Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Anyone got a 2005 Tacoma with the VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) and TRAC (Traction Control) with the automatic LSD (Limited Slip Differential)? I have been looking for 6 weeks now, and haven't seen one at a dealer yet. The Tacoma brochure implies you can get this option (code VD) on a 2WD 2.7L 5-speed manual trans Access Cab - that's the one I want to buy. Any feedback, anyone? Even if you don't have this option, but you've just bought a 2WD Tacoma with the 4-cyl. manual trans powertrain, could someone tell us what the Owner's Manual says about it? Like, is it effective at all speeds? All gears? Forward and Reverse? Is there a switch to defeat the TRAC, or the VSC, or both? Thanks in advance.
  • I'm not sure how hot they are. I've seen the same ones sitting here locally for awhile, so there not flying off the lots, and dealers are discounting presently. It's very easy to get initial offers of 1,200 off MSRP here in the west. If I wanted a prius I would expect to pay full MSRP, but not on the new Tacomas. It's just a different market.

I got the 5% figure from several sources that say 3-5% profit over invoice is fair. I don't want to be robbed, but I don't want to rob anybody either. I just want a fair deal.
  • There may be a conflict with the Limited Slip Differential. I can't get the VSC+TRAC+HAC+DAC options with the TRD Sport Package which has the Limited Slip Differential. I did drive a Tacoma with the TRD Off-Road Package which had the locking rear differential. There was a button on the dash to engage the VSC control.

I called the regional manager in Portland, OR to verify that it was/was not available in my region. He was busy, but the receptionist tried to get that information for me. She called the office expert and told me that the VSC is not available with the Limited Slip Differential.
  • Yeah, I got a similar story form the So Cal dealer about the TRD and VSC. Not compatible. The button on the TRD controls the Locking Differential. That's the way to go for the heavy off-roader. And the VSC would go nuts when the tail slides out under off-roading conditions, so Toyota's stance makes sense. I still wonder about the 2WD VSC + TRAC. I've read in the Highlander forum that the TRAC system can get fooled, and shut down the throttle. I hope it does come with a defeat switch - the VW's with their ESP and EDL do, but the Highlander doesn't. I'm thinking that it's be better to have no electronics at all, vs. malfunctioning ones (even occasionally). Anyone have any thought on this?
  • Here's the spiel at toyotaoffroad, but the information does not ring true. I suspect they are still sorting out the facts given the tight turn-around time for this design.

"Tacoma for 2005 offers some of the most sophisticated dynamic control technology in the Toyota inventory and in the compact pickup truck category. The optional VSC and TRAC (Traction Control) systems give Tacoma models traction on or off-road by helping to keep the vehicle going on its intended course. The system detects front-wheel slide and rear-wheel slide during cornering and attempts to control either condition with throttle intervention and/or by braking individual wheels."

"The VSC and A-TRAC systems include Automatic Limited-slip Differential (A-LSD), which uses brake intervention in place of a mechanical-type LSD unit to help reduce tire slippage at the rear wheels (the TRD Off-Road Package uses a locking rear differential, and the TRD Sport Package is equipped with a mechanical limited-slip rear differential)."

"On automatic transmission models, the VSC and TRAC option also includes Hill-start Assist Control (HAC). When the option is ordered along with the TRD Off-Road Package on 4x4 V6 automatic models, it also includes the Downhill Assist Control (DAC) system."

"By independently controlling the brakes at each of the wheels as needed, the HAC system helps to prevent the vehicle from rolling backward or slipping sideways during transition from a stopped position to climbing an upgrade."

"The DAC system uses engine braking to regulate downhill speed and independently control the brakes at each of the four wheels to improve directional stability. The feature also works in reverse and is automatically de-activated if the driver depresses the brake or accelerator pedals, presses the DAC button, or shifts into neutral."

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/2005_Tacoma/2005_Tac- - oma.htm
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    would it be against the forum rules to say that I find this person's comments offensive and bigotted?
  • What exactly did you find offensive? I think he was just giving his experience. I am assuming you must be a car salesman, but you must realize this this individual's opinion probably represents what a lot of people experience when they go to buy a car. You don't normally hear people talk about how great of a buying experience they have. Instead, you hear about how they got tricked, they had to fight for a reasonable price, etc. The best experience I have had buying a car was agreeing to invoice pricing over the internet and just using the car salesman to fill out the paper work. I encourage you to read previous post on this board and every other board regarding buying experiences.
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    I dunno, I'm mostly with dreasdad here... except I don't offend easily. I mean, in an election year? Come on...

But a certain way of shopping encourages certain sales tactics, and vice versa. To assume that anyone who is critical of bigandy's approach is a car salesman is kind of silly.

-Mathias
  • I for one would be glad to hear what you found biggoted and offensive. These are pretty strong words. The "washing my hands" comment was obviously hyperbole used to make a point about the cut-throat nature of the car business.

There are businesses that are not run as zero-sum games, but rather in a way that both buyer and seller and seller can work toward mutual benefit. The car business is unfortunately not one of them.

So maybe you could flesh out what's "biggoted and offensive" about what I wrote.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    You can find a topic about "dealer tricks" over on the Smart Shopper board. No need to get into that here.

====================

After a bit of a software snafu last week, we'll try to get a harder count on how many of you are coming to the Philadelphia Auto Show on Feb 5th and 6th (that's the first weekend of the show) so we can figure out how many goodies we might need! So stop in at one of the chats this week and let us know!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• I'm excited about buying a '05 Tacoma, Double Cab, Short Bed, TRD Sport Package #2. However, I need a cover for the bed. When we(wife, and two(2) daughters voyage to the beach, we will need something to keep our "stuff" dry. Guess we could just use a plastic sheet, or a luggage bag..., but I like the look(esp. on the Exp. Sport Trac). Anyone seen anything for the '05 Tacoma?
  • See Messages #573 and #575 for a suggestion.
  • I have a 2005 4x4 one month old. Noticed that the glovebox has a discoloration on the top left. It's very easy to see from the drivers side. Took it back and had it replaced and when I went to my truck I didn't think they had done anything. New one is the same. So I checked another one on the lot and it's the same way. Anyone else notice it? Waiting for a response from customer service.
  • geogeckogeogecko Posts: 225
    Well, really, invoice pricing is inflated too. If you ever to go the dealership, and get a copy of the invoice, you can see the bogus fees that are charged. On a 4x4 DC TRD Sport #2, with a few options, MSRP is $29900. Looking at the invoice, there is over $700 in "hold-back", which they charge you as a fee, but when they sell the car, they get this back from the manufacturer (i.e., double collecting), and about a $300 advertising fee, which should be paid by Toyota, not the customer. So, basically, $1000 of the "dealer invoice" is bogus fees. I'm not saying you can get these dropped, especially on a truck that is this popular. My offer was $600 over invoice, or about $28000.

So, a fair offer of 5% profit to the dealer would be somewhere around $27000 or so.

It's funny, but if they won't take the advertising fee off, just tell them in order for them to plaster their dealership name all over your truck you've just bought, that you are going to charge them $600 in advertising. I always tell them to leave that crap off my cars.
  • sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    you are not being "doublecharged" for holdback. The manufacturer or bank where the car is floorplanned finances the holdback amount and refunds the money when the vehicle is cleared from the dealer's inventory.
  • I also have discoloration on the glovebox on my 2005 Tacoma 4x4 (double cab), which I've had for two months. I have no way of knowing if the discoloration is in exactly the same spot as yours, but this is sounding kind of spooky.
  • Today I test drove the 6 speed Access PreRunner. I did not like the feel of the 6 speed. I was very uncomfortable. It felt vague. I then drove the 4 cylinder 5 speed Access Cab. Maybe it was the smaller truck but I felt more comfortable and I like the feel of the 5 speed. But it was not a PreRunner. The Salesman said 4 cylinder PreRunner's are not available and are under powered. Has anyone Test Drove the 4 cylinder PreRunner? Thank You
  • How about complaining about it and look at some other trucks on the lot. If they don't hear anything they can't fix the problem. I called the 800 number after they replaced mine. I'll post as I find out anything.

Terry
  • I agree 100% with your post geogecko. If they want us to advertise for them by puting stickers and license plate frames on the vehicles we are buying then we shouldn't be paying an advertising fee. THEY SHOULD BE PAYING US!!

I am from Southern California and dealers there never put stickers on the vehicles. I had never seen that practice until I moved to North Carolina. I always take the license plate frame off. I plan to tell the dealer to take the sticker off unless they want to give me a discount for advertising for them. Then I will take the sticker off myself with a hairdryer when I get home!
  • bobs3bobs3 Posts: 2
    I've been looking to test drive the 6 speed 6 cyl Access PreRunner here in Mass. So far there don't appear to be any in state. In what state did you do your test drive ?

According to everything that I've read here on Edmunds and at Totota.com there is a 4 cyl 5 speed PreRunner available.

Hope we both find the truck we are looking for.