Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    So what you are saying is that since you went to discs on the front, you have not had problems, so there was no reason to add discs on the back? Then why spend more money to get them? It's a reason to dog the competition. We have it, but you don't. Just like the trucks with a rear locker as standard equipment. They know it will likely never be used, but they blew the money to get it, so you gotta make yourself feel better that you do have it.
    I never said that drums were better on the front of vehicles. I said they were more than adequate on the rear because they can lock up easily. The only time you will need more braking in the rear is if you have a heavy load, where I also said if you need more braking, get something with rear discs.
    As for the big rig comment, you mentioned some vehicle that abuses brakes, and I personnaly don't think you will find a vehicle that puts more miles with more weight than big rigs. I think discs would be good for them, but I have not seen anyone spend the money to design a disc system for them, so obviously the industry thinks they too are adequate or not worth the extra money to have.
    Having done several thousand brake jobs I think I might be able to consider myself informed on the brake subject. My opinion about having disc vs drum on the back is simply an opinion, but it is based on experience.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    All I know is that the new Tacomas stop faster than any medium or full size truck on the market. So I don't have a problem with the stock brakes. Check the stats for yourself.
  • madman6madman6 Posts: 2
    When do Toyota Tacoma 2007s come out? Are any major changes scheduled from the 2006?
    When they do come out, do the 2006s drop in price a few grand? How does that all work?

I'm looking to buy a crew cab 4x4 auto Taco this year.
  • len888len888 Posts: 112
    Cabela's had my WeatherTech floor liners (mats) shpped from the factory. I ordered a set for the front and a one piece seamless for the back of my '05 Access Cab. The fronts arrived in one week and after a two week wait I called Cabela's who followed up the delivery from the mfgr's shipping dock to and thru the UPS delivery system.
    According to the manufacturer there were to be two packages banded together, fronts and rear respectively. Preliminary investigation alleges somewhere along the line the banding was removed and the rear mat got ripped off. The good news is that Cabela's called me with a manufacturers' promise to ship in 3 days. Maybe I'll report a happy ending later this week. The moral of the story, Cabela's is reputable and uses its leverage when needed.
  • landscaprlandscapr Posts: 8
    I'm glad you and your dog are OK!

Sorry about your truck, but it did what it was supposed to do. Thanks for letting us know how well built the Tacomas really are.
  • I have a '06 Prerunner with the V6 and 6 Speed manual in it. I noticed the other day while it's idling it sounds like 1 of the valves is tapping on it. The truck only has 2,700 miles on it. Anyone else experience this or knows what it could be?? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer on Wednesday.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    Please use the search for the word "Tick". This has been discussed a thousand times. It's normal.
  • spicey33spicey33 Posts: 6
    I took it to the dealer to get checked out and as you suggested the problem was with the wheel being out of balance.
  • len888len888 Posts: 112
    Glad to hear rebalancing fixed the problem. Did the dealer put balance weights on both sides of the wheel? Or or on the outside only?
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Posts: 62
    I think we've pretty much exhausted the disc vs drum discussion. And, I even agree that drums are 'adequate' on the rear, they're just not the best alternative these days.

I also don't know of any truck with a standard rear-locker (maybe as part of a package however), but mine has already saved me a lot of work (or walk) twice.

Now then, I just wish that Toyota would have used the money they saved on the drum brakes to figure out a way to NOT have my DC 4x4 one full inch lower on the left side than the right! I know someone complained of this earlier but has anyone actually gotten Toyota to fess-up it's a problem and fix it?
  • rb01rb01 Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 DC SB, less than 1000 miles. Been to the dealer twice for balancing but it did not fix the problem.
    What is the deal with the leaning tower of Toyota? Is it in the front, rear, both, always the same side for all complaints? I would like to see one. It must be noticeable or no one would be complaining. I have never seen one driving down the road leaning. I know it is very noticeable on S10s. If it is the rear, I would measure somewhere in identical places on both sides to verify it is indeed sagging (don't used the bumper, it may be installed incorrectly and causing the lean look). Most manufactures recommend measuring to the lower body panel just in front of the rear tire and just behind the front tire. Take pictures of the measurements and go to the dealer. Tell him you want it fixed or you want your money back. If they see you are prepared and have researched the problem, they will give you satisfaction.
    Regarding the leaning: I don't know if it happens on all models, or maybe just mine - a DC 4x4 shortbed. It is apparent when viewed from the rear of the truck, with the left side being lower than the right. With my truck it's almost an inch difference (7/8" to be exact). I read an earlier Edmund's post where some guy also brought it up. It may not sound like much, but it is very noticeable, and the kind of thing Toyota should have figured out.

Several people were complaining about it on another forum, with one of them attributing it to heavy items like the fuel tank and battery being on the drivers side (if so, still not acceptable). I plan on measuring it with a near empty gas tank (the 7/8" lean was with a full tank) and see if it makes a difference.

I haven't pursued it with the local Toyota dealer yet as I was hoping to 'help them' with the diagnosis with information from other Tacoma owner's with the same problem. So far, the only response that Toyota gave to one guy was that the lean was 'within specification' - a euphemism for 'yes, we screwed up but not so much that we think we need to fix it'.

After I take it in, I will post what the local Toyota dealer says.
    The gas tank theory does make sense. Gotta figure that adding 200 pounds to one side or the other will drop that side. Guess I will measure mine the next time the tank is empty and then after filling it. Putting a 200 pound person in the truck will drop it 7/8 inch.
  • I am currently trying to justify the price difference between the various option packages for the 2006 Tacoma. I want a 4WD Access Cab with limited slip and the towing package. 99% of my driving will be on the road. From a practical perspective, I believe the SR5 is the best bang for the buck. The Sport package is just too expensive and I'm not a big fan of the hood scoop. The off road package is my favorite looking truck though. Here is my question. Does the off road suspension provide a noticeably harsher ride then the SR5? Are the sport seats worth the extra money? I would appreciate any feedback.
    Slicksleeve?? I won't even ask.. :)

I didn't drive any Tacoma's without the off road package so I can't give a totally informed opinion, but I do have a DC 4x4 shortbed with the off road package and I don't think it rides rough at all. Somewhat firm, but not at all uncomfortable on a long drive. And definitely better than my old 82 Toyota 4x4 with the solid front axle. A friend has a new Ford F250 (3/4 ton and not the best comparison either..), but he thinks my Tacoma rides much better than his Ford. I would drive a truck with and without the package one after the other and decide (and I agree with you about the hood scoop on the sport pkg).

The sport seats are great, with quality fabric. So good in fact, that I decided to cover them up with Toyota front seat covers (toyotapartspeople.com) to protect them.

I also got the tow package. Although I was a bit miffed that it didn't have a trailer brake controller, it does have a nice plug-in for one under the dash, which made it a snap to install the brake controller myself. And the tow pkg. does come with some really good stuff like auxiliary engine oil and trans fluid cooler, plus the receiver hitch/7 pin connector, HD alternator and battery. This stuff must work pretty well as I just towed a travel trailer weighing an estimated 5,200 lbs up to 7,500 elevation (@45 MPH)without any problems. No engine overheating, or hot fluid smells of any kind.

One thing you might check before buying: My truck leans almost an inch to the left when viewed from the rear (ie., low on the drivers side). It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's more noticeable than it sounds and I plan to take it to the dealer soon to see what they say about it. Others with the same problem say it might be due to the gas tank and battery both being on the left side. Hmmmm, but other trucks don't lean and I'm sure some have the same heavy items to one side.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide..
    I agree. I have the same setup (4X4 DC SB). Rides good in my opinion. Not as smooth as the 02 Tundra I traded in, but it is nice. The only thing I question is putting covers on the seats. Don't all of the TRD Off Road DCs come with airbags in the seats? If so, you could cause some major harm to yourself in a crash when the airbag misfires due to the cover. If you don't have the bags, then no big deal. I would cover mine too if I could because it makes a big difference at trade time.

Also, where did you measure the 1 inch difference? An inch at the rear bumper is alot different than an inch infront of the rear tire.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Posts: 300
    "Here is my question. Does the off road suspension provide a noticeably harsher ride then the SR5? Are the sport seats worth the extra money? I would appreciate any feedback."

Since both questions involve totally subjective answers,a nd involve significant expense, DRIVE THEM YOURSELF. ;)

My answer is "slightly", and "yes", but your interpretation and body makeup are bound to be different. The larger, heavier, high-sidewalled tires on the TRD Off-Road also handle slightly different than smaller tires.
    I don't have the side airbags on my truck. I don't know if they're a stand-alone option or not, but they are definitely not part of the TRD Off Road package. But you're right, if someone has the side airbags, you don't want the seat covers!

I measured the left/right bed difference with the tailgate down, right about where the cable is bolted into the tailgate (when I checked it a while back, I measured the same distant from the bottom edge on both sides but it was close to this location). It measured about 29" from the left side to the ground, and 30" on the right. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it sure looks worse than a 1" difference. Since I've read here, and on another forum about people complained of the same thing, I know the problem isn't unique with my truck. The bottom line is that it just looks hokey, like it's been in a rear-end accident or something. And not the sort of thing you would expect from Toyota.
  • benzy1benzy1 Posts: 11
    My impressions...

The sr5 drives a bit choppy, and as most stock Toyota trucks, rebound on the suspension lags quite a bit, meaning the wheels dont contour the road as well.

The TRD Off-Road seemed stiffer than the sr5 and more sure-footed. I could definitely feel the benefits of progressive-rate springs soaking up the little stuff.

The TRD Sport seemed to have the stiffer suspension of the three, and this translated to vibrations being felt through the cabin. I don't understand why one would want a sport tuned truck with a 9+ inch ground clearance.

My recommendation is to get the TRD Off-Road, or the sr5 if the TRD options are too pricey. Though, this is very subjective, I drove an sr5 prerunner, 4x4 Access Cab TRD sport, 4x4 Access Cab TRD OR and settled on buying a 4x4 DC Off-Road without ever driving one.