Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dealer Dis-Service Horror Stories

Comments

• autodrautodr Member Posts: 27
    Hey Mark, I watched a couple of those videos. Are you aware that your insurance company is the one who makes the decision to install used crash parts? The body shop is only doing what your insurance company said to do. That is normal business in body shops.

Also, are you aware that cars aren't really square from the factory brand new? I saw them checking the squareness of the body... but you know, many vehicles will prove not square if you do that to them. Did the shop that measured that for you also give you the specs on what is allowed? Did you take that car to a shop before the wreck to see how square the body was? Of course not, no reason to... right? I think you might have been surprised if you had.

Just thought I'd let you know. Take care.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I had to ready your first post twice!

That is INSANE and about as unprofessional as anything I have ever heard of!

As far as damages, at the VERY least, they owe you an interior detail and a tank of gas.

I would write a detailed letter to the owner of that store!
  • sinsel1212sinsel1212 Member Posts: 4
    UPDATE: The dealership has offered my next 3 maintenance visits, 18k, 24k, and 30k "on the house". I am waiting to get the exact details of what each visit contains, but the service manager says it is over $900 in billable services. I assume this means oil change, fluids, spark plugs at 30k, .... typical recommended maintenance. Also, they claim the guilty party was dismissed.

Is this enough of atonement, or should I demand more and attempt to litigate if neccesary?
    If it were me, I would accept their offer and get on with life.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    That sounds like good advice to me.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I agree.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sure, it's an admission of guilt basically, so no sense grinding them into the dirt.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    What about the assistant service manager, was he fired for lying to you... or just the mechanic who test drove your car? I'd check to make sure the responsible party was fired. You don't know who was responsible for the test drive... they could just be giving you a line, like they did the first time.

I probably wouldn't want to do business with this "establishment". How the heck can you trust them in the future. I would ask for the $900 in billable services in cash. Threaten litigation, then accept maybe $600 in cash... sounds fair.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Jipster,

I think what you have suggested would fall into the catagory of "ginding them into the dirt"

For crying out loud, life is short!
    I think what you have suggested would fall into the catagory of "ginding them into the dirt"

If sinsel wants to continue doing business with this dealership, then 3 free maintence services would be just compensation. If he doesn't want to do business with this dealership anymore... then what is just compensation? I think a dollar a mile and money for a tank of gas is justified... certainly not grinding into the dirt.

Personally, after the stunt the dealership pulled I wouldn't want them touching my car again. Would opt out for the cash option and take it somewhere else.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    You are entitled to your opinion.

I would rather focus my attention on more important things in life and move on.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    sinsel: I guess it depends on how comfortable you feel with the service manager and that dealership working on your car. If you do go this route, get it in writing on dealership letterhead or have them put it into their computer system. This is to protect against if the service manager were to leave.

I do agree that life is short. The service manager basically admitted guilt and is offering an olive branch.
  • sinsel1212sinsel1212 Member Posts: 4
    I accepted the maintenance package and also made them to agree to fix a small scrape where I was sideswiped. If I decided to take them to court, the don't think it would have been worth my time and effort for some small cash.

I'm moving on, with a lesson learned.

Remember folks -- watch that mileage when you take it in for service. Thanks to all who responded, and provided their opinion.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    "...I would rather focus my attention on more important things..."

I'm sorry Isell but I have to agree with Jipster on this on. I wouldn't let my car within 100 miles of that dealer. How would you know that they wouldn't do the same thing again when you brought your car in for those free services?

And how about the emotional damage done to this customer? I'm sure he has nightmares about Johnny Greasespot beating the hell out of his car while eating big Macs and fries. I mean really, there's a lot of potential for abuse in 420 miles.

Personally, I'd call the cops and have someone arrested for unauthorized use of my car. I don't believe for a minute that they fired any body.

I heard a story once of a dealer who would loan out one customer's car to the next customer in a daisy-chain scam. He got away with it for awhile until a guy who had another customer's car as a loner totaled it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

It's a CAR. Just a car.

I guess the poster could sit around and wring his hands thinking of what "might" have happened to his car.

I guess the same thing "could" happen when he brings it back for those free services. What are the chances of that?

In the vast realm of things this is a pretty small thing, really.

You bet I wuld be ticked and I would let the world know about it.

And then I would move on with life and worry about more important things.

But, that's me...
    The indignation is understandable, but one must be careful not to cut off one's nose to spite one's face---by isolating oneself from the dealer's resources, one could end up driving further, going somewhere worse, or causing resentment in return by rejecting the good offer. If this behavior were epidemic at the dealer they wouldn't be in business very long. Personally I view the offer of compensation as a positive sign of the dealer's desire to improve his business.

A crook wouldn't even bother; if anything he would try to intimidate you.
    Personally I view the offer of compensation as a positive sign of the dealer's desire to improve his business.

Quite possible it's a sign the dealer wants to keep its name off the 6 o'clock news. It was a smart business decision for the manager to make the offer he did. He was presented irrefutable evidence, by sensel, that the car had been abused.
    The alternative was taking the chance the issue would end up in court or the local news.. as it surely would have made an interesting feature story.

Show me official documentation that the mechanic was indeed fired, then it's a different ballgame. But, I sure wouldn't take the managers word for it.
    I wouldn't care if he was fired or not, I would move on and find something more important to focus on.

This is small stuff. The local TV station wouldn't get involved in such a trivial manner and yes, it is trivial!
  • humblecoderhumblecoder Member Posts: 125
    This is small stuff. The local TV station wouldn't get involved in such a trivial manner and yes, it is trivial!

I guess you don't watch much local news, do you? 99.99% of the local news is trivial !! :)

Personally, I would think that the local news would eat this type of story up!
  • rtsmolicrtsmolic Member Posts: 1
    my 89 camry (211,000+) runs well when its cold, once it warms up it will stall when im ideling at a red light or a stop. It starts right up again but it will do this again. also, after this happens it will also stall as im driving(30+) mph! Help, im fresh out of ideas and need an answer, please. thanks.
    Whoops! Wrong topic.

Hey why don't you try this question in our new "Answers" section!

http://answers.edmunds.com/default.aspx
  • danielldaniell Member Posts: 128
    I have had two recent bad experiences with Honda East in Cinti.

The most recent one, i requested a quote for a timing belt replacement on my 98 Civic with 66k miles. They quoted me over the phone $559 + tax. I happened to talk about it with a friend, and he mentioned he had gotten a quote of $469 + tax. I called the dealership, and they said the difference is some "belt kit" (alternator, AC, power steering) which i had not requested, and the service advisor "jennifer" did not mention over the phone.

An older story - I had the front wheel bearings replaced about a year ago (a horror story on its own, with multiple trips etc.), and soon after that i noticed a rumbling noise at speeds of 30-45 mph. Went for a check, the dealership charged me $35 and the diagnostic was "could not replicate". Got the mechanic in the car with me, and all of a sudden he could hear the noise. They then lifted the car and showed to me what they said was tire asymetry (tires had low miles on them) and convinced me i needed new tires. I had new tires installed, wheels balanced, and also had the car aligned. Surprise surprise, the rumbling noise is still there.
    You can also post this in our Dealer Review Section!

http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html
    They then lifted the car and showed to me what they said was tire asymetry (tires had low miles on them) and convinced me i needed new tires. I had new tires installed, wheels balanced, and also had the car aligned. Surprise surprise, the rumbling noise is still there.

I would ask for a full refund on the labor. The dealership "fixed" something that wasn't broken. They shouldn't profit from it.
    Unless those belts have been replaced recently, it would be very foolish not to replace them while they are "in there". The belts have to come off anyway so there would be no additional labor.

Also, replacing that 10 year old water pump while everything is apart would be a no brainer...do it!
    I called the dealership, and they said the difference is some "belt kit" (alternator, AC, power steering) which i had not requested, and the service advisor "jennifer" did not mention over the phone.

I agree with Isell; replacing belts on a transverse engine can be a pain, and if your Honda is still on its original set they are due for replacement.

Got the mechanic in the car with me, and all of a sudden he could hear the noise. They then lifted the car and showed to me what they said was tire asymetry (tires had low miles on them) and convinced me i needed new tires. I had new tires installed, wheels balanced, and also had the car aligned. Surprise surprise, the rumbling noise is still there.

That is simply poor diagnostic practice on their part. My wife's 528iA had a low frequency vibration at 20-40 mph. My local dealer fitted a known good set of tires/wheels and eliminated the tires as the source. It turned out to be the driveshaft, which was replaced under warranty. The jokers you dealt with aren't mechanics- they are part replacers who are are simply guessing and throwing your money at the problem.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >and throwing your money at the problem.

Great way to phrase what's being done to the customer. :sick:

Car repair is primarily diagnosis--not parts replacement--paraphrasing Steve O, a Cincy auto tech with a great radio car repair show.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The jokers you dealt with aren't mechanics- they are part replacers who are are simply guessing and throwing your money at the problem.

Well, what is one suppose to do? After the fact that is. If a mechanic say's this is the problem, you pay $950 to fix it... you drive away and the problem is still there??? I would say a refund is in order.

Now, if a mechanic says it could be a number of things, and starts out with what he thinks is wrong... and the problem is still not fixed, then I'd say you were out of luck, that you understood the risk involved.
    I would say a refund is in order.

I agree.

Car repair is primarily diagnosis--not parts replacement--paraphrasing Steve O, a Cincy auto tech with a great radio car repair show.

I had installed a rebuilt alternator on my Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, and one day the charging light came on when I started the car at lunch. I drove over to my indie garage and told one of the techs that my alternator was most likely shot. He popped the hood and almost immediately found a broken ground wire. Five minutes and $5 later I was back on the road.

• 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    He popped the hood and almost immediately found a broken ground wire. Five minutes and $5 later I was back on the road.

So do you go to that shop now for repairs?
    If not, why?
    So do you go to that shop now for repairs?
    If not, why?

Yes, I've been a customer for over twenty years. It is the only shop that I use for my domestic vehicle(s).

• jstawskijstawski Member Posts: 11
    I drove through a knee high flooded street and the car stall. I pushed the car to my house (I was very close) and the next day I called the towing company. We inclined the car and let the water come out of it. I started the car and stepped on the gas to get the water out. About a bucket full of water came out. The car ran, but the check engine light came on and the RPMs are between 600-800.
    This morning I took the car to the dealership service and they called me telling me they have to add a new engine! Yep, you read it right! According to them one of the cylinders was locked or something like that and i'm running on 4 cylinders. I trully believe they want to screw the Insurance Company, which eventually will screw me. Therefore I told them I wanted a second opinion and I will take the car somewhere else. They told me it is ok, but they have to put the engine back together and they will charge me for it. Can they do that? Is that legal?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    If you got water into the engine, you'll undoubtedly be replacing the engine.....and many other things. Water doesn't compress, air does. So if water gets into the cylinder and the piston tries to compress it, it will 'lock' and prevent the piston from moving. If the engine's other pistons turn the crankshaft, something will break causing significant damage potentially.

I'm not sure I'd want to keep that car, I'd suspect you'll have many problems for years...including electrical problems.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Yep, if you got into so much water that the water came into the air intake and just a small amount was actually pulled into the engine, into a cylinder, you have a 'hydrolic lock'. The water doesn't vaporize like gasoline, and water is pretty much uncompressable. So, you have a cylinder come up and with the water in there, is about like having a rock in the cylinder. You could have broken/bent a connecting rod. Bent valve springs. Lots of bad stuff.

You should not have driven into the water.

You should never have attempted to re-start the car after getting it out of the water. Of course, the damage might have been already done, when you first drove into the water.

And yes, if you took it in and asked for a diagnoistic, and signed off on it, they could have to take at least part of the engine apart to determine this.

In this case, I don't think the shop is messing with you, or the insurance company. I really think you need to be talking with your insurance company now. You don't seem to know much about automobile mechanics, and the insurance company is going to be involved with this whole thing anyway, so why are you not having them involved??????
  • jstawskijstawski Member Posts: 11
    Thank you guys for your replies. I weighted all my options and I got the insurance company involved last night. I will be getting a call from claim expert this morning.
  • mikdowlingmikdowling Member Posts: 3
    IMPORTANT MESSAGE!

There seems to be a problem with what your auto shop is doing.
    Let us look at the modus operandi of what happened.
    1. You take your car into the shop and tell them that you drove through relatively deep water.
    2. They examine the car and contact you and tell you that the engine is totalled and a new one is needed.
    3. You ask for a second opinion (quite correct in my view)
    4. They tell you that they will have to charge for rebuilding the engine.
    5. Rebuilding what though?

Any engine which has possibility of water damage should be dealt with as follows:

Remove spark plugs from engine.
    Turn engine over - get workmate to see if water gushes out of any cylinders.
    If it does then mechanic contacts owner and says that there has been water in the engine and would they like them to examine it further.

If the car is a diesel engine then the glow plugs are removed and same process followed.

This is basic level 1 mechanics. I know because I teach this at the college I work at, maybe they were off on that day.
    Charging ME??

Who should they charge?

You are the one who drove through deep water and THEN attempted to start the car. The others here and the shop have already told you what happens to an engine when you do this.

I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance company balks at paying to have your engine rebuilt under these circumstances.

There is also a good possibility that the water has damaged other components and gotten into your transmission too. Not a good thing.

Good luck.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ....I agree that the dealer made a mistake and some compensation is due, any judge will rule that the fact that , you, the customer got new tires,aligment etc,you are the one receiving the benefit for free if you get a refund. Most likekly in litigation you will be refunded what ever is judged to be the dealer's profit on the job.
    Case in point my naeighbor a few years ago ago got his house painted while on vacation, I mentione to my wife that he never said anything about it but I took it on stride,well the paint job was a mistake the house that should have been painte was in another block. The judge ruling was that the painting company will be deprived of any profits from the job but my neighbor had to pay for labor and materials,,based on...you guessed it...my neighbor could not benefit from the house having a fresh paint job...it sounds crazy but that is the way most judges will look at this., if there is any litigation..
  • fastpixiefastpixie Member Posts: 2
    Hello all. I am new here and need some advice. I recently purchased a used car from my local Saturn dealership. I test drove the car the day before I bought it and except for the brakes everything seemed to be fine. I requested they run a diagnostic on it and as I suspected it needed new brake pads, so they put new ones on for me. I asked if anything else was wrong with it and was told that it was in great condition. The day after I brought it home it would not shift properly and a horrible squealing noise came from under the hood. The day after that I could not turn the key in the ignition half the time and when I finally did the car would die. I tried jumping the car off 5 different times and it would not start. The dealership towed the car back to their shop on their dime and ran another diagnostic. Turns out it needs a new motor mount, a new battery, a new belt and work on the ignition. I was blatantly lied to by the man who sold me the vehicle. Granted, it was a used vehicle but this is ridiculous. I paid 3K cash for this vehicle and that money was extremely difficult for me to come by because I am on a limited income and do not qualify for financing. I have played phone tag with the salesman's immediate supervisor as well as the receptionist and the shop tech. Supposedly the general manager is reviewing it for me but I have yet to hear anything. It has been almost a week since they towed it back. I am very very angry about this and any advice any of you could offer me would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I am in Texas and the car is a 2000 Saturn S-series sports coupe
    Did you purchase the vehicle "as is"? If so, there's no warranty. Did you ask if you could have the car inspected by another shop prior to purchase?

Well aside from the motor mount, the other items could very well have failed without prior knowledge of the salesman or the dealer in question. The battery could have died during all those jump starts, the ignition just went south, as they often do, and the slipping belt---well no big deal one way or the other.

So yeah, the diagnosis might have been careless but proving they had foreknowledge of these defects---well, good luck.

If the dealer won't step up to help you, your only recourse might be Small Claims Court, to throw yourself on the sympathies of the judge---but legally, "as is" means just that. Sometimes a Small Claims suit...just filing one...jolts a dealer's memory as to past faults.

But you also have to take at least some responsibility for not having this car checked out by an independent garage prior to purchase. Some of these defects might have been spotted, though I doubt all of them.
  • fastpixiefastpixie Member Posts: 2
    No I did not have it inspected by an independent prior to purchase and it was purchased 'as is'. However, the GM spoke to me today and told me that they will repair whatever is currently wrong with it on their dime but anything else that goes wrong after I take it back will of course be my responsibility and I'm fine with that. A good friend who is very knowledgable about vehicles is going with me to the dealership in the morning to take a look at it himself. The thing I don't understand is if they supposedly ran a full diagnostic on the vehicle the day before I purchased it, wouldn't they have caught these things then? They were also supposed to give me a Carfax report which I have yet to receive
    A diagnostic can't predict the future. They should have caught the bad motor mount but as for the ignition key getting weird or the battery going dead, well stuff happens on an old car, at any time.

But I'm glad they are stepping up to fix things for you. It was the right thing to do.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    And what will you do if the carfax report shows the vehicle had been in an accident. You already bought the car. The time to understand any accident history is prior to signing on the line, agreeing to purchase, and handing over your hard earned cash.
    Your original post said the vehicle wouldn't "shift properly". Is the dealership going to overhaul your transmission?
    Besides, a car can still have had a number of serious accidents and it won't show up on CARFAX. If a car buyer thinks CARFAX offers complete peace of mind, think again.

It's better than nothing, however.

Will you guys kill me if I tell my Miata story AGAIN?

Friend's car---was hit 3 times in three years, for a total of $18,000 damage. CARFAX report is clean, to this day.

Fortunately, the car now races Spec Miata so the prior damage is irrelevant to the new owner.
  • hughohugho Member Posts: 2
    On Thursday, May 1, 2008, I brought my Shelby GT 500 Mustang into Chino Hills Ford in response to a recall for airbag deployment-Restraint Control Module reprogram, a 5000 mile oil change and a few Warranty-related issues: check 1st gear synchronizer, check headlight alignment, trim pc. of plastic label off left front tire, and check "tire pressure" warning light. The car had 5097.9 mi. on it when I left it. (Service Ticket notes 5097 mi.)
    I was quoted $26.95 for the oil change, and told that the car would need to be kept over night.
    On Friday, May 2, I received a call from the Service Mgr., telling me that I had been misquoted on the oil change price, as the required 5W-50 Synthetic Oil was quite expensive. He compromised on the mistake, telling me that he would charge me "Employee Price-$58.00, as opposed to the normal price of $84.00. I agreed.
    I went in to pick the car up on Monday, May 5. I went to the Cashier to pay, as required, before getting my car. I received a bill for $84.00!!!!! I asked what it was for and she said it was for the oil change. I told her I was promised a price of $58.00-she called Mr. Keith in-we recalled our conversation, he called it a "communication error", said he would fix it. The new bill came to $75.00. I went ballistic-why do these people continue to play these games? He finally relented and reduced the charge to $58.45, which I paid, and had my car brought up front. The first thing I did was check the odometer-I paid particular attention to the mileage "as dropped off" because it is a high performance vehicle and didn't want anyone playing with it. The mileage was 5116.5!!!!! 19.5 miles had been put on the car!!! I shut the engine off and found the Service Mgr., asked him to explain why 19.5 mi. had been put on the car while in their care. His explanation was "road testing"-that three technicians had to road test it!!! HUH??? For what-an oil change? Reprogramming a computer module? Checking the 1st gear synchronizer? Checking the headlight alignment? I asked the Service Mgr. for the name and number of the Ford District Manager-he said he couldn't give it to me, gave me an 800 number for the Ford Customer Relations Center. I called this number, and talked to some kid in Florida, who told me that he would pass the info along; he couldn't tell me what would be done, who would see it, but did say that I probably wouldn't get a call back from Ford. He couldn't give me the name of the District Manager either, said it could be obtained from any Ford Dealership (apparently not Chino Hills Ford!!). This call was a complete waste of time.
    I also asked another Dealership’s Fleet Manager for the District Manager’s contact info-he asked what I wanted to talk to him about-he didn’t want me calling if I was upset-HUH????
    I talked to the Owner of a speed shop specializing in Mustangs-he has a GT500 with a Whipple blower, bigger throttle body, intake package, headers, etc., putting out 798 HP to the rear wheels!!! He brought his in to a Dealership for Service-found that 112 miles had been put on his!
    Any advice?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Not sure what the 1st gear synchronizer is but if it had anything to do with re-programming a computer module and possibly a learning process, I can see where a test drive is necessary. 19 miles doesn't seem that excessive to me.

Why not find out what the repair procedures is for the warranty work before getting bent out of shape?
    Just forget it and take your business to another dealer, or if there is no other dealer, write to the president of the dealership expressing your dissatisfaction and asking him call you.

There's really nothing you can do here anyway, so you might as well try for an apology and forget about it.