Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Water Leaks -- How to Find and Fix

Comments

• Thank you very much for replying so quickly (Oregon rain is never ending)! Here are few other tidbits of information:

Plastic membrane was removed sometime ago (not sure why), I will replace with new plastic but I was able to trace the leak last night to the speaker. The water is following the wiring from the power mirror to the top of the speaker (which by the looks of the plastic membrane was never there), then out the bottom, into the floor pan.

Door drains verified clear, no debris, working well.

Checked the hood vents, verified no debris and good drainage.

I also looked underneath the car and at the floor pan for broken welds, cracks, or anything resembling a potential leak source; all looked solid.

As I am to understand the squegee's function; 'some' water should pass into the door, but exactly how much is a mystery to me; I applied the hose the the door (minus door panel) and watched approximately 30%-40% of the water to pass into the door. The water did drain through the channels but also 'my leak' traveled along the wiring of the mirror.

I am placing the order for the squegee (This Honda parts store does not stock them), but should that be the only place I look? Is it possible to have a leak from the mirror housing? Any other ideas where a leak to the driver side floor panel might come from?

In the interim I have made a makeshift umbrella inside the door to cover the speaker, if my standing water has disappeared, I may have gotten lucky(at least until I get that part).

Again, Thank you for being available, quick to reply, and a wealth of knowledge...

Nick
  • So you don't think the mirror base gasket is also leaking?

The squeegee will allow a little water yes. That's why you have door drains.
  • I am not sure. I have had a hard time trying to isolate just the mirror gasket, since the water from the hose travels to the squegee.

Since I am going to replace the squegee, I will more than likely replace the mirror gasketing. If you think it could also be a potential source (which seems logical). though, I haven't performed either repair, hopefully I can manage it.
  • I just got a used car three weeks ago, and noticed it is wet at driver's side on the floor. Dealer told me it was b/c they shampooed it for the floor was dirty when it came in.

But it is already three weeks after I got the car, it is still wet there, seems not drier at all. Yet during these weeks it had some snow and rain, and now becomes sunny again.

I really have no idea why the floor still wet! Is it b/c of the weather that made the shampooed floor so hard to dry? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

Help, please! Thanks!
  • It could be that the underlayment that lines the floor, under the carpet, is soaked through. This won't EVER dry unless you pull up the carpeting and this underlayment and dry it out in the garage, or with a hair dryer, or in the sun, etc.
  • graceggraceg Posts: 6
    Thanks for your reply! Today morning I finally the water may came out from speaker at driver's side! Since last we had a heavy rain, I checked my floor today, it got wetter, and saw there was water remaining on the speaker. So I thought maybe rain got through the speaker and sprayed out there to the floor...

It is odd, I do not know how could water came through there, and my speaker still works well? What should be done to repair it? Is it because of the side mirror, for I was told the first owner once replace that mirror.

Thanks again for your help! Good weekend :)
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    Sure it could be the mirror. What you'd have to do is remove the door panel and then test the door with water. I bet you'll see it.
  • nusealnuseal Posts: 1
    You wont be able to see the rear sunroof drain. there are 2 in the rear . Open the trunk..look for a tube at the right side. It will come over top of the wheel house and drain out behind it. pull it loose and blow into it. Hard. If the debris doesent break loose you may have a crimp or the tube may be flattened and need replacement. Home Depot has it.Let me know
  • jonjon14jonjon14 Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, I have an 03 civic and theres water leaking into my car on both sides (driver and passenger). Last year, i noticed it to be more so on the driver side, but now it is pretty bad on both sides. I just removed the carpet today since it is a nice dry day and i'm going to spray it with water to see if its a rain leak. If its not the doors or speaker like the last guy, what can it be? please help. i have a puddle in my car. thanks!
  • jonjon14jonjon14 Posts: 2
    here are some pics of what i think it may be. the rubber mat with the foam under the clutch/break is soaking wet as well. its on both sides. can it be the gutter on my windshield?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• :( Water is leaking into the passenger side floor. The sunroof also leaks water. The windows fog up and I have to wipe them down, hence they fog up not long after if I don't open the window when driving. The car smells of mildew and I need some advice as to what to do. At this moment dont' have the money to take it in to get looked at. Any advice how I can fix it???

Thanks
  • chevz71chevz71 Posts: 1
    I've been following this forum and it seems that I too may have clogged drains under the cowl on my 1994 Chevy p/u. When it rains water leaks out of the blower motor. I took the cowl off but couldn't see anything or get my hand far enough in to feel any goop,glop or other nasty things. Where would I find the drains on my truck?
    Very informative forum. Thanks!
  • Hey, I have a 96 Jetta and it just began to leak. I only find water on the passenger side in the back on the floor, nothing else seems to be wet. I thought it was the sun roof but after a car wash and pouring water directly into the water shed canals, it seem to redirect the water out the drains properly. Anyway i don't if this is what you have but take a look at your trunk under the fabric where your spare tire is. I found a little pool of water just sitting there. I have started to think the water fills the trunk and leaks into the back seat floor. If this is the case i have to try and prove it's the back window seal. Check your rear window seal, my isn't so good but i still have to run a test.

Hope this helped,

Mark
    Just pour a little water in there and see if it drains out under the firewall, onto the ground. No drip (a flow actually) = clogged drains.
  • I have a 96 grand am that floods all the time! The passenger side floods all the time. At least 5 inches of water forms on the floor in the back and the floor is soaked in the front passenger. The back passanger feels like a water bed almost. As I was driving, I could see the water puddle forming in the front passenger.

I dont have a sunroof. I poured water into the cowl and saw water drain out from under the car (so i know its not clogged). I layed down newspaper in the trunk and poured water around the seal to see if that leaked and it doesnt.

I'm a poor college kid. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

PLEASE HELP!
    Does it only flood when it rains?

Does it ever flood when it isn't raining?
  • yea it only floods when it rains or when it snows and the snow melts
    Okay, so it's not the AC evaporator drain.

If you are SURE the fresh air vent drain isn't clogged up, then it could be either the windshield seal or on some cars, a seal under the fresh air cowl...it isn't the drain but a kind of gasket that some cars use to seal the "basin" that catches the water in there. I seem to remember Lincolns being notorious for this.

You can seal up the windshield easily by spreading some black LATEX caulk with your finger on and under the winshield seal and then cleaning up the excess with water (nice thing about LATEX caulk!). Let it cure overnight and then test it.
  • What is going on? I have been having a waterleak when it rains for months now come through the bottom of the console,but today when I was going through the carwash I had my ac on and the 2 vents on middle bottom of the console stated blowing bubbles and car wash suds was streaming out of them...how could they get into the vents like that??? I posted the question about the water leak awhile ago,but maybe this will give some clues as to what it could be...
    See post # 265 above.