Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• geogeckogeogecko Posts: 225
    Fold-A-Cover Questions:

Is the footman's loop (the loop installed on the tailgate) necessary if you have a lock on your tailgate? I asked about it, and didn't get a straight answer. Basically, I'm wanting to know if it is used as a structural support of any kind, or if it's just for tailgate locking purposes.

I just don't want to drill holes in anything. I am not really fond of having to use adhesive to attach the accessory rails, but it appears that's the only choice I have, for a folding bed cover.
  • wetsu6768wetsu6768 Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me how to remove the interior door panal on a 2005 Tacoma Extended cab? The latch is loose and I think it would be easier to do it myself than go to the dealer.
  • pekosrobpekosrob Posts: 25
    anyone know a good, throaty exhaust system for the 05-06 tacomas? i got a 2005 double cab with short bed. i saw one company, i think it was JBA, but i don't know anything about them, or if it's for the short or long bed. let me know, thanks.
  • jrichiejrichie Posts: 5
    Good question about the spontaneous hauling; I asked that myself. What I want to know is, can you completely remove the fold-a-cover, or is that last foot-and-a-half just sitting out there, near the rear window? What do you do with that when you want to shove your refridgerator up against the back window? Maybe you'll have to pre-plan for that cover, too. Probably what sold me on the undercover was that when it's on, my tailgate is locked, too. Didn't need to spend $30 on the aftermarket tailgate lock. As for looks, got to admit the fold-a-cover is pretty nice. Tough choice.
    Yep, I wonder about that too. That is why I liked the Peragon idea, because it can be completely removed, so you could remove it, and lay it in the bed next to the frig, which is up against the window!

I'm going to try and sort through them again this weekend. With so many good choices, it's hard to eliminate them, and pick just one. The really nice thing about the Peragon that I like, is that if you needed to remove it for some reason, it would leave no trace that it's been installed, unlike some of the others. Not that that will be an issue, but what if something breaks, and they stop making it, and you have to install something else?
  • coldfootcoldfoot Posts: 49
    This is what I like about the Torza Top. It is soft vinyl but you can take it off and put in bed beside what you are hauling. Worked out great when I hauled a sofa.
  • jrichiejrichie Posts: 5
    One more quick thought on this: the Undercover has two locks, one on each rear corner. It's tough to access the bed in a hurry, like when stowing your kid's baseball gear in a driving rain so you don't trash out the cab. Not a deal killer for me, but an occasional inconvenience nonetheless.
  • slabanumslabanum Posts: 18
    I have a 05 DBL Cab Tacoma TRD and have the stock RT BF Goodrich. Manufacturer's tire pressure on the driver's door side says 29 psi-front 32 psi-back. It looks low.

Brought it to dealership for 15K maint. and noticed that they set the tire pressure on all four tires to 34 psi.

What then is the correct tire pressure. I read on some posts in this forum that somebody was setting it to 34 to get better gas mileage. I noticed that my braking distance increased with 34 psi. Please advise.

Thanks.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Posts: 194
    It's physics.

By increasing the psi, you are decreasing the amount of surface area that the tire touches the road. Logically, less tire that touches the road, less resistance, better gas mileage.

Like the Michelin commercial (I believe) used to say, "brakes don't stop your car, tires do." The less surface area, the less friction and rolling resistance.

So ask yourself what's more important? Improved gas mileage and handling or having to remember to start braking 5 feet earlier?

I run all my tires at 34 psi. The handling gets really sloppy when the tires are inflated below that. I get a ton of "highway wandering". The slight gas mileage increase is a bonus. I haven't noticed a difference in braking distance but I can't say I've really put it to the test either. Scientifically, your observations make sense.

Play with the pressure a little bit. Maybe a happy medium would work better for you.
    Thanks for responding. Braking distance then is the only drawback for setting it to a higer pressure rating other than the factory recommendation?

Somebody also posted that it is bad to set it to something other than the factory suggestion because the wheels themselves are rated to what toyota has stated on the driver's door jamb. Is there truth to this?
    Well the other drawback is a stiffer ride.

I don't know about them being rated because of the wheels. There are 3 different types of wheels for this truck and all of the psi recommendations are the same.

Car and truck designers work with tire manufacturers during the design and testing phase of a vehicle. Together they come to a conclusion as to what should be the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle for maximum safety and intended performance.

I don't think it's necessarily "bad" to have slightly higher air pressure in your tires. I think the recommendations are normally on the cautious side. They cater more toward comfort than toward performance.
  • Tire pressure also factors into how the tires wear. Too much tire pressure will cause the tread towards the middle of the tire to wear more and vise versa. When inflated at the recommended pressure, the entire tread is touching the road causing the tire to wear evenly.
    Yeah but your talking about over inflating the tire manufacturer's rating.

Over inflating the car/truck rating doesn't even come close to rounding the tires.

My tires, even at 34 psi, still bulge at the bottom indicating that the entire tread of the tire is still in contact with the road.
  • len888len888 Posts: 112
    The footman's loop on the Fold-A-Cover's last panel which rests shut on top of the tail gate has nothing to do with locking in that position. However, when you accordion fold the cover back toward the cab that footman's tab as you put serves as a point to grab and lift the last panel AND primarily to undue the loop and secure the 'bundle of panels, which are 'stacked' in the open position. I'm not the world's best description artist for these sort of time and motion actions. I hope you understand my descriptive function of the 'footman's loop'.
  • len888len888 Posts: 112
    I too have the Fold-A-Cover for my long bed Access Cab. The cover is not really intended to remove completely. I have had no issues with 4x8 sheets of plywood or carrying my riding mower to the shop and other payloads. When hauling these sort of long loads, I put a 4x4x3/4 sheet of plywood over the lowered tailgate to keep load bearing distributed into the truck bed. A refrigerator strapped to a appliance dolly and laid down into the truck bed would be no problem. Use cinching straps to secure the load to the bed. It's a case by case decision if and when to tie a red kerchief or flag to the back of the truck load. Chock the wheels of the tractor your hauling, or the appliance dolly.
    I agree with you on this this, at 34 it looks like it is still low. This is the post that I was refering to and it was the Rim rating at post #5536

Thanks for the responses.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    There are alot of opinions about tire pressure. I had the same problem with the dealer over inflating my tires on my Tundra. I could tell within the first block. It rode like a lumber wagon. I worked in the tire industry for about 20 years, and I can tell you that the benefits of modifying the tire pressure do not make up for the damage you will cause (extra wear on the shocks, harder jolt to truck overall). Tires will wear more on the inside if they are over inflated. They will still bulge at the bottom, but there is less pressure on the outside, especially at speed. Braking will be decreased with more pressure (may not be a big difference). Most rims are rated atleast 44PSI, so that is likely not an issue. Should be posted on the rim (usually inside) if it is something you need to know. Probably the biggest mistake I saw was people looking at the sidewall to determine pressure. Of course if the tire says 35, but your vehicle reccomends 40, you have to go with 35. Of course I saw people come in with 70 in one tire and 18 in another too. Scary. My professional opinion is that the manufacture has determined the best pressure to compliment the weight of the vehicle, suspension setup and projected vehicle use. The Suzuki Samari of years ago had a recommended pressure of 18 if my memory serves me right. It was light (very light), didn't have room for alot of people or cargo, and didn't have the ponies to pull much. My buddy had one that he ran 32 in. When he lowered the pressure it made it a different truck. The Tacoma is probably set up for 2 adults and a couple kids in the back with an occasional load of groceries in the back, cause that is what most are used for. If you plan to tow regularly or haul extra cargo daily, you may want to adjust accordingly. One final note. At about 40K, my Tundra tires were almost perfect wear wise running the 26 and 29 the manufacture recommended.
  • taco06trdtaco06trd Posts: 2
    I've got a 2006 Tacoma DC TRD/Off-Road. It has approx. 11,000 miles on it (none off-road). I used a tape measure from the center of the wheel straight up to the fender. In front the left side is 3/4" lower: L/20", R/20-3/4". In back the left side is 1/2" lower: L/22", R/22-1/2". Do you think this is a torsion bar adjustment issue? Does anyone know how to adjust the torsion bar on a 2006 Tacoma?
  • taco06trdtaco06trd Posts: 2
    Have you taken your truck in yet regarding the lean issue? I've got an '06 Taco, dbl-cab, short bed and the front left is 3/4" lower while the rear left is 1/2" lower. Let me know what the dealer says... Thanks.
  • nytaco05nytaco05 Posts: 13
    Im new to this site, but not new to the TOYOTA Family. Well I have a 2005 taco DBL CAB LB SR5, and I wanted to add some extra power. I already added a Borla CatBack exhaust system, which increase my gas mileage from 300 miles on a full tank to 314-320 miles per tank as well gave me some extra HP. I'm not sure how many Horses, but I CAN feel the difference. I just ordered a K&N 77 series cold air intake, it was reviewed to add an extra 10-12hp on 05-06 tacomas. I should receive by weds this week :). I was thinking of making somemore upgrades, but I am having a hard time finding stores with anything that I need. JBA makes headers, but I'm not too sure about their products. Is there anything else available for the 05+ tacos? Am I looking in the wrong places?
    The loop (footman's) is the part that is screwed into the tailgate, not the part attached to the last panel of the Fold-A-Cover.

I think the tab that goes into the footman's loop is fine, I'm not concerned about that, it's just I don't really want to drill holes in the tailgate, and add that loop there.

I guess it's not a big deal, and I'd probably get over it, but, it's just another place for rust to build up, and also adds a place for something to get caught on when the tailgate is down.
  • Do you plan on racing this truck?? Instead on doing all the upgrades to it why not just drop in 1 of those new 5.7L V8 engines that are coming out in the 07 Tundras. Then you'll have the fastest Tacoma of anyone out there. You used to be able to put a V8 in the Ranger so why not the Tacoma??? Just a thought.....
  • nytaco05nytaco05 Posts: 13
    sounds like a good idea, but i wasn't trying to engine swap. A V8 would drain my tank out alot quicker, and long trips would require alot more pit stops. I want more power, and my method to get to it is just perfomance upgrades. I hope they come out with some new stuff for the 05+ Tacos.

Has anyone tried putting in a set of JBA Headers in their 05+ tacos? How many horses would they beef up?
    Not much. A member on toyotanation dynoed his truck after removing the second cats, installing new headers and a high flow exhaust. He gained 10 HP.

You want real power? Look into the URD supercharger (urdusa.com). Maybe someday TRD will get off there [non-permissible content removed] but until then the only real option is URD. The rest are high priced mods with minisicule return.
  • kendran4kendran4 Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem....New 06 access cab. Drove skiing twice this winter paved road all the way with some gravel for the ice. Now have significant paint chips in front of rear flared fenders...Terrible design!!! Since I can't afford to repaint the dang thing every time I drive it on a little gravel I need to find some way to prevent further damage, or sell the truck...Is there some clear protective tough product that could be "glued" to that small section? Running boards are also an option, but my opinion is they are not that attractive on these trucks. Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Posts: 62
    No, I haven't taken my truck to the dealer about the leaning problem yet. I will report what they say when I do.
    I fully expect it to be a hassle as I'm sure they will tell me some BS about it being 'within specifications', but I hope not.

I used to have a BMW that had a problem with both front power seats sliding forward about an inch under heavy breaking, with a loud 'clunk' when they stopped. The service manager at BMW gave me the 'within specifications' excuse. Uh, right..
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Posts: 62
    Sorry for the brain-fade, make that 'under heavy braking'...
  • raswankraswank Posts: 56
    I am curious as to why you only get 300 miles to the tank. I have a 2005 Tacoma L/B 4 door v-6 4x4 TRD Sport and get almost 380 to the tank. So I would think apparently your upgrades are doing nothing for you. I drive 70 mph daily to and from work. And once got just about 400 miles. I replaced the 17 inch wheels with 265/65 R17 with the 16 inch wheels that come on the TRD off-road and added BF Goodrich 265/75 R 16 tires that are very heavy and aggressive. Check your truck or recalculate your mileage something seems wrong
  • Do you know if it's a good idea to fill your tires up slightly under the recommended PSI, or right at the recommended PSI? I was wondering if it might have better grip if it was slightly under.
  • raswankraswank Posts: 56
    Well it took about a year for the squeak to appear but now it is here. Can anyone tell me the technical service bulletin number, and how I go about addressing it with the dealer? Thanks for any time that is given.