Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• len888len888 Posts: 112
    I have the 4-panel for my 6' bed which came UPS in 2 pkgs.
    1) PANEL WEIGHT:All 4 panels weigh 60pounds as per the UPS label for that carton. The other pkg is a long heavy duty mailer tube which weighs 15 pounds with two 6ft rails, gaskets and hardware. Each panel lifts easily but is not wimpy.
    2) SCRATCHING PROPENSITY: none. The panels are not smooth glossy, rather embossed wrinkle satin finish.
    3)FRAME SCRATCH PROPENSITY: not possible by enginering design.
    4)LOCK FREEZING: I had no ploblem this winter and the flexible rubber caps form a water tight seal over the recessed key locks.
    5) I don't have experience with a 5ft bed setup. No I don't have photos for posting only because I don't know how to attach them to this message board. No big deal to just contact Fold-A-Cover's Customer Service Group 1(800)322-0522 Ask for Ms.Stacey. She can also give you the name of your nearest distributor or dealer.
    6) OTHER: Individual replacement parts are available direct.
  • I have the same problem. 14000 k and both rear fender flairs are almost bare of paint, also nice size chips along the sills. That said, dealer did acknowledge a problem, and will repaint "once". Tried to blame it on driving on a gravel road, but actually was highway miles on a sanded road, hate to see what looks like after a few trips on a gravel road :. Also said that runninng boards would solve the problem. I'm going to fight for them to supply HAH.... Wish would have told me that when new as I waited 6 weeks for nerf bars, and they have cut down on the wear. It's obivious that their is a design problem judging by the length of the front mudflaps. I guess wait and see
  • nsxwesnsxwes Posts: 84
    I have taped mostly the seal to the door but have areas on the body side as well. It is extremely elusive and hard to pin down. One strange thing has really got me scratching my head is that when it is raining, the wind noise is completely gone. Must have something to do with the moisture affecting the door seals. Wes
  • eaglegeagleg Posts: 87
    I made rock guards for the stock oval tube steps on my 05 D/C L/B Crew Cab 4X4 and they saved the majority of the paint on the bottom of my truck.I too wish I had installed them from day one.Better late than never.Photos on my carspace.
  • asac1asac1 Posts: 30
    Hi

I was wondering if someone who has installed the fog lights in an '05 Tacoma can tell me which one of the three blanks on the dash to pull out for the fog light switch. I understand that the wire is already behind the blanks. Are there any instructions on the internet for installing these lights?

Thanks

asac1
  • bowen1bowen1 Posts: 12
    The factory switch location is on the far right.
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how the plugs come out of the dash? Should I stick a pen knife in the sides or bottom of the plug and are there tabs that may break off?
    I just thought to look at my owners manual. It shows the factory switch on the left side of the trio of plugs that are on the dash section of the panel that holds the tach, etc. I also have a three plugs below these.
    Remove the fuse access cover that is below the plugs and you can reach behind the cover with your finger and push them out. Real easy to do. Good luck!
    Sorry, my bad. You think that having factory fog lights on my truck I would know, but I messed up. btw the covers might be a little harder to get off because they are in the upper dash section. Since you need to run wires to the switch you may have to lower the lower dash to get to the upper section and the rear of the dash! Good luck
    Yesterday when I started my '05 V6 Access Cab there came a shrill high pitched screaching from behing the dashoard. I soon learned that I could almost kill the noise if I turned OFF the vent fan speed control and I could get the shrill screach to accelerate by rotating the speed control switch to HIGH SPEED. I made an appointment with a dealer to check it out later this week. When I got into the truck today there was no noise whatsoever. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • az comaaz coma Posts: 19
    Yep, only mine chirped at low speed and goes away when I increased the fan speed. I bumped the fan (located on the passenger side by foot rest) with my fist and the chirp went away. Until I can get to make noise continuously, I won't have the dealer look at it. :confuse:
  • malgreenmalgreen Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Tacoma double cab 4x2 TRD with auto transmission and have noticed late and hard shifting from 1st to 2nd as well as at other times (accelerating and decelerating). Also, about 10 seconds after stopping at a light, there's a slight kick down that feels like someone is gently nudging the vehicle from behind. I haven't brought it in to the dealer yet as I've only had it less than two months. Anyone happen to know what the RPMs should be during acceleration?
  • nsxwesnsxwes Posts: 84
    The slight kick down that feels like someone is gently nudging the vehicle from behind may be a result of having your vent settings in either of the two defrost positions. I believe that these two settings cause the air conditioner to turn on and off as required to dry the moisture in the cab, but I am not certain. If you do not have your vent settings in either of the two defrost positions, you are likely to find that you do not have this problem. I have had to get used to it. I have an 06 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD with the auto transmission. Wes
    Any noise is friction. I decided to ask the dealer to give me the exact cause for the fan chirping, even though it's gone away, for now. Could be a bearing or worse yet a failed hex nut holding the propeller to its shaft. Wouldn't want a fan failure away on a trip this summer. I have the platinum warranty. Thanks for sharing your 'fix'.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    I put a ScanGauge in the stock temp/compass location. Thought you might want to check it out.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

For more info check page 13 of my Car Domain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238
  • ronk44ronk44 Posts: 35
    That is really cool!
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    I was thinking today that I would like to have a device in my truck to tell me if lugging in 5th or reving in 4th would giver me better mileage. Along comes this post. Thanks PB. Just don't understand removing the compass and temp. That was a selling point for me about the truck package.
    The compass and temp was a selling point? The temp gauge is usually off by about 5 to 8 degrees anyway. I can always listen to the weather channel on XM radio if I want to hear the temp and weather forecast. And as for the compass, I'll soon be getting a double din navigation system that will have a satelite guided compass on the display. So I didn't mind getting rid of the stock temp/compass. I'd much rather have a cool place for the ScanGauge. Otherwise I'd have to find somewhere to mount the big clunky enclosure that the ScanGauge normaly comes in.
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Anyway, you should look into a ScanGauge. The info it provides is awesome. It will probably pay for itself after a while, by making you drive more conservatively when you look at the real-time MPG. Plus it will tell you "Problem Codes" in the computer. If the code is an error or something that's not important then you can use the ScanGauge to clear the Check Engine light. No need to pay the Stealership to do it. :)
  • I have a little over 2K on my 06 double cab TRD Sport and have noticed the exact same thing when stopped. The first time I felt the nudge, I looked in the rear view mirrror to ensure that no one had rear-ended me! I have also noticed the hard shifting while running (accelerating a decelerating). It has been inconsistent so I have not informed the dealer.
    Is your A/C or defroster on? Turn the A/C off and you'll see that it doesn't do it. Mine does the same thing. When the A/C engages I think the engine revs up a hair and it makes the truck surge forward a little bit. The brakes hold the truck from actually moving, but you can still feel it trying to move.
    The compass and temp was a selling point? The temp gauge is usually off by about 5 to 8 degrees anyway. I can always listen to the weather channel on XM radio if I want to hear the temp and weather forecast. And as for the compass, I'll soon be getting a double din navigation system that will have a satelite guided compass on the display. So I didn't mind getting rid of the stock temp/compass. I'd much rather have a cool place for the ScanGauge. Otherwise I'd have to find somewhere to mount the big clunky enclosure that the ScanGauge normaly comes in.

Anyway, you should look into a ScanGauge. The info it provides is awesome. It will probably pay for itself after a while, by making you drive more conservatively when you look at the real-time MPG. Plus it will tell you "Problem Codes" in the computer. If the code is an error or something that's not important then you can use the ScanGauge to clear the Check Engine light. No need to pay the Stealership to do it

As for the temp, I drove by the radio station today as they were saying the current temp was 47 degrees, and by God, my temp said 47 degrees. Around here the temp can be 10 degrees different in a mile or less, so I do rely on it for ice. My wife's van had a compass and I loved it, so yes I was looking for this stuff when I went shopping. As for the ScanGauge, I will have one within the next couple weeks. I think it will fit in the compartment in front of the shifter. If not, I will find a nice place to mount it. I think the fuel savings will pay for it in short order. Thanks for the tip. Never heard of this item before you mentioned it.
    Yeah, it will fit in the pocket in front of the Tacomas shifter. If you want to see some pics of where it can be installed in a Tacoma click those links that I posted on that page of my CarDomain. Read through that one big forum thread. I think pages 3 & 5 have pictures.

Oh, the ScanGauge will display the Engine Intake Air temp, so I can tell what the outside temperature is, at least until the engine gets warm and radiates heat into the intake. ;)
  • looking for a family utility vehicle and think we're going to go for the 2007 FJ cruiser.

We feel the Taco DC leaves a little interior room to be desired for the family. Love the Tundra DC but it is a whole lot of vehicle and we'd love to stick to economy of 6cyl powerplant.

FJ has runs the same 6 cyl engine as the taco. Interior capacity/family utility is greater, although i wish back seat windows would go down (but perhaps this feature is safer for out 15 mo. old (and No. 2 when we get around to him/her).

I need this board's insight re: i. fuel type, and ii. your satisfaction with the motor and it's towing capability. The FJ has no transmission cooling that i've read about although I only expect i would be hauling small trailer which would replace the Taco's bed.

Motor Trend indicates Toyota recommends premium fuel for. is Premium fuel really necessary?

What are people here running in their 6 cyl engines?

Any towing problems?
    Any additional thoughts would be appreciated?

Regards,
    damnedyankee

I've never used premium fuel in any car I've owned and frankly think it is a [non-permissible content removed] marketing gimmick employed by the oil companies.
    We feel the Taco DC leaves a little interior room to be desired for the family. Love the Tundra DC but it is a whole lot of vehicle and we'd love to stick to economy of 6cyl powerplant.

I carry 5 people in my Taco with no problem. Might be tight if a couple were in car seats. My kids are 11 to 18 and all are atleast 5'5". as for fuel economy, my Tundra with a 4.7 got pretty close to the same mileage as my V6 Tacoma.

Motor Trend indicates Toyota recommends premium fuel for. is Premium fuel really necessary?

What are people here running in their 6 cyl engines?

The only people reccommending premium are the non-owners. If someone says they need it, they have probably never even sat in one.

As for towing, I have not towed anything other than a few Hondas out of the mud and a tree off the beach, but I am guessing that the 6 speed would be sweet for towing with all the gears. Always found other vehicles (including automatics) were constantly going back and forth because one gear was too short and the next was too tall. Think finding a happy medium would be easy with this.
  • hueyhuey Posts: 13
    i recently had my truck service for the TSB rear leaf clanking noise and i was wondering if anyone had a picture of what the dealer installed. the only thing i see different is a bunch of grease between the leaves. isn't there suppose to be some sort of rubber mount? if so, where?

other than the clank, i put 26000 miles in a year and this truck is awesome! the dealer did replace both my rear bilstein shocks. he said it was leaking.

anyhow, if someone has a picture of the TSB rear leaf fix, i would greatly appreciate it.
    Just returned from a dealer who could not diagnose the cause for the vent fan screaching/chirping. At my insistence they lowered the fan and examined it. Still no diagnosis. They told me in order for them to replace it, that it is a Toyota Policy that they must actually hear the noise in person.and if I stopped into another dealer when it came about, they would not accept that other dealer's observations.

I was left with this message: "too many owners are reporting problems of others such as heard here on Edmunds as if like problems were imminent. Also, one must keep in mind that TSBs are VIN specific."
    For now, the noise went away as quickly as it came.
    Your Taco seen on your website is really sharp. I think that wide-whitewalls would ba a stand out. Anyway, thanks for posting the ScanGuage pics and sourcing info. How did you snake the wire to the Taco's computer?
    Wish my dealer service department was open on SUNDAY.
    I took down the drivers side visor, which will let the headliner drop down a little, then I took off the handle and trim on the drivers side A-pillar, then ran the cable behind it and down behind the rubber seal where the dash meets the door, and then right above the kick panel is where the ODB2 plug is. I only had about 2 extra inches of cable to spare. The cable is 8' long. It was perfect.