Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I'm getting a 2012 Nissan Sentra SL for $19,000 OTD. Get it or should I wait until July? Thanks for all the help/info!
  • I totally forgot to mention the specs: heated leather seats, alloy wheels, sunroof, keyless entry... the only thing it doesn't have is a GPS/voice sync system that I could really use since I like to talk but I dont want to be holding my cellphone and talking while driving. The sync would've great to help me keep both my hands on the steering wheel.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    That seems like a good price. What's the price before taxes and fees?

By July, the all-new 2013 Sentra might be out. Is that what you mean by waiting for July, or would you be looking for a close-out deal on a 2012?
  • Yeah that's what I meant... so that I could get a good deal on 2012 model but the dealer said that by that time almost all of them will be sold out since they sell pretty fast (which of course he would since he's trying to make a sale). The price before the TTT and fees was $17,800.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hi folks,looking into purchasing a 2012 nissan sentra SR special edition package.msrp is $20,560.00 and includes interior accent lighting and floor mats as additional options.dealer is hinting around 17,600.00 which would include the $1000.00 rebate that's in effect through nissan.iam trying to get them down to around 17 k+TTT.with all the competition out there that the sentra competes with such as the cruze,elantra,ect...the sentra's aren't selling very well so you would think that the dealers would be willing to deal.
    What would a comparably-equipped Cruze or Elantra cost these days?

The Sentra could still be a good deal even at $3000 off MSRP. But you might find a dealer willing to go near $17k. It takes some work, and maybe some luck.

When I set out to lease a Sentra 2.0S two years ago, I scouted around re deals in my area, found the best deal I could, contacted the Internet sales manager to make sure the deal was legit and they had cars in stock, then went to the closest dealer (which I know has very good service, I've leased two other Nissans from them) and told them what I'd found and asked if they could beat it. I was looking for a low payment with sign&drive. The sales rep hemmed and hawed, then I got a call from another dealer I had talked with earlier and we had a little chat re their best price--in front of the sales rep. I told the guy on the phone the best offer I'd had to date was $189/month sign&drive for 39 months (which was true). After we talked and he gave me a better offer, I told him I'd get back to him shortly, hung up, and told the sales rep in front of me that I could get $184/month sign and drive at the other dealer, for 39 months (again true), and I was going to head over there if he couldn't beat it. So he did--$179/mo, but I had to make the first payment. I hesitated on that, since I wanted 0 out of pocket, then he offered to toss in a Garmin nav system and a portable DVD player... both of which I could use. I said, "Deal!" and we shook on it.

Dealers hate to lose a sale... especially someone who is serious and will definitely buy/lease that day, but maybe not from them.
  • Drove home a 2012 Nissan Sentra SL with leather package and SL special value packages, auto dimming mirror, splash guards, floor mats.
    Dealer stated MSRP was 23150. Dealer started email negotation at 19000+TTL. Final price 18000+TTL. (19500 OTD in texas).
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    that's $5000.00 off the msrp..not bad....but then again the sentra is not a hot seller like the elantra or chevy cruze so that's why you got a pretty good deal.
  • dhiren55dhiren55 Posts: 4
    I paid $16282 OTD. (Tax was 8% for Phila)..It included $2000 rebates. Is it a good deal???
  • navinisnavinis Posts: 2
    Just bought a Nissan sentra SL with special value package , Auto Dimming mirrors , carpet mats, splash guards and interior accent lighting for $17000 without TTL

The MSRP on the car was $21780.
  • amickeyamickey Posts: 8
    edited July 2012
    Lat day of sales quarter- 2012 2.0 BASE Auto with power everything.
    $16.9k OTD
    MSRSP was $18.5k

8.7% off MSRP OTD = good deal.
  • onecar1onecar1 Posts: 4
    $14600 after $2500 rebate during 4th of July weekend. I also bought 2012 SR with special edition pack for $15500 after $2000 ($500 bonus and $500 college grad) rebate 4th of July weekend. I took advantage of the $500 bonus for the 4th of July.

In 2011 I bought a sentra s with convenience package floor mats and splash guards for $13389 after $3000 rebate ($500 college grad+$500 bonus holiday + $1500 cash back + $500 nissan captive cash for finance).
  • miamifan1miamifan1 Posts: 6
    My new CVT Sentra SR Special Edition: I traded in a Scion XB which had negative equity of $2,000. The MSRP was $20,300 for the Nissan. I paid OTD $18,500. This price includes the Scion negative equity and PA sales tax and tags/title/docs.

It comes out to $16,000 for my $20,300 Sentra. And this is a deal my dealer offered me, without any haggling. When I went to another Nissan dealer to try and improve the deal, they didn't want any part of it. So I bought the car.

Mileage is lackluster at 25mpg (my best is a 29mpg tank on the highway with cruise set @ 68mph and my worst has been 22mpg almost all city driving), and the CVT and gutless engine are soul-less. Also, the AC is weaksauce and the stereo sounds pretty lame. And finally, the interior plastics and fit/finish are subpar compared to the Cruze, Mazda3, Focus, and even the Subaru.

The positives outweigh the negatives, in my book: the car is very quiet and smooth-riding, it looks good with all the spoilers and sunroof, it's very spacious compared to rivals, for such a cheap purchase it has a every convenience you could ever need (great navi with traffic, bluetooth, keyless go, foglights, the aforementioned sunroof), the seats are 5-hour comfortable, and I know resale is good on this car.

At the end of the day, no matter what poor fuel consumption it gets, the cheap price will always trump other more efficient cars. I'm very happy with my car.
    Is this the 2.0 engine? If so, I am very surprised you are getting only 29 mpg @ 68 mph on cruise. At that speed on a long freeway trip, my 2.0 CVT (2010) can touch 40 mpg w/o AC and upper 30s with AC. In fact, that mpg you are getting is so sub-par you might have the dealer look at the car, something might be wrong.
  • I hear what you say about the mileage I'm getting vs what you are seeing. I can't even imagine how you are able to accomplish 40mpg. Seems far-fetched to me. Are you actually calculating @ the pump? Or just going by the computer reading? I calculate @ pump.

What do I tell the dealer regarding poor fuel economy? How do I prove this so they fix it? What can they even fix, in order to improve mileage?
    When I calculate at the pump the results are very close to the computer mpg on long trips.

I just took another trip in my Sentra a week ago, about 200 miles, and got 43 mpg outbound (with the wind, no AC, more downgrades than upgrades) and 37 mpg on the return (against the wind, AC on, more upgrades than downgrades). I kept freeway speed under 70, usually around 67-68.

What I recommend you do is take a test trip with as few variables as possible. Map out a highway course that has a limit no more than 65 mph, and stay to the limit. It should be at least 10 miles one way, but longer the better. Set tire pressures to factory spec, top off the tank to first click at slowest setting at the start of the trip, get on the freeway, reset the average mpg, drive out and back at same speed (again, at the speed limit, 65 or less), use no AC if possible, use cruise unless you are skilled at driving with a light foot. Then return to the same gas station, same pump, and refill to first click on slowest setting. Also check the average mpg readout. If it is as low as you said earlier, document those results e.g. take a picture of the avg mpg readout and save your gas receipt, document the details of your test trip, and go to your dealer and ask to talk with the service manager.

There are some things that can affect FE such as a bad sensor, previous use of bad gas etc., but you should be getting a warning light for that kind of thing. The bottom line is, you should be getting much higher FE in this car than you are, given what you stated about how you drive it.
  • I'm headed to Baltimore soon, from Phiadelphia. I'm gonna follow your suggested 'test': fill tank w/regular, reset mpg computer (I typically check average mph as well), and stick the cruise @ 68mph. Additionally, I will refill before city driving occurs, in order to eliminate that variable.

Let's see what I achieve, and will post my results here.
    OK, let us know.

Another "trick" I've found helps get max FE on my Sentra (maybe in general): keep an eye on the instantaneous mpg meter as you cruise on the highway (cruise NOT on). I've found that even slight variations in gas pedal pressure make a significant difference in mpg, and I can see the effects of that on the instantaneous meter. In general, the lighter the pedal pressure, the higher the mpg, but it surprised me that what I thought was light pressure was not light enough for max FE. Using that approach, I've achieved my highest mpg results with the Sentra.

Maybe more effort than it's worth, and it's possible to overachieve the EPA highway ratings just by setting the cruise control (at reasonable speed, e.g. 70 or less), but thought I'd pass it on. At the least, you might switch to the instantaneous mpg readout on your Baltimore trip and see what kind of mpg you are getting along the way.
  • I'm posting in the fuel economy thread.
  • Just bought my Sentra 2012 with trim 2.0S. The OTD price is 15.4K. I live in Virginia.
    Is this a good deal?
  • Can you Share what the price of the car was before Tax, tags, & Lic? Also what options you had. Thanks, Larry
  • Need to buy a car for my daughter this week. Looking at Sentra S Auto with conv package, splashguards, & mats only. I live in MARYLAND. What pricing have you seen before adding TTL? I think there are other "hidden" incentives to move these cars that the dealers have because of the 2013's coming in. Thanks.
  • Paid $17,500 OTD in PA. I was able to get $750 below invoice plus $1,000 in rebate and an additional $500 in rebate if I financed through Nissan.
  • Hi I am in CT looking for a new Sentra SL 2012

Sticker I believe is 22710
    Special Value Package ($990)
    Power Sliding Glass Moonroof w/Tilt Feature
    Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors
    Cargo Net & Hooks
    Navigation System w/5" Color Touch-Screen Display
    XM NavTraffic
    Rearview Monitor
    Leather Package ($900)
    Heated Front Seats

Looking for best price out the door - CT tax is 6.35%
    currently 20,400 but thinking it s/b better as the 2013 's are here and there are some 2012's still around.
    this includes 120k Mile warranty
  • hfzeushfzeus Posts: 31
    I'm in the process of getting quotes on this car in the NY tri-state area. Just started this afternoon, but so far (just 5 quotes with many more to go), I'm at slightly under invoice before the $500 Nissan financing incentive.
    I do not mind looking much further away. The last car I bought came from MD to NY. I only had to pay $250 and saved thousands compared to local dealers.
    Anyone know of aggressive dealers for these cars?
  • Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, to get leather for $18K is pretty impressive.

If you are willing to dig, there are some great deals out there. Anderson Nissan sold a 13 SL for $16,720 (price was reported at voiceofthedriver.com)
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,662
    A 13 SL for under $17k...that's excellent! This car is a real nice looking vehicle and the interior is very classy. I just wonder how it drives because if it compares favorably to the Elantra, Nissan has a winner on it's hands. I've driven several new Elantra's and Foci the last few weeks and both drive very smoothly thought I still think the Focus is a tick behind in most categories...a great ride but still out classed by the Hyundai. If the Nissan can best these two, then Nissan will sell a ton of 'em. The resemblance to the Altima can only help sales ans I personally love the clean lines of the cars. A lot of excitement in the compact segment as of late with the new Forte here and the re-introduced '13 Civic a major improvement over the lackluster '12 offering. There's a lot of buzz about the new Corolla, still a popular model though I just can't figure it out. Drove a couple last week and the only thing I liked was the supportive drivers seat...everything else screams old tech...even the Entunes unit seemed like an after thought. Seriously, the new Corolla has to be a home run for Toyota as the Camry as good as it is, is still a snoozewmobile with as much excitement as a new refrigerator!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• kle1kle1 Posts: 8
    Bought a 2013 Sentra SL with the only option being CF (carpeted floor and trunk mat) in SoCal for $18,433 + 1000 NMAC rebate and 0% for 36 months. Essentially 17,433 + TTL for a grand total of 19,400 OTD.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,662
    That seems like a great price. the SL has leather, correct? What color did y'all get? If my Civic didn't have such low mmiles for a '06 model, I'd seriously consider this new Sentra along with the Elantra. Would be a very tough choice indeed!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Also in socal...would like to know where you purchased your car?