Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dealer Dis-Service Horror Stories

1121314151618»

Comments

• kiawah: Still fightin'! Never quit, and never give-in! http://www.otisfordsucks.com Website recently passed fifty-six thousand (56,000+) hits, and counting.....
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,016
    My BIL went to his local oil change shop for an oil change and inspection. They told him it would take an hour. After about 90 minutes the manager came out and said they had some "issues" with his car. He thought that the car had not passed inspection.

The manager informed him that the car had fallen off the lift as they were getting ready to change the oil. $2000 is the estimate so far. He suspects it will be much worse because the car has a "shimmy" when he drives it. Rocker is buckled and the front fender looks like it's been pulled forward. I suspect some suspension damage too.

The lube shop says they will pay him out of pocket if he doesn't file an insurance claim. I guess they don't want to explain to upper management how they dropped a car on the shop floor.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• Hell no, this goes through insurance, especially since the damages are currently unknown.

Think about it. If the car gets fixed and paid for "out of pocket" by the lube shop, what if your BIL drives it and finds out that it's still "not right".

What if the lube shop balks at paying out more money? This complicates things, since it's questionable whether BIL can then ask for damages from the lube shop's insurance company. Will *THEY* in turn balk?

Your BIL's insurance might handle it initially (depending on what kind of insurance he has) and then subrogate against the other insurance company or the lube shop for compensation.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,016
    "...Hell no..."

Yeah, that's what I thought when he told me but it's not my call. He did say that he got them to put their promise to pay for ALL repairs in writing.

Still...

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• Well I learned a long time ago that if you want a reputation for wisdom, find out what someone really wants to do, and then tell them to do that. :P
  • I can't believe the customer service, or lack of I should say, I received from this Johnson Honda in Stuart yesterday. I was actually told, on the phone, by a "supervisor" that customers on the lot take precedence over the ones working a deal on the phone. So I guess my money is a different color. They had no problem taking my credit card over the phone for a deposit. And then sold the car out from under me because a person came on the lot interested in the same car, after I began the deal and gave my deposit. WOW! Guess a "deposit" doesn't really secure anything at Johnson Honda. I have a 2011 Accord and I can guaran-damn-tee you I will not be trading it in at Johnson. My family and friends all have Honda's and I will make sure they take their business elsewhere. I am utterly appalled at how I was treated and what I was told. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE experience!!!!!!
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Posts: 64
    Tried to get a car moved to Howell, MI location from their Ypsilanti, MI store for test drive, but salesman forgot to do it and the car sold. Went to their nearby Brighton location about a mile away to test drive a different car on 8/16/2012. Car was unsafe at highway speed but it was due to the badly worn tires. Offered $6200 for the used car with spoken price from salesman of $6995 which was supposedly their internet price. Car needed tires badly and other obvious repairs past due like timing belt. They declined our offer. Found by internet search next day same car/VIN # advertised on internet for $5995 and had been listed that way since the previous Monday 8/13. Called and spoke to person in charge of internet sales and was promised internet price. Had car delivered to my shop for evaluation of repairs. 8/17 was quoted $1538.32 for tires, timing belt, water pump, alignment, and rear brake pads, on a car that supposedly had a “safety inspection” at the dealership. CAr was to be held at the Howell location and we were waiting for purchase agreement on Monday 8/20. We were told the car was sold to someone else over the weekend. This kind of treatment after I have bought three (3) used cars and two (2) new cars from them (used 1996 Olds Silhouette, used 1998 Ford Taurus, used 2002 Chev 1500 pick-up, new 2005 Chev Mailbu Maxx, and new 2006 Chev Uplander)… and I was laughed at by their Director of Sales when I complained earlier about this current situation. Pathetic treatment and sales practices after years of doing business with these guys. Very upset and disappointed! I've seen other people complain about them posting internet ads $1000 under the sticker on the lot. Seems very scammish to me, just to draw traffic! We suspect the car was simply sent to auction. I'm buying my used cars from private sellers from now on. Forget the dealers!!!
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Try Angie's List.