Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I am in the process purchasing an X3 3.0 with Premium Package, Zenon, privacy rear windows, leather, heated seats. I live in the Washington DC area. A local dealership quotes me $43K for the car - I don't believe this is a good deal at all. Could anyone comment on this? Thanks.
  • I was quoted prices 3 ways for a 2005 X3 3.0 (in Westchester county, NY):

$38,000 w/Xenon,Park Dist,Privacy glss,Cargo net

$39,770 for above + nav (or premium but not both)

$41,500 for above + premium

I think I can bring the price down a bit more since I am not in any real hurry. Besides, I am still dithering 'coz a Lexus dealership I had visited late Sept decided to get proactive and offer me a great price on a 2005 loaded RX330. Sigh. Talk about indecisions. Well, at least I know who I am voting for ;-)
  • bmwksrbmwksr Posts: 5
    This request is for kyfdx:

I am planning to buy a used BMW X3 3.0 and no experience in buying used cars. help me with the pricing.

1. Used BMW X4 3.0, premium pkg, privacy glass and 11000 miles on it. What price might be reasonable to pay?
    2. This car is in some other place,if it is BMW certified is it reasonable to purchase the car without looking or driving it? i would like to trust the sales person but all my friends are warning me. please advise.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,237
    Is it at a BMW dealer? If so, ask him to fax you the vehicle history report and a CARFAX. The vehicle history report will have the warranty expiration date, options on the car, and any service done on it..

I really have no idea on price.. I would try to compare it to what you could buy a brand-new '04 for.. and subtract at least $4K-$5K.

If it is CPO, the only thing I would worry about is previous accident history.. I still wouldn't buy long distance and have it shipped.. I would fly in and drive it back.. and reserve the right to cancel the deal upon inspection of the car.

How far away is the car?

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Hello kyfdx,
    Thanks for your prompt response and advise.

1. yes..this is owned by a BMW dealer. I checked Car fax with the vin number and no accident reports are there.

2. yes it has a CPO. She said it is a Demo extension warranty and CPO. it is 1500 miles away from me.

3. What might be the price..2004 x3, with premium package, privacy glass and 11000 miles. she is asking 36K.

Will await for your advise.
    My first inclination.. The price is a little high.. A brand new '05 would only MSRP for about $41K.. Granted, you can't buy it for $36K, and it won't have the extended warranty, but it would be brand-new and one model year newer, as well.

I'm not necessarily against going out of town to find a car (I've done it myself), but 1500 miles is a long way.. Too far to fly in and get it home the same day.. Almost too far to make it home the next day. If you have to pay to have it shipped, that is even more money..

Buying a new car from halfway across the country is one thing.. New cars are basically all the same... but, buying a used car without being able to drive and see it first...

I think I would pass on this deal.. Not worth going that far unless it is a screaming deal.. Unless you have a short time-frame, you might wait until there are plenty of '05s on the lot and then shop around...

Just my $0.02.... I've been wrong before.

regards,
    kyfdx

Thanks and I planned to let it go. I found one more and is a similar one and following are the details.

1. BMW dealer, 2004 X3 3.0, premium package,privacy glass, metallic

2.mileage:7000, asking price $35K, CPO vehicle.

3. Again the deal is it is 1800 miles from my place.

4. I checked the Carfax, No scary things on the report

and...will follow the routine. will await for your advise.

Thanks alot for your help.
  • pjo1966pjo1966 Posts: 124
    Here's a deal I was offered. It doesn't seem to add up...

2004 X3 3.0
    Steptronic
    Leatherette
    Metallic Paint
    Privacy Glass

MSRP $41,245
    Residual 59%
    Residual Value $24,334.55
    Cap Cost $38,740
    Cash Cap Reduction $4958.12
    Trade Allowance $-7758
    Bank Fee $725
    Adjusted Cap Cost $42,264
    Term 36
    Rate .00065
    Total Monthly Payment $586.00
    Base Monthly Payment $541.34
    Cap reduct Tax 8.25% $409.04
    Use Tax $ 8.25% $ 44.66
    DMV Fee $307
    CA Tire Fee $5
    Customer Cash Down $6265.16

They swore up and down that they were not rolling negative equity into the loan, but it just doesn't add up. I know it's a bad deal just because the difference that would need to be paid to get out of my current lease would not be justified by the total monthly payment, which would be identical to my current lease payments. I was just wondering how they came up with these figures. My payoff is $35,250 and they said they could offer me $28,000.

Thanks...
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    I'm not a leasing expert, but I think they can argue that they're not putting negative equity in the new deal by virtue of your "cash down" being approximately equal to the "trade allowance". I don't know if it is a good deal or not, but the numbers look kosher to me.

- Mark
    Trade allowance: -$7758
    Cap cost reduction: $4950

You are paying $4950 of your negative equity off and they are rolling the other $2800 into your lease..

Is your current vehicle leased or do you own it? Unless you are just dying to get out of it, I'd keep driving it.. That is a big hunk to swallow.

Also, it looks like they are bumping up the money factor in lieu of a security deposit.. In the long run, you are better off making the security deposit and using the base MF (.0005).

Their numbers look accurate on the lease, but you are paying $7758 to get out of your current car.. I just wouldn't do that, but that is up to you.. Bargain hard.. if you are going to do this, every dollar you save is going straight into your pocket..

regards,
    kyfdx

1800 miles!! Jeepers, where do you live, Alaska?

I like the low mileage... Again, have them fax you the BMW vehicle history report.. There are a lot of things that don't show up on a Carfax, but if they have done any maintenance or mechanical work, it will show up on the BMW report.

Seriously, how far away is the closest BMW dealer?

regards,
    kyfdx

I don't understand why people feel the need to lie. I told them up front and several times thereafter that if the gap between what I owed and what I could get was too great I would have to wait. Under no circumstances did I want to roll negative equity into a new loan. They swore they were not doing that.

In answer to your question, kyfdx, It's a 5 year lease... a big mistake that I'm trying to get out of. Now that I know that the trade-in is going to be too expensive I'm attempting to sell it privately to close that gap.
    It must be a fairly new car... If you drive it a couple of years, the amount to get out of it may be less.. Getting out of a bad deal is sometimes more expensive than just completing it.

But, if you can get more $$ by selling it yourself, then that is the way to go... If not, eventually you will break even (when the lease is up).

Good luck,
    kyfdx

It's a 1-year old red Infiniti FX35. I have many reasons for wanting out of the deal, all of them having to do with the company. If I can make it work I'll move ahead. If not... I'm still driving a great car.

kyfdx...could you please give me an idea of what my payments should be for the following...

2004 BMW X3 3.0
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Metallic Paint
    Steptronic
    Leather
    Premium Sound
    Satellite Prep.

I'd like to put as little down as possible, just first payment and whatever fees would be due for leasing in Los Angeles.

Thanks again for your help and input.
    Give me the MSRP

I knew I forgot something...

MSRP $41,125
    I'll assume a similar discount to the example you gave above..

MSRP $42,125
    Selling price $38,600
    Cap cost $39,125 (selliing price plus Acq.fee)
    Residual 59% (36mo/36K)
    Money factor .0005
    Payment approx $446 + tax (approx. $37) = $483/mo.
    Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit, title and license.. Should be around $1200-$1300

regards,
    kyfdx

Perfect... thanks.
    Hi kyfdx,

I live in colorado and the vehicle is in Newyork area. so..it is 1800 miles.

I received vehicle history and it is only one page with the details of the car and warranty. No items of maintenance or none so ever.

A BMW dealer is located 10 miles from my home.

I am having limited dough..so..i have to buy it with in that range ( 34k is my budget).

If i see the edmunds.com...then the invoice price for x3 3.0 is $33195+ Premium pkg price $1800 +privacy $345 + metallic paint $475 =$35815)

so..it make sense to get a new one..if they give it for the invoice price.

what is your view on this?
    You probably won't find one for invoice.. Figure closer to $37.5K-$38K for a new '05.

For a car with only 7K miles, it might not have had any maintenance yet.. 1st maintenance is scheduled for 15K miles..

Unless you are in a hurry, I'd wait for one to show up closer to home... Some place where you could drive it home in a day.. or get there and back to check it out on a Saturday..

No point in over-paying for an '04, just because it fits your budget... As the year goes on, you'll see more and more used '04s.. They have only been on sale since January.

regards,
    kyfdx

• jbx3jbx3 Posts: 5
    With regard to getting out of your lease, have you tried Leasetraders?

It's a pretty cool internet site that brings buyers and sellers together and allows customers to release someone else's vehicle without all the big costs associated with terminating a lease early.

Because of the high residuals owed to the finance company that allow for lower lease mo. payments, it's pretty hard to sell your leased car and not get smacked finacially.

This may or may not be a good option for you but you might want to at least check it out.

Just wanted to pass along the info.
    Thanks for the suggestion...

I looked into swapalease, but Infiniti is one of the few leasing companies that will not completely release you from obligagtion when someone take over your lease. You remain on as a co-signer. Also, at $586/mo for the next 48 months, my car is not exactly a bargain.

Depending on how much cash I need to shell out up front, if I can save $100/mo or so on payments I can come out on top in the long run. The payment that kyfdx came up with would be perfect.
    I've got another one...

2004 X3 3.0
    Steptronic
    Sunroof
    Privacy Glass
    Leatherette
    MSRP $40,520
    Best they could do was Invoice + $1000 but they would eliminate some fees so that it was close to Invoice + $500. I'm still waiting for them to call back with final number.

Money Factor .070
    Residual 57%

Does the money factor make sense?
    The X3 2.5 has a money factor of .0007

The X3 3.0 has a money factor of .0005

57% residual would be for 15K miles per year.

Looks like they are bumping up the MF, or might just have misquoted the 2.5 model MF. There are a lot of different MFs to keep up with, with all the different series and models.. would be easy to misquote that number.

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    Original post: Hi, the dealers final price is 33705, which is 400 over invoice. but he says Mats are 100 extra! plus 299 processing fee. I think this is ridiculous. any thoughts????

Answer:
    Is $400 profit on a $33000 item ridiculous?

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• khastakkhastak Posts: 18
    Please suggest a BMW Dealers with the best Prices in Cleveland (greater Cleveland) ohio. Secondly is it a good time to buy 05 model now or wait it Feb - March 05 ? I may buy BMW X3 2.5
  • parniparni Posts: 14
    why dont you pay 5K over invoice the next time you buy a car and then also bend over??
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    who says about paying $5k over invoice?

if you end up with such a deal, and the dealer will only make $400 profit, how can you expect to get a freebies like mats thrown in. Those cost $$$ too.

Be happy you got such a good deal, if you don't want the mats don't take them!

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• Is this a good deal? I ordered an X3, 2.5 with Sport Package, leather, cruise control and xenon lights, 6-speed for $33,000? Thanks
  • kohinahikohinahi Posts: 103
    2004 or 2005?? It's about $750 over invoice for a 2004. If the pricing is going to remain the same for 2005 models, it is definitely a good deal.

If the truck is a 2004, try to get closer to invoice ~ try to get it for $250-$500 over invoice. This dollar amount should include everything except for TTT.