Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Auto Warranty Broker

Comments

• luvmybenzluvmybenz Posts: 6
    How long have you worked for Auto Warranty, Stella? Is business slow? :blush: :mad: You just joined today, and have a lot of knowledge about this company.
  • stella11stella11 Posts: 2
    Actually, I am a teacher on summer vacation and have no connection to Auto Warranty at all, other than as a very satisfied customer. I guess that I have been burned by so many other types of businesses (exp. health insurance companies), so I wanted to really toot the horn (pardon the pun) of a good company for once. I was browsing this site because I am in the market for another car, and I decided to check out this chat since it was a product that I owned. Satisfied? Sounds as if you are having a bad day though...maybe too much time on your hands...is business slow? By the way, I have had my warranty for four years.
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 612
    and talks like an advertiser...

Stella,
    When you say 'reinsurance' policy, do you mean one backed by an RRG? One of the biggest SCCs in the internet is backed by a Risk Retention Group, so it's not always small companies that are backed this way.

Joel, you really carry service contracts on your personal vehicles?! I thought I knew you better than that! Well, as long as you wrangled a good price out of that sneaky F&I guy. ;)
  • My sweet mother-in-law bought a 2005 Honda CRV in May,2005. She doesn't drive very many miles a year so she decided to buy the extended warranty, 6yrs/75k. She hasn't even reached the period that the extended warranty would start. She got a letter saying API, the company that she got the EW with, went bankrupt. What if anything should she do? I was surprised that they didn't sell her the Honda Care Warranty. Does the dealership have any responsibility here?
    Read the contract carefully. A few will say the dealer has a hand in it (is responsible), most will say your deal is directly with the service contract company and it's insurers. The letter they sent may also shed some light.
    In other cases where a SCC went under, some dealers have paid claims out of thier own pockets, some have done partial payments, others say 'tough luck'.

Next time, tell her to skip the service contract. In the 10 years it'll take her to drive 20,000 miles, she is unlikely to use it. Her biggest problem will probably be a crapped-out battery due to lack of driving. Batteries aren't covered by service contracts. ;)

Dealerships sell third-party contracts more often than mfg-backed ones for one reason: money. They make more profit off third-party ones than mfg-backed ones. My former F&I guy would 'advise' against GMPP, even though he knows it's a superior product.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    Buying an aftermarket warranty is like buying a $50K car then going to Auto Zone and buying a $32 set of spinner hub caps to put on it.

Spend a couple hundred extra and get the factory service contract.

Though now days with the longer factory warranties the after markets are usually more expensive. When Ford went to 5yr/60K standard Powertrain warranty my service contract prices dropped an average of around $400.

Also if an Am warranty is extremely inexpensive there is probably a reason why.
    I've seen some aftermarket contracts that cost MORE than GMPP. I'm constantly amazed at what people get themselves into.
    (I make a habit of reading customers' contracts when they give 'em to me)
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    My Mazda dealership closed their doors about a year ago. They did not offer their Mazda warranty when I bought in 04', but an aftermarket warranty. Glad now I didn't buy.
    We had a Hyundai dealer get shut down here years ago because he was selling warranties but not reporting them, i.e not paying the manufacture for the contract. He was pocketing the whole selling price. It took about two years and he got shut down to.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    The funny thing about the Craig & Landreth Mazda store closing, was that they printed full page ads in the newspaper. The ads directed their Mazda customers to the two other Mazda dealerships for warranty service. Then they reopened their doors under Craig & Landreth Preowned.

I have yet to get anything from them in the mail about getting my van serviced or buying any of their preowned cars. Maybe, it is because they screwed me out of my "free tires for life" and they knew what the answer would be. Who knows.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Don't know of any aftermarket co that will touch an AMG car.
  • Great Lakes Warranty 1-888-740-7111 I bought this one through TCB auto warranty.
    Have you read their contract? Did you see the problems with it?

Great Lakes' contracts have more loopholes than a giant rollercoaster. There is a ton of room for them to wriggle out of payment.

Their claims process is a joke. For one claim I had to deal with, they insisted on supplying an alternator 'from our warehouse' instead of giving the customer a choice between OEM and aftermarket. They got a rebuilt piece of junk instead of a reliable part. (that had to be replaced a few months later) Getting approval is akin to having teeth pulled. On every claim I've handled through them, I had to wait more than a week for payment. (a decent company pays same- or next-day) Several times when I would call (when I didn't get voicemail, which never got answered), the associate would literally say 'let me see if I can find the credit card'. That mickeymouse behavior is not the kind I would recommend anyone subject themselves to.

If I haven't convinced readers against it, and you must have a great lakes 'warranty', they have their own website and you can cut out the middleman at TCB. There's no sense in spending more money than you feel you must. Personally, I'd take that $1500 you'd blow on a service contract and save it. (or go to Vegas-at least I'd have fun while pouring my money down the drain)
  • I don't believe you know what you're talking about.

I have called great lakes asking about prices for their policy and they told me straight out that they don't sell to the public, and that I had to go through a dealer or agent.

I did read my contract and they don't even use a credit card to pay claims.

Not to mention that on an earlier posting you said you bought a warranty through someone else and now your saying that you have a great lakes policy.. which is it?

I have spoke with my dealership as well, and they have worked with great lakes on claims many times and don't have any problems with them at all.
    I never said I bought a vehicle service contract from anyone.
    The last time I blew my money on a service contract was when I was 18 and bought a CD player. It was a waste of $50.

I have dealt with Great Lakes in my capacity as a service advisor at a car dealership. They are a royal pain in the you-know-what. I have read their contract because customers have given me copies of their contracts so that I can contact Great Lakes and handle their claims for them. It's the least consumer-beneficial one I've read to date.
    Now that I think about it, the last few have been 'we need to send you a check' irritations. So, you're right, they no longer do credit cards. Which is worse, because then, we have to wait a couple of weeks to get paid, as opposed to most service contracts paying within a day or two via credit card.

It's amazing the difference between what a salesman will tell you about service contracts and what a service department will. If they're in bed with Great Lakes, don't expect an honest answer from either.

Their website sure looks like they're willing to sell to the public. I won't post a link because I don't want to accidentally advertise for them.
  • Im looking 2 get warranties 4 2 vehicles... My wife's Acura and My Lincoln, Ive done some research and am finding that most of these warranties arent what they claim 2 be... Ive always had my cars covered by the manufacturer or Dealer. I wasnt 2 happy when the Dealer told me he np longer sells the Warranties 4 Ultimate Warranty Co.? I found out that they R Bankrupt or Something...SERIOUS, Well, I had a good experience with them no matter what kind of trouble they are in now and need 2 replace them with something equally as good. Ive been quoted with NationWide/US, Great Lakes and Royal Administrations. Does anyone have any experience with them? Thanks :confuse:
  • Stay away from those companies, they are Mechanical Breakdown only. That means that the part has to break completely to be covered, and trust me I was a manager for a claims department of a company that was the same and it makes a HUGE difference. Try warranty direct, not only do they cover wear and tear, they are the warranty company so you get real answers from the people that have to back it up. Add to that their reputation in the industry and the fact they sell directly thru dealers, you can't go wrong. be sure NOT to buy on price, you know the saying "you get what you pay for." well if you base a purchase on price, that can be very true!
  • I am well aware of the coverage because I have been informed by the brokers who offered all 3 companies. I have seen the contracts and am VERY interested in obtaining the "Exclusionary Coverage" by Royal OEM. It lists out what is NOT covered, So if its not listed ITS COVERED....
    What kind of quotes have you been getting for the Factory plan on the Lincoln?
  • Well, 4 the Lincoln I have been offered Great Lakes Titanium Advantage and Royal Administrations "PVP" Premier... Why do you ask? Do you have any experience with the warranty game?