Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Well Merc the Audi has arrived and I know you like them along with Mercedes....They are really vastly different cars each with their fine differences..I got the sports suspension--a real gamble for me--and find it to be just what I hoped it would be...As you have said many times in the past, the feel of a car is so personal that words really can not convey what the feeling is..I can say that I do not really think any of the mmi-idrive-or mercedes`version are configured in a way to be worth the aggrivation of using them. I know there are alot of options but , so far , I don`t think all these selections are necessary or will be used that often, unless they program them so they have to be used each time you start the car. I would venture to say that the Lexus may not go this route....On the Audi I have begun to make headway undrestand the many functions so I am not coming from ignorance....I can hardly wait to be able to see the Mercedes in the flesh, and further to use the command setup..Tony
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I'm really glad you've got your car! I hope it is everything you expected. I am surprised you got the sports suspension though. Can we get some pics on the Audi A8 thread?

M
  • Are there any plans for a 4matic CLS in the near future? Otherwise I need to have a separate winter car for Cleveland, OH.
    Are there any plans for a 4matic CLS in the near future?

No CLS 4Matic models will be built according to everything ever said about the CLS.

M
    It appears that for 2007 the E and CLS models will no longer use the SBC braking system. I didn't think Mercedes would spend the money to make such a running change, but apparently it is being incorporated with the facelift of the E-Class and since the CLS uses the same chassis it will also lose the electro-hydraulic brakes. Whoopie!

Article

Smart, but costly move.

M
    I assume that this also applies to the ML 500 as well ?

In an earlier post I replied to this with a "yes" regarding the ML500 becoming the ML550 with the new 5.5L V8. However, Mercedes debuting the new GL with the new 4.6L 340hp V8 first which begs the question as to whether a ML450 will replace the ML500 or with they have both the ML450 and ML550 for 2007. I'm looking for the Detroit autoshow to provide some answers on this.

M
    The new GL-Class:

GL-Klasse

M
    Per the article, upcoming MB models.

1) The S 65 AMG, featuring a 612 horsepower V12
    2) The CLK 63 AMG, featuring a 482 horsepower V8
    3) The E 63 AMG, featuring a 515 horsepower V8
    4) The CLS 63 AMG, featuring a 515 horsepower V8

Article/Source

I'd say the CLS/E models are a given since the E is due for a facelift and the CLS is just a fancier E-Class. A 482hp CLK63 is going to be a monster. The S65 AMG is a given.

M
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    Is it just me, or does thing look like the offspring of a 4 Runner-XC90 tryst?
    No it isn't just you. It does look like a number of SUVs to me too. That is one of my problems with it, while good looking, it isn't distinctive enough for a Benz.

M
    It's a shame and a step backwards for MB. I think their design of new models -- E, CLS, ML, R and now the S -- has been pretty good and a huge step forward for them. The GL leaves me cold.
    So far we know about the new S-Class - S450, S550, S600 and now the S65 (which should be here by late summer).

The new GL-Class - GL450 is only model slated for the U.S. so far, can't see why we won't get the larger V8 GL500 (GL550 in the U.S.). On sale in late March/early April.

At some point over the next 6 months the CLK500, E500, CLS500, R500, and ML500 will all switch over to the new 5.5L V8 (382hp) and become "550" models. Not sure if there will be corresponding "450" models of any of these with the smaller 4.6L V8 with 335hp as in the new GL450. I doubt there will be any more 450 models than the S450 and maybe a ML/R450.

G-Class (the original) is scheduled to get a facelift after being granted a few more years of life. This should include the new generation V8s also.

Then we have the ML63, R63 and the inevitable CLS63, E63, CLK63, S63, CL63 and SL63 models. Only the ML63 and R63 have been shown so far, both with 503hp. The rumor mill puts the E/CLS63 at 515hp and the CLK63 at 482hp. Source

Then there is the pending diesel push. A ML320 CDI has been confirmed for the U.S. market for the 2007 model year. A R320 CDI is also likely as is the E320 CDI all with the new V6 replacing the old I6 engine.

The new CL should be presented at the Geneva motorshow in March. Also on the stand should be the facelifted E-Class and possibly the facelift SL also, both with the engine changes noted above.

I suspect the S450 will make its official debut at the L.A. autoshow on Jan 4th since the S65 has now been shown.

M
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Man that is a torrent of new cars-engines...I am particularly curious about the new S...I feel it will be winner on the technology front, but still have reservations on the wheel arches...It is hard to imagine that many minds just doing the arches for no purpose...One small thing that my Audi has, that I would never have thought to be meaningful, is the adjustable arm rests...I have found them to be a great addition...Tony
    Yep, 2006 is going to be a big year for MB I predict. They have a decent amount of new and/or facelifted product coming and every V8 will be upgraded at some point like the V6s were this year. New managment at the wheel should be a big plus. Since the S-Class seems to be a hit elsewhere in the world I'm sure they wait breathlessly to see how it will do here.

M
    Sales are in for the U.S. for 2005 - 224,421 units, up 1.3% vs 2004.

2005 MBUSA Sales

All the work was done by the ML, CLS and SLK. C-Class did post the highest sales month on record for Dec 2005. The new R-Class did contribute also, finally posting a decent number for Dec 2005 - 2,430 units. Maybach is floundering to put it lightly. Mercedes actually sold more SLRs and the SLR costs more, a good deal more actually.

Predictions for 2006 - long and tough year for the C-Class in the face of a new 3-Series and Lexus IS. E-Class will get some spice this summer with a facelift/new engines. New S will be a hit. New CL when it arrives this fall, couldn't possibly do any worse than the current one did in 2005! Until that new CL arrives however, expect the current model to become one of the "rarest" Mercedes on the road. New GL will do ok, won't be as big a hit as Mercedes would like, for various reasons. SLK and CLK sales will spike come spring/summer 2006. SL will reach previous heights once the face-lifted model arrives, still though 10K sold at 90K a piece is far from being "bad" in 2005. Lastly I think the Maybach 57S will add a few sales in 2006. It surely is the first Maybach model I truly like.

Prediction for 2006 volume - 250K units. Hope this thread is still here a year from now to see if I'm right!

M
    Hey Merc1: I read the news, too (0h, boy.) Is it just me, or are the sales figures really, truly troubling for MB, despite the happy talk in their press release? All of their sedan sales are down significantly, and as you point out, only their newest vehicles bailed them out here. I am a big MB fan, but wonder if they have a handle on what's wrong. I think that they bungled the R class intro and marketing (I own one and its a truly outstanding and unique vehicle) and the E class is the finest mid-size sedan in the world period, but the market is not selling well, even with a new engine and major incentives.

Dieter better hurry....
    Well the way I see it all of their core models are either old (C,S) or middle aged (E), and that is where the volume will come from once these models are updated. The new S should turn things around, as should the facelifted E-Class. I see what you're saying, but I don't think it is anything to worry about, yet. Now if this new S does a R-Class type launch then we've got a problem because MB sedans are where the big volume always comes from. The E had a better year than I thought it would considering all the newer competition. The C, well it has a long road ahead of it, that 2008 model can't come soon enough. Still though with all the bad press in 2005 they still managed to wind up selling over 31K cars in one month! That is an astounding number for Mercedes in this country.

It seems that others like BMW and Lexus all now have newer core models (sedans) while Mercedes has been updating their SUVs/Coupes/Roadsters. Now as Mercedes' sedans get some attention the sales will come, if not a problem indeed. This new S will be the first indicator. Still though the R-Class was a big chance missed. I have several theories as to why it has gotten off to such a slow start, with the price/options ratio being the main one.

M
  • Thankyou soooooooooooooooo much. I wanted to see some high-res pics of the S65 AMG. And here they are. Thankyou once again. :) ;)
    Your welcome!

M
This discussion has been closed.