .

I still don't quite get it. Ironically, it so happens that the insurance company I am referring to is in fact State Farm. And I was figuring it for full coverage with a 0 deductible for non at-fault accidents (which they allow in MI) and a $250 deductible for at-fault accidents, which I know is the most comprehensive plan available and which I also had under my previous vehicle (1998 Bravada).

I guess I could imagine a Double Cab TRD 4x4 costing more than a PreRunner given the off road package and hihger price. That makes sense.

Yet, the IRG (Insurance Rating Group) on the Tacoma Double Cab TRD was like 27 and on the Tahoe Z71 it was like 21. What Gives??? I just can't believe how much it costs for a pick up truck.

hmmm. . .
    Thanks for the reply. The dealer accepted our offer today of $1k under invoice, or approx $4k off sticker. We pick it up on Saturday. :)
    Well pick ups have anyways been more to insure than cars but that has me questioning it also compared with the Z71 Tahoe. I went and test drove a PreRunner with the V6 and 6 Speed trans tonight. What a big difference between the 4 and 6. If they can get me a lower interest rate then I might do the trade with them. Still only $300 over invoice at Longo though. Truck stickers for $22,445 and they quoted me $20,700 on it.
    Good deal! Welcome to the club! :D
    Paint chipping easily has three aspects to it. First, the quality of the paint formulation with its percentage, if any, of lead content. The paint used by Toyota is prone to easy chipping for lack of any lead content. Second, the primer/paint perma-bond. Think of an easy to peel hard boiled egg vs. a difficult to peel egg. Third, the number of coats of pigmented paint plus clearcoat. The more layers, the more costly for Toyota
  • sevigny17sevigny17 Member Posts: 6
    Ever think of trying a different insurance company? I realize that you would want to stay loyal to your Dad but wouldn't he want to see you get the best deal?

I am 28 in NH, I had a couple of tickets 10 yrs ago and an at fault accident 5 yrs ago. I have $500 deductibles across the board and I am paying just under $800/yr, for an 05 DC SB TRD Sport. I have my insurance through Amica.

Give them a call see what they can do for you. I know people who have switched to Amica from all the major insurance companies (Geico, Progressive, All State, State Farm...), and every one of them got a better rate from Amica. They are not well known but they have been nothing but excellent for me!
    Too late I know, but hope the 05 doesn't have a ton of 'test drive' miles on it. Also, I know the tire pressure monitoring system is about the only published change between the 05 & 06 but all manufacturers do little problem fixes between the years that aren't included in the official changes. One thing I know of, but don't recall the details on, is a change to the leaf springs so they don't make some kind of noise. Of course, most of these little problems - should you experience them, can be fixed by the dealer during your warranty.
    I have the TRD seat covers - PT218-35052 ($152.95 @ toyotapartspeople.com), and I think they're very good, heavy duty and worth the price. I bought them to keep my slob hunting buddies from ruining my stock seats, and not expecting them to replicate the stock ones in fit - although they fit nicely in my opinion. The only possible downside is their lack of 'breathability' during the summer
    I bought covers from Wal Mart that were an escellent color and pattern match to the grey seats in my 2005 SR 5 4x4 Access Cab. $20. 2 seats and separate head rests per pkg.
    Thanks for the pointer about the leaf springs, we'll be sure to keep an eye (ear?) on that issue. The truck we're buying has 120 miles on it, so it's been test driven a few time, but not excessively, I don't think.
  • ush00zush00z Member Posts: 30
    Took my truck to the dealer and convinced them that the clanking noise is a problem. I showed them that the 06 has a rubber pad on the leaf spring to combat this problem. Now they finally found the TSB and agree to fix it, but the parts (rubber pads) are in back-order.

For those who are interested, the TSB number is SU002R-05.
    If your truck has this VIN number or lower you don't have to convince them of anything it is covered by the TSB and your warranty. No hassle. Especially if you go in knowing there is a TSB, that you are in the affected VIN range and what the fix is for it (little rubber pads). I had mine done in the middle of November, big improvement.

5TE**#2N#5Z144240

and / or

3TM**#2N#5M002881
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    My dealer replaced the springs, WITHOUT rubber pads.

The new springs have a slight curvature to the bottom leaf, and are the same part number as the old spring. According to my dealer, the pads were band-aids, applied to the original spring, until the new spring was available.

Hold out for the new spring, remember, they're the SAME P/N, which confused my dealer at first.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    I forgot to mention, the late 2005's and 2006's on my dealer's lot have the curved leaf, NOT the pads.

Only mid-model year 2005's have the pads. Early '05's have the straight leaf and no pad.
  • tacotechtacotech Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody know the biggest tire size I can put on a 2005 dbl. cab taco with a daystar 2.5 inch leveling kit and 16" wheels without them rubbing?
    Congrat's on your purchase! Yeah, 120 miles isn't a big deal. And I see there have been a couple of recent posts on the leaf spring problem.

I did research up the kazoo and, all things considered, the Tacoma is simply the best midsize truck made. Toyota has been making these things forever and got it right (yet again) with the new model.

In addition to having owned a couple of Toyota FJ40 LandCruisers, I also owned a 1982 4x4 Toyota pickup that was indestructible and have no reason to think this new one won't be just as rugged, not to mention MUCH more refined.
    285/75/16
  • bobcatspotsbobcatspots Member Posts: 3
    My 06 Tacoma leans to the drivers side by 3/4 inch and I suspect it is a weight distribution issue because the gas tank is on the drivers side. Do others have this same problem and, if so, is there anyway to correct it? I've brought it back to the dealer but they keep waffling saying it's within specs.