Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Thanks for everyones input. I really wanted to see what the Tacoma experts had to say regarding the ride. Although I haven't had the oportunity to drive the TRD Off Road version, I have driven the SR5 4x4. I thought the ride was very pleasant. My current vehicle is a 95 2wd S10 and the suspension is very stiff (the 170k miles may contribute to this) so I'm looking for something a little more civilized. I'm just trying to justify the $1200 MSRP price difference between the SR5 and TRD Off Road packages.
  • No a redesign isn't scheduled until 2010. Toyota Tacoma's were just redesigned last year. I think your thinking of the new Tundra's they come out early 2007.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Posts: 300
    "I don't understand why one would want a sport tuned truck with a 9+ inch ground clearance. "

I'm glad I'm not the only one. But then again, people put 22 inch+ wheels and 35-40 aspect ratio tires on 4WD SUVs... :confuse:

Now, a drastically lowered 2WD sport truck! :shades:
  • geogeckogeogecko Posts: 225
    I've got a DC SB that I'm considering getting a truck bed cover for, but I haven't found one that I like yet.

I'm looking for a hard top, and would like for it to be easily removable, and possibly attach to the bed rails without requiring modification. I don't know if that is possible or not.

I'd also consider one of those roll tops that is more like a hard top when it's rolled out, but I can't remember who makes them.

Anyone got some names I should check into? Thanks!
  • coldfootcoldfoot Posts: 49
    Try trucktoys4less.com and check out the torza top. I have one on my 05 Access Cab and it looks great. Easy to put on roll up or take off. Works in existing side rails.
  • glen_hglen_h Posts: 11
    You might want to look at the Undercover hard tonneau (google undercover bed cover).

I have one on my DC LB and really like it. It attaches to the bed rails at the front and where the struts are about half way down the sides. With the cover off, you can still use the rails. Taking it off is about a 5 minute process, it does take two people, and it hangs on the wall.

Only real problem, if it is a problem, is that it only comes in black and isn't really paintable - it has a textured surface.

HTH

Glen
    I looked at the Torza top, but I believe it's more of a soft top, than a hard top, but it is nice that it folds up like that.

The Undercover top looks really nice. I downloaded the installation guide, and it looks fairly easy to install.

Black isn't a big deal for me, my truck is silver, so I've been pretty much buying black items to go with it.

One thing I haven't seen yet, is a hard top that allows you to mount a bike rack to the top of it. Do these exist? It might be a pain for me to have to remove this top to be able to take my mountain bike places. I wonder if something is made specifically for the Undercover top?
  • len888len888 Posts: 112
    My WeatherTech rear floor mat finaly arrived only to find it didn't fit the Access Cab. Cabela's, where I ordered it from, did some digging and told me that WeatherTech reports that although they list a rear mat for the Access Cab that in fact it is not available at ths time. WeatherTech has been drop shipping mats made for Double Cab models. What a disappointment. Cabela's proceeded to correct their ordering records and appled $59.99 credit to my account. I now await Cabela's UPS return shipping label. The WeatherTech front mats for the '05-'06 Access cab fit like a glove.
    I had my Undercover top installed by a local truck accessory dealer. It only took them about 45 minutes to get everything squared up and ready to go.

I also like the black cover. It looks good on my Impulse Red DC and goes really nice with the Westin tube steps I put on (talk about an easy installation).

I don't know if there's a rack that goes on top of the cover. I got the towing package, so I'd get a bike rack that fits into the receiver if I were to start hauling my bike around - I generally just lay it in the bed and close the cover for short trips.

Cheers,

Glen
    Thanks Glen.

So far, this seems to be the best looking, most flexible, easiest to install hard bed cover available.

I did some searching around, and it doesn't seem that there are standard, non-destructive bike racks for these covers. Basically, it requires you to buy a bed cover bike rack mount, which is basically a bolt-on accessory, which requires you to drill holes in the bed cover, and therefore void the warranty.

I'm not sure it's worth voiding the warranty, and the possibility that it could leak near the hole, to install something like this.

I haven't decided exactly what to do about this situation, but your hitch suggestion is probably the easiest solution. If I could remove the cover by myself, then it would be a now brainer. However, I'm pretty sure it would require two people to do so.

Do you have a picture you could post of your cover? I haven't found many pictures with the Toyota online.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Posts: 194
    Couple pics of undercovers in this thread.

http://toyotanation.com/forum/t137474.html
  • gymbogymbo Posts: 37
    Hello all,
    I've been away from this board for some time,but I now have a problem.My right tail light lens was broken,does any one know how to remove it,before I start removing bolts.Also,anyone have an idea what a new lens might cost?
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    Open the tailgate and you will find 4 bolts along the back above and below the tailgate hinge cable/latch loop. Remove them and the assembly comes out. I would guess you can get a lense for around $60 bucks on EBAY.
    I have no doubt that there is something wrong with your truck, and if it is suspension problem I would demand a fix or replacement immediately. However, I cannot put any credibility in a tailgate measurement. it could be a tailgate hinge that shifts the rearend appearance (very minor fix), a body spacer (quite minor) or it could be suspension (could be major). You have to get a reading right in front or behind the rear tire either on the frame or lower side panel and use that as a starting point. I would prefer a frame measurement because that eliminates the body spacer/mount. Granted, you should not have to take things into your own hands, but I would rather spend 30 minutes doing research myself than several hours and many trips to a dealer that may or may not know what they are doing. I can't afford to take multiple days off for something I can help fix myself. I love my Toyota, and I don't take kindly to people talking smack about them without taking some responsibility themselves to help correct problems. I realize that even the assembly line people are human and may forget a spacer occasionally. Finally, don't take anything I say personnaly. I don't have any idea what level of mechanics anyone has, and the dealer should be able to find problems, but they are human too (and you can only get so much help for crappy wages). If you have done everything you know to do, then you have not dissed Toyota or me in any way.
    Also, don't talk smack about Nissan either. The last one I owned was a Datsun, but they are every bit the quality of Toyota.
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Posts: 62
    Try and focus a little ustazzaf. This isn't rocket science here. And don't be so paranoid, this isn't about you, or dissing your baby, it's about my truck (and others) not being built to the usual Toyota standard. You said previously that you were/are a mechanic. By any chance is it at a Toyota shop?

If the freaking truck looks like it's leaning to the left, and measurements from the left & right side of the bumper and tailgate (which are not connected to the same place) show that it is, isn't that enough - not to mention others have complained of the same problem?
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    Wrong. There are 4 bolts but only TWO of them hold the tail light. The other two bolts hold something else. You want to undo the two smaller bolts. You'll need a 10mm wrench. Then once the bolts are out just pull out on the light real hard. The other side snaps into place with a plastic pin, but it pops loose when you pull on it.
    You're right, it isn't rocket science. It is about helping yourself. Had a guy come in the shop 6 days in a row with flat tires. We fixed flats free and triple A changed them free. It was easier for him to have us fix the end result then for him to pick up the nails from his driveway which were the root of the problem. When Triple A shut him off, he picked up the nails. Same way with most of the complaints. Spend a few minutes looking for the root of the problem, or waste a bunch of your time "getting the big guy". And, no, I have never worked for ANY new car dealer.
    Thanks. A few good shots there.

What is all the talk about LED's? Is there a light built into the lid or something? If so, how is it hooked up?
  • kiwi79kiwi79 Posts: 10
    Just wondering if anyone has modified (or knows of a mod)the exhaust system where it crosses over from the left to the right just behind the transmission cross-member. Is there an aftermarket exhaust that re-routes this section making it higher? The standard system in this original position is extremely vulnerable to being dameged when off-road as it sits lower than the cross-member. Mine has been scrapped by rocks and ditches already and i'm concerned that one day it could be severely damaged. A straight bolt-off/bolt-on option would be preferred. I look forward to any assistance. Rgds KIWI.
    Undercover put a light in the top of the cover around the middle of last year. It has three white superbrite LEDs, is battery powered and has a push on/push off switch.

The light is built right into the rear most cross member and gives off a surprising amount of light - good enough to see what's in the bed. The only thing that you need to do is remember to turn it off before you close the lid.

Cheers,

Glen