Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC's Warranty Business Practices

Comments

• driftracerdriftracer Posts: 2,692
    "I am not asking anyone to "buy into my story". Be a scientist for a moment and PROCESS that I have PICTURES AND TESTIMONY from credible people who WERE THERE."

OK, then why didn't the manufacturer take your side? Why didn't the investigator take your side? If you feel so strongly about all of this, why not spend a couple of bucks and have an accident investigator (on your side) look at the information and the scene?

As adamant and strong as you seem to be about this situation, and as willing as you are to bash the living heck out of the manufacturer and the dealer, you'd think you'd bolster your case with something other than witness claims from passers-by.

I think you have a long road ahead of you if you intend to hold onto your contention that this is the manufacturer's fault. You certainly haven't done your homework to back up your side of the story, and no judge or jury would point a finger based on he said/she said testimony and the car owner's version (who wasn't there) of how things happened.
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 611
    I still want to know:

Did the truck hit the curb, then buckle/lose control? or did the truck buckle/lose control, then hit the curb?

Where did the light pole come into contact with the truck?

Did the insurance company investigate? What did they find?
    seemed conveniently "left out" - perhaps it conflicted with his conspiracy theory.
  • landru2landru2 Posts: 638
    "My wife, a Speech Pathologist/Teacher left her sister's (former Assistant District Attorney) home to travel approximately 200 feet before turning left into a public parking lot to get lunch."

I can't believe that GMC didn't take this vital evidence into account.
  • rinebirdrinebird Posts: 83
    I read your dissatisfaction with GMC .I have been extremely dissatisfied with GM customer service. I assume they are related.
    My car had a class action suit settlement due to the brakes and calipers. GM refused to recall the vehicle. 250,000 people got a tiny bit of money ,me less than $50.00 for over $800.00 in repairs( in one year).The thing is the car's brakes and calipers have broken without warning 6 times in 8 years. Go to www.recalls.org it will show you under automobiles service bulletins etc. on cars.You can also report any complaint you may have.I found this site by a local TV news station story two weeks ago. GM had 18 service bulletins on my car. It is too late they say my car is now " too old ."I never received the bulletins .I also was told by customer service that this site is for dealers only, which is not true. I told them the car hasd bene dangerous since day one and they dont'; care. I am lucky to be alive.
    Godo luck.
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 611
    I was hoping the new post was from the original poster giving an update! Oh, well...

rinebird, do you have a Lumina?
    My 91 Lumina was in a class action lawsuit for calipers, too. I got about $8.00. My rear calipers only seized up once, however. It cost about $300.00 to fix about 4 years ago and the brakes have been great since. Yours have continued to seize? That sounds more like a bad mechanic or bad parts than a GM problem.
    brake calipers or rotors on a vehicle for that long, working or not - seals and cables have a way of causing problems after 5-6 years.

I'd replaced the stock components within 3 years, broken or not.

Then, though, I wouldn't be able to (a) blame the manufacturer for a rubber sealed component not lasting 10 years, and (b) join in as cannon fodder for a lawyer's class action suit where I get next to nothing and they make a million bucks.

As an expert witness, I've certified three class action suits - all three were shaky at best, and I didn't get on a bandwagon over the causes, for sure.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Are you aware that you can get rid of a car you don't like? You are not forced to drive the same car for your whole life.

And the lawsuit was over the rear brake caliper slid pins suffering from corrosion. Your lawyer settled the suit, accepting GM's money and GM's continued claim of innocence. Your lawyer never promised big money, you were told the maximum you would receive was 12.5% of your valid claims.
    yes my Lumina had dealer calipers that were under warranty but break just short of warranty or the opposite oen breaks.One dealer still refused to say it was the caliper under warranty. 5 of my 6 calipers broke while the car had under 60 thousand. So I don't understand people that think because the car is dated that you have put miles on it. My lumina to me has been dangerous since day one due due to the the fact these calipers were faulty or Gm would never have settled.
       I am glad your car is ok 93 is the bad year.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    ...Replace major brake components (caliper and rotors) on cars after 5 or 6 years, or even 3 years????

I've got a 94 Ford Ranger pickup, 80,000 miles, with the original rear braking system intact, and it looks good for another 20,000 or so.

I replaced the front rotors, pads, seals, doing nothing to the calipers, at about 65,000 miles. These appeared to be original components. There was wear left on the pads, I did the work because the rotors were warping and I didn't like the shimmy when I was braking.

Now I live in the sunny south and don't see all that white stuff and associated salt in a winter, but to replace stuff on a 'time' basic is just excessive.
    -Having the tie rod analyzed by a metallurgy test is the very best thing you could do to develop proof there was a manufactoring error. This was what I was going to suggest, then I read the note where you said you were going to do this. I would think a top-line lab could find a manufactoring defect, or determine if the break was caused by stress fracture from the accident.

-The rim being dented concerns me. I would think a 2 inch curb would be no worse than a lot of potholes people encounter on the road, at speeds up to 75mph. Only wide, low profile tires and rims have problems with a 2 inch curb. I would think the size tires someone quoted are standard on your vehicle would be able to cross this curb, at almost any speed, and not be dented.

-I feel there may be a case of 'unintended acceleration' here. You wife turned into a curb, had a sharp 'jolt' crossing it, and got on the accelerator rather than the brake. She then 'fishtailed (your word)' (vehicle under power) across the lot and sideswiped a light standard, probably hitting the base, possibly a concrete base, breaking the tie rod, denting the rim, and taking out the side of the car.

(This is my best 'Carnack' vision.)
    I don't trust any OEM brake component for an extended period - I race cars and put my vehicles through the wringer - I upgrade all of my braking components within the first year or so.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,356
    Never once in all of the cars I've owned and all of the miles I've driven, I have never, ever had a caliper leak, stick, or anything else.
    Well, if you race, that is a totally different world from a usual driver. You could probably totally roast a brake system in one afternoon at a track. Also a set of tires?
    I've had a caliper leak.

On a Corvette. These cars, at least the older models, love to rust the calipers out from the inside. Maybe they have improved in the last 10 years or so, but the 'original' 4 piston calipers seem to come equiped from the factory with a few tablespoons of water in each caliper. They would then creat a nice rust pit in each piston within a few years. Especailly if you put new pads on, it would push the piston back so the seal sat right on the top of the rust pits.
    Leaks.
    There is a big industry of drilling out calipers and pressing in stainless steel liners and exchanging them with Corvette owners. For big money.
    I'm talking about weekend autocrossing, I still get 25,000 miles out of a set of Z or W rated tires and 25-30 out of good aftermarket brake pads - I just don't like OEM garbage on my vehicles, whether it's brakes or tires - I felt that way long before I started racing.

Compare OEM brake rotors, for instance, to those made by a good aftermarket company (I'm not talking about slotted $400 a piece Brembos, either). Stronger, better material, cleaner castings, etc.
    for a buddy in the Air Force - never again.

Nowadays, you can buy loaded calipers or hot rod calipers for less money than to pay labor for a rebuild.
    My son has a Ford Ranger with over 130,000 no problems. It is a 97. good luck
  • Over a month ago I purchased a new Chevrolet Malibu Maxx. When doing the paperwork, the "paperwork" guy asked me if I wanted an extended warranty. I looked at him and asked what happens to the warranty that was supposed to come with the vehicle (36miles, 3yrs). He said that would go away. But I could buy a warranty for $1800 and pay various deductibles. At the time, I said, NO. I couldn't understand why I would pay for a warranty when I'm supposed to already have a warranty. I've heard of people buying 7 year warranties. But haven't justified to myself that I should have. In the past when I bought a new car...if it lasted 3 years I usually kept it 5 or 6 years. I've never had a major problem with any car yet. I did spend $1400 once for something major, but kept the car another 5 years.

With the Maxx, once again I'm thinking if it lasts 3 years, great. Any inputs?

Also, I received an e-mail from my insurance company offering me Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI). Anyone know about this kind of coverage? If one makes claims, do the premiums go up?
    doesn't go away, it's simply reinforced and extended - the guy used a very poor choice of words, or is sorely mistaken.

Stay away from private/aftermarket service contracts - they don't have your best interest in mind, and they aren't "warranties" by any stretch.
This discussion has been closed.