Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cmd224cmd224 Member Posts: 9
    I am a first time BMW buyer and I am interested in the below CPO BMW X3 3.0i:

Mileage: 22,858
    External Color: Jet Black
    Interior Color: Black Leatherette
    Transmission: Automatic
    Price: $37,900

Installed Options:

Automatic Transmission
    Navigation System
    Panorama Moonroof
    Dark Wood Trim
    BMW Assist
    Privacy Glass
    Heated Front Seats

Is this a good price? What should I expect to pay? I need help! :confuse:
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    A local dealer has a new 2005 X3 with the Premium Package, heated wheel, and all the options you mentioned-excluding Nav-for a MSRP of $39870. I'm certain you could get it for $1500-$2000 less. Why in the world would you buy a 23K mile used X3 when you could get a new one for almost the same price?
    I guess I never thought of it that way. Thanks for waking me up :)
  • dlscarnutdlscarnut Member Posts: 6
    :confuse: I was quoted the following for a lease on an 05 X3 with automatic, Premium, upgraded radio, xenon, silver grey with black interior. MSRP was $40,800. I didn't get the MF or residual, but before we started talking he was bragging about "ridiculous money" including a MF of .001 and residual of 63% for a 39 mo/ 12k per year. Bottom line: $1,500 down and $459 per month 39mo/12K. I wasn't prepared to do it for anything over $400/mo based on the research I've seen on these posts. Am I unrealistic????? They surprisingly weren't motivated to sell as they initially indicated they were dealing with sticker as a result of the high residuals offered.
  • dmxydmxy Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if the following quote is reasonable for an '05 X3 3.0,
    -automatic trans
    -white, beige leatherette
    -navigation system
    -price $39220, with discounts $36,320
    -residual 60%

for 15,000 miles a year and 39 months:
    - $1,000 down and $457 / month
    - $0 down, $485 / month

for 17,000 miles a year and 39 months
    - $0 down and $489/month

don't know what my MF is, should I ask? how can I negotiate this?
  • wahpahwahpah Member Posts: 1
    has anyone priced out an X3 with Aerodynamics kit? If so how much did they charge you for that?
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    Mauro, Sorry about the pun. I was obviously referring to Mauro of North Haven, and good luck getting any discount from them!

2 1/2 years ago they gave me a quote on a 325i with premium, cold and xenons that was $55 more a month than Watertown on a 330i with sport, cold and xenons. The sales person was explaining to me the comfort level of the premium package. What a joke! Watertown even threw in a set of once used snows for me for free they got back from another car. Used them for 3 winters including when I got the car and never had a problem.

I am really having a hard time now with my next car. I need more space in a big way, just need to be sold on the look of the X3. Which is bringing me to the X3 posts a lot these days to hear what people think.
  • atamiratamir Member Posts: 10
    Hi Everyone,

This message board is fantastic! Wouldnt want to lease without it. Could someone please help me out with what the absolute lowest lease i could get would be on an '05 X3 3.0 with Leather?

If someone could break everything down for me with the lowest cost for each item that would be very helfpul! That way i can walk in to the dealer and have knowledge of how well they are pricing it for me.

Also, anyone have experience dealing with DiFeo BMW in Tenafly, NJ???

Thanks!!!!!
    2005 BMW X3 3.0i
    - Color: Black w/ black interior
    - Premium Package
    - Heated front seats
    - Heated steering wheel
    - Privacy glass

MSRP: 39,795.00
    Purchase Price: 38,795.00
    Cap Cost Reduction: $0
    Term (months): 39
    Residual %: 62%
    Money Factor: 0.001
    Payment + tax: $463.87/month

Is this a good deal? I think i could get my monthly payments lower.. :confuse: .
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    Not too good..

1) $1000 discount.. $2K-$3K off MSRP seems to be the going rate..

2) They also seem to be marking up the money factor, or possibly the acquisition fee... Unless.... Does your payment include tax? Isn't PA tax around 9% on leases? This might not be that bad of a deal, if that payment includes the tax..

Example:

$39,795 MSRP
    $37,795 Selling price ($1K less than your price)
    $38,420 Cap cost (selling price + $625 acq.fee)
    39mo./39K lease
    Money factor .0010
    Residual 62%

Payment $416/mo. + tax... About $454/mo including tax..

Please note that I included the acquisition fee into the cap cost.. Under this scenario, you would only pay 1st payment, security deposit and title/license at signing... I have the feeling that you would be paying the acquisition fee at signing, in addition, the way their deal is structured..

They really can't mess with the residual.. Make sure you are getting the base money factor (.0010) and the base acquisition fee ($625)... That, and another $1000-$1500 off the selling price, and you've got a good deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The monthly payment does include the 9% tax, but i will definitely take your words of wisdom and go back to the negotiating table :) I was thinking that i could get more money off the selling price...

Thank you sooooooooooo much for your quick response and help! I will let you know how it goes!

cmd224 :) b
  • mdanemdane Member Posts: 10
    I get $400 a month not including tax for cmd224 using the numbers in your post -- 39,795, 37,795+625, 62% resid and .001 MF for 39 months. The only reason I ask is that I want to make sure I am doing the math correctly. :confuse:

Also I went to the BMW web page and tried to back calculate things on the lease. I get a money factor of about 0.0004 and a 63% residual using their fine print. They list $36995 as the price and a residual of $23,307 after 36 months. They include a $900 acquisition fee into the cap cost, and a $2500 down payment. That gives a cap cost of $35,395. For a $359 monthly payment, I get the 0.0004 money factor.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Sorry for the confusion. It all works out now on the cmd224 lease.

However, I still get a MF of 0.0004 and 63% residual on the newest BMW lease for the X3. If this is true, I am going to get one asap! Any help is appreciated.
    The one thing they don't list is the selling price... You are assuming MSRP as the selling price, and it is likely about $1000 below MSRP..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It seems strange that they would advertise a price below invoice when they promote invoice pricing everywhere else. Do you know this for sure, or are you taking a guess. I suppose it makes sense. I wonder if there is a $1,000 dealer incentive built into the lease, rather than an undisclosed "discount"?

How would one go about finding this out?
    I haven't reverse engineered this deal... but, BMW generally figures their special lease deals at $1000 under MSRP....

You wouldn't want to pay sticker price for a car, would you?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

39 mo/15k mi – 60% Residual Value – Money Factor .00100 Base Rate

This way.. you don't have to guess..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I wouldn't pay sticker, but the default for everything in car pricing sticker price, even the discounts. That is why I was wondering if there was a $1,000 factory to dealer incentive built into the lease. It would explain why the lease deals are so great -- the dealers get $1,000 for every one they do at "cost".

Just curious as to where you get your information from. I don't mean to be challenging you -- you clearly know what you are doing and provide a lot of help to everyone. I am new and just trying to understand this whole thing before I go into a dealer and have to challenge him face to face.

Thanks.
    Example..

Car has MSRP of $40K

Dealer invoice (cost) is $36,500

Selling price of $39K ($1000 under MSRP)

Dealer gross profit of $2500...

No factory to dealer incentive needed...

That is why the fine print says: "Dealer contribution required.... which may affect final price".. or.. some other legal mumbo-jumbo...

The lease prices are low on the X3s, because the residuals are artificially high (my opinion), and the money factors are below market rate (.0010 is equivalent to 2.4%). They really don't require any extra selling price incentives to come up with a good lease deal..

When you go to negotiate with the dealer.. you need to know the base money factor, the base acquisition fee and the residual... and, insist that they use the base rates.

Then, you have to negotiate a selling price for the vehicle.... On an X3 right now, that should be at least $2K below MSRP... $3K under MSRP is not unheard of, though may be more difficult to achieve..

And, remember... any single dealer may refuse to do a reasonable deal... Sometimes you have to shop around..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I understand what you said, but I still maintain that it is out of the ordinary. We all know that nobody pays sticker. The dealers are free to set the price as they see fit, and the company itself sets the list (sticker) price. Now they are setting the selling price, or at least changing it. There are two ways to do this. One is to tell the dealers that they have to honor it, even though it is a different "price" than the typical price. Or two, they have to compensate the dealers by offering some kind of incentive.

I just wanted to confirm that essentially, BMW has also implicitly set a maximum selling price lower than sticker (assuming that someone goes in and asks for the lease special).
    It is my experience that this is typical.. Not just with BMW, but almost every manufacturer... It would be kind of silly to advertise a national lease program, and use a monthly price that is higher than you would typically get..

And, it locks the dealer into nothing... Remember this: "Dealer contribution required.... which may affect final price"..

So, I disagree with your characterization that BMW is setting a maximum selling price... or, that it is any different from any other advertised lease program..

The dealer is still free to charge any price they wish... In fact, my local dealer will use the national advertisement in the local paper,but with a higher price.. reflecting bumped up money factors..

I think this is typical, rather than unique..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It is silly to advertise a sticker price when selling prices are lower too. All of the pricing stuff is silly, depending on your perspective. But I appreciate your information. At least now I know what I am dealing with. I also emailed BMWUSA to see what they say the selling price is, if they will tell me.

Well, assuming a 0.001 MF and 63% residual (10k miles) the dealer contribution is assumed to be $1,250. Then all the numbers work. :)
    I found two dealers in the DFW metroplex willing to sell at more than $3,000 under MSRP. 2005 X3 3.0. MF .0010 and 62% residual for 39 months (12K/yr).
  • frankp22frankp22 Member Posts: 1
    This message board is fantastic. Thanks to everyone here I decided to buy an X3.

I went to the dealer today and asked about placing a 2006 ordered. I was told that I could, because they just got the prices. So I placed an ordered for a X3 3.0 2006. Dealer said the order will have a September build and October delivery.

The base MSRP of the car was $36,800. Which I believe is a $500 increase from 2005. All the extra's I ordered like heated front seats and Satellite prep had the same prices as in 2005.
  • lukeocytelukeocyte Member Posts: 5
    Hi!,

Can you recommend a dealer in the DFW area? There are 4 BMW dealers that I know of, but which one would be the best to deal with in your opinion? I'm looking to get a 06 X3 3.0 with just about all of the options or maybe a comparably equipped 05 X3 3.0 (it depends if there are any major improvements/changes to the 06 model).

I don’t have a trade in and I’m looking to buy within the next 3-4 months. Thanks.
  • jeffkahnjeffkahn Member Posts: 7
    I am a newbie to leasing. I am looking at X3 3.0i. The internet sales person that I am dealing with is offering 1000 above invoice. What other factors should I look for? Is that good?

Thanks...

Jeff Kahn
  • mikenymikeny Member Posts: 10
    I would say Invoice with base lease rates is normal , everything above invoice bad. Also make sure your MFactor max 0.001 and resid 12k miles 62% and you will get nice x3 3.0 40kmsrp for less than 400$/m including tax.
    Invoice is what the dealer pays for the car... How can they sell at invoice, use the base rates and still make money?

jeffkahn.. $1000 over invoice.. and the base money factor and acquisition fee will make for a great lease deal.. But, it won't be under $400 for a $40K unit, unless you are making a downpayment..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The offer I got was X3 3.0i, Premium package, cold weather package, privacy glass and xenon headlights...

For 36 month lease, 10k per year, it came out to 444.78 (that's including my 8.25% tax).

Does that sound like a good deal?
    Sounds good... What was MSRP? How much money due at signing?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

MSRP is 41,170. He said invoice was 38345 and the lease was based on 1k over that. My intial payment would be 3928 at signing.
  • atamiratamir Member Posts: 10
    Hi kyfdx,

I'd like to walk into a BMW dealer with the intention of leasing an X3 3.0. Could you give me a general lease scenario that i could present to him that would be a "great" deal? The only option i'm interested in is the leather...

thanks a lot!!!

P.S I am located in NJ
    That should equal about $411/mo. + tax...

To get that, I took your selling price, added on $625 acq. fee, then subtracted $1500 for a cap cost reduction...

Upfront should be:

$1500 cap cost reduction
    $125 tax on ccr.
    $450 security deposit
    $250 license/tags

That only equals $2325... About $1600 less than what they want... this tells me they are marking up your money factor and acquisition fee...

Also.. I wonder why they aren't writing the lease for 39 months, as that is the lease special that BMW is running this month.. and makes for a much better deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

$40K MSRP
    $37,500 selling price
    $38,125 Cap cost + $625 acq.fee
    39mo./15K lease (48,750 total miles)
    Residual 60%
    Money factor .0010

Payment = $425/mo.+tax.. About $445/mo. including tax..

Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit, title/license... (about $1100-$1200)

That would be a great lease.. Since base price is $37K, and leather is $1450, I just went with $40K, as almost any you find on the lot will be that much..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sugarbellysugarbelly Member Posts: 29
    At this price-point, - reconsider buying the X3. This is a wonderful lease vehicle.
  • mikenymikeny Member Posts: 10
    Point is, BMW need to sell those cars(X3) , this way dealers try to sell it at invoice price. if they cant do it above invoice. Its not that easy but its possible if you have 7-10 dealers around your city + 10-20 leasing companies around. Those cars doesnt sell well, a lot of old stock cars needs to be sold now, not 6 months later or in 2 months they will go below invoice. This is a normal market place and if your product doesnt sell your trying just to push it in for any price. For BMW its very uncommon to keep 20-30 cars in stock(most of the dealers have 15-20 cars an aver. for now) Look on Acura, Nissan, Infin. and ... they all sell under invoice for some models. Also with gas prices around 3$ its problematic to sell 20miles/gal SUV. As for the dealer profits its more complicated than you think ... they make money on volume + above invoice(not our case) + more $$ from BMW for each car they sell with in a month, more cars sold = cheaper the next car for the dealer. If you are in the area with 1 small BMW-FORD-NISSAN dealer they do not have volume and will not sell at invoice.

Regards, and shop around.
  • delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    2005 X3, Metallic paint, Premium package, 36 months @ 10,000 mi/year

MSRP 39,270 (incl 695. destination)
    Cap cost 36,895
    Sign & drive 1,257.
    fees
    Residual 24,740.
    Rent 2,552.
    Base payment 408.52
  • kpjkpj Member Posts: 6
    kyfdx,

I am looking to lease a 2005 X3 3.0i that has a MSRP of $39,945. First offer by dealer was $560/mo for 39 months plus tax tag title. I countered at $37,600 ($1000 over invoice) using your MF of .00100 and 60% residual for a payment of $438/mo plus tax tag title. The dealer came back with their final offer of a $520/mo payment plus tax tag title based on a MF of .00165 and 60% residual. . Am I missing something or can I get a deal close to what I figured elsewhere?

Please give me some advice on how to proceed. I am in the S.E.

Thanks,
    You'll probably have to try more than one dealer... Not sure exactly where you are, but Nalley BMW in the Atlanta area has a reputation for dealing... Or Passport in Maryland...

Some dealers just won't budge..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kpjkpj Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. I am in SC and called an Atlanta dealer who gave me a payment based on your MF and residual and agreed to $1000 over invoice, but is steadfast on a $450 refundable security deposit. Is this necessary? Total cash at closing is $1322.57. SC sales tax is a maximum of $300, tag and title no more than $50. Is the rest going to there bottom line? Thanks for all of your help.
    Yes... security deposit is necessary.. They will waive it, but it involves a mark-up of the money factor... which is a bad deal..

The $450 comes back to you at the end of the lease...

The $1322 includes the first payment and the security deposit... So, there should be nothing extra going to the dealer... That seems normal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Although I didn't buy from them, I highly recommend Moritz in Arlington, TX as their internet sales department is amazing. I bought at BMW of Dallas as they had the car I wanted. Keep in mind that BMW of Dallas is now owned by Auto Nation and the service and showroom is par for Auto Nation. There are only a handful of 05 3.0's left in the metroplex. If you're going to wait 2 to 3 months, I assume you're going for an 06.
    My deal:
    2005 X3 3.0
    MSRP $40,820
    $1,000 total due at signing including first month payment
    $418 per month
    39 month/ 12k

Love the car, especially the upgraded radio option!
  • seeker6seeker6 Member Posts: 2
    Ok...if I were just writing a check to a dealer, and I offered, let's say $36000 for a fully loaded 2004 X3 3.0L automatic/premium pkg/sport pkg/premium sound/nav with 16K miles on it...

What are the MINIMUM extras I can expect on the contract?

Meaning, I know there's an acquisition fee (around 595 or so), taxes and title (how much would title be?), and a doc fee (the dealer is saying it's standard at $150).

Is there anything else I should be wary of? I told them I won't pay ad fees, but that's about as far as it's gotten.

And, does 36K sound fair? They seem to not be willing to budge on $37995 that they advertise. Seems odd.

So, what else is standard on the contract...and what should I absolutely reject.

Thanks for your help!
    Acquisition fees are only for leases.. You aren't leasing an '04, are you?

Do you really want all of those options? If not, you'd be better off finding a new $41K MSRP '05 and getting it for around $39K...

Tax, title and license fees vary by state..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• seeker6seeker6 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not leasing...buying it from a dealer (2004 bmw X3). So no "delivery charge" or anything like that? Just want to make sure.

Any other charges besides tax, title and license fees? PS - I'm in NJ

Thanks so much for your help and feedback.
    No.. there shouldn't be..

Agreed upon sales price
    Tax (6% in NJ, I think)
    Title, license, maybe some EPA tires fees, state inspection.. Maybe $300 total.

That should be it..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• amirasamiras Member Posts: 20
    Here's the quote i've got from my dealer:
    X3 3.0i

MSRP: 40,445 (including destination charge)
    Invoice Price: 37,035 (including destination charge)
    Cap Cost: Invoice + 1000 = 38,035
    Acq. fee: $625
    Adjusted cap cost: 38,660
    Money factor: 0,001
    Residual value: 63%
    Lease term: 39 months/ 10K year
    VA Sales tax: 3%
    Monthly payment: $435.22

Does this sounds good? I'm between this and an X5 for $490 a month (only option automatic and cold weather package).
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Angel
    I get $402/mo.+ tax...

I like this deal better than the X5... But, again.. how do they get $33/mo. for tax?

This is a better equipped vehicle at this price level than the X5.. Plus, in another six months, the X5 will be replaced by a new model... Something that won't happen with the X3..

If you need 12K/miles per year, it is just another $10/mo..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• amirasamiras Member Posts: 20
    When I say including tax I mean including sales tax. Does that sounds right? He might played with the number a little bit so I'm not sure how he got to that number. In any event, thanks for your reply and I assume both are good deals, right? Or is anything else I can get out of it?

Angel
    They both look like great deals.. But, if tax in VA is just on the lease payment, then it looks about $15/mo too high... that is about $600 total..

But, even with the extra $600 the deals look very good.... I like the X3 the most.. And, be sure and take the 12K mileage allowance if you aren't sure... It is only another $390 over the life of the lease...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator