Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dealer Dis-Service Horror Stories

167891012»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,531
    It's pretty hard to break a dipstick, so it must have been defectively made---warranty item in my opinion. I would not pay for it, and if they protest, then take it elsewhere, have it repaired, and sue the dealer in Small Claims court for the repair, based on their negligence. I think you'll win.

Or tell the dealer what you're going to do and let him decide.

• burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,522
    I've had the top of a dipstick break off on me one time - on an old Suburban I had, and it was the the transmission one. I suppose it's bound to happen more often now though since they all seem to have a plastic handle bonded to the metal dipstick, not just a loop formed in the top of the dipstick.
    Now you know why so many of us do our own repairs and maintenance when we can. It's not just the cost issue. I could spend a week here telling you stories of dealer & independent shop repairs gone haywire.
  • kliquidkliquid Posts: 2
    Thank you for your suggestion!
  • bruce42bruce42 Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    I brought my 1995 Cabriolet 993 in for adjustment of my convertable top. The top was only 5 years old and in very good condition. The service shop somehow ripped a hole in the top. My guess from over adjustment of the frame itself. The hole was a 2" wide plus hole. When I confronted the service shop they did not deny that the hole was not there when I brought the car in yet they refused to fix it. I went up the ladder to the service manager, general manager and finally to the dealer Ed Napleton.

At each step of this awful journey I was met with discontent and disrepect for myself and my vehicle. They ran through every excuse in the book. My convertable top was 15 years old and was bound to rip anyway.(not realizing the top was only 5 years old), I hadn't cared for the top properly, then reverting to a total denial of we just don't think we did it.

They continued to refuse and when under threat of lawsuit actually laughed at me. Then came the ultimate in disrespect. The owner, Ed Napleton, when I began to lecture him on what I expected as a customer actually cut me off and said, and I am not kidding "Customer---your not my customer. Did you buy your car from me?"

Of course I hadn't, I had only just spent $2,000 in his service department but, obviously that didn't count as being a customer to Ed Napleton. I knew the second he said it what kind of person and dealership I was dealing with. Never again.
    edited October 2010
    Based on what you've presented here, you may have a pretty chance of recovering damages in Small Claims Court. Ask for 1/2 of what a new top costs (since you already got 5 years out of it) and see how it goes. If they don't show up at the hearing, you win. If they do show up, no doubt at great inconvenience, you may still win. And if they show up and you lose, at least you have the satisfaction of dragging them into court, at no great cost to you, and probably at some cost to them in time and aggravation.

Be sure to create a good but simple presentation, giving dates, a few photos, maybe a synopsis of the chronology and conversation.

They don't owe you the entire top, but they DID work on it, so they should contribute.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,072
    Here's the dealer's Edmunds link from searching for Porsche dealerships.

Give him a dealership review:

Ed Napleton

Here's the only other review:
    Written by mike53222 on 7/3/09 8:59:16 AM PDT
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recommend this dealer? No Purchased a vehicle from this dealer? No
    Napleton Porsche of Westmont This Dealership sells fine Porsches and pre-owned cars but don't be fooled, they'll do anything to make a quick sale even it means going back on their word. After finding a nice 2006 BMW Z4 on the internet, I drove over 2 1/2 hours to the dealership to negotiate the buy. We could not come to terms initially but I followed up with phone calls to the manager and sales person Rick Schneider. Two days later, I telephoned the salesperson and finally brokered an agreed upon price on the vehicle and offered to make a deposit via my Visa, he explained that this was not necessary, he congratulated me and said just drive down to complete the paperwork and payment. When I arrived, Rick informed me that they sold the car to someone else. I was shocked and angered! We had a verbal agreement on the sale only hours prior and he assured me the car would be on hold waiting for me. I informed him that I would drive down immediately to complete the sale, however, another buyer came in after I had called and they wanted to make a quick sale, so they did. I was never called or informed about this sale til I arrived. Over the course of 3 days I worked with this dealership to try and broker a deal. Initially, negotiations were fine, but in the end when they give you their word - trust me, it means nothing. You think may be negotiating with reputable people but you're not. After complaining to the sales manager, he just backed up his sales person and sent me on my way. I DO NOT recommend doing business with this dealership. Michael Milwaukee, WI
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I would have had them fax a contract and both sign, and take the visa as deposit....before I drove another 5 hours to get it.
  • I bought a Porsche from them recently and they did the same thing to me. I had to wait for the title for 6 weeks and end up costing me $1000 in DMV penalties and lots of time wasted calling and following up for auto repair. Plus the car was not exactly what they promised me on the phone.
  • jameslaurren: You bought a Porsche from who? Otis? http://www.otisfordsucks.com
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Your website doesn't indicate the results of the court case, how was this settled?
  • kiawah: Still fightin'! Never quit, and never give-in! http://www.otisfordsucks.com Website recently passed fifty-six thousand (56,000+) hits, and counting.....
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,273
    My BIL went to his local oil change shop for an oil change and inspection. They told him it would take an hour. After about 90 minutes the manager came out and said they had some "issues" with his car. He thought that the car had not passed inspection.

The manager informed him that the car had fallen off the lift as they were getting ready to change the oil. $2000 is the estimate so far. He suspects it will be much worse because the car has a "shimmy" when he drives it. Rocker is buckled and the front fender looks like it's been pulled forward. I suspect some suspension damage too.

The lube shop says they will pay him out of pocket if he doesn't file an insurance claim. I guess they don't want to explain to upper management how they dropped a car on the shop floor.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

Hell no, this goes through insurance, especially since the damages are currently unknown.

Think about it. If the car gets fixed and paid for "out of pocket" by the lube shop, what if your BIL drives it and finds out that it's still "not right".

What if the lube shop balks at paying out more money? This complicates things, since it's questionable whether BIL can then ask for damages from the lube shop's insurance company. Will *THEY* in turn balk?

Your BIL's insurance might handle it initially (depending on what kind of insurance he has) and then subrogate against the other insurance company or the lube shop for compensation.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,273
    "...Hell no..."

Yeah, that's what I thought when he told me but it's not my call. He did say that he got them to put their promise to pay for ALL repairs in writing.

Still...

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

Well I learned a long time ago that if you want a reputation for wisdom, find out what someone really wants to do, and then tell them to do that. :P

• I can't believe the customer service, or lack of I should say, I received from this Johnson Honda in Stuart yesterday. I was actually told, on the phone, by a "supervisor" that customers on the lot take precedence over the ones working a deal on the phone. So I guess my money is a different color. They had no problem taking my credit card over the phone for a deposit. And then sold the car out from under me because a person came on the lot interested in the same car, after I began the deal and gave my deposit. WOW! Guess a "deposit" doesn't really secure anything at Johnson Honda. I have a 2011 Accord and I can guaran-damn-tee you I will not be trading it in at Johnson. My family and friends all have Honda's and I will make sure they take their business elsewhere. I am utterly appalled at how I was treated and what I was told. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE experience!!!!!!
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Posts: 64
    Tried to get a car moved to Howell, MI location from their Ypsilanti, MI store for test drive, but salesman forgot to do it and the car sold. Went to their nearby Brighton location about a mile away to test drive a different car on 8/16/2012. Car was unsafe at highway speed but it was due to the badly worn tires. Offered $6200 for the used car with spoken price from salesman of $6995 which was supposedly their internet price. Car needed tires badly and other obvious repairs past due like timing belt. They declined our offer. Found by internet search next day same car/VIN # advertised on internet for $5995 and had been listed that way since the previous Monday 8/13. Called and spoke to person in charge of internet sales and was promised internet price. Had car delivered to my shop for evaluation of repairs. 8/17 was quoted $1538.32 for tires, timing belt, water pump, alignment, and rear brake pads, on a car that supposedly had a “safety inspection” at the dealership. CAr was to be held at the Howell location and we were waiting for purchase agreement on Monday 8/20. We were told the car was sold to someone else over the weekend. This kind of treatment after I have bought three (3) used cars and two (2) new cars from them (used 1996 Olds Silhouette, used 1998 Ford Taurus, used 2002 Chev 1500 pick-up, new 2005 Chev Mailbu Maxx, and new 2006 Chev Uplander)… and I was laughed at by their Director of Sales when I complained earlier about this current situation. Pathetic treatment and sales practices after years of doing business with these guys. Very upset and disappointed! I've seen other people complain about them posting internet ads $1000 under the sticker on the lot. Seems very scammish to me, just to draw traffic! We suspect the car was simply sent to auction. I'm buying my used cars from private sellers from now on. Forget the dealers!!!
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Try Angie's List.
  • My first nightmare with a car dealership: Better Auto Mall of Stuart, Stuart Florida. In April 2014 I flew from NC to West Palm to purchase a Jaguar S Type R Supercharged. After purchasing the car, I stayed the night in the motel. The next morning the battery was dead. The dealership replaced it. I left to go to Fort Myers and made it as far as the freeway entrance when all the lights came on. Drove back and they gave the car a tune up as it was running lean. Left and made it as far as the freeway entrance when the rear brake pads went out and I was riding on the rotors. Spent another night in the motel while they fixed the rear brakes. Left the next morning. Drove a over the 70 mph speed limit going cross state, nearly a two hour drive from Start to Fort Myers. I was headed to the Jag Dealer in Fort Myers for them to check everything over completely before heading back home to NC. The car started making strange noises in front which sounded like the bushings or something upon entering Fort Myers on Palm Beach Boulevard. Drove south on the freeway to the Colonial Exit and headed south on Six Mile Cypress. There was a game ending and the police had stopped traffic. At 5mph my drivers front wheel started falling off. I called the dealer at this point and told him what happened and he said that he could not help me as I was not there in Stuart. I told him thanks, if I had died at high speed coming across the state due to his inept mechanic, I would have hoped that my family had sued him, which he deserved. The police arrived. Sure enough, the dealership had replaced the front wheel bearing (they told me they had done so) and had not tightened the lug nuts on the wheel tight enough. Was towed in. I wonder what would have happened at high speed if my front driver's wheel had fallen off ? It turns out that this dealer is not a member of the Better Business Bureau. Thank you Motor Trend for giving me this opportunity to tell this horror story. I am glad to be alive.

167891012»