Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• I have a 2000 toyota tacoma 2.7 it has a timing chain.
  • I have searched far and wide to try and find an answer, this is my first post.

I own a 2009 Tacoma reg cab, 4wd, 4 cylinder, manual with 20K miles. At about 10K miles I noticed a harsh howl noise when going between 55-75 mph but only when light deceleration. Like when you just let your foot off the gas on the highway as you are going down hill. A slight apply of the throttle makes the noise go away. Put the transmission in neutral and/or push in the clutch and the noise is stays -- but now throttle position has no effect on the noise. The noise is very noticeable.

The dealer changed the rear fluid to some sort of synthetic-- no change. The dealer refused any further work on the truck since it has has a 2" non-stock lift with slightly larger tires.

I did a 1" diff drop for the front -- no changes.

I added an approx 2 deg axle shim on the rear -- no change.

I replaced the transfer case fluid with purple power 75-90 fluid -- no change.

I relubed all u-joints -- no change.

The next step is to replace transmission lube with purple power lube to see what this effect is -- but I just cannot see this working. I am stumped!!!!

Since the noise stays when in I am in neutral (or clutch in) then I would expect the that the motor and anything associated with motor is not the issue. ie air pump, fan clutch etc.

Since I am not in 4 wd, I can assume that it is not anything associated with the front end. Wheel bearings, wheel alignment, differential, etc.

My only other choice seems there is something in the transmission. I will do the purple power in the tranny to see if there is any change in the noise level or type of sound.

Any suggestions? Any ideas will help. Toyota refuses to help unless I remove all the mods done for the lift. Since nothing is broken, truck drives good, no abnormal sounds under heavy acceleration or deceleration -- it (hopefully) is nothing major.

Not sure if anybody has an answer, but I would appreciate any help. Email me at emberglo2001yahoo.com if you would like. Thanks for all your help.

:cry:
  • I would remove the lift kit and let the dealer figure it out under warranty.
  • I have heard that the cause of the Gas Pedal stick situation is not caused by floor mats, but rather the type of lubrication used on the gas pedal mechanics. Does anyone know if this is true?
  • Did you ever fix this problem I am experiencing almost the exact same problem on the exact same truck. I have a prerunner suspension is the only difference.
  • Hey tribum, I know this is an old as hell post but did u ever get ur n2 installed in yout yota?
  • 09taco09taco Posts: 33
    does anyone with a 2009 Tacoma v-6 4x4 had any troubles with not starting at a cold start up.? mine acts like its lacking Fuel pressure, the motor turns over, and over way to many times before it starts, my truck only has 9k miles on it. dealer couldn't find a problem, no codes show up in computer.....
  • eric_n_dfweric_n_dfw Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    I'm considering buying a Double-Cab Pre-Runner w/ TRD Off-Road but am wondering if the JBL audio w/ BlueTooth is worth nearly a grand. I have a Sony receiver that I could put in but would probably end up spending over a grand on brand name speakers, amps and subwoofer. Are there any good reviews of the JBL system?
  • 09taco09taco Posts: 33
    I have a 2009 V-6 Tacoma auto double cab TRD off Road. I'm getting lots of black carbon exhaust build up on the inside of the tail pipe and on the exterior of the truck right above the exhaust tail pipe. I believe the truck is running very rich in gas to air ratio. However, I don't have a check engine light on. My truck only has 10k miles on it. I spoke with another tacoma owner, he has over 28k miles with no carbon build up. and runs very clean.....I was just checking to see if anyone else observed the same as I did. Maybe a TSB would correct this....
  • eforsstromeforsstrom Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    I am so glad you posted this. I have had the same issue since my 2005 Tacoma V6, Auto, Double Cab, Short bed, was new. The dealer keeps saying it is normal.
    Like you my pipe is black, and the mud flap and the lower rear body panel too. I thought it was running to rich, so at about 30k miles I changed to a K&N air filter hoping that would help lean it out. No noticable change. I now have 76k miles on it.
    If any one knows something constructive about this, please let me know.
    I love my truck, but this does not seem normal.
  • bigandybigandy Posts: 70
    Had my 2005 V6 4x4 TRD Access Cab in for the 45k service yesterday and my mechanic called me during the day to report he found a creamy foam under the oil cap and that the coolant level was down (1 pt to 1 qt). He was thinking head gaskets but as I read on line about others finding this, it looks like it's probably pretty normal. I usually change the oil myself before I go in, so he normally wouldn't see this, even if it were an ongoing problem. He's also familiar with the head gasket problems on some of the other Toyota V6's which may have made him more likely to favor that explanation of what's going on.

I went to the local Toyota service desk and talked to the assistant service manager about the problem. He pointed out that we don't actually know the starting level of the coolant, so it may have been down a little for the 15k and 30k services. I only put on about 8k or 9k miles a year, so it was at least a year and a half ago that the 30k service happened. I NEVER look at the coolant because it has never shown signs of problems and it's a young vehicle. The service guy also said the foam can easily be caused by condensation and would be considered normal, barring other symptoms. I do a lot of short trips and that makes it less likely that the condensation would be removed from a hot engine.

Both the Toyota service guy and my mechanic agree that we should watch the coolant and the oil more carefully for a while. I'm inclined to think that the coolant loss happened over a matter of years and is ultimately not something that indicates big problems (like the need to replace head gaskets at $2k.

Has anyone else had experience with this problem? I don't see much reference to it here, though there is some on a couple of the other boards.

Thanks in advance.
  • al16al16 Posts: 1
    Do I need to replace the whole rack & pinion assembly if the driver side boot is leaking grease? I asked NAPA tech and told me most likely I have to do the whole thing to make sure that no steering fluid is lost? Can I do that my self or I have to take it to the shop? Please advice.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    When, and what year, did the Tacoma get "blown up" to the size of the Tundra...?

And why...??
    2005. That's why this is the 2005+ forum.
  • Im wondering how easy it is to remove and replace the blow motor (which blows air for heater and AC functions).
    A friend of mine has low air output, the fan noise varies, especially when going over a bump. The bearings are starting to go, probably needs replacement
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited July 2010
    Blower motor bearing failure is pretty rare, more likely something(s...?) down inside the squirrel cage blower wheel itself, bird, mouse, debris, etc.
  • cregocrego Posts: 1
    Hi Bigandy!

You are a genius!
    The whole thing took less than 10 minutes and my display is now brighter than ever. You saved me a wad of money

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Kind of amazing, isn't it. Going to Toyota costs $800 or more to replace that thing. Seems that nearly all of them fail and it should be a TSB repair, not something that civilians are talking about here. Glad it worked for you.
  • ANY ONE KNOW OF A CLASS ACTION ON THIS FRAME RUST PROBLEM? MY TRUCK IS A MESS TOYOTA IS GIVING ME THE RUN AROUND. SO MUCH FOR 2005 TRUCK OF THE YEAR . IF YOU LIVE NEAR THE OCEAN OR IN THE NORTH EAST WHERE THERE IS ROAD SALT. YOU WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE PROBLEMS. WE HAVE TO COMPLAIN!!! MY TRUCK ONLY HAS 60000 ON IT. AND I WONDER IF It'll GET ANOTHER 10 BEFORE IT FALLS APART.