Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cleaning Leather/Cloth Interiors

Comments

• ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 508
    Lexol does not leave any slick residue at all. I don't know how it does for UV protection, but I'd think as long as you condition it often, and use a sunshade when parked, it would be okay.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I ended up buying the Leather Master kit and it does not leave the leather shiny at all. I discovered Griot's Garage after buying the Leather Master and would have bought their product to see how it works.
  • megmcq1megmcq1 Posts: 1
    My mother just did that to me. Any suggestions?
  • adloganadlogan Posts: 1
    I have a friend who has tan leather seats in her car. She placed a Michelin tire on her backseat for a couple of days when the weather was warm. When she removed the tire, the Michelin name was permanently imprinted into her leather seat. Is there anyway that this imprint can be removed? :cry:
  • goldygirlgoldygirl Posts: 11
    I have a cigarette burn in the drivers seat, my seat is tan cloth in 2006 Hyundai Elantra.
    Please advise me how to fix this.
    Thanks,
    Goldygirl
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    There are vinyl/leather patch/repair kits sold in Walmart and auto parts stores. Very reasonable price - $10 or so.

There are several colors in each kit. You will have to mix and attempt to come to a match for your interior.

These kits work pretty well.
  • goldygirlgoldygirl Posts: 11
    Will they work on cloth interiors?
    Thanks,
    Goldygirl
    I don't think that will work on cloth.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Sorry, I missed the part in the title that said 'cloth'.

No, I agree that these repair kits will not work on cloth.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,919
    buy a no-name tire and put in on the seat? sorry, couldn't resist. :)
  • dkipferdkipfer Posts: 3
    My front driver's seat has what appears to be 'scorch' marks in the leather from the seat heater. I find it hard to believe that that is what it is--- I'm thinking it is more of a dye transfer from clothing or something. Has anyone had experience with this and how do I best go about removing it?
    You must have a light colored leather. I find it hard to believe it would be the heater too. Try some saddle soap or a good leather cleaner.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,648
    Could also be sun damage--rare but possible. I tend to think the dye transfer theory is correct.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

It is light beige or tan and the marks are dark brown or blackish. How aggressive can you be trying to clean a mark like that without making the cleaned area stand out from the rest of the seat?
    Well, as they always say... test it in an inconspicuous area first. Of course, that doesn't do much good if the discoloration isn't there!

I've never had to clean anything like that so I'm not much help. Saddle soap shouldn't do any damage though. You can always take it to a reputable detail shop and ask for their advice.
  • mmkatmmkat Posts: 1
    hi.. can anyone help me..? does anyone know who can *actually* clean and repair leather seats..? i have an Acura TSX and i hired some people who *knew* how to clean leather seats... and guess what happened.
    please.. it´s so urgent. the seats are 'sticky' and i dont know what to do. thanks!! :-) :blush:
  • jacky123jacky123 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have this problem few time, it's that when I try to start the car, the ignition key, the steering wheel and the shift got locked up, I cannot move any of them into a different position?

Does anyone has any clues about this problem.
    For the last few time, I tried to keep moving things around, and then it will fix the problem.

Thanks for any input.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    Just out of curiosity, why are you posting this in "cleaning cloth/leather interiors?"
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,648
    hi Jacky,

you need to cut and paste your question into this link:

Rav4 Repair and Maintenance Topic

MrShiftright
    Host
    Carspace.com Forums

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

This can happen easily if your wheels are turned at an angle when the engine is shut down. The pressure has to be relieved off the steering wheel before the ignition can be turned. Try turning the wheel until you feel some resistance and then turn it a little harder-- while you are holding the wheel tightly turned, the ignition should turn freely and once the engine starts you will feel the wheel relax as the power steering kicks in.
  • I'm about to pull the triger on a 07 Honda EXL V-6 Accord and am wondering if I should go with Gray or Ivory Leather for the interior?? I've never had leather in a vehicle before and LOVE the look of the ivory, but am afraid it won't be practical?? Any thoughts, thanks!
    Go with whatever makes you happy. Personally, I much prefer gray over ivory... the darker, the better for me. However, if you "LOVE" the ivory, go for it. There are many products on the market for protecting and cleaning the leather so don't let that be a concern. Don't you want to be happy every time you climb inside? :)

What color is the outside?
  • I can't agree with you more. So I will be driving my Honda this thursday that is glack with ivory leather interior. I figure I'm pretty safe as it will be garage kept, no kids, just a dog - no bigee as I can cover the seats.
    Thanks!
    Great... Congrats! You will love the car.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    There is a 2004 Jeep Liberty in my fleet. The driver was a heavy chain smoker and the cloth interior completely reeks of cigarette smoke. Does anyone have any good ideas as to how to minimize the smoke smell before sending off to auction or selling privately?
    I'm sure you would want to clean all the cloth, carpet, headliner, etc. first. Then you might try this product: Odor Absorber Tub

I've never used it but you can call their 800 number and see what they say. Their Interior Cleaner is great.
  • Try www.autopartsway.com. They have tons of Oldsmobile accessories. I've used them in the past, and was always happy with their products.
    Wow! That post is over three years old. I wonder if he still has the car. :D
  • mirde98mirde98 Posts: 95
    Hello there. I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer SE with a combination of Alcantara fabric and vinyl sides. I've look for Alcantara cleaners but no luck. All other products will damage Alcantara. What can i use? Thanks!!!!
    I've never heard of Alcantara but a quick search gave me this: world.alcantara.com

There is a section that talks about maintenance and stain removal. You can read my previous posts about my favorite interior cleaner. I have no idea if it will damage the Alcantara but you can call and find out.