Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    Hey stnick - I've been trying to find out about the Auto LSD you wrote about. On the 2WD Access Cab I'm thinking about, Toyota offers this package called VSC + TRAC. It's the Vehicle Skid Control, with Traction Assist. They work by selectively applying the brakes. I'd love to get this option - might be well worth the $800 they want. You had mentioned that there was a switch for the Auto LSD. I like the idea of being able to defeat anything that might prevent it from driving - like when an ABS sensor goes out or something. So I am very interested in your comment. Where did you find out about that switch? Is it in the manual? Any description on what it does, or doesn't do? Thanks in advance.
  • thanks for the info on the timing chains/belts. sort of surprised they went to chains. service departments make a fortune replacing belts.
  • how do you get the jbl stereo? i can't find it when building one at toyota's web site. does it play mp3?
  • In the Pacific NW, Option Combinations C, D, and E have it included. Alone it is Option EJ.

EJ- JBL AM/FM/CD/6 DISC CHANGER, AMPLIFIER

MP3? I don't know. I'm still working with 8-tracks. (Just kidding).
  • stnickstnick Posts: 177
    This info is right out of the my owners manual. It says "The auto lsd system aids traction by using the traction control system to control engine performance and braking when one of the rear wheels begins to spin". " To activate system, push the AUTO LSD switch with the vehicle stopped. The AUTO LSD is avtivated under the following conditions. 1.Driving mode is set to 2WD. 2.Driving at a speed under 62MPH. To cancel, push AUTO LSD switch. Also switch will reset to off upon engin restart." This system is as mentioned here before,is not a mechanical LSD, but a funtion of TV and VSC systems. Hope this helps you. Nick.
  • I didn't order my Taco, so the truck on my dealer's lot had the option already. i am pretty sure its a stand-alone option, though. Either way, to my ears, the JBL sound system sounds good.

Unfortunately, Toyota deprived us of MP3 capabilities naively to any of the Taco's audio systems. I have been researching a PIE adapter that plugs into a 12-pin port on the back of the head unit that allows for an auxiliary input - one that can be used with a satellite radio or MP3 player.
  • jdoejdoe Posts: 3
    Is there a dipstick for checking the ATF? Could not locate one under the hood or in the manual.
    stnick - Yes. Thanks for the post. I am shopping for 2WD Access Cab, manual trans, and have yet to see one. Your post gives me hope.

It does sound like the manual implies having 4WD, and AUTO LSD gets used in 2WD mode. Now I wonder if they even offer this option on a 2WD model. Does the Manual offer any clues to this?
  • No. It is a sealed unit.
  • rupnokrupnok Posts: 6
    I have a '05 V6 4x4 TRD off-road, access cab on order and know that I am going to want to trade out the P265/70R16's for some larger tires. Does anybody know what size the stock truck (without a lift) will accomodate? I am thinking of getting some 32/1150's. Also, does anybody know if tire stores will deal in this type of trade up? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Has any one ever bought any thing from toyotapartsstore.com? They have a good selection of accessories at good prices. Alot better than my toyota dealer is offering. I'm looking to buy some tube steps. Does any one have the oval silver plated tube steps if so how do you like them and what did you pay for them. Are they hard to install? Thanks
  • volleyvolley Posts: 298
    I could be wrong but I think 265/70/16 is already very close to a 32" tire, so I guess you would go with 33s if you want something noticably bigger.
  • geogeckogeogecko Posts: 225
    Actually, the stock tires, on both the Sport and Off-Road packages, end up being closer to 30.5's. Not sure what the biggest you could go though, without rubbing. It would be nice if you could at least put 32's on it.
  • Only the TRD Sport Package has a real mechanical limited-slip rear differential. You can't get the traction control option (which includes electronic "LSD") with the Sport package. I tried, but the mechanical LSD conflicts with the electronically-induced LSD and other similar controls (VSC-TRAC-HAC-DAC). Here's an excerpt from Toyota Offroad.com.

"The VSC and A-TRAC systems include Automatic Limited-slip Differential (A-LSD), which uses brake intervention in place of a mechanical-type LSD unit to help reduce tire slippage at the rear wheels (the TRD Off-Road Package uses a locking rear differential, and the TRD Sport Package is equipped with a mechanical limited-slip rear differential)."

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/2005_Tacoma/2005_Tac- - oma.htm
    Your're absolutely right. A 265/75/16 would be closer to 32 (well 31.6 really) but the 70/16 is about 30.5
  • Hi all,

I am considering a 2WD Access Cab Prerunner SR5 4 cyclinder. Unfortunately, this means they do not paint the overfenders and instead they leave them unpainted black plastic. Anybody seen this in an actual truck? Wondering if it looks OK or not...
    Yes, I've seen a few of them. Looks cool in White and Impulse Red - bad in Silver Mica or Gold (Desert Sand Mica). Dark Blue (Indigo Ink) might be OK - haven't seen one of those yet, in any form.

I'm shopping for a similar truck, but w/o the lift; I like the 4" lower ride height and better ride/handling. I've seen those in the first four colors listed above. White's my favorite, then Impulse Red (the darker of the two reds offered). Silver hides dirt well, but the truck seems bland as heck in this one. And the Desert (Gold) - can't stand it. Reminds me too much of Rental Car Gold. Completely subjective, of course. Anyone else want to share opinions? Anyone seen the Dark Blue (Indigo Ink Pearl) in anything yet?
  • carfuncarfun Posts: 6
    I was not impressed with the factory radio at all. I'm a bit of an audiofile but would have expected factory stereo to at least be as good as my 2000 Ranger stereo (which it was not). I'll be opting for the JBL even though I can't find on to listen to either.
  • I saw the indigo blue in the tacoma catalogue. Looks great. A touch too dark in my opinion, but still good.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    I've seen indigo, but speedway blue is it for me. You must see this color in person to appreciate.
    I've seen it on regular cab but not the access. It looked cool IMO. I thought it looked better on the lighter colors like white, silver, gold, and the speedway blue. With all the other black accents that come on that trim level I think it will look good in any color though.
    The factory system isn't the best, but comparing it to the Ranger stock system is no comparison at all. I've had two Rangers and just came from an 03 and even the shop that installed my aftermarket setup said the Ranger has one of the better stock systems/speakers and I agree 100%
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    WAX! Once you get wax on the black plastic overfenders it is nearly impossible to keep the fenders black. There are products that "appear" to remove the wax, however, it always returns.
  • 88toylc88toylc Posts: 53
    Regarding the problem with wax, have you tried Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner? When I first waxed my new Tacoma I got wax on the bedliner and on the mud flaps. I couldn't get it off. Subsequently, I was trying out the Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner and I was pleasantly surprised to find the wax residue disappear. I haven't seen any sign of the wax since and it has been about a month since I applied the Meguiar's. Perhaps it would work on the overfenders.

Good luck.
  • geogeckogeogecko Posts: 225
    Has anyone gotten the HomeLink/Night Vision mirror option? I ordered this option, and was wondering how many HomeLink buttons there are? My wife has 3 on her Acura, and was wondering if it was the same.

Also, on the 4x4 TRD versions, is the 4x4 engagement done automatically, or must you engage the wheel hubs? I know that my dad's '98 you had to get out and turn the wheel hubs, as well as, shift the transfer case to 4x4.
    Wax is a problem on this type of plastic - it gets into the grain of the material. I've had good luck using a stiff toothbrush, and orange/citrus cleaner. But even still, it will fade over time - at least my old Mazda B-2200 sure did. Took a few years, though.

I've gotta tell you that I saw an Access Cab, with Convenience Package on it - had the black bumpers. Sitting right there, new, on the lot, the bumper had a scratch on the front/top edge, about 4 inches long. Looked to be impossible to remove as well. Any ideas about this? Other than to get the SR5 Package with painted bumpers?
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    Never mind the wax problem,the sun will slowly fade those balck flares in the tune of about 2-3 years and will look like crap.I had mine replaced under warranty at 2 years old and now have repeated the same old thing 2 years later.I have never used any product on them besides normal car wash soap and never have got any wax on them either.I now use a trim shine on them to make them look decent after cleaning the truck.
  • nickt1nickt1 Posts: 32
    303 Aerospace Protectant will keep the plastic and rubber trim looking like new forever. It's hard to find in stores, though--do a google search for it.
  • srandytsrandyt Posts: 35
    While shearhing for potential winch mounts for my soon to arrive 05, I tripped across this site:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =20041103

It seems that Toyota and Off-Road Adventures mag. have teamed up to build a special truck for Vanderbilt to take on a Mayan archeological expedition. You gotta check this out. More rack system goodies than you can ever dream of, including a metal "basket" to put stuff on when the bed is full of wood or other big stuff. When are we going to get a chance to buy some of this stuff?
  • srandytsrandyt Posts: 35
    From what I can put together, it is a dandy rack, and a breeze to install. You just pull up the rubber filler on the roof, and the mount nuts are already there. No drilling.