Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• That's probably for the ScanGuage1, not the new ScanGauge2
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    Can someone point me to some info on the 2.7L 4cyl engine? Wikipedia has nothing on it, and I've googled myself silly. I would like a brief history of the engine, and maybe the genealogy. For example, is it related to the old 22RE? is the block cast iron, or aluminum? Timing chain, or belt? (assume chain). Forged crank and pistons, or cast? What is the engine weight? I can't find that info anywhere.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks,,,
  • thechad1thechad1 Posts: 3
    Hello Taco Forum,
    I have received very helpful information from this forum in the past. I hope someone can help me out. I have a 2008 TRD access cab. I am experiencing a slight whistling noise coming from the driver side of the car at speeds of 70 or greater. The noise is coming from somewhere between the access cab up to the front driver side windshield. It is a sharp whistling sound. It just started happing. I have 1400 miles on my taco. How can I fix this whistling sound?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I've delivered a few 06 & 07 'Taco's lately - I've been very disappointed with the build quality on them, from a normal Toyota perspective. I don't know what's going on, but there are odd things like whistles, leaks and rattles in some of them, which was unheard of before. OF course, if you're covered, take it back to the dealer and demand the problem be addressed.
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Posts: 39
    This subject hasn't been mentioned for awhile but it is so easy to do that anyone can do it. Open the glove box and carefully pull off the door damper at its rear connection. The damper just presses on to a post but it is plastic and will get loose if you are not careful. The blower is right behind the glove box. There is a horizontal door that folds down. Open this door and slide in a cut-to-fit filter that you can cut out of any household filter. I cut several filters out of one so now I can change it as often as I want and it doesn't cost me anything. It's up to you what type of filter you want to use and how much to spend on it. I bought a good accordian-type filter. It sure keeps the cabin cleaner. I've had mine installed for three years now and am real happy with the results.
  • I get this too. I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan, coincidentally it's white, after it rains, black streaks, mainly under the rear side windows, also rear hatch door, also some other places but less noticeable (like under the front headlights). I used a wax/polish on the entire vehicle, plus I did the roof rack and all black rubber/plastic trim on the vehicle just in case the black streaks were coming from that, but surprisingly I still get streaks. I can't get in the crevice around the middle side windows because they are "floating glass", but I don't think the streaking is coming from there because then every Caravan on the road would have streaks. I've seen this same streaking on a sedan in a parking lot recently, strangely enough it was white. The van looks absolutely terrible, don't know what to do.
  • http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm#2

check out this great site...it will answer lot of your octane questions..

I also use 87 octane and find no significant difference compared to 91. After you read/access the info above, you too will agree that using higher octanes in your v6 Taco is actually more harmful than not. According to the site info above, using high octane in engines with lower compression will eventually mess up your catalytic converters (hence the stink smell). Please read the info...
    2008 Tacoma V6 Double Cab TRD Sport
  • Hey Guys,
    Check out this link for answers/info to the octane question.
    http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm#2

2008 Tacoma Sport double cab, flowmasters (50 series).
  • ctrlctrl Posts: 4
    Iron block, chain and all forged.
    Iron block, chain and all forged.

Thank you ctrl. I guess everyone gets the V6, but with gas expected to approach $5 a gallon this summer, I'm glad I went with the 4cyl.

Do you happen to know if the auto trans has a lockup torque converter, and at what speed it locks up?
  • I just got a 2008 DC Sport Taco and I am wondering if the Mother's Carnuba Polish is any good. I am looking for an easy polish with great protection and shine. I would also like this polish to be "powder free" and not leave behind powder on the windshield and stuff...thanks

Hawaiian Sunshine...
  • bigandybigandy Posts: 70
    You guys are forgetting that these engines have variable valve timing and other tweaks that allow them to properly use higher octane fuel. My own experience is that the mileage is actually better with 91 octane, but not enough to make it pay for itself. I thus use 87 octane all the time in a 2005 4x4 TRD Access Cab with 6 and 6 speed manual.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    Well, which one do you want? A polish or a wax? They're totally different products. A polish cleans and repairs paint damage. A wax/sealant protects the paint and adds gloss. I did a detailing How-To here http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126955
  • saesae Posts: 1
    my toyota recently started squeking when in reverse but stops if i put it in neutral while coasting backwards. if i go fast enough in reverse it stops but starts back up when i slow down any guess what this could be. only does it in reverse, not drive
  • bolucaboluca Pittsboro, NCPosts: 25
    I would like to find a used access cab, 4x4 with manual trans. Any idea what year I would need to start looking at to get stability control and side airbags? I know it might be hard but those things are important to me.
    The last 2 Toyota trucks I bought had a bottle of sealant/wax in the glove box. That stuff is amazing. It makes the paint so shiny and slick it's hard to believe. They sell it at the dealers, too.
  • offroader3offroader3 Posts: 37
    I have a question,I have a 05 Tacoma double cab,been struggling with wind noise 70-80 mph when it's windy.Anyway I took it to the dealer but didn't fix the issue.My question is does changing the whole windshield will fix this issue???
    My guess is that it has nothing to do with the windshield.

I get wind noise at the doors at 55-60mph. It's probably hopeless above 70mph. I don't think wind noise is a priority on pickup trucks, and I doubt Toyota will fix it.
  • jomano1jomano1 Posts: 4
    I agree with responder. Its a truck...not a luxury car. Wind noise is going to be an issue, especially with a sliding back window if present. If you want a car free of wind noise you should buy a Lexus or a Mercedes.
  • bigandybigandy Posts: 70
    If you are talking about a whistling noise at 70-80 in a high cross wind, there is a TSB on this and I had no trouble getting Toyota to fix it. You don't have to live with it.

I used a digital camera to record a short movie showing:

1) my speed
    2) the noise itself, which is unmistakable.

I had to play it back for the service manager in the showroom to get away from all the shop noise, but he heard it and they fixed it.

Here's the link to the TSB:

http://clem.mscd.edu/~reesegr/NV006-07.pdf