Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dealer Dis-Service Horror Stories

I recently had the most horrific experience I have ever had with regard to automobile repair.

I'll try to make this posting as quick and to the point as possible.

I went to the Toyota dealer where I purchased my 2003 Solara SLEv6 almost a year ago. This is
my first time owning a NEW vehicle and so I'm being extra careful in the early years and am
willing to pay the extra bucks to go to the dealer for maintenance. I know a lot about cars and
repairs and I have relatives/friends that are just as smart as the pros. I've been going to them for the
routine oil changes and tire rotations since I bought the car.

I went in for this dealerships own 15k service and I nearly fell on the floor when first told the cost
was going to be $285, but I was even willing to swallow it. The service included: oil/filter, check/service
battery, top off fluids, air filter, check wipers, etc.

The day after, I discovered that:

1) There were still remains of leaves inside the air filter canister.
2) Several battery cells were very low on water.
3) They never said or did anything about the passenger wiper blade which was obviously in need of
replacement.
4) Cooling system overflow was (still) closer to the MIN mark, as opposed to MAX mark.
5) Brake fluid container was also (still) closer to the MIN mark.
6) Windshield washer fluid container was nowhere near full.

When I went back to the dealer I learned that the mechanic had been working there for several years. I suggested
they fire him.

The service manager of the dealership really acted very calm about this whole thing. He didn't seem very
apologetic or concerned at all. He didn't indicated to me that any steps would be taken to prevent this
from happening again, or that he would take any steps to find out WHY this happened to beging with.

He gave me a fraction of the money back, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable going back there. How do I really
know that ANY of the items/checks on their list were done at all ? How do I know they even changed the oil.
 I'm going to try another dealership near me and hope for the best.

I was thinking of writing to the OWNER of the dealership OR the President of TOYOTA, but I'm not sure I want
any more aggravation. There is a part of me, though, that is so infuriated by this, and now that I've
remembered this website, I've decided to post this and see if anyone else has any ideas as to what other options
I might have and/or find out if other's have had any horrific experiences with DEALER (dis)service.

Is this typical of DEALER SERVICE ? Have you experienced anything as horrific as this ?

Comments

• vidtechvidtech Posts: 212
    there are good and not so good dealer service out there.myself,i would try another dealership.hopefully you can find a good one to build a lasting relationship with.i would not give that past dealer another chance either.
  • First off, Solaraman, good for you for checking the service work. I think shortcomings such as you experienced happen more often than is known.

As far as how you can know if they actually changed the oil, you can tell by the color if they changed at least most of it. As for the filter, you can mark it in some way, scratch your initials in the case or such, before taking the vehicle in for service. Then your after service inspection will quickly show whether the filter has been changed. I know a guy who takes the filter that he wants installed to the service appt., and takes a different brand of filter each time. Makes it easy to see whether the purchased work actually got done.
  • jono4jono4 Posts: 8
    toyota headquarters MIGHT help. I had issues with my selling dealer and they shook them up. toyota.com has an email svc and an 800#. they were responsive.
    bought the car out of state (my pontiac dropped tranny while on a trip!). only one trip to local dealer and so far so good.
    AAA always likes to know about bad people as does the better business bureau. ASE (whatever that is) certifies mechanics. A note to them might help. if you want to make trouble, there are agencies out there to help. may not get your money back, but will definitely make dealers life miserable. state's attorney general's office? most have a website with complaint forms? if they are doing a half-a..ed job of repairs, maybe they do a half-a..ed job of state inspections?! your motor vehicle office should know about this, right?
    otherwise, move on if possible to another dealer. two dealers i know of in pittsburgh, pa and rochester, ny have excellent track records.
    good luck
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,626
    Sounds like this place has problems.

Your complaints and their causes are really the responsibility of management. If a mechanic at my friends' dealership did sloppy work like that, he'd have his eyebrows torn off and the service manager would spend a very unpleasant hour in the owner's office. Customer is King. Yet just down the street is a dealership that is so bad everyone makes jokes about it up and down auto row. They just roll their eyes when they hear the newest horror story.

How can you know this first time you go to a dealership? Well you can't unless you've somehow checked their reputation.

I'd agree. Call Toyota and file a complaint but I wouldn't go back there. Having two people drop the ball on you does not sound encouraging. If it was just one mechanic having a bad day and the service manager jumped in and rectified it, I'd give them another try for sure. But this sounds pretty un-fixable without some drastic intervention.

I suppose there's no harm in writing to the owner. If he calls you and makes the whole thing right, I'd be impressed. Do not hold the proverbial breath however.
  • hank2hank2 Posts: 75
    I have a potential problem coming up with a Camry I am about to buy. I am ordering a 2003 Camry SE from the factory with ABS, because I can't get ABS on a 4 cyl in Texas.

The dealers that I've spoken with will require that I sign an Arbitration Agreement, which sounds shady for a new Camry from the factory.
    Has anyone else had this experience.

Thanx,
    Hank2

See the wording below:

Agreement to Arbitrate Certain Issues

The parties agree that disputes concerning the following matters shall be settled by arbitration in accordance with the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association: (a) Vehicle warranty, workmanship, or repair; (b) Terms of the Buyer’s order, agreement or lease, or the correctness or enforceability of such documents; (c) Representations to induce buyer to purchase or lease a vehicle, and (d) Alleged unfair trade practices, consumer statues and regulations, or punitive damages.

The parties further agree that this agreement to arbitrate shall not require seller to submit to arbitration any action by seller to collect monies due in connection with buyer’s purchase or lease of the above-described vehicle. Claims by seller shall not be stayed or delayed pending the outcome of any arbitration of buyer’s claims. In the event that the buyer asserts any claims in litigation which is covered by the above-described arbitration agreement, the parties agree that the court shall stay such claims by buyer and order that those claims be arbitrated in accordance wit the agreement.

In the event that seller is required to retain an attorney to collect money due under buyer’s contract, the seller shall be entitled to its reasonable attorneys’ fees incurred in connection with such action, including, but not limited to, all fees and expenses incurred by seller in the collection action and in compelling arbitration of buyer’s claim. Any arbitration under the agreement shall take place in Dallas. Buyer consents to the jurisdiction of the courts of Texas for the purpose of enforcing this agreement, and further agrees that Dallas shall be the only location for any such litigation.

[Note: Dallas is 30 miles away.]
    you may find this of interest:

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1206-09.htm

you might also run it past an attorney friend if you really can't just tear it up and feel obliged to sign it because you want the deal too badly.
  • hank2hank2 Posts: 75
    I appreciate that URL:

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1206-09.htm

That's a no brainer. I paid $500 down payment and signed something that said they could apply it to delivery. But if I go in and they force me to sign the Agreement. Then after I ask for my money back, I'll write an article about my experience and submit to as many newspapers as possible.

The reason I buy a Camry rather than American is Reliability. And an Arbitration Agreement makes me question if Toyota stands behind their cars.

Thanx,

-Hank2
  • FYI...I've since decided NOT to pursue this issue any further. I don't
    need the aggravation.

I am NEVER going back to that dealership for service.

I have since found another dealer near me that 'seems' to be on the level.

For my 30k service, I'm going to forego the dealership and bring my car to my
    "GOOD EGG" brother-in-law. Together, we're going to do it as a team on his
    2000 SLEv6 and my 2003 SLEv6.

One REALLY nice thing about this new place is that each of the bays have their
    own individual door and they all seem to remain open. So if/when I bring it in
    for major or semi-major repairs, I can at least remain very close to my vehicle,
    and perhaps if the mechanice responds to my charisma I might be able to engage
    in conversation with him and feel better about the work. Also, when you get to
    stand near the mechanic while he's working, you might get some good tips and
    insight into your vehicle that he otherwise wouldn't enter into the computer.

I found that bringing your car to the dealership is such an IMpersonal experience.

I had once asked the dealer "How is the mechanic going to communicate to me the
    condition of my brakes?". His response was something like "Well, only if there
    was a problem would he have noted that on the computer.".

That's not exactly what I wanted ! I would prefer that a HUMAN tell me SOMETHING !
    Even if it's a statement like "You're good for at least another 10k miles.", or
    "The pads are about half-way worn.". SHEESHHH !!!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,346
    That most mechanics...sorry...technicians, HATE IT whan a customer wants to stand nearby watching them when they work on their cars.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    isell,
    I prefer mechanic.

I have a sign in my garage, it says......
    SHOP RATES
    $65/hr if you leave.
    $75/hr if you tell me what you think.
    $85/hr if you offer suggestions.
    $95/hr if you stand and watch.
    $150/hr if you help.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    ......and $200/hr if you've already worked on it.
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    you really have to expect that there is something dorked up in a failed home project, and you'll have to take everything apart and mike every part :(

now, I thought I had everything covered when I rebuilt the tremelo amp on a Hammond M-100 organ, caps and transformers and all, which was badly burned up. when I got it all together again, $120 down the road, the organ played normally without tremelo, and then I got a huge cloud of white smoke. fortunately, cheap white smoke. discovered I missed a shorted tube in the first go-around, sigh, which caused all the problems. I'll know for sure in another $45, when the matched tubes come in this week.

haven't hosed a car up that badly since my first one, when I not only slammed the hood down on a new battery clamp and it shorted on the top bolts of that universal clamp... but when THAT was fixed, my nicely-rebuilt carb shot gas a foot in the air out the carb throat when I cranked it. turns out those cardboard gauges in the carb kits are good for something after all ;)

or, to put it in Dilbert terms... "writing is fun. someday, we hope to learn to read."
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,346
    I guess, my age shows when I use the term "mechanic" because that's the term we uesd for many years. "Technician" always remind me of a lab tech who wears a white coat.

Although I got fairly good at fixing things that weren't too complicated, I was far, far from ever being a "mechanic"

A mechanic could fix anything and I sure couldn't.

Remember the signs that were in front of some gas stations? "Mechanic on Duty"

We had one of those along with a crackerjack who, among other things, could overhaul a Quadrajet with his eyes closed!
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Posts: 766
    The secret to successful vehicle ownership is to find a dealer who is ethical both in the sales and service part of the business. Then, stay with that dealer, and become a "long time customer". Give them ALL of your preventive maintenance work.
  • wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    Not bad advice at all, but there are some of us out here that just really want an active hand in the maintenance of our vehicles. Call it a "wannabe" complex or something. Now that's where a great local independent shop comes in. You can often get some access and comaraderie that the dealers just don't seem to allow. I respect the term "mechanic" with reverence that I cannot abide with "technician." I think every master mechanic should have several technicians working for him. >:o]
    I don't think I could have survived with some of my cars if it wasn't for those really good independent shops. Not only are the prices generally lower, but you can often get good information, and you develop a rapport with them.

The only humanity I find at large dealerships is in the parts department, where it is more "one on one" and the stress level isn't so high.

There are of course always exceptions that prove the rule, as with local, family type dealerships that have been in town forever and are small enough so that you can get to know someone really well there.

If I can't get into the shop and stand under my car while it's on the rack and talk to the service writer and the mechanic and make some good communal decisions, I'm outta there.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    Time and time again I tried dealer service departments only to get dissapointed and frustrated, not to mention ripped off. I have developed great mistrust for them. It's not only a question of being impersonal or expensive so much, but an issue of honesty and ethics. These values don't seem to matter vis a vis the chance of making as much money as possible from the unsuspecting victim, the customer.

The private shop I use is family owned, and over the years I developed a good relationship with the owners. Naturally their overhead is smaller than any dealer department. So I'll bring my new Toyota to them.
  • junepugjunepug Posts: 161
    I must admit that there have been times that dealers have tried my patience. These included VW in Chicago and NJ, Volvo in NJ and TN, Ford in TN, and Jeep in TX. However, the Jeep and Toyota dealers that I frequent in NC have been excellent and the prices have not been excessive.

I guess one must keep searching for that one in a million decent dealer.
  • flgalflgal Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2004 Camry LE today, and am very distrustful of dealerships after my experiences with them searching for a new car (plus the fact they make most of their money on service anyways). How does one go about finding a good autobody shop? I am completely new to the community of car ownership. Any recommendations for the Miami area?
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 611
    Ask your friends. Just about everyone you know has had to deal with a body shop at one point or another. Ask around. If the same name pops up more than 1 or 2 times, try that shop. Two of the best shops in my area are attached to dealerships. I wouldn't buy a vehicle at either, but I would use their bodyshops.

The sales end and the service end at a dealership are different entities. Either end can be bad, but both don't have to be.